Everything in this life has it’s price

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
manolo

Everything in this life has it’s price

Post by manolo »

Folks,

Simon Weisenthal famously said, “Everything in this life has it’s price.” Weisenthal was talking about moral responsibility, a responsibility that he is rightly honoured for.

For those who think naturally in terms of responsibility, justice and guilt, his words are obviously true. However, I have a suspicion that the claim is not universal. Maybe there are some people in this world who have committed dreadful acts and sleep comfortably in their beds? To suspect this seems to carry some metaphysical connotations regarding justice and retribution, maybe even a world without God?

There are big questions here, right at the heart of moral philosophy and I don’t have answers.

Alex.
Endovelico

Re: Everything in this life has it’s price

Post by Endovelico »

manolo wrote:Folks,

Simon Weisenthal famously said, “Everything in this life has it’s price.” Weisenthal was talking about moral responsibility, a responsibility that he is rightly honoured for.

For those who think naturally in terms of responsibility, justice and guilt, his words are obviously true. However, I have a suspicion that the claim is not universal. Maybe there are some people in this world who have committed dreadful acts and sleep comfortably in their beds? To suspect this seems to carry some metaphysical connotations regarding justice and retribution, maybe even a world without God?

There are big questions here, right at the heart of moral philosophy and I don’t have answers.

Alex.
“Everything in this life has its price.”

Mostly for the victim...
manolo

Post by manolo »

Endovelico wrote:

Mostly for the victim...
Good point.

Alex.
kmich

Post by kmich »

Alex.
There are many places without "God" or decency, Alex. I have seen enough of them. A distance between one and ones crimes are required, between self and the "other." These can be met through physical distance, such as fire bombing cities from 30,000 feet, living comfortably outside concentration camps, living in guarded palaces bought through bribes and extortion while your people starve, or simply not bothering to know or to care what crimes are done in one's name.

If the suffering of other human being gets too close and stirs those troubling pangs of conscience, ideology always comes in handy. Create the "other," the "enemy," the "threat," and project one's moral cowardice on some undesirable population. Ideology, religious, secular, ethnic, or a deference to some fatuous "realism," "necessity," or "duty" will do nicely in that service. There are no end to the rationalizations we can make for being cruel and stupid, and blinding us from any insight. Numbing conscience is often an accustomed activity, even for "decent" people:

"By day he ordered the deaths of thousands of people - but at home he was a loving father and husband who enjoyed playing games with his children. These are the two faces of Rudolf Hoess, the ruthless commandant of Auschwitz concentration camp in Poland during World War II as remembered by the Polish maid who once worked in his family's house. Her memories of life in the Hoess home are revealed in a new book which has given a chilling insight into the family lives of Nazi officers at the infamous prison camp whose day jobs involved mass murder.

"The testimony about the killers is unique because it comes from the Polish maids assigned to keep their houses and witnessed at first hand their interaction with their families on a day to day basis. Hoess, who was hanged after the war at Auschwitz by the Polish authorities for overseeing the extermination of at least 1.2 million people and the enslavement of at least that number, was obsessively kind to animals and his five children. He would have no moral qualms about ordering the gassing of child inmates of his camp, but in his garden he would play hide-and-seek with his five children and recited poetry to them."

The 'kindly' Auschwitz commander who sent youngsters to gas chambers then went home to play hide and seek with his children
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

manolo wrote:
Endovelico wrote:

Mostly for the victim...
Good point.

Alex.
Excellent, excellent point Gents! The value of perspective is priceless.

The difference in value/quality/appreciation of life when one decides to view oneself (or others) as victor or victim is truly beyond measure. It will influence the quality of your life (or how you view the quality/value of other's lives) every moment of your life.

Not to mention the self-torment of those who think everything and every moment in life does not have a price (money, time, energy, focus, opportunity cost, etc.).

Tomorrow is promised to no one!
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Alex.

