Which number is greater?

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Simple Minded

Which number is greater?

Post by Simple Minded »

Inspired by Mr. Perfect's Left Wing Supply Siders thread.

Of all the people you know, well enough to be on a first name basis with them, which would you estimate to be the grater number?

Left wing political activists who are hypocrites based on their personal actions.

or

Right wing religious activists who are hypocrites based on their personal actions.
kmich

Re: which number is greater?

Post by kmich »

I have enough of my own issues and hypocrisies to be seeking those out in others. I will have to pass on this one.
Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye. (Matthew 7)
Marcus

Re: Which number is greater?

Post by Marcus »

My Son, these maxims make a rule,
An' lump them aye thegither;
The Rigid Righteous is a fool,
The Rigid Wise anither:
The cleanest corn that ere was dight
May hae some pyles o' caff in;
So ne'er a fellow-creature slight
For random fits o' daffin.

—Solomon.-Eccles. ch. vii. verse 16.

Then gently scan your brother man,
Still gentler sister woman;
Tho' they may gang a kennin wrang,
To step aside is human:
One point must still be greatly dark, -
The moving Why they do it;
And just as lamely can ye mark,
How far perhaps they rue it.

Who made the heart, 'tis He alone
Decidedly can try us;
He knows each chord, its various tone,
Each spring, its various bias:
Then at the balance let's be mute,
We never can adjust it;
What's done we partly may compute,
But know not what's resisted.

—Robert Burns
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

kmich wrote:I have enough of my own issues and hypocrisies to be seeking those out in others. . .
Admonition for the Seventh Decade

All the bluster and conceit
All the hare-brained indiscreet
Obfuscations and obsessions,
All the ludicrous confessions,
Put them by now, put them by,
Clean them out before you die.

Even though you can’t undo
All the mess that makes up you,
Find a modicum of quiet;
Quash the long uncivil riot
That goes on inside your heart;
Clear the drunks out, make a start.

—Dick Davis
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
noddy

Post by noddy »

ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Marcus wrote:My Son, these maxims make a rule,
An' lump them aye thegither;
The Rigid Righteous is a fool,
The Rigid Wise anither:
The cleanest corn that ere was dight
May hae some pyles o' caff in;
So ne'er a fellow-creature slight
For random fits o' daffin.

—Solomon.-Eccles. ch. vii. verse 16.

Then gently scan your brother man,
Still gentler sister woman;
Tho' they may gang a kennin wrang,
To step aside is human:
One point must still be greatly dark, -
The moving Why they do it;
And just as lamely can ye mark,
How far perhaps they rue it.

Who made the heart, 'tis He alone
Decidedly can try us;
He knows each chord, its various tone,
Each spring, its various bias:
Then at the balance let's be mute,
We never can adjust it;
What's done we partly may compute,
But know not what's resisted.

—Robert Burns
Marcus,

Thanks.

"random fits o' daffin" fits (no pun intended) us all well!
Last edited by Simple Minded on Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

See, it is possible to be a uniter and not a divider!
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

kmich wrote:I have enough of my own issues and hypocrisies to be seeking those out in others. I will have to pass on this one.
Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye. (Matthew 7)
Kmich,

Thanks. Seeing your own flaws in others (or vice versa) is the basis of a good sense of humor. And a good coping/bonding mechanism. And great therapy.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Simple Minded wrote:[Marcus,

Thanks.

"random fits o' daffin" fits (no pun intended) us all well!

Well said, SM, well said indeed . .
--- Richard Nixon
—John Calvin
Torchwood

Post by Torchwood »

Simple Minded wrote:Inspired by Mr. Perfect's Left Wing Supply Siders thread.

Of all the people you know, well enough to be on a first name basis with them, which would you estimate to be the grater number?

Left wing political activists who are hypocrites based on their personal actions.

or

Right wing religious activists who are hypocrites based on their personal actions.
The former, because I live in Europe, the latter hardly exist except in minority communities which I do not come into contact with. The former are of course largely a substitute for the latter. I also know right wing activists who think that the EU is the embodiment of evil, but they are not religious.

As for "do not judge", all very well to say that, but then critical thinking goes out of the window.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Torchwood wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:Inspired by Mr. Perfect's Left Wing Supply Siders thread.

or

The former, because I live in Europe, the latter hardly exist except in minority communities which I do not come into contact with. The former are of course largely a substitute for the latter. I also know right wing activists who think that the EU is the embodiment of evil, but they are not religious.

As for "do not judge", all very well to say that, but then critical thinking goes out of the window.
good points Torchwood.

When I lived in NY, I knew more left wing, political activist, social justice hypocrites.

Now that I live in the Bible Belt, I know more right wing, religious hypocrites.

Both archetypes seem very.... "human."