The tendency of tech society is tyranny

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Enki

Re: The tendency of tech society is tyranny

Post by Enki »

noddy wrote:
Enki wrote:
noddy wrote:while(1) domesday_book++

off topic but related - i dreamt up silly little black comedy with no clever tact in it that had a dual strand story - one of the scientists and keepers in the zoo and their challenges to keep the animals healthy and stimulated, the other strand our beloved elites and the masses in highrise apartments and they had exactly the same scripts.

a total oliver stone cheese fest.. ends with some poignant looking at each other through glass moment, string orchestra blazin.
I think it would work best if it culminated in one of the bureaucrats confronted with one of the zookeepers in some sort of black swan event at the zoo that turned his afternoon frolic into serious business that challenged his perception of how the world is constructed by putting him in a situation that could only be caused by the construction of the world in such a manner, but totally and completely violates the fundamental precepts of that world's order.
thats why you are a writer and my main artistic releases are music and photography, both of which speak without words :)

you got me thinking though - i like the black comedy idea of the zookeepers having the perception insight and allowing the animals a pathway back to free whilst the human bureaucrat moves in the opposite direction and the big poignant ending is the animal on the outside of the glass cage watching the human.

Haha yeah. That actually sounds like it would be a great music video. Maybe tell the story completely without words. Some kind of Jazz opera. ;)
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Demon of Undoing

Post by Demon of Undoing »

I'm actually at an old fashioned keyboard, so I will take time to deal with some longer issues.
This is what is so objectionable about people like Berzer, who after the fact come in pointing fingers but will do nothing to do the actual donkey work of doing things one day at a time, one step at at time, one brick at a time. When you elect Republicans whole scads of government oppression goes off the table, socialized medicine, taxes, government regulation, constitutional rights, on and on. Half the stuff that the GOP does that it shouldn't is to pacify the MSM into not calling us child starvers and racists. The other half can be dealt if the Democrats had been erased and the MSM broken, and a new party naturally emerging. Then we can pick and choose between those two parties. This option was rejected by people like Berzer stupidly, and it will never present itself again. Now he cheers as Christians are put on rail cars. It's good for them.
One of the more foolish things you've ever written, and this takes some doing.

1) I was arguing coherently and loudly about this by the Clinton years, when people like you were cheering it on because Clinton was too weak on turrurists.

2) You have lost your mind if you think anything significant, especially in the intelligence/military area, is ever shut down under the Republicans. Citation definitely freaking needed.

3) So your only problem-as usual- is that half the country disagrees with you outright and another quarter often thinks that your party of favor is composed of crooked cryptoNazis that have somehow convinced you that they are actually conservatives. If you have a string of bad relationships, one after another, the common problem in the equation is YOU. " If the Democrats had been erased". Really? And you have the nards to call me impractical for not lockstepping with the likes of Lindsey Graham?

4) Your Godwin/railcar fetish is pretty tired, and worse, inaccurate. Clear evidence that you really ought not even be bringing your Onanistic republican revelry into this particular discussion.
Demon of Undoing

A quote I found interesting:
The Sirens of Titan - Kurt Vonnegut

Once upon a time on Tralfamador, there were creatures who weren't anything like machines. They weren't dependable. They weren't efficient. They weren't predictable. They weren't durable. And these poor creatures were obsessed with the idea that everything that existed had to have a purpose, and that some purposes were higher than others.

These creatures spent most of their time trying to find out what their purpose was. And every time they found out what seemed to be a purpose of themselves, the purpose seemed so low that the creatures were filled with disgust and shame.

And, rather than serve a low purpose, the creatures would make a machine to serve it. This left the creatures free to serve a higher purposes. But whenever they found a higher purpose, the purpose still wasn't high enough.

So machines were made to serve higher purposes, too.

And the machines did everything so expertly that they were finally given the job of finding out what the highest purpose of the creatures could be.

The machines reported in all honesty that the creatures couldn't really be said to have any purpose at all.

The creatures thereupon began slaying each other, because they hated purposelessness above all else.

And they discovered that they weren't even very good at slaying. So they turned that job over to machines, too. And the machines finished up the job in less time than it takes to say, "Tralfamador".
Because tyranny is not the end point, actually. That happens when the machines get good enough that we can outsource the tyranny.
Enki

Post by Enki »

The machines are already good enough to outsource tyranny.

Human beings are plenty durable though.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Demon of Undoing

You are all now officially fucked.

