What is the clinical label? What are the symptoms?

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Simple Minded

What is the clinical label? What are the symptoms?

Post by Simple Minded »

Probably more akin to psychology than philosophy, but anyone want to try to define?
Typhoon wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:
Typhoon wrote:FT | America’s economy is cooking on shale
Earlier this year a paper released by the US Federal Reserve calculated that these [natural gas] price variations had boosted the output of American manufacturers by 3 per cent since 2006, while raising investment by 10 per cent and jobs by 2 per cent; the impact on specific energy-linked industries was far higher. However, the IMF’s research suggests that the difference in energy costs has boosted US manufacturing exports by 6 per cent, and it argues that each 10 per cent fall in the relative price of natural gas in the US will boost US industrial production by a further 0.7 per cent, compared to that of Europe.

At first glance, this 0.7 per cent differential may not sound important. But if this gap is maintained over several years, the impact for competitiveness and output will be significant. It is not just the productivity statistics that matter; what the shale gas revolution has also done is create something that the IMF report does not mention: a transatlantic gap in psychology.
Not everything that happens in America is due to the lightening rod idol known as the POTUS.
The idea that the POTUS is more influential in the world and one's life than gravity is an interesting mental condition. Not just confined to Americans. It seems akin to bitching about the weather.

Is there a medical term?
I don't know. If not, then it is time for a clinical definition and name.
POTUS as devil or god?
Abusive or loving mother/father figure?
Scapegoat or Savior?
Modern version of ancient gods?
kmich

Re: What is the clinical label? What are the symptoms?

Post by kmich »

How about "Obamaitis?" ;)

There is not a specific term I am aware of regarding this phenomena. Obama has been an awful president, but I suspect that the frequently obsessive, paranoid, and sometimes hysterical attitudes and rants denouncing him on the right are best explained by the psychological projection of their fears and insecurities, as well as their often long held cultural/political resentments and suspicions onto him.

The left also has projected their agendas and hopes onto him, and, in spite of his abysmal performance, often still do. He is a remote, opaque character with a funny, foreign sounding name and a mixed race background so that makes him a prime object for such a projective process.

This certainly is not new in American history and has occurred in the past with presidents in both parties in the US, but Obama is a notable, contemporary example. This has happened in other countries as well, but we Americans have a enduring characteristic of a deep ambivalence, a love/hate relationship with national leadership that makes us particularly vulnerable to this projective process.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Extremely well said Kmitch. Thanks.

"Obamaitis" as a label may be a bit too narrow and chic. Perhaps "POTUSitus" is more fitting term.

As long as I can recall (40+ years) the POTUS has been either a white knight or dragon for many adults on both sides. It seems very similar to children becoming engrossed with fairy tales.

In my experience, very few incumbents fail to bring the wrath of the people upon themselves. Those who do not claim to possess the mojo to slay both the imaginary and the real dragons of the voters will fall prey to their opponents who do claim to have the mojo.

Obama himself said it very well. "People see me as a Rorschach ink blot."

A wonderful trait when the zeitgeist is positive, not so much when it turns down. The heroes of the bull market often become the villains of the bear market. People seem to have a very strong psychological need for heroes and villains.

Of course the MSM and the talking head/commentary industry feed these perspectives. Producers market the products the customers desire to buy.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

kmich wrote:How about "Bushitis?" ;)

There is not a specific term I am aware of regarding this phenomena. Bush has been an awful president, but I suspect that the frequently obsessive, paranoid, and sometimes hysterical attitudes and rants denouncing him on the left are best explained by the psychological projection of their fears and insecurities, as well as their often long held cultural/political resentments and suspicions onto him.
Fixed.
Censorship isn't necessary
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

I call it "running up the score" and "turnabout is fair play". And I love it.
kmich

Post by kmich »

Mr. Perfect wrote:

There is not a specific term I am aware of regarding this phenomena. Bush has been an awful president, but I suspect that the frequently obsessive, paranoid, and sometimes hysterical attitudes and rants denouncing him on the left are best explained by the psychological projection of their fears and insecurities, as well as their often long held cultural/political resentments and suspicions onto him.
Fixed.
Not really. Changing the host for the infection does not change the basic pathology. SM's "POTUSitus" is more accurate.
Mr. Perfect wrote:I call it "running up the score" and "turnabout is fair play". And I love it.
Do I need to add that this condition comes with a serious component of anosognosia for many of the afflicted? :roll:
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

I'm well aware that I'm running up the score and giving tit for tat.
noddy

Post by noddy »

he commanded that his chair should be set on the shore, when the tide began to rise. And then he spoke to the rising sea saying “You are part of my dominion, and the ground that I am seated upon is mine, nor has anyone disobeyed my orders with impunity. Therefore, I order you not to rise onto my land, nor to wet the clothes or body of your Lord”. But the sea carried on rising as usual without any reverence for his person, and soaked his feet and legs. Then he moving away said: “All the inhabitants of the world should know that the power of kings is vain and trivial, and that none is worthy the name of king but He whose command the heaven, earth and sea obey by eternal laws”. Therefore King Cnut never afterwards placed the crown on his head, but above a picture of the Lord nailed to the cross, turning it forever into a means to praise God, the great king.
they should be called cnuts
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Mr. Perfect wrote:

Fixed.
I thought Bushitis was a disease women contracted from dirty toilet seats. :shock:
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:
With my dyslexia that word looked like something else. :o

Do they have spell ceck in Australia?
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

For non-Americans, and for those whoose party is not in power, it could be called POTUS-envy.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote:
noddy wrote:

canutes is lacking something.

shore is spell cheque in straya.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:
noddy wrote:

canutes is lacking something.

shore is spell cheque in straya.
How bout stralian-applachian translachian aps? got them two?

Even though we're both south of the Mason-Dixon line sometime yer hard to swallow.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded wrote:Extremