The Folly of Scientism

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Simple Minded

Re: The Folly of Scientism

Post by Simple Minded »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:
I know, I know- all the real scientists and real thinkers agree with you and no one else in human history has thought about this as hard, deeply or carefully as you.
Like I said before: .....even better than not listening to another is blissful ignorance of their existence and embracing the delusion that everyone thinks you're a genius..

Some people don't need external, physical, invisible fences.... they have internal, mental, invisible fences..... ;)

and for some, they should be set to a higher voltage... :o
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Parodite wrote:. . Kmich flunked the sophomore level and dropped out before he learned to walk and now plays with Marcus in the sand box.
Tacky, tacky, Rhapsody . . such hubris is unbecoming . . :( . . or are you perhaps channeling Ibs?
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

You guys have spent seven pages arguing what, exactly? That sometimes the scientific approach (i.e., the synthesis of human reason and demonstrable, factual evidence) yields answers that are later found to be incorrect? Profound!

The biggest irony of all here is that if I told the irrationalists here that they were wrong -- about, say, politics, medicine, religion, evolution, nuclear physics, whatever -- they would demand a logical, evidence-based argument. "Scientism".

Now, the merits and risks of technocracy, meritocracy, and central planning are an entirely different matter altogether and have nothing to do with "revelation" or magic. The critics of rule-by-experts make many good points and their best tools against the system are skepticism and science, not "revealed wisdom". The problems that result from seemingly "scientific" decision making stem from bias, overconfidence, and inadequate frameworks that seeks to quantify things inappropriately and apply inadequate models to them. It's a lack of humility that is the problem in our society, and that has nothing to do with "scientism."

What exactly are the proponents of religious metaphysical reasoning proposing here? That we make decisions impacting billions of human lives how, exactly? Reading holy books, praying, and taking thoughts that pop into our heads as revealed truth?
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Zack Morris wrote:You guys have spent seven pages arguing what, exactly? . .

What exactly are the proponents of religious metaphysical reasoning proposing here? That we make decisions impacting billions of human lives how, exactly? . .
On the basis of categories such as beauty, truth, and goodness . . about which Scientism has nothing whatsoever to say approaching a final word unless one, a priori, assumes Materialism/Scientific Materialism/Atheism/etc., etc., etc.

Take it or leave it . . but never the twain shall meet . . :o
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Mr. Perfect wrote: This idea of science VERSUS religion is mostly about A) CATHOLICISM and B) EVOLUTION/MMGW

The stuff P alludes is not very substantive, because the spanking of CATHOLICISM by science is something that does not apply to non Catholics, Christian or otherwise. So often P aims his guns at people that don't deserve it, particularly because it was non Catholic and even Catholic scientists who did the spanking. Historically the inventors of science and the foundation laying scientists themselves were all passionate Christians, motivated by a Christian search for truth. The non Christian scientist has been a recent phenomenon, and it should be noted that they are horribly disrespectful and ungrateful toward the Christians who laid the foundations.
Wrong. Non-Catholic Christians make a bewildering array of claims that are untrue, from relatively unimportant (creationism, "flood geology", the migration of Jews to North America in Biblical times), to actively harmful (faith-based healing, the notion of homosexuality as a socially destructive force, etc.)
As far as MMGW and Evolution, MMGW is obvious garbage and the MMGW fundamentalists are the obvious enemies of science. Evolution, which is rejected by the vast majority of Americans, isn't even science.
The vast majority of Americans are dunces who not only lack even a basic, working knowledge of science, struggle with algebra, and exist in a state of complete ignorance of the history of even their own civilization. You could probably find a study that shows a majority of Americans believing that at one point in history, some guy built a ship and saved two of every animal from the complete flooding of the Earth. This is literally how stupid Americans are.