I rest my case. Probably on everything I've said for the last seven years.
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Demon of Undoing wrote:You are all now officially fucked.

Control animals? They can already get 'roided-up sociopaths with black tactical gear and assault rifles to attack their fellow citizens just by waving a flag.
Demon of Undoing

It's recognizing the implications of present things things that make one a prophet.

No, Ib. You are soon to be the rat. They won't need Newspeak. Whatever you are thinking, they won't care. You simply will be unable to do anything about it. You're looking at a new world. No machine gun checkpoints. No Jersey barriers. No bars. As processing power+miniaturization+decreasing cost plays its game, you will be just as susceptible to whatever parameters they decide to inflict upon you as you are to being bombarded by radio waves right now. The guys with the tinfoil hats are literally correct.

This entire line of technology was inevitable and will inevitably used, and it has only one use. The tendency of tech society is tyranny
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

You've got more faith in technology than I do.
Demon of Undoing

Ibrahim wrote:You've got more faith in technology than I do.

Lost my faith in the spirit of man over machine on the Somme.
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Demon of Undoing wrote:
Ibrahim wrote:You've got more faith in technology than I do.

Lost my faith in the spirit of man over machine on the Somme.
It worked at Port Arthur though. You just gotta want it more.

Also, running instead of walking. That's key.
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Game of Drones....... Electronic Warging....

Post by monster_gardener »

Demon of Undoing wrote:You are all now officially fucked.

Thank You VERY Much for your post, DOU.

Interesting Link.......

Reminds me of Clarke's Law: Any sufficiently advanced science may be indistinguishable from magic........

Tempted to call this "Electronic Warging" as in George Martin's "Game of Drones" ;) oops I mean "Game of Thrones"............

This does seem to make drones of animals.......

Maybe we will have a "Game of Drones" :shock: :roll:

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Warg

BTW the graphic makes that rat look BIG...........
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

War tools have evolved tremendously and their tendency and potential is to make more victims per tool. Enough WMD to wipe us all out. Couple of regular bombs can kill thousands in a few seconds, earlier thousands of spears and axes were needed during days weeks or even months, years of combat. Yet the number of people killed on average per capita and per combatant group is decreasing steadily, why is that?

sjT4HlNJNgI

Why less people get killed matters if we want to guess how other evolving tech will work out in the future.
Juggernaut Nihilism

Post by Juggernaut Nihilism »

I only read the first post, so forgive me if any (all) of this has been covered.

There are two sides to the evolution and application of technology and tactics. First, you have the use of new technology by the prevailing institutions of power to preserve and expand existing control; second, you have wider availability to the general population of disruptive capabilities. Each stage of evolution tends to favor one or the other, and I disagree with DoU on which side is favored today.

This pendulum has swung back and forth throughout history and has had a determining influence on the structure of power institutions, the relationship of the individual to those structures, and even the psychology of people living under those structures.

When expensive charioteers and knights were dominant on the battlefield, worth a dozen or more footmen by themselves, aristocratic values and concentrated or feudal power structures tend to predominate. In the time of the Greek phalanx, where every man with a spear was as valuable as any other, and the success of the unit depended on each individual playing his role, the people involved took a different, more empowered view of their place relative to the state. When pikemen, and then especially gunpowder, made heavy cavalry obsolete, making the common man as effective a soldier as a knight with a fortune in his kit, Europe began to trend toward ideas of the more empowered individual.

Today, we are still in an age in which it takes massive institutions to wield the most powerful weapons of war. No pike is going to allow a common citizen to threaten an aircraft carrier. But you don't have to sink aircraft carriers to render them obsolete.

The question is not whether any individuals or group of citizens will ever be able to take on and defeat a fully-equipped nation state. It is whether the nation state's lumbering reactions to their distributed power will exhaust it until outright defeat is an afterthought. We've spoken many times of the fact that a few men with box cutters can spend a few thousand dollars for flight training and fake documents, and cause the United States to spend trillions of dollars and thousands of lives and untold morale and political capital in response. And "cause" is the right word: a giant political organization is slow-moving and constrained to only a few possible responses to any provocation. As Osama bin Ladin mocked, he can send two men with AK's to a random spot on the globe, and the United States seems to have no choice but to send the entire 7th fleet after them.

