Religion

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Mr. Perfect

Re: Religion

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Typhoon wrote:US bear market in [institutional] religion?

Interesting correlation to relative worth of RE in general.
Censorship isn't necessary
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Enki wrote:"Buddhist Nirvana is Christian Hell".
I've seen this quip before many times from many places, and it is entirely correct. So is the obverse except that its harder to state so succinctly given the strange (to those West of the Khyber) nature of Buddhism.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Azrael wrote:
Ibrahim wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:Many types of Buddhism. In Sri Lanka Buddhism comes with AK-47's and grenade launchers.
So in your view the civil war with the Tamil Tigers somehow reflects on Buddhist theology?
In Sri Lanka, it is Hinduism that comes with AK-47s and grenade launchers -- the Tamils are Hindu. It's the (pre-British) Sinhalese who are Buddhist.

In truth, Buddhists have ranged from pacifist to ultra-nationalist militarist and everything in between. As have Christians, Hindus and many other religious groups. The basic theology of a religion doesn't seem to prevent its members from committing violence, or condemn its members to commit violence.
Religion help to rationalize committing violence against non-believers.

The same applies to secular -isms.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
AzariLoveIran

Post by AzariLoveIran »

read recently , that in Japanese culture, no such thing as SIN

"Shame" is what for Abrahamite is SIN

interesting phenomena

would mean, Japanese do not have G_D, hell, paradise and all the related stuff

interesting to know, what Japanese think of what happens after the death ?

Last edited by AzariLoveIran on Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Demon of Undoing

Post by Demon of Undoing »

Pokemon. Pokemon as far as the eye can see.
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Demon of Undoing wrote:Pokemon. Pokemon as far as the eye can see.
I knew a guy in college (Canadian of some kind of Celtic background) who "converted" to Shintoism largely based on his love of Japanese cartoons and comics.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

t5gm9hoTw6Y
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Ibrahim wrote:
Demon of Undoing wrote:Pokemon. Pokemon as far as the eye can see.
I knew a guy in college (Canadian of some kind of Celtic background) who "converted" to Shintoism largely based on his love of Japanese cartoons and comics.
That's amusing.

I've never heard of any rite for converting to Shintoism.

I developed a great love of Looney Tune cartoons, but I didn't feel the need to convert to, say, Mormonism or Scientology [the two indigenous US religions that I can think of . . .]
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

d9gFNwC8Qp4
Deep down I'm very superficial
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

The Internet as the "church" for atheists and agnostics

Interesting observation. Pre-internet it was difficult to avoid enculturation by one's family and community and few places to question without fear of punishment and/or ostracization.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:The Internet as the "church" for atheists and agnostics

Interesting observation. Pre-internet it was difficult to avoid enculturation by one's family and community and few places to question without fear of punishment and/or ostracization.
It is interesting, those who seek to avoid the confirmation bias of local culture/family/community can empoly search engine filters to seek out the confirmation bias they prefer. Don't trust ________! Trust Google!

Every person is a unique individual, with a unique environment, unique background, and who filters out most of the infinite amount of information that is available to them on a constant basis, yet we still seek consensus for our own personal vastly simplified world views. Pascal's "the desire to live an imaginary life in the mind of others...." comes to mind.

Expectations, interpretations, and delusions are internal.

Conundrum: those who expect people to be unique seem to tolerate differences and appreciate common ground better, while those who preach "tolerate diversity" while expecting conformity and consensus often seem to be both vessels and catalysts of hate and discontent. One can read that statement as either applying to "the Left" or "the Right".... depending upon our own confirmation bias.

The mental states of "I wonder..." "What if....." "How come..." "Do ya think that...." are now easily replaced by a search engine filter and 0.43 seconds of idle time.

Maybe that's why some feel God is more present in the woods, in a field, in a good book, or in a crowded airport than in a "house of God" that seeks conformity of opinion. Where do individuals experience life as a constant?

Those who expect God or politicians to make the world a better place than it is, or people better than they are, seem destined to be disappointed.

Reading the article and comments, it seems impossible for people to have original thoughts regarding either religion or politics (especially Old Bullshitters and Young Whiners!!). We have either heard it all before or said it all before.

Maybe that is the proof of our common ground. :lol: :lol: ;)
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Cardinal Carlo Martini says Church '200 years behind'

Italian Cardinal Carlo Maria Martini has described the Roman Catholic Church as being "200 years behind" the times.

The cardinal died on Friday, aged 85.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19451439
Pity he didn't make it becoming Pope.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

The hypocrisy of religion and it's adoration of "whitewashed tombs and sepulchers" has been noted since the Gospels.

This is an honest confession of fault, but the discerning person still seeks truth and the truth remains in scripture. Much is said of false prophets and of the dangers of socialized religion. Do not disclaim Scripture without reading it in it's entirety.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Parodite

Jesus had a wife?