You've been spanked on this topic repeatedly. Evolution (speciation, the acquisition of new traits, and the development of new genetic material) itself has been demonstrated in the lab. Time cannot be turned back and we cannot observe every single birth of every single animal that ever existed leading up to present day humans (and neither can we prove that beyond living memory, human lineages converge to common ancestors, but few dispute the science of DNA), but within observable and testable limits, evolution remains the only viable theory for the origin of species. We understand the molecular basis for evolution and have plenty of DNA, fossil, and geological evidence that is consistent with the proposed theory. By contrast, there is zero evidence for creationism whatsoever. It has never been observed in the laboratory. There is also zero evidence for virtually anything described in the Bible, including the existence of Jesus himself.
Eg, I don't believe in evolution, at all, and it didn't stop me from getting an EE and becoming proficient in electricity and other physics subjects, at all.
I don't believe in God, and that hasn't stopped me from, well, anything! Nikola Tesla refused to believe in electrons and Albert Einstein refused to accept the probabilistic interpretation of quantum mechanics, and they remained relatively productive. So what? Should we stop teaching chemistry? I know plenty of EE and CS folks who not only believe in evolution but were inspired enough by its mechanics to adapt them to solving difficult engineering problems.
Last edited by Zack Morris on Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Marcus wrote: On the basis of categories such as beauty, truth, and goodness . . about which Scientism has nothing whatsoever to say approaching a final word unless one, a priori, assumes Materialism/Scientific Materialism/Atheism/etc., etc., etc.

How do you know? Have you studied these topics from a scientific perspective? The science of morality and of our aesthetic preferences is a topic of very active interest. Some rudimentary insights are already being leveraged for profit.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Zack Morris wrote:
Marcus wrote: On the basis of categories such as beauty, truth, and goodness . . about which Scientism has nothing whatsoever to say approaching a final word unless one, a priori, assumes Materialism/Scientific Materialism/Atheism/etc., etc., etc.

How do you know? Have you studied these topics from a scientific perspective? The science of morality and of our aesthetic preferences is a topic of very active interest. Some rudimentary insights are already being leveraged for profit.
Yes, yes, Zack . . bless your heart . . tons of stuff out there on the subject . . Google "biology of morals" and other such stuff for starters.

And how do I know? Same way you do . . I believe . . pay your money and take your chances.

Everyone starts from one premise or the other—Materialism or Theism—and reasons from there, but never the twain shall meet. Get over it . . ;)

mCT-My1_ViA

FPeyJvXU68k
--- Richard Nixon
—John Calvin
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Marcus wrote: Everyone starts from one premise or the other—Materialism or Theism—and reasons from there, but never the twain shall meet. Get over it . . ;)
I believe because I have been convinced and can reproduce the proofs myself. That is not the case with theism. The more that science is demonstrated to people, the less they choose theism.

The question for you is: if, to a given subject, both premises can be applied, why should we ever choose theism?
Marcus

To St. Zack, the Evangelist . . .

Post by Marcus »

Zack Morris wrote:
Marcus wrote: Everyone starts from one premise or the other—Materialism or Theism—and reasons from there, but never the twain shall meet. Get over it . . ;)
I believe because I have been convinced and can reproduce the proofs myself. That is not the case with theism. The more that Scientific/Philosophical Materialism* is demonstrated to people, the less they choose theism.

The question for you is: if, to a given subject, both premises can be applied, why should we ever choose theism?
No, you believe because you assume one premise or the other, and your beliefs subsequently define your facts. And, no, you cannot reproduce the theories of, say, biological morality . . that is philosophy, and it's called Philosophical Materialism.

Why should we choose Theism or Materialism? You wouldn't believe my answer if I gave it to you, so, dunno . . whatever winds your clock. Pay your money and take your chances. In the meantime, relax . . the world's not going to come to an end if we all don't convert to your religion any more than it will if not everyone converts to mine.
--- Richard Nixon
—John Calvin
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Simple Minded wrote:
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:
I know, I know- all the real scientists and real thinkers agree with you and no one else in human history has thought about this as hard, deeply or carefully as you.
Like I said before: .....even better than not listening to another is blissful ignorance of their existence and embracing the delusion that everyone thinks you're a genius..

Some people don't need external, physical, invisible fences.... they have internal, mental, invisible fences..... ;)

and for some, they should be set to a higher voltage... :o
Well, I nudged this thread because its interesting and should be further discussed. However one fences things is a whole other matter; but maybe it's true that good fences make good neighbors. ;)

But I am quite serious about the problems of representational realism; and I am not alone in that regard, even if there are many more whose erudition and attentiveness better expound about the problems.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:. . the problems of representational realism . .
Representational Realism sounds to me like another, tired rehash of Aristotelian forms.