So it is not the absolute ability of an individual (or small group) to cause damage; it is their ability to amplify their capabilities by leveraging existing power structures. And I think we are currently in a period of transition, where individuals and small groups disruptive abilities are going to outweigh the capability of existing power structures to efficiently respond. When a perceptive person can bomb al Askari mosque and cause all of Iraq to burn; when a hacker in his mother's basement can cost an economy billions by taking down a power grid or a stock exchange for a few days; when two dipshits with pressure cookers can force a giant metropolitan city to go into military lockdown for days, you can be sure that the nation state is fighting a desperate battle.

Programs like Prism are not signs of confidence and power. They are signs of desperation. They are the tech equivalent of New Orleans police officers shooting citizens after Katrina: the system cannibalizing itself like an immune response run rampant and killing off the organism it is designed to protect.

For now, the power to read your email is in the hands of the NSA. It won't stay that way. We have already seen the flow of information going in the other direction (Wikileaks, Snowden, etc) and that's only the beginning. If the government can hack your brain, people will find a way to hack the president's brain too.

I have no doubt that we will eventually see levels of tech tyranny that would make where we're at now look like anarchy. It's a matter of time before another tower falls somewhere, or a Senator is targeted, or someone figures out how to weaponize a bacteria or toxin in his garage. When that happens, when a suitcase dirty bomb ruins Omaha, all bets are off. The majority of people will forget their unease and welcome their conquerors. But it will still be a sign of the tide going out.

Now, this is not cause for celebration. Giant nation states are on the wane, but tyranny sure ain't. That's a common mistake a lot of anti-government libertarians make. They think that if you starve the state, there won't be anyone left to oppress you. All you have to do is look at any part of the world with a weak state to see how much water that idea holds. The Congo is hardly a libertarian utopia.

I think we're headed toward a world in which inflexible power institutions like the current nation state are diminished. They will be replaced by much smaller, less meaningful governments that are essentially market makers, service providers, etc, and the relationship people will have with them will be more like users/customers. There will still be guys with guns making you do what they say, but they might not wear a uniform.
"The fundamental rule of political analysis from the point of psychology is, follow the sacredness, and around it is a ring of motivated ignorance."
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Russian Around but to better effect........

Post by monster_gardener »

Juggernaut Nihilism wrote:I only read the first post, so forgive me if any (all) of this has been covered.

There are two sides to the evolution and application of technology and tactics. First, you have the use of new technology by the prevailing institutions of power to preserve and expand existing control; second, you have wider availability to the general population of disruptive capabilities. Each stage of evolution tends to favor one or the other, and I disagree with DoU on which side is favored today.

This pendulum has swung back and forth throughout history and has had a determining influence on the structure of power institutions, the relationship of the individual to those structures, and even the psychology of people living under those structures.

When expensive charioteers and knights were dominant on the battlefield, worth a dozen or more footmen by themselves, aristocratic values and concentrated or feudal power structures tend to predominate. In the time of the Greek phalanx, where every man with a spear was as valuable as any other, and the success of the unit depended on each individual playing his role, the people involved took a different, more empowered view of their place relative to the state. When pikemen, and then especially gunpowder, made heavy cavalry obsolete, making the common man as effective a soldier as a knight with a fortune in his kit, Europe began to trend toward ideas of the more empowered individual.

Today, we are still in an age in which it takes massive institutions to wield the most powerful weapons of war. No pike is going to allow a common citizen to threaten an aircraft carrier. But you don't have to sink aircraft carriers to render them obsolete.

The question is not whether any individuals or group of citizens will ever be able to take on and defeat a fully-equipped nation state. It is whether the nation state's lumbering reactions to their distributed power will exhaust it until outright defeat is an afterthought. We've spoken many times of the fact that a few men with box cutters can spend a few thousand dollars for flight training and fake documents, and cause the United States to spend trillions of dollars and thousands of lives and untold morale and political capital in response. And "cause" is the right word: a giant political organization is slow-moving and constrained to only a few possible responses to any provocation. As Osama bin Ladin mocked, he can send two men with AK's to a random spot on the globe, and the United States seems to have no choice but to send the entire 7th fleet after them.

So it is not the absolute ability of an individual (or small group) to cause damage; it is their ability to amplify their capabilities by leveraging existing power structures. And I think we are currently in a period of transition, where individuals and small groups disruptive abilities are going to outweigh the capability of existing power structures to efficiently respond. When a perceptive person can bomb al Askari mosque and cause all of Iraq to burn; when a hacker in his mother's basement can cost an economy billions by taking down a power grid or a stock exchange for a few days; when two dipshits with pressure cookers can force a giant metropolitan city to go into military lockdown for days, you can be sure that the nation state is fighting a desperate battle.