Post by Parodite »

Jesus cites wife in fourth-century script, says US scholar

Ancient text contains a dialogue in which Jesus refers to 'my wife', says expert in the history of Christianity at Harvard

[...]
Nonc Hilaire

Re: Jesus had a wife?

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Parodite wrote:

Ancient text contains a dialogue in which Jesus refers to 'my wife', says expert in the history of Christianity at Harvard

[...]
What is not recorded is what she said when she caught him talking to those woman at the well.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
YMix

Post by YMix »

DSwG9Tojg9I
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Parodite

Re: Jesus had a wife?

Post by Parodite »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Parodite wrote:

[...]
What is not recorded is what she said when she caught him talking to those woman at the well.
Would probably fit in the Jerry Springer show.
Jnalum Persicum

Post by Jnalum Persicum »

Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Parodite wrote:

Italian Cardinal Carlo Maria Martini has described the Roman Catholic Church as being "200 years behind" the times.

+1

I've been following him for years. A giant in the Church.
cultivate a white rose
Jnalum Persicum

Azrael wrote:.
Parodite wrote:.

+1

2 paintings .. one is art the other Kitsch .. what makes one an art the other a Kitsch ? ?

Timeless

I do not believe in reforming a religion .. spirituality is absolute and timeless

If a religion needs reform, it is Kitsch

Rumi is eternal .. it will make sense even in 1000 yrs

In that sense, would not agree with Cardinal Carlo Martini saying Church '200 years behind', unless it is a Kitsch.

Look, guys .. Constantin made Rome Christian to counter next door Persian Mithra

That was a political decision, not a spiritual

in that sense

maybe good idea, as west being challenged (again) by east , not a bad idea to start "somethings entirely new" with a "clean sheet of paper" .. usually it is much more costly to remodel than built new

think about it

Last edited by Jnalum Persicum on Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Jnalum Persicum wrote:. . I do not believe in reforming a religion .. spirituality is absolute and timeless

If a religion needs reform, it is Kitsch . .
I dunno, ALI, the Moral Law is absolute and timeless. How we understand and apply it often needs reform:

"New occasions teach new duties,
Time makes ancient good uncouth.
They must upward still and onward
Who would keep abreast of Truth.
Lo, before us gleam her campfires,
We ourselves must Pilgrims be,
Launch our Mayflower and steer boldly
"Cross the desp'rate winter sea,
Nor attempt the future's portal
With the past's blood-rusted key."
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
Jnalum Persicum

Marcus wrote:.
Jnalum Persicum wrote:.

. . I do not believe in reforming a religion .. spirituality is absolute and timeless

If a religion needs reform, it is Kitsch . .

I dunno, ALI, the Moral Law is absolute and timeless. How we understand and apply it often needs reform:

"New occasions teach new duties,
Time makes ancient good uncouth.
They must upward still and onward
Who would keep abreast of Truth.
Lo, before us gleam her campfires,
We ourselves must Pilgrims be,
Launch our Mayflower and steer boldly
"Cross the desp'rate winter sea,
Nor attempt the future's portal
With the past's blood-rusted key."

Marcus , the essence of religion is not to Interpret the "absolute and timeless Moral Laws" .. but .. to DEFINE those absolute and timeless Moral Laws

In that sense, how can those absolute and timeless Moral Laws be redefined again and again with passing of time if they absolute and timeless ? if a religion needs that, would indicate it a Kitsch

Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Jnalum Persicum wrote:. . how can those absolute and timeless Moral Laws be redefined again and again with passing of time if they absolute and timeless ? . .
I agree, ALI, the laws aren't redefined, it's our understanding and application of those laws that get redefined.

What religion didn't at one time countenance slavery? What religion approves of slavery today?
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Azrael wrote:
Parodite wrote:

+1

I think the Catholic church would lose membership and go into decline, like mainstream Protestant denominations, if they liberalized too much. They could maybe back down on one or two of their crazier positions (e.g. just give out condoms in Africa FFS) but overall the fact that they are stuck in the past is part of the appeal. The fastest-growing Christian denominations worldwide are the most socially conservative ones.
Jnalum Persicum

Marcus wrote:
Jnalum Persicum wrote:. . how can those absolute and timeless Moral Laws be redefined again and again with passing of time if they absolute and timeless ? . .
I agree, ALI, the laws aren't redefined, it's our understanding and application of those laws that get redefined.

What religion didn't at one time countenance slavery ? What religion approves of slavery today ?

Well, Marcus

How can a school, spirituality, religion raise claim for "absolute and timeless Moral Laws" when at the same time condoning Slavery ? ?

How can Christianity (or Islam) claim "absolute and timeless Moral Laws" if all Cathedrals and Churches and house of worships are built (exclusively) by slaves ? ? ?

That is the acid test for Art versus Kitsch

That is why Rumi is and will stay universal

That is why I said Pomegranates will REFORM ( :lol: ) Islam

Islam of future will be RUMI