Objective reality exists, and all things are what they are relationally.
Unknown.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg (4.16 KiB) Viewed 1129 times
Description:
This study, which is based on the 1992 Bampton Lectures delivered in the University of Oxford offers a theological analysis of and response to the modern world, and is at once a theology of culture and of creation. In the first half of the book, Professor Gunton expounds some of the distinctive and often contradictory features of modern culture. It is contended that the difficulties arise from inadequacies in the way both social and wordly beings are conceived, but that far from being unique modern culture here reflects similar inadequacies in ancient thought. The distinctive pathos of modernity is to be found in one unique feature, namely the displacement of God that is a mark of all realms of life. The roots of the problem are sought beyond the Enlightenment, where they are often located, in the combination of Platonism and Christian theology which dominated mediaeval Christian thought. At the heart of the matter is a deficient, because inadequately trinitarian, understanding of creation and creation's God. The second half of the book develops a theory of trinitarian transcendentals, whereby the relations between God and the world, and with it the distinctive being of the world - both personal and impersonal - can be conceived. The theology of createdness which results gives due weight to both the universal and the particular, both society and the individual.

Review:
There are two parts to the book. In part one, “The displacement of God,” Gunton analyzes the roots of modernity and the subsequent cultural crisis, namely fragmentation and disengagement. He argues that modern culture (he includes postmodern culture) has bred an anthropology that views others as instruments. He says, “we use the other as an instrument, as the mere means for realizing our will, and not as in some way integral to our being” (14). Christian theology did not provide a sufficient apologetic to combat this defective conception of man. In fact, Gunton argues that the proclivity towards a more monistic, hegemonic medieval theology laid the foundation for the Enlightenment revolution. Both extremes, a conception of man as independent and autonomous and a Gnostic conception of man, are equally flawed. Gunton argues that much of modern social and political thought is a revolt of the many against the one. But, in revolting, man has been displaced, making himself god, where he was never intended to be. Because he is displaced in his relation to God, he has consequently been displaced in his relation to creation and his fellow man.

What Gunton offers, in part two of the book, is an attempt at a Trinitarian metaphysic, one that accounts for a proper relationship between the created world and man, between man and God, and between man and man. He emphasizes that due significance be attributed to the one and many, which can only be ultimately found in the Trinity. Gunton seeks to formulate a “trinitarian sociality in the light of which we may understand something of who we are and what is the world in which we are set” (8). He argues that human beings must be understood relationally rather than in terms of fixed characteristics, such as reason or will. He says, “individualism is a false creed, because it teaches that I do not need my neighbor in order to be myself” (32). According to Gunton, reality reflects the perichoretic relationship of the Trinity; everything “contributes to the being of everything else, enabling everything to be what it distinctively is”(166). Gunton calls Christians to a deeper understanding of the Trinitarian order of being and, more importantly, to reflect that order in our lives and in our world.
--- Richard Nixon
—John Calvin
NapLajoieonSteroids

I believe the best way to summarize representational realism as understood today has already been said by Parodite. It is to say that while there is real content in outside world that does not disappear when you are not thinking about it, the way you engage with the "outside stuff" is predicated on your inner space because it is the master brain that processes the sensory experiences and concepts. That picture Parodite posted really says it all. Outside content is substantial enough that we can have common approximations and consensus on what a tree is; but our subjective perceptions may differ. We shouldn't worry about any differences too much because that tree is real,and so it is really giving off that sensory experience.Something is wrong with my eyes or brain if I see an evergreen as blue or pink. That's not coming from the tree which light puts in the green spectrum. So the whole range of questions the subjective-objective dichotomy opens up are important but probably nowhere near where some of the rationalists and idealists of the past 400 years took it. No need to kick around the ideas George Berkeley. And as it is, representational realism does really well because it is coherent enough with our empirical sciences. Take the electron. Is it real? Yeah. Well, what is it? Can't say, but we got a whole slew of sense datum from it that explains and conceptualizes it pretty damn well. It also comports pretty well with our mapping of the brain. If my brain is damaged in some way, it is going to effect my perceptions of the outside world.

