Immunizing Strategies & Epistemic Defense Mechanisms

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
jj_appelbaum

Re: Immunizing Strategies & Epistemic Defense Mechanisms

Post by jj_appelbaum »

Farcus wrote:
Marcus wrote: Circularity, that is ultimate appeal to a self-authenticating source of authority, is inescapable.
LOL It's inevitable when you "presuppose" your conclusions in your premises. :lol:

Some of us who hold a certain standard see that sort of thing as a defect, but if you think it's legitimate, then you think it's legitimate because you think it's legitimate. :lol:

Primary difference between theology and anything else is that in theology, you get to assume all your conclusions from the outset and concentrate on the literary aspects. Frees a mind right up to get to the important stuffs.

"The only meaning life has is that which it assigns itself.", seems a very circular reference, yet one central to metaphysical Materialism.
Farcus

Post by Farcus »

jj_appelbaum wrote:
Farcus wrote:
Marcus wrote: Circularity, that is ultimate appeal to a self-authenticating source of authority, is inescapable.
LOL It's inevitable when you "presuppose" your conclusions in your premises. :lol:

Some of us who hold a certain standard see that sort of thing as a defect, but if you think it's legitimate, then you think it's legitimate because you think it's legitimate. :lol:

Primary difference between theology and anything else is that in theology, you get to assume all your conclusions from the outset and concentrate on the literary aspects. Frees a mind right up to get to the important stuffs.

"The only meaning life has is that which it assigns itself.", seems a very circular reference, yet one central to metaphysical Materialism.

More tautological than circular. Life is the only thing that can 'assign meaning', experience meaning, contemplate meaning, or type the Roman letters m e a n i n g. ;)
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

jj_appelbaum wrote:. . metaphysical Materialism.
What is "metaphysical materialism"?

Sounds like an oxymoron to me . . . :?
Last edited by Marcus on Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
Farcus

Post by Farcus »

Marcus wrote:
jj_appelbaum wrote:. . metaphysical Materialism.
What is "metaphysical materialism"?

Sounds like an oxymoron to me . . . :?
I don't know either. There's an ontology called Materialism, but I don't know if that's what this is about. Ontology is not epistemology any more than metaphysics is epistemology.