Programs like Prism are not signs of confidence and power. They are signs of desperation. They are the tech equivalent of New Orleans police officers shooting citizens after Katrina: the system cannibalizing itself like an immune response run rampant and killing off the organism it is designed to protect.

For now, the power to read your email is in the hands of the NSA. It won't stay that way. We have already seen the flow of information going in the other direction (Wikileaks, Snowden, etc) and that's only the beginning. If the government can hack your brain, people will find a way to hack the president's brain too.

I have no doubt that we will eventually see levels of tech tyranny that would make where we're at now look like anarchy. It's a matter of time before another tower falls somewhere, or a Senator is targeted, or someone figures out how to weaponize a bacteria or toxin in his garage. When that happens, when a suitcase dirty bomb ruins Omaha, all bets are off. The majority of people will forget their unease and welcome their conquerors. But it will still be a sign of the tide going out.

Now, this is not cause for celebration. Giant nation states are on the wane, but tyranny sure ain't. That's a common mistake a lot of anti-government libertarians make. They think that if you starve the state, there won't be anyone left to oppress you. All you have to do is look at any part of the world with a weak state to see how much water that idea holds. The Congo is hardly a libertarian utopia.

I think we're headed toward a world in which inflexible power institutions like the current nation state are diminished. They will be replaced by much smaller, less meaningful governments that are essentially market makers, service providers, etc, and the relationship people will have with them will be more like users/customers. There will still be guys with guns making you do what they say, but they might not wear a uniform.
Thank You VERY MUCH for your post, Juggernaut.

Excellent post.

I wonder though if the response has to be inflexible........

Remembering the Russian response to the Lebanon Hostage crisis in the last century vs the disastrous US one.......

The Russians kidnapped and threatened the brother of one of the leaders of the Muslim Terrorist Kidnappers: no more Russians kidnapped vs the prolonged hostage crisis agony the US went through.......

IMVHO the Russians seem to learn faster from mistakes, theirs and others, than we do........
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Juggernaut Nihilism

Post by Juggernaut Nihilism »

Russia had a controlled media and a closed political system. Our responses, being driven much more by crowd psychology, are more predictable.
"The fundamental rule of political analysis from the point of psychology is, follow the sacredness, and around it is a ring of motivated ignorance."
Demon of Undoing

Let me make one thing perfectly clear, that to me seems implicit but was not originally explained:

Government is not the highest seat of tyranny. Absolutely not. There are larger structures that will simply use governments as tools. We see this now, where the return on lobbying is akin to hitting the lottery. In theory, there could arise structures even larger than corporate syndicates, but it would have to be either aliens or an interconnected global hive mind that fully realized the idea of the people tyanizing themselves. Big Brother is you and all.

No, at this point, I actually believe that a) the vast majority of data collected is simply garbage and uninteresting, and b) the people collecting it really are still the good guys ( mostly). Not always the best- directed and policed, but mostly good guys. Policy, oy, don't get me started.

I would agree that a huge and possibly losing defensive effort is being waged by many states. I think a more corporate internationalism is right behind it.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

This whole paranoia is just an aftermath of Gods Eye in the Sky with Hell below waiting to eat you.

God is surveillance society. God spies on your thoughts. God sees all your actions. God is almighty. God is all powerful. God can do and undo at will. Obey and be rewarded forever, or resist suffer and die.

This God is rapidly becoming a nobody:

tqrqaPThCmI

He is serving his sentence yes. But who or what will fill the emptiness he left behind? Ah yes of course... technology. :o ;)
Enki

Post by Enki »

Demon of Undoing wrote:It's recognizing the implications of present things things that make one a prophet.

No, Ib. You are soon to be the rat. They won't need Newspeak. Whatever you are thinking, they won't care. You simply will be unable to do anything about it. You're looking at a new world. No machine gun checkpoints. No Jersey barriers. No bars. As processing power+miniaturization+decreasing cost plays its game, you will be just as susceptible to whatever parameters they decide to inflict upon you as you are to being bombarded by radio waves right now. The guys with the tinfoil hats are literally correct.