But it is in this later point we encounter our first problem. The observations of brain damaged may be convincing in itself, but only if you presume beforehand a whole host of things. In order to say that there is a correlation between the pathologies of the brain or mind and abnormal perceptions, one must start by defining such things as what a healthy brain/mind is how that is the norm. Further, one would need to explain that if it all is processed in the mind, what that mind is and how could we tell if we were dealing with a mind in the first place. (Also have to prove that the whole kit and kiboodle is a process to begin with.) If the subjective-objective dichotomy can be empirical justified, it is only because we presume it beforehand and accept the correlations of observation and fact to those presumptions. There is nothing in the data to suggest that one couldn't start elsewhere and come to a wildly different conclusion. Daniel Dennet being a prime example already mentioned; or at the other extreme, the total denial of any 'out-there' out there. With a non-significant, non-normative differences in what we call brain states as well as an extreme malleability of the organ and incorporeal mind, there is no proof that what we sense has any correspondence or coherence to anything that may be outside of that mind area.

And what can you say to that last point? Nothing. Because the empirical method treats the data itself and say nothing about what is underlying it. There is something incommensurable going on here.

All this is to say that it is a just-so theory. The moon remains the moon even when you aren't looking because it is just the way it is. That evergreen tree sense data is just so, so we musn't question the whys or hows. The commonality of our sense data despite our subjectivity is just so. The way to interpret the data is just so. Everything is just so and if you question that, you belong in a sandbox.
Last edited by NapLajoieonSteroids on Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Zack Morris wrote: Wrong. Non-Catholic Christians make a bewildering array of claims that are untrue, from relatively unimportant (creationism, "flood geology", the migration of Jews to North America in Biblical times),
Well we have a lot of company with seculars. If you get to make bewildering untrue claims then you have to let other people do it also.
to actively harmful (faith-based healing, the notion of homosexuality as a socially destructive force, etc.)
But we're looking for statistically significant harms.
The vast majority of Americans are dunces who not only lack even a basic, working knowledge of science, struggle with algebra, and exist in a state of complete ignorance of the history of even their own civilization.
Takes one to know one. Do you read any of your own posts?
You could probably find a study that shows a majority of Americans believing that at one point in history, some guy built a ship and saved two of every animal from the complete flooding of the Earth. This is literally how stupid Americans are.
Flood myths perpetuate many ancient cultures. But check this out, seculars believe that something came from nothing, and life came from rock soup. They literally believe that. Forehead smacking.
You've been spanked on this topic repeatedly.
Not really.
Evolution (speciation, the acquisition of new traits, and the development of new genetic material) itself has been demonstrated in the lab.
No it hasn't.
Time cannot be turned back and we cannot observe every single birth of every single animal that ever existed leading up to present day humans (and neither can we prove that beyond living memory, human lineages converge to common ancestors,
Which is why there are real limits on knowing with any certainty things that happened in the past.
but few dispute the science of DNA), but within observable and testable limits, evolution remains the only viable theory for the origin of species.
It's not viable, and the standard for science is not how many theories there are but how well it conforms to the scientific method.

So far evolution and abiotic genesis do not conform to the scientific method at all and so can be dispatched as nonsense.
We understand the molecular basis for evolution and have plenty of DNA, fossil, and geological evidence that is consistent with the proposed theory.
Provide it whenever you are ready/
By contrast, there is zero evidence for creationism whatsoever.
That's not what creationists tell me.
It has never been observed in the laboratory. There is also zero evidence for virtually anything described in the Bible, including the existence of Jesus himself.
Same with a great many historical texts. But people tend to believe in many historical texts anyway.
I don't believe in God, and that hasn't stopped me from, well, anything! Nikola Tesla refused to believe in electrons and Albert Einstein refused to accept the probabilistic interpretation of quantum mechanics, and they remained relatively productive. So what? Should we stop teaching chemistry? I know plenty of EE and CS folks who not only believe in evolution but were inspired enough by its mechanics to adapt them to solving difficult engineering problems.
I have heard many times that rejecting evolution means you reject science itself and will then be incapable of thinking or doing any science, and I'm merely providing evidence that that is just more liberal BS.

