Faith and modernity

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Parodite

Open mind open heart

Post by Parodite »

Open mind
Starting with knowledge and reason... one ends up inevitably with agnosticism. I don't know, nobody knows. Or differently put, if I can't be sure, there is no reason to trust others who do claim they are sure. It even be considered a risky thing to do.

Having an open mind means you don't blindly trust anybody, not even your self. "Things do indeed appear to be the case, but they could be different still - if not today already then certainly tomorrow." Sort of applying the scientific method to ones own experiences. In general I would say this is the natural state of mind and how we learn. Not because we choose to do so, but it is how we are wired biologically and necessary to survive in ever changing circumstances.

Open heart
By virtue of its meaning, it supposedly is something different. But what is it, really? And does it depend on an open mind, or can it do without? Does it mean one is able to cry with those who cry and laugh with those who are happy? Something else or something more? Anxiety and pain make us less open hearted/sensitive to the anxieties and pain of others, but it can also make us more empathic to others in similar situations when we have been there ourselves.

The teachings of Jesus, the way I read and understood them, are very simple. Have an open mind and heart the way children can. Share and help. As adults we are no kids anymore, but we can try avoid and reject all excessive baggage that would only confuse/f*ck up kids, and the kid in ourselves. The image if Christ on the cross to me is that of the death/murder of a child, any child. Resurrection is the return to simplicity, or the image of the child that survives the onslaught.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Parodite

Re: Faith and modernity

Post by Parodite »

Other thread title could have been: the future of religion. Just wondered what a "religious culture" looks like once it grows out old school superstition, voodoo and mob psychology (tm). So far we only have agnosticism, secularism, atheism, religious humanism, eating hamburgers or placebo deities as in North Korea.
YMix

Post by YMix »

An 80-year-old retired preacher was fatally shot early Monday, and neighbors say the suspect who killed him is also a retired preacher.

The two may have been arguing about religion, CBS 2’s Jeremy Ross reports.

Chicago police say they have a person in custody in connection with the death, which occurred at the Senior Suites of Rainbow Beach in the South Shore neighborhood early Monday.

Police say the 80-year-old victim was shot in the face and died. Investigators said the suspect, who uses a motorized wheelchair, fired one shot, then moved closer and fired several more.
It was a wheel-by. :|
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

YMix wrote:
An 80-year-old retired preacher was fatally shot early Monday, and neighbors say the suspect who killed him is also a retired preacher.

The two may have been arguing about religion, CBS 2’s Jeremy Ross reports.

Chicago police say they have a person in custody in connection with the death, which occurred at the Senior Suites of Rainbow Beach in the South Shore neighborhood early Monday.

Police say the 80-year-old victim was shot in the face and died. Investigators said the suspect, who uses a motorized wheelchair, fired one shot, then moved closer and fired several more.
It was a wheel-by. :|
:lol:

Hey, you're 80 years old, lots of time on your hands, someone mentions all the virgins you get for settling age old religious disputes via violent means .... it could happen to any of us.... some sooner than others.

Shoulda used an Suicide Adult Diaper (SAD).
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Faith, modernity and the denial of history:

NKYLS6XOxs0

A brave guy.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Hominem unius libri timeo.

Beware the man of one book.
Religious or secular, doesn't matter.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Typhoon wrote:

That people can obsess about one particular thing is indeed... human and true in general. But the nature an character of the object makes a big difference. Somebody who is obsessed with a movie like The Sound of Music having watched it 40+ times with those tunes stuck his/her brain forever... is most likely not somebody to beware of too much. Maybe if the obsession becomes a group obsession and they go into politics promoting all kinds of SofM things... it may become a serious irritation to others. Hearing their favorite SofM songs out of outdoor 200 Watt loudspeakers attached to their clubhouses every friday morning at 07:00 am...could be a reason for concern and loads of social unrest. But if the obsession is an Abramite Holy book... the game goes up to a whole new level and the stakes are much higher, especially when they represent a political ideology. I prefer people who obsess about modern liberal democratic values and constitutions that safeguard them. It matters what book you read and are obsessed about. Alice in Wonderland or Bambi are not Mein Kampf or The Elders of Zion.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

5EarzbmO3oU
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:

Excellent quote. Thanks!

