Was there once a church in Mecca ?

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Enki

Re: Was there once a church in Mecca ?

Post by Enki »

Not as I understand it. If you read "No God but God", by Reza Aslan, the Quraysh were a religion unto themselves and they had created a prosperous market town, and monarchy by monopolizing the pilgramage to the Kaaba, with its store of idols. The Qurayshi religion was very syncretic and polyglot. There were Christians right outside, like in The Yemen.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

There were certainly Arab Christians in Mecca at the time, and quite probably they met for mass or other observances together, and wherever they did so would have constituted a "church." Was there a specific, lavishly-appointed building set aside solely for this purpose? It seems unlikely but not impossible, though there is literally no way of know conclusively.

The Quraysh do not seem to have been Christians, so in no sense was it a "Christian town." Not that I think it would matter if they were or it was.
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Blood from Heaven

. . a historical tragedy, based on Quranic verses and well-documented and researched sources, the first holocaust by the man on earth. It is a disturbing tale of a Christian city which became victim to the burning fire of extremist Jewish (Zionist) religious fanaticism.

Najran, a Yemeni prominent city before the advent of Islam, witnesses Christian’s brutal massacre by the Zionist rulers of the city. Najran is famous for its archeological sites. People of Najran converted to Christianity with the call of the missionary.

At that time, the king was an extremist Jew called Yusuf Dhu Nuwas. He massacred those inhabitants who would not renounce Christianity. He burned and killed Christians in what Quran has called ‘Al-Ukhdud.’

In Quran, Chapter Al Burooj, Verses 4-7, read “Cursed were the people of the ditch (the story of the Boy and the King). Fire supplied (abundantly) with fuel, When they sat by it (fire), and they witnessed what they were doing against the believers (i.e. burning them).”

Dhu Nuwas collected the people and made them to opt from one of accepting the Judaism and renouncing Christianity, and being burned in Ukhdud blazes. Christians, but opted for the second route, and were burned in the blazes with the decree from Yemeni king in 524 AD.

Comin to a theater near you

Doc

Post by Doc »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:.

Blood from Heaven

. . a historical tragedy, based on Quranic verses and well-documented and researched sources, the first holocaust by the man on earth. It is a disturbing tale of a Christian city which became victim to the burning fire of extremist Jewish (Zionist) religious fanaticism.

Najran, a Yemeni prominent city before the advent of Islam, witnesses Christian’s brutal massacre by the Zionist rulers of the city. Najran is famous for its archeological sites. People of Najran converted to Christianity with the call of the missionary.

At that time, the king was an extremist Jew called Yusuf Dhu Nuwas. He massacred those inhabitants who would not renounce Christianity. He burned and killed Christians in what Quran has called ‘Al-Ukhdud.’

In Quran, Chapter Al Burooj, Verses 4-7, read “Cursed were the people of the ditch (the story of the Boy and the King). Fire supplied (abundantly) with fuel, When they sat by it (fire), and they witnessed what they were doing against the believers (i.e. burning them).”

Dhu Nuwas collected the people and made them to opt from one of accepting the Judaism and renouncing Christianity, and being burned in Ukhdud blazes. Christians, but opted for the second route, and were burned in the blazes with the decree from Yemeni king in 524 AD.

Comin to a theater near you.
Seems like the Romans beat them to it by a few hundred years. And that was just the Christians.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros