The Worst Translation in History

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Ibrahim

Re: The Worst Translation in History

Post by Ibrahim »

noddy wrote:now that ive finished having a laugh at a cute typo.

isnt the "one" issue the age old quantitive/qualitive issue we always get when bringing maths into the real world (1) or are we back in the rocks dropping on feet side of it ?

im losing track a bit.

(1) workable subset of the unknowable infinite which our limited senses and puny little brains can keep track of well enough to survive.
I'm just asking Dio what he actually means. Whether or not it is practical or metaphysical isn't even on my radar at this point.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Ibrahim wrote:I'm just asking Dio what he actually means. Whether or not it is practical or metaphysical isn't even on my radar at this point.
It's a pity Mohammed is not alive anymore to ask him the same questions, grill him over these issues as thouroughly as only you are able to. Hence it is a bit hard to keep him on your radar at this point? Or is the metaphysical, populated with imaginary entities and personalities died long ago, the only place of peace for you.
Deep down I'm very superficial
jj_appelbaum

Post by jj_appelbaum »

Dioscuri wrote:
Ibrahim wrote: What is "the Signifier" supposed to be?.
Anything.
So you don't really have an answer. That's cool, I didn't think you did.
I asked this of Parodite and he did not respond, so perhaps it has produced some enlightenment, and perhaps it will for you too.

Have you ever seen anything that was not a One of something?

Possibility?
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Dioscuri wrote:
Parodite wrote:So all that "exists" is the Signifier. How did "you" come to that conclusion?
Have you ever seen something that wasn't a One (or a group of Ones)?].
Please tell more about the Signifier and all that is One or a group of Ones.

Let's do some more poetry, not cut the cake but smear some for bad or worse cream on it.

[poetry]
What I see is a fountainhead of meaning, arising from different similarities and similar differences, a never ending fractal reprocessing of self and not-self (it and not-it, this and other), that curls up and is stretched flat again, curls up again...ad infinitum. Chaos and complexity driving the wheel, with new emerging properties arising... and disappearing again. There is only one "Law", that of creation and destruction. Known "laws of nature" are as temporal as anything else. They just have longer life cycles.

The center of this "One" wheel of being is the holy grail, but it is never found because it is "absolute nothingness". Never this, nor that. It can never be true, nor false. It is the center of your One, perhaps. Unknowably, and Absolutely Nothing. Unconditional nothingness that allows for One to exist and all its manifestations.

"Absolute nothingness" sounds like the title of an existentialist horror movie starring by J.P. Sartre. But this place, that is not a place, is also our home where nothing is in the way, where all is unconditional. Its memory is called Love, or God.
[/poetry]
The scoffing of materialists at the notion has been familiar to us for centuries and millennia, and it continues, even while those who are properly informed have known since the Copenhagen Interpretation that the "objectively existing" world-model is simply not scientifically supportable.
I think that is a wrong characterization of the Copenhagen Interpretation. It merely argues that doing measurements at the quantum level means interfering at the quantum level which has a consequence for as how one must understand an outcome where "observer and observed" (i.e. measurement device and what it is supposed to measure) cannot not be seen as separate really. Scientists of all quantum brands however agree there exists an objective world independently of the experiential interface and models that "arise in human consciousness". It is a necessary assumption for science in general and it seems to work out quite well.
It means that being conscious is an interference at the quantum level.
Quantum interference occurs everywhere, also in a table spoon. Table spoons however, are usually not considered to possess any conscious awareness. Sentience and human conscious self-awareness are emergent properties of certain complex configurations of quantum systems notable arising in carbon-based life on earth.

In my view the mistake people make is considering "consciousness" as something extreeeemely special, even basic and of the highest order in Da Universe! It is however and as such a totally overvalued and misunderstood phenomenon of much less importance than people usually think.
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Rhapsody wrote:
Ibrahim wrote:I'm just asking Dio what he actually means. Whether or not it is practical or metaphysical isn't even on my radar at this point.
It's a pity Mohammed is not alive anymore to ask him the same questions, grill him over these issues as thouroughly as only you are able to. Hence it is a bit hard to keep him on your radar at this point? Or is the metaphysical, populated with imaginary entities and personalities died long ago, the only place of peace for you.
Thanks for the off-topic interjection, Rhap. In case anybody forgot about your biases for a second you were kind enough to remind us all here in the philosophy section. Worthwhile post. Poison every thread so I can't have a conversation with other people about other subjects.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Ibrahim wrote:Thanks for the off-topic interjection, Rhap.
You are welcome, my friend. We are here to help each other out in times of need.
noddy

Post by noddy »

jj_appelbaum wrote:
Dioscuri wrote:
Anything.
I asked this of Parodite and he did not respond, so perhaps it has produced some enlightenment, and perhaps it will for you too.

Possibility?
=]

though strictly speaking we are back at square one and staring at infinity then.
ultracrepidarian
jj_appelbaum

Post by jj_appelbaum »

noddy wrote:
jj_appelbaum wrote:
Dioscuri wrote:
Anything.

Possibility?
=]

though strictly speaking we are back at square one and staring at infinity then.

Does it stare back? :shock:
noddy

Post by noddy »

jj_appelbaum wrote: Does it stare back? :shock:
a certain german philosopher thought so.

im not the one to ask, being mad and depressed isnt a good advertisement for your thought process, so i only do philosophy at arms length and with appropriate safety apperatus.
ultracrepidarian
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Sorry. I am late to the discussion, but my father had a stroke in February and recently passed. I apologize for ignoring my friends.

From the Christian POV, an understanding of the Trinity is required by Christians because it is mentioned and is of critical consideration in Christian scripture. St. Jerome believed it was evidence of the fact that God was understandable and indescribable.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Condolences with the passing of your father, Nonc.