The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it. Power is what all messiahs really seek: not the chance to serve. This is true even of the pious brethren who carry the gospel to foreign parts.
H.L. Mencken
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

1gdpyzwOOYY
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Looooooonggg. Will watch later.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:Looooooonggg. Will watch later.
In particular I found it interesting how they are talking past each other. :) So kind of a bummer in the end and maybe not worth listening to for 2 hours.

Not sure why SH insisted for the entire conversation on a rather trivial and moot point (about scientific truth finding), and not accepting JBPs answer: that it is trivially true but not true to the point that JBP would have liked to make: that science and its values are factually secondary, embedded within a greater system of truth, beauty, morality and ethics.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Looongcat..... but I watched it already. Caused a big, big, big discussion on the merits of scientific realism vs. ethical pragmatism. At least people are paying attention to the American Pragmatists like William James, which they never did before. Religion as an emergent facility of human consciousness, I sorta like that.....'>.......
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Can anyone give a sentence on why anyone would listen to "Sam Harris".
Censorship isn't necessary
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Because he's speaking with Jordan B. Peterson........'>.......
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Mr. Perfect wrote:Can anyone give a sentence on why anyone would listen to "Sam Harris".
I like SHs thinking. Very precise and coherent arguments. Zooming out one could say something like an Escher drawing emerges.

Lost and stuck in reason. The beauty of it!

Peterson, it seems, believes that humans need a healthy dose of divine madness to function properly. That is scary territory for SH.
manolo

Post by manolo »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: I have a BA in Biblical Studies and a M.Div.
Nonc,

I have a BA Hons in Philosophy and an M.Phil in moral theory, which should make me critically open minded to your ideas, which I think I am. :)

A.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

manolo wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote: I have a BA in Biblical Studies and a M.Div.
Nonc,

I have a BA Hons in Philosophy and an M.Phil in moral theory, which should make me critically open minded to your ideas, which I think I am. :)

A.
alex,

In case you couldn't tell, I have a lot of BS in ME.
;)
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Parodite wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

That people can obsess about one particular thing is indeed... human and true in general. But the nature an character of the object makes a big difference. Somebody who is obsessed with a movie like The Sound of Music having watched it 40+ times with those tunes stuck his/her brain forever... is most likely not somebody to beware of too much. Maybe if the obsession becomes a group obsession and they go into politics promoting all kinds of SofM things... it may become a serious irritation to others. Hearing their favorite SofM songs out of outdoor 200 Watt loudspeakers attached to their clubhouses every friday morning at 07:00 am...could be a reason for concern and loads of social unrest.
Well, my first experience, while still sleeping off a hangover, with the morning prayer call at dawn in Malaysia did result in some rather uncharitable thoughts.
Parodite wrote:But if the obsession is an Abramite Holy book... the game goes up to a whole new level and the stakes are much higher, especially when they represent a political ideology. I prefer people who obsess about modern liberal democratic values and constitutions that safeguard them. It matters what book you read and are obsessed about. Alice in Wonderland or Bambi are not Mein Kampf or The Elders of Zion.
I will speculate Thomas Aquinas had the latter type in mind when he penned his quote, not ribald novellas.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Folks , things becoming clear what is happening now in America (and in a bigger scale, worldwide)

We backtracking from "Liberal Democracy"

Many sign of that

Looking from this angle, many things happening start making sense

I will develop my case for this hypothesis

What is the common denominator of CNN, ABC, NBC, NYT, WP and all media Trump is attacking ? ?

They all follow and write based on "Liberal Democratic" world views.

Now things becoming a bit "sensitive"

Who mostly owns "Liberal" media, print and TV ? ? ? the progressive Jewish elite and intellectuals, they the flag-bearers of liberalism (democracy) and modernity in West World last 100 yrs .. They the ones joining Martin Luther, the blacks, to confront George Wallace, they spearheading emancipation in many domains.

Their thinking lead America after WW 2 .. that was when America exited Segregation, sexual revolution, gay rights and all the rest.

Ratzinger, (ex) Pope, pretty much fascist Cardinal of Munich, can not take it, resigns

Francis, a Jesuit, suddenly says, no promlemo, homosexuals too can go to Paradise.

A lot of forces were resisting this .. but .. had no power to stop it

Suddenly, Russian Orthodox Church is the moral beacon for christianity, condemning homosexuality and other "liberal democratic" emancipations successes of last 100 yrs .. Putin suddenly becomes a good Christian, showing up regularly in Church ceremonies.