And now would be a good time for you to apologize for your past lies and false charges.
Censorship isn't necessary
NapLajoieonSteroids

I'm splitting this up because I understand the above to be a quick rehash of the thread, and paradigm shifting is unconvincing to everyone thus far. And I want to get to the argument about intention.

But first I got to say that is isn't so much the concepts of representational realism that I'm opposing but the fixation, particularly the subjective-objective divide. I believe it is missing the forest from the trees because it does not get to the root of epistemological matters. It doesn't tell us much; it's not that useful. The interesting questions are elsewhere.

It takes a very sharp and clever mind to argue against subjectivity as observed with any success. Trying to avoid subjectivity is like trying to outrun your shadow. Even if we don't accept current brain-mapping as meaningful, we can see that our contemplative side is something of a reflexive consciousness which projects outwards our sense-impressions. And as you've said, which I cautiously agree with, the notion that we conceptualize sense-data seems spot on.

But that conceptualization is not some magic process where we contemplate from the inside out, but an act of will and doing that we only think about after the fact. That inside is a generative act or creative event- it starts the minute we leave the womb and start 'doing.' The thinking, and more importantly the representation, starts latter. It is only through community that you are able to 'think' and 'represent'. Which is what Wittgenstein was getting at when he said that you can meaningfully say, "I know what you're thinking," but cannot meaningfully say, "I know what I'm thinking."

Intention plays a huge role here. If we were to look again at your inside-outside picture, there is no room for intention. You can never say the little cartoon man picture knows anything; because he is trapped in a cycle of thinking about sense-data instead of acting on sense-data....

Think about it this way; if I hand you a painting of a garden, there is no reason why either of us must look upon that painting and conclude that the canvas represents anything beyond a series of brush strokes of certain pigments. We can only say it represents a garden if we admit that this is our interpretation. But in order to explain how we interpret the painting as representing a garden, we have to explain how we think of the painting as a representation of a garden, and then we would need to explain thinking and that leads us merely to us as thinkers and says nothing about what is actually occurring.

We need not get so caught up on whether the painting represents anything because when we get together to discuss the garden painting, we understand implicitly that we both observe and accept the painting as a garden because we already observe a unity of indirect reference in the human experience. You have no need to point at the canvas and go, "That is a garden." First, pointing itself is not self-explanatory of anything; and secondly, we transmit language and 'thinking' through indirect reference. Your picture-man only works because you grew up absorbing that the concepts of the picture-man dichotomy indirectly signifies our relation to the contents of the world. Yet, unlike your picture man who passively receives sense-data. You and I, through that indirect reference unity, draw out of things by certain sensitivities or sympathies. Maybe I'd make a bigger deal out of a certain segment of a real garden, and being the lunkhead I am, I'd completely not process something quite obvious to your eyes. Then if we were to draw our impressions, our own paintings would reflect these differences. Our difference, however, is not an "unknowing" that we should be skeptical about but approaches of apprehension that may or may not compliment each other. And underneath it all, is a certain certitude that we both assent to about the existence of that real garden with real content that may be apprehended and later comprehended.

Which is NOT a representational process. The act occurring, our creative acts, draw out the symbolism that is happening in our heads. The real dichotomy is between our actions and suppression; that some of have more vivid interior lives than others doesn't matter until they wish to communicate in a representational way. But that doesn't occur until we produce symbols that can be shared between one another or are personally meaningful. The activities here come first. Those symbols are shared in what seems to be a type of extralinguistic grammar that is universally identifiable by all humans.

And it is here I find the more interesting questions and questions that are perhaps more answerable. Why is it easier for humans to communicate indirectly? How does this universal grammar arise? What are the mechanisms of symbolism projected outward get adopted as representational? Why do we desire things to be representational? What is the relation to our actions to the contents of the world and the content in our beings? What brings humans together in certitude? There are many fruitful avenues here that better account for psychology and biology if we accept that we generate symbolically prior to any representational cogitations.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

NapL, thanks for throwing in some meat.