Alex,

"Wiesenthal" a Zionist, he ZERO moral authority

how so ? ? ?

did Wiesenthal say anything about this :

FbIX1CP9qr4

No, he didn't

why he didn't

because he gives a sh*t about others, what he is concerned is his own

that no moral authority

Stalin, Hitler, Tchingiz, Attila, Churchill all of them were concerned about their owns

Acid test of "moral authority" is when you have same concern for others as you have for your own
noddy

Post by noddy »

oh noez, ARRGGGH, EEEEK!

them ebeel juice are eberywherez, in my forumz, corruptin moi philosofamabating.
ultracrepidarian
kmich

Post by kmich »

noddy wrote:oh noez, ARRGGGH, EEEEK!

them ebeel juice are eberywherez, in my forumz, corruptin moi philosofamabating.
:?:
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

reaction to above, for comedic effect.....'>>........
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
kmich

Post by kmich »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:reaction to above, for comedic effect.....'>>........
Oh. :|
noddy

Post by noddy »

kmich wrote:
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:reaction to above, for comedic effect.....'>>........
Oh. :|

exactly. :| :/
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

somewhere, someone is not thinking and feeling and acting the way I want them to think, feel and act

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
On what shall man found the order of the world which he would govern? Shall it be on the caprice of each individual? What confusion! Shall it be on justice? Man is ignorant of it…
-Pascal

Man, in short, is so inconsistent a creature that it is impossible to reason from his belief to his conduct, or from one part of his belief to another.
- Lord Macaulay

If we are to live past the Enlightenment and not collapse into organic conservative pockets here- we got a real problem but what we mean by responsibility because I can't help but notice how shopworn and saggy it has become.

Who is responsible; who gets to decide that stuff, and what do we mean byt that?
noddy

Post by noddy »

=]
Who is responsible; who gets to decide that stuff, and what do we mean byt that?
wishy washy post event analysis that rings true with my vague awareness of the situation.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:
If we are to live past the Enlightenment and not collapse into organic conservative pockets here- we got a real problem but what we mean by "responsibility" because I can't help but notice how shopworn and saggy it has become.
I guess we need to add "responsibility" to the list that already includes "right", "left", "social justice", "liberal", "conservative", "American", "European", "beauty", and "fair"...... just to name a few.
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Who is responsible; who gets to decide that stuff, and what do we mean by that?
The obvious answer is ME! No one else seems qualified!

That's why I am the 100%. In case the rest of you did not notice, I am the center of the universe! It has been that way my whole life! ;)

Occasionally, some of you get your poop together for a little while, and we can form a limited temporary club called us. But them? They're always gonna be like that. :(
kmich

Post by kmich »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:If we are to live past the Enlightenment and not collapse into organic conservative pockets here- we got a real problem but what we mean by responsibility because I can't help but notice how shopworn and saggy it has become.

As George Bernard Shaw wrote, “Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it.” Unless of course, one can can succeed in making "liberty" a sloppy, sentimental abstraction and the problem of responsibility a concern for other people. That would make it all a doughy business best suited for political posturing and the satisfactions of moral indignation at the decisions and actions of others. Not in the examination of individual conscience and humbling business of repentance where it all really belongs.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

The "juice" are not the problem. The problem is usury. What is the 'miracle' of compound interest for one amounts to thumbscrews for many.

I am a Christian, but Muslims have the solution here. Adopting Islamic banking standards (which comply with Biblical law, as charging interest does not) would be an improvement. It is a much purer form of capitalism.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Heracleum Persicum

Nonc Hilaire wrote:The "juice" are not the problem. The problem is usury. What is the 'miracle' of compound interest for one amounts to thumbscrews for many.

I am a Christian, but Muslims have the solution here. Adopting Islamic banking standards (which comply with Biblical law, as charging interest does not) would be an improvement. It is a much purer form of capitalism.

"Inflation & charging interest" .. are .. "western form of capitalism" engine

that is what is destroying western capitalism

that an invention of "you know who" to make money out of YOU, fleecing you

MEDOFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:The "juice" are not the problem. The problem is usury. What is the 'miracle' of compound interest for one amounts to thumbscrews for many.

MEDOFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
MEDOFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF is a crook, pure and simple. He promised interest, but paid with capital of later investors. A liar.

Islamic finance is free enterprise capitalism and not communism or oligarchy. There is much to learn here.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Heracleum Persicum

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Heracleum Persicum wrote:

MEDOFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
MEDOFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF is a crook, pure and simple. He promised interest, but paid with capital of later investors. A liar.

Islamic finance is free enterprise capitalism and not communism or oligarchy. There is much to learn here.

Islamic idea is :

If you give anybody money (for any business), in reality you are partnering with him with whatever venture that guy is doing with that money .. that business can lose money or make profit .. meaning you partnering with him in that profit or loss .. saying, lending money, one would not partner in loss but want a guaranteed profit (interest), is against ethics and moral .. that's what makes usury immoral

Western thinking, to generate inflation and compensate that with "interest paid" is an invention of crooks