Now, comes Mr. Christian, Murdoch .. he buys media, print and TV .. plays Joe against the elite .. build a "Trash media" empire .. and .. put in motion to dismantle, wipe out, the "liberal democratic" tools and power of American elite, Jewish inteligencia.

The goose is cooking on low flame .. Trump, is groomed for years

And , BANG

This a "palace coupe" against "Liberal Democracy" .. Francis Fukuyama comet to mind

Now, the "anti-Liberal Democrats" took power and will, probably for generation or two, back-track "most" what Liberal-democrat achieved, most of the emancipations, by "salami Tactic" , slice by slice.

All this immigration, Mexican wall rebbush etc .. just smoke screen so that Joe does not realize what's happening to him.

Iran, Ayatollahs ? ? ? for many many years, high level debate in Iranian media, specially TV debates, is that biggest enemy is "Liberal democracy" propagated by West.

Trump Sympathy to Putin comes from this angel.

This is a WAR , a WAR against "liberal Democracy", WORLDWIDE

In that sense, many rights within constitutions, American and other Constitutions, rights, and and, will be trampled or outright eliminated, by redefining it , that "Alternative" Facts & Truth was not slip of the thong but well thought strategic nailing down things to come .. there is an "Alternative" for all those gay rights and human right and protection of minority and freedom of religion and and.

Am sure this is what is going on .. name of the game is "Salami Tactic' .. you dished with something shocking, wait till Joe digest it, then comes the next slice .. salami tactic

In that sense, Trump an ally with Ayatollahs

Now, the bad guys are the "liberal democrats" .. CNN all fake news, Soros the bad guy.

Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Typhoon wrote:
Parodite wrote:That people can obsess about one particular thing is indeed... human and true in general. But the nature an character of the object makes a big difference. Somebody who is obsessed with a movie like The Sound of Music having watched it 40+ times with those tunes stuck his/her brain forever... is most likely not somebody to beware of too much. Maybe if the obsession becomes a group obsession and they go into politics promoting all kinds of SofM things... it may become a serious irritation to others. Hearing their favorite SofM songs out of outdoor 200 Watt loudspeakers attached to their clubhouses every friday morning at 07:00 am...could be a reason for concern and loads of social unrest.
Well, my first experience, while still sleeping off a hangover, with the morning prayer call at dawn in Malaysia did result in some rather uncharitable thoughts.
Heh, that is indeed a bad moment to be bombarded with any type of "these are a few of my favorite things" decibels.
Parodite wrote:But if the obsession is an Abramite Holy book... the game goes up to a whole new level and the stakes are much higher, especially when they represent a political ideology. I prefer people who obsess about modern liberal democratic values and constitutions that safeguard them. It matters what book you read and are obsessed about. Alice in Wonderland or Bambi are not Mein Kampf or The Elders of Zion.
I will speculate Thomas Aquinas had the latter type in mind when he penned his quote, not ribald novellas.
Granted.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Parodite wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:Can anyone give a sentence on why anyone would listen to "Sam Harris".
I like SHs thinking. Very precise and coherent arguments. Zooming out one could say something like an Escher drawing emerges.

Peterson, it seems, believes that humans need a healthy dose of divine madness to function properly. That is scary territory for SH.
OK. FYI Sam Harris has no insight on whether God exists or not.
Censorship isn't necessary
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Parodite wrote:

OK. FYI Sam Harris has no insight on whether God exists or not.
I think he gives a very good "reasoned review" of people's various beliefs in God. I suppose depending on the type of belief one upholds, such a reasoned review can be of great added value if you want to believe in a God able to survive a thorough rational, reasoned, scientific audit, to be real and not the figment of my own or anyone else's imagination for starters.

No human has the conclusive test-kit to verify or falsify God, ultimately it is a subjective truth, conviction, or revelation.

The test-kit of science and reason that grills and scrutinizes God looking for verification or falsification is like a freshman's class. If you passed it successfully, you receive your first title: "Honorable and Informed Agnostic". It concerns truth in the public domain and relieves God from all kind of public bullsh*t. The next level in the Finding God course moves from the public domain into the private domain where rational, reasoned, scientific questions or answers do not apply anymore. Just my poetic 2 cents :)
noddy

Post by noddy »

theological question.

if you do salami tactic on a boiling frog will its back break from straws ?
ultracrepidarian
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

noddy wrote:theological question.

if you do salami tactic on a boiling frog will its back break from straws ?
Excellent next-level question. :)