Does Hell Exist ?

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Jnalum Persicum

Does Hell Exist ?

Post by Jnalum Persicum »

American bishop John Shelby Spong of the Episcopal Church. Not only does he cut through the crap that has plagued mainstream religion for centuries, but Spong finds a way to frame God and religion in a way that doesn't doom you to eternal, fiery, damnation-a-plenty hell for sleeping in on Sundays.

LkaH3hEmV3M

6AfFcAmx-Ro

Nonc Hilaire

Re: Does Hell Exist ?

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Spong is a specious source. He's most famous for believing that Paul was gay, and is a theological outlier.

Hell is in the Bible, and it cannot be simply dismissed by Christians, but it certainly isn't a major concern anymore. When life shorter and sudden death more common, it was a major focus of preaching. That has not been true in any of the major denominations for the past century. This is partly because sudden death is no longer a major concern, and because it does nothing to teach the value of Christian living.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Hell is other people.
~ Satre
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Spong is interesting, but well off in his own theoretical theological territory. That High Anglican/Jesuit tradition of intellectual exercise that is beyond what can reasonably be called Christian religion and into the realm of speculative philosophy. Sufis produce a great deal of this kind of thinking, to the horror of salafists, and there are also Jewish equivalents.

But from and orthodox religious point of view, Christianity has a Hell. The only major monotheism that might not is Judaism.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Ibrahim wrote:Spong is interesting, but well off in his own theoretical theological territory. That High Anglican/Jesuit tradition of intellectual exercise that is beyond what can reasonably be called Christian religion and into the realm of speculative philosophy. Sufis produce a great deal of this kind of thinking, to the horror of salafists, and there are also Jewish equivalents.

But from and orthodox religious point of view, Christianity has a Hell. The only major monotheism that might not is Judaism.
Agreed.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
jj_appelbaum

Post by jj_appelbaum »

Ibrahim wrote:Spong is interesting, but well off in his own theoretical theological territory. That High Anglican/Jesuit tradition of intellectual exercise that is beyond what can reasonably be called Christian religion and into the realm of speculative philosophy. Sufis produce a great deal of this kind of thinking, to the horror of salafists, and there are also Jewish equivalents.

Not for want of trying.

Marcus

Post by Marcus »

jj_appelbaum wrote:

Not for want of trying.

It wasn't Jews that "tried" for a Hell for Judaism, it was the Nazis.
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
Farcus

Post by Farcus »

Marcus wrote:
jj_appelbaum wrote:

Not for want of trying.

It wasn't Jews that "tried" for a Hell for Judaism, it was the Nazis.

"Buchenwald's main gate, with the slogan Jedem das Seine (literally, "to each his own", but figuratively "everyone gets what he deserves"). The slogan is legible only from inside the camp."
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

"Hell is for children." - Pat Benatar
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

Ibrahim wrote:But from and orthodox religious point of view, Christianity has a Hell. The only major monotheism that might not is Judaism.
They solved that problem by creating hell on Earth... Trouble is it only applies to non-Jews...
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Endovelico wrote:
Ibrahim wrote:But from and orthodox religious point of view, Christianity has a Hell. The only major monotheism that might not is Judaism.
They solved that problem by creating hell on Earth... Trouble is it only applies to non-Jews...
An amazing statement, or maybe not...
Deep down I'm very superficial
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Endovelico wrote:
I was speaking in the purely theological sense, but I am sympathetic to the idea that humans often create de facto "hell(s) on Earth" in a number of places/times.

I always took that to be the meaning of the famous Satre quote.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:Spong is a specious source. He's most famous for believing that Paul was gay, and is a theological outlier.

Hell is in the Bible, and it cannot be simply dismissed by Christians, but it certainly isn't a major concern anymore. When life shorter and sudden death more common, it was a major focus of preaching. That has not been true in any of the major denominations for the past century. This is partly because sudden death is no longer a major concern, and because it does nothing to teach the value of Christian living.
yeah..... and also that life was terrible and devoid of hope, purpose or any sense of justice. As such, Hell was just a continuation of normal business topside, only that no one was deluded with what they were about or where they stood and with whom. The constructs of a Heaven vs. a Hell didn't have much to do with social control so much as making life and human living coherent and humanely possible. We don't live in normal wretchedness, so we have the luxury of making ourselves stupid to the blunt facts of pre modern existence......
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
noddy

Post by noddy »

hell as shaudenfraude, its obvious and i hadnt spent enough time pondering it to connected the dots, despite not being christian ive known plenty of them and as nonc suggested, hell wasnt really much of a focus for them. fire n brimstone types are rare for me and typically only show up in movies.

red hot pokers for all that i despise, what a delicious thought.. hangatik, hmm.. interesting.
ultracrepidarian
Demon of Undoing

Post by Demon of Undoing »

No, Virginia, there is no hell.

Which is not to say there is no eternal punishment.