Blood sacrifice and redemption of sins

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Nonc Hilaire

Re: Blood sacrifice and redemption of sins

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Christianity is really a seperate topic. We call this atonement theory, and there are at least three major schools of thought. Discussion requires a complete discussion of Jesus life from incarnation to ascension and session.

Taking on all of that in this thread would make Manolo late for his chicken supper.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

manolo wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote: Chicken sacrifice sounds pretty good right now.
Mr P,

Go for it. ;)

Alex.
Jesus did it for me, thanks. No chicken.

Tell E, when you think about what the role of England in the African slave trade how does it make you feel?
Censorship isn't necessary
manolo

Post by manolo »

Mr. Perfect wrote: Tell E, when you think about what the role of England in the African slave trade how does it make you feel?
Mr P,

An interesting question in moral philosophy. My mature view is that we're not morally responsible for what someone else does or has done, but should look to our own actions by our own lights.

I believe that we know when the call comes and may or may not man up when confronted with cruelty. That's when we find out what we are made of.

Alex.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:Christianity is really a seperate topic. We call this atonement theory, and there are at least three major schools of thought. Discussion requires a complete discussion of Jesus life from incarnation to ascension and session.

Taking on all of that in this thread would make Manolo late for his chicken supper.
Atonement theory.. maybe something for the Faith and Modernity thread?

Theory and "official sources" are fine and one thing... me thinks more important is how it all operates in reality. I promised myself to never cheat on reality; it is the best place to start and always return to. ;)
Deep down I'm very superficial
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

manolo wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote: Tell E, when you think about what the role of England in the African slave trade how does it make you feel?
Mr P,

An interesting question in moral philosophy. My mature view is that we're not morally responsible for what someone else does or has done, but should look to our own actions by our own lights.

I believe that we know when the call comes and may or may not man up when confronted with cruelty. That's when we find out what we are made of.

Alex.
Very interesting response. I know many of your fellow leftists who are guilt laden about it, lo these many centuries, as well as a number of other topics. We have every reason to believe that leftists 50 years from now, 100 years from now, will feel the same way. Guilt laden.

Maybe you can teach them about the chicken thing.
Last edited by Mr. Perfect on Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Censorship isn't necessary
noddy

Post by noddy »

Mr. Perfect wrote:Well look at it this way. Nearly all cultures have some kind of atoning process. Whether it be karma, or blood or other sacrifice to wash away the guilt.

But look at the liberal, who feels guilt continually for the white man's treatment of the planet, from women and minorities to the environment, and express themselves in guilt politics. In fact you can find liberals everyday everywhere in emotional sackcloth and ashes about events happening centuries ago (slavery/imperialism), let alone decades ago. Future liberals will also look back at not just the past centuries and mourn, but the times we are now and take on the guilt for things now the future liberals will consider oppression that current liberals aren't aware of. For liberals the guilt GROWS infinitely, and can never be forgiven.

Maybe that is what hell is. Being liberal. Eternal growing guilt without any hope of reprieve.

Chicken sacrifice sounds pretty good right now.

hah.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

manolo wrote:Folks,

There is an old religion in which a ritual called 'Kaparot' is performed. It is intended to redeem sins.
A blessing and prayer are recited while a live fowl is waved over a person's head. The idea is that sins accumulated in the person over the last year will be transferred into the bird, which is then butchered and eaten or given away.

My question is not so much about the ritual itself, but what happens after the bird has taken the sins from the person. If it is eaten, would the sins not be transferred again into the diner? Also if the bird is given away who is to know where the sins will end up, and with whom?

Alex.

Source, Independent 'i' page 32, 3/10/2014.
Superstitions, ancient or modern, typically require the suspension of reason and logic.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.