This entire line of technology was inevitable and will inevitably used, and it has only one use. The tendency of tech society is tyranny
Are they one day going to lock Ibrahim in a cage strapped to your chest?
-Alexander Hamilton
Enki

Post by Enki »

Demon of Undoing wrote:Let me make one thing perfectly clear, that to me seems implicit but was not originally explained:

Government is not the highest seat of tyranny. Absolutely not. There are larger structures that will simply use governments as tools. We see this now, where the return on lobbying is akin to hitting the lottery. In theory, there could arise structures even larger than corporate syndicates, but it would have to be either aliens or an interconnected global hive mind that fully realized the idea of the people tyanizing themselves. Big Brother is you and all.

No, at this point, I actually believe that a) the vast majority of data collected is simply garbage and uninteresting, and b) the people collecting it really are still the good guys ( mostly). Not always the best- directed and policed, but mostly good guys. Policy, oy, don't get me started.

I would agree that a huge and possibly losing defensive effort is being waged by many states. I think a more corporate internationalism is right behind it.
I think this view is sort of orthogonal to the truth.

It's more like:

There are bigger power entities at work than even governments, they are not corporations. The people collecting the data are not good guys or bad guys they are cogs in a machine processing information that is far larger than they are and there are safeguards in place, not to make it so individuals are unharmed by capricious edicts, but to make sure that individualism doesn't overtake the administration of the machine. We are reaching a place where even the top tier wealthy 1% masters of the universe elites are relegated to being simple cogs in the machine.
-Alexander Hamilton
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Enki wrote:We are reaching a place where even the top tier wealthy 1% masters of the universe elites are relegated to being simple cogs in the machine.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Media Matters playbook leaked for 2017-2020

Excerpt(page 10):

http://imgur.com/a/QDEgm#LYoxGF8
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

A friend of mine who lives in N Am, of Baltic descent, recently wryly observed that due to social media mob vigilantism, aided and abetted by the MSM, he is now as careful and circumspect in expressing his views and opinions as were his relatives in the Baltics during the Brezhnev era of occupation by the former Soviet Union.

While the structure and process were different, the results are the same

* constant surveillance of the population
* public condemnation and vilification for deviations from dogma
* ongoing public and private harassment of and threats against individual and family
* economic punishment such as job loss and loss of future employment opportunities
* social ostracization
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Post by noddy »

i dont think any culture can be trusted with "everything said by anyone" to not abuse that privilege, its just too easy to take things out of context and destroy someone no matter what the fashion of the day is in regard taboo topics.

just be glad that us lot will be dead before the worst of it, and the best of luck to future generations.
ultracrepidarian
Apollonius

Post by Apollonius »

Linh Dinh is having trouble communicating with one of his German friends. It seems that both he and his friend's emails are running afoul of a new law.

Here's part of one that got through:

Die Lügenpresse und der Lauschangriff im Mutterland
- Linh Dinh, The Unz Review, 27 June 2017
http://www.unz.com/ldinh/die-lugenpress ... utterland/

First, some happy news: Bild Zeitung, the German tabloid with the power to make or break politicians, is 65-years-old. Hurrah! Ein Tusch! Due to the joyous event, every household found a Bild in its mailbox. What did we find in there? Half the pages were advertisements and the rest were German politicians, businessmen or other contemporary idols telling us how wonderful our country is, and that we should constantly accept refugees, who will contribute to a better future, etc.

Our chancellor, Mrs. Merkel, tells our happy citizens that Germany stands, above all, for two things: eternal responsibility for the Holocaust and the integration of immigrants. Maybe one needs not wonder why the circulation of Bild-Zeitung has dropped 50% in the last 15 years. Of course, we are told that this was the fault of the bad, bad internet, which makes people more stupid, hateful and misinformed.

While Bild Zeitung was just doing its job of keeping people REALLY dumb and misinformed, our Minister of Justice, Heiko Maas, was also busy. Last Thursday, Maas’ wet dream was achieved when the Bundestag decided on a new law for more surveillance of online and messenger services. Germans are now calling it the Lauschangriff [Bugging Operation].

Ah, die Wunder der deutschen Sprache! My beloved mother tongue is full of clear and precise words, and there is also this wonderful German ability to call things by its real names. Just as with the Lügenpresse [lying press], we now have the Lauschangriff. A liberal or leftist who cares more for foreigners than his own people is dubbed a Gutmensch [good man]. Thanks to academics and media pundits, however, we now learn that only bad, hateful people use such terms.

Back to topic: The new law allows the state to secretly hack into computers, laptops, tablets, smart phones and messenger services, etc., to look into all electronic communication, in short, on the pretext of identifying terrorists, a most nebulous term, for any critic of the state may now be labeled a "terrorist."