The thread starts to diverge into different subjects like representational realism and intention. I'll just try recap my view on Scientism and in what way representational realism (also sometimes termed indirect realism) is relevant in this context in my view.

The definition of Scientism is not very clear or fixed.

In the early days of the concept, it was rather extreme, sharp edged and also most criticized. The claim that the scientific method was the only method that could produce knowledge, that it can be applied in all areas of human life equally successfully, that if something has not been empirically tested and retested empirically full circle... no knowledge has been produced. And if something hasn't produced knowledge.. it has no value or meaning and must be dismissed, sent to the trashcan of religious beliefs, superstitions, paranoia and wishful thinking, "proofs" without any evidence, pseudo science, seeing faces in the skies.

The above definition of what science is, what it is good for while dismissing "the rest" as worthless trash... is a very narrow definition of science and false in a number of ways. Then the concept of Scientism got more calibrated and modest in its claims about science and the scientific method.

Now the latest up to date version of Scientism I found was one I actually agree with. The word "superior" is removed from the equations and an important other concept introduced instead: reliability. This results in a definition of what "Scientism" claims and can be termed Scientism According to Parodite (SAP) if you insist that my version can only be apocryphal:

SAP: Scientism claims that the scientific method produces the most reliable information about ourselves and the world we live in.

Of course, since I agree with the above statement about science, I might as well stop calling it Scientism because the term only confuses and distracts from the claim made. So "SAP:" can be replaced with a simple "IMO" :

IMO the scientific method produces the most reliable information about ourselves and the world we live in.

What I mean with the above cannot go without the issue of representational realism, i.e. what it means to do science and "on what" it is we do science. I'll try to recap that later. Why the "in-here" and "out-there" matter big time.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:. . It is only through community that you are able to 'think' and 'represent'. . .

. . we already observe a unity of indirect reference in the human experience. . .

. . Why is it easier for humans to communicate indirectly? How does this universal grammar arise? . . What brings humans together in certitude? There are many fruitful avenues here that better account for psychology and biology . .
The question now is "why," . . why must we communicate in the context of community, why does the human experience exhibit unity, and from whence does such universal grammar arise?

And finally, from what frame of reference and toward what end do we seek a better account for psychology and biology?
--- Richard Nixon
—John Calvin
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: .....Why is it easier for humans to communicate indirectly? ....What brings humans together in certitude?

There are many fruitful avenues here that better account for psychology and biology if we accept that we generate symbolically prior to any representational cogitations.
Nap,

Somewhat tongue in cheek:

Lack of details! Everyone loves pizza. They splinter into groups when the details of square or round, thick or thin, sauces, toppings, who makes it, who bakes it at wht temp and for how long, who pays and who gets to eat it!

Everyone loves change they can believe in! In order to keep the peace, ditch the specifics!
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Great thread so far. Thanks to all.

Why can't humans agree on the definitions of common terms? I'm guessing it has more to do with desired social interactions rather than defining reality.

Simplifying:
We all learn when children that "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." Yet somehow as adults we think that justice, fairness, truth, reality, racism, offense, compliments, etc. are not subjective?

Five year olds on the playground argue who Daddy could beat up the other Daddy (perhaps these days it is whose Daddy has the latest smart phone). As adults we extend those concepts to nations, cultures, religions, philosophies, pickup trucks, wines, beers, etc. Mine better. Yours worse. Uggh!

The idea that the outcome of stepping in front of a train going sixty miles an hour, or jumping out of a 40th floor windows, or grabbing hold of a 440VDC cable.... will be influenced by ones knowledge of physics or medicine..... doesn't seem valid. :)

The dudes at the next table seemed to be really chic..... then I noticed they ordered last year's hip wine and one was wearing fur.....

Living in first world nations with so much time on our hands for leisurely discussion........... is this a great planet or what?
NapLajoieonSteroids

Parodite,

You are right that the discussion is moving away from scientism, I didn't mean to derail the original discussion but I think it is something that needs to be addressed with the main topic- something That we should swing back towards. I will wait to comment on this and your points when you finish your thoughts.
Zack Morris

Re: To St. Zack, the Evangelist . . .

Post by Zack Morris »

Marcus wrote:
Zack Morris wrote:
Marcus wrote: No, you believe because you assume one premise or the other, and your beliefs subsequently define your facts.
Either a premise can be substantiated with logically coherent arguments and evidence or it cannot. You seem to be taking issue with the very concept of reason and of facts. If something cannot be reasoned through or demonstrated with facts, then there is no difference between it existing and not existing. So, theism by definition cannot lead to any sort of wisdom, only random speculation.
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Mr. Perfect wrote: Well we have a lot of company with seculars. If you get to make bewildering untrue claims then you have to let other people do it also.
Secularism's reliance on science ensures that incorrect beliefs are purged over time. Secularists held many discredited beliefs at the turn of the 20th century. The flexibility of secularism has made it a force more conducive to human advancement than any religion.
But we're looking for statistically significant harms.
Religion, Christianity being no exception, leads to irrational discrimination against non-believers, which produces a statistically significant level of harm. The history of Christianity demonstrates this beautifully. Given power to do so, Christians interfere with the rights of others to engage in relationships, commerce, and even scientific thinking freely. Today, Christianity has been overpowered by secularism.
Flood myths perpetuate many ancient cultures. But check this out, seculars believe that something came from nothing, and life came from rock soup. They literally believe that. Forehead smacking.
Everyone believes something came from nothing, but not everyone has a coherent theory, deduced from experimental and mathematical reasoning that produces testable hypotheses about the nature of reality.
Evolution (speciation, the acquisition of new traits, and the development of new genetic material) itself has been demonstrated in the lab.
No it hasn't.
Yes it has. You've been shown the evidence on numerous occasions and simply move the goalposts each time. By your incomplete understanding of the scientific method, it is not even scientific to claim that humans gave live birth more than a century ago. It is no more scientific to claim this than to claim that humans were created and delivered by storks until ca. 1900. Nobody can prove otherwise, right?
Time cannot be turned back and we cannot observe every single birth of every single animal that ever existed leading up to present day humans (and neither can we prove that beyond living memory, human lineages converge to common ancestors,
Which is why there are real limits on knowing with any certainty things that happened in the past.
There are also fundamental limits on what we can directly observe. Scientists as far back as the 19th century had to grapple with this.
but few dispute the science of DNA), but within observable and testable limits, evolution remains the only viable theory for the origin of species.
It's not viable, and the standard for science is not how many theories there are but how well it conforms to the scientific method.
You have a severely limited understanding of the scientific method. Inductive reasoning is an acceptable part of science. Larger theories are inferred from smaller observations. This is why theories cannot be proven true but can be demonstrated to be false. The theory of evolution is not only a valid scientific theory but an enormously successful one. Thus far, nothing has been discovered that is inconsistent with the theory.
So far evolution and abiotic genesis do not conform to the scientific method at all and so can be dispatched as nonsense.
False. Given the appropriate initial conditions, there is nothing precluding the formation of proteins and amino acids. If you understand the physics of how something is created, you can work out the conditions under which it could have been formed. That's a fundamentally scientific approach.
By contrast, there is zero evidence for creationism whatsoever.
That's not what creationists tell me.
You can't believe everything you hear. You have to subject it to the rigors of scientific reasoning first. And creationism fails every time.
I have heard many times that rejecting evolution means you reject science itself and will then be incapable of thinking or doing any science, and I'm merely providing evidence that that is just more liberal BS.
Well it is in effect a rejection of science. It is perfectly possible for someone to reject science and build functioning electrical circuits. That does not mean such viewpoints need to be treated with equal consideration. Few scientific theories have led state authorities to persecute their proponents, and evolution happens to be one of them (in both the United States in the early 20th century, and the Soviet Union). The other famous example is the theory of the heliocentric universe. Both challenged Christianity's notions of the nature of the universe and of man's place in it, demonstrating that religion will tolerate science only until it is applied to the most interesting and important question of all: who are we? And what good is science if it cannot be applied freely to such important matters? Therefore, to be anti-evolution is typically to be anti-science.