Our police and secret services now have legal access to the private data of all citizens.

What a wonderful new world! When a similar law was introduced a decade ago, it was met by fierce resistance from the media and public. Not this time!

Yes, there is the possibility that our highest court, the Bundesverfassungsgericht, might yet decide that the new law is unconstitutional, and some in the press are complaining, but there are no street demonstrations or a serious debate about this manifestation of Big Brother. Zero, zilch, nix, nein. People are just too tired, wasted, kaput. They just want to have a good time. Let’s go clubbing or have a barbecue…

And it doesn’t end there, of course: the Bundestag also passed the Netzwerkdurchsetzungsgesetz [Network Enforcement Law], which can criminalize online statements as illegal hate postings.

Great! The social media will be forced to delete hate speech immediately, but who defines hate speech? It’s a question for philosophers, not lawyers. In dubio pro hate speech. From now on, haters, baiters and Schlechtmenschen will have a hard time… Our Minister of the Interior, Thomas de Maiziere, actually declared, "It cannot be that there are areas where the state has no influence." He really said that!
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Apollonius wrote:Linh Dinh is having trouble communicating with one of his German friends. It seems that both he and his friend's emails are running afoul of a new law.

Here's part of one that got through:

Die Lügenpresse und der Lauschangriff im Mutterland
- Linh Dinh, The Unz Review, 27 June 2017
http://www.unz.com/ldinh/die-lugenpress ... utterland/

First, some happy news: Bild Zeitung, the German tabloid with the power to make or break politicians, is 65-years-old. Hurrah! Ein Tusch! Due to the joyous event, every household found a Bild in its mailbox. What did we find in there? Half the pages were advertisements and the rest were German politicians, businessmen or other contemporary idols telling us how wonderful our country is, and that we should constantly accept refugees, who will contribute to a better future, etc.

Our chancellor, Mrs. Merkel, tells our happy citizens that Germany stands, above all, for two things: eternal responsibility for the Holocaust and the integration of immigrants. Maybe one needs not wonder why the circulation of Bild-Zeitung has dropped 50% in the last 15 years. Of course, we are told that this was the fault of the bad, bad internet, which makes people more stupid, hateful and misinformed.

While Bild Zeitung was just doing its job of keeping people REALLY dumb and misinformed, our Minister of Justice, Heiko Maas, was also busy. Last Thursday, Maas’ wet dream was achieved when the Bundestag decided on a new law for more surveillance of online and messenger services. Germans are now calling it the Lauschangriff [Bugging Operation].

Ah, die Wunder der deutschen Sprache! My beloved mother tongue is full of clear and precise words, and there is also this wonderful German ability to call things by its real names. Just as with the Lügenpresse [lying press], we now have the Lauschangriff. A liberal or leftist who cares more for foreigners than his own people is dubbed a Gutmensch [good man]. Thanks to academics and media pundits, however, we now learn that only bad, hateful people use such terms.

Back to topic: The new law allows the state to secretly hack into computers, laptops, tablets, smart phones and messenger services, etc., to look into all electronic communication, in short, on the pretext of identifying terrorists, a most nebulous term, for any critic of the state may now be labeled a "terrorist."

Our police and secret services now have legal access to the private data of all citizens.

What a wonderful new world! When a similar law was introduced a decade ago, it was met by fierce resistance from the media and public. Not this time!

Yes, there is the possibility that our highest court, the Bundesverfassungsgericht, might yet decide that the new law is unconstitutional, and some in the press are complaining, but there are no street demonstrations or a serious debate about this manifestation of Big Brother. Zero, zilch, nix, nein. People are just too tired, wasted, kaput. They just want to have a good time. Let’s go clubbing or have a barbecue…

And it doesn’t end there, of course: the Bundestag also passed the Netzwerkdurchsetzungsgesetz [Network Enforcement Law], which can criminalize online statements as illegal hate postings.

Great! The social media will be forced to delete hate speech immediately, but who defines hate speech? It’s a question for philosophers, not lawyers. In dubio pro hate speech. From now on, haters, baiters and Schlechtmenschen will have a hard time… Our Minister of the Interior, Thomas de Maiziere, actually declared, "It cannot be that there are areas where the state has no influence." He really said that!
Great article Appollonius. Thanks for posting. Is this the right or the left trying to save us?