For those concerned with actual science, evolution is the foundation of modern biology:
Darwin’s methodology revolutionized the life sciences, setting the stage for major advances in twentieth-century biology. Prior to Origin, natural historians primarily engaged in describing and naming organisms, along with studying their anatomy and physiology. To establish his claim that organisms evolved over time by means of natural selection, Darwin had to lay out a vast array of empirical evidence drawn from many different areas of natural history and then formulate “one long argument” to explain these observations (Origin, p. 459). Darwin relied on the use of analogy and inductive reasoning to support his theory of natural selection. Invoking the philosopher William Whewell’s notion of “consilience of inductions,” Darwin argued that any theory that was able to explain so many different classes of facts was not likely to be false. After 1859, Darwin’s hypothesis-driven research program, now called the “hypothetico-deductive” method, in addition to his particular theory of evolution, became the foundation for future work in biology.

Thus, Darwin’s legacy to posterity lies as much in revolutionizing the methodology of the life sciences as in offering particular views about evolution. Wallace and others likely would have introduced evolutionary views describing lawful change in organic life. Yet it is hard to envision any work that would have been able to match the persuasive power of “On the Origin of Species,” not simply in explaining the diversity of life but also in instructing naturalists about how to investigate complex relationships. Indeed, “On the Origin of Species” continues to serve as a striking exemplar of how to do good science. Historians generally shy away from engaging in “what if” stories, but most would agree that had “On the Origin of Species” not been published, we would still believe in evolution, but the development of modern biology would have unfolded much differently, and with less striking success.
Marcus

Re: To St. Zack, the Evangelist . . .

Post by Marcus »

Zack Morris wrote:
Marcus wrote:
Zack Morris wrote:
Marcus wrote: No, you believe because you assume one premise or the other, and your beliefs subsequently define your facts.
Either a premise can be substantiated with logically coherent arguments and evidence or it cannot. You seem to be taking issue with the very concept of reason and of facts. If something cannot be reasoned through or demonstrated with facts, then there is no difference between it existing and not existing. So, theism by definition cannot lead to any sort of wisdom, only random speculation.
Zack, I'm way too old and too tired to rehash such nonsense. You're welcome to your religion.
--- Richard Nixon
—John Calvin
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

That's an unsatisfying response. You've been rehashing this "materialism" vs. "theism" theme for years, so I doubt you've grown too old or too tired. You're simply frustrated that you can't define or articulate how something that is, by definition, non-objective, non-observable, and non-verifiable differs from a state of non-existence.

It's actually a profound point. If for any theistic experience there exists a plausible materialistic interpretation (one that is explainable and reproducible), then from the perspective of any human being, there is no difference between the existence of a theistic reality and the complete lack of one.

This isn't a matter of religion but of the limits of perception and reason. Anything that cannot be experienced or perceived or reasoned about is effectively non-existent until demonstrated otherwise. And for that to be possible, you have to interface with the material world.

Basically, believing in materialism is equivalent to believing in any combination of materialism and theism.
Marcus

Pissing in the wind . .

Post by Marcus »

Zack Morris wrote:That's an unsatisfying response. You've been rehashing this "materialism" vs. "theism" theme for years, so I doubt you've grown too old or too tired. You're simply frustrated that you can't define or articulate how something that is, by definition, non-objective, non-observable, and non-verifiable differs from a state of non-existence.

It's actually a profound point. If for any theistic experience there exists a plausible materialistic interpretation (one that is explainable and reproducible), then from the perspective of any human being, there is no difference between the existence of a theistic reality and the complete lack of one.

This isn't a matter of religion but of the limits of perception and reason. Anything that cannot be experienced or perceived or reasoned about is effectively non-existent until demonstrated otherwise. And for that to be possible, you have to interface with the material world.

Basically, believing in materialism is equivalent to believing in any combination of materialism and theism.

Zack, just like me, you're a believer too . . we both believe . . you have your religion, I have mine. Surely you have better things to do than try to rehash something that has never been settled and never will be in this age.

Seriously, give it a rest . . for your own sake . . ;)
--- Richard Nixon
—John Calvin
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Marcus, do you think it is possible to drink coffee, taste it, experience the process, give your opinion about that cupacoffee to the friend sitting next to you... without needing presuppositions, beliefs of any sort?
Deep down I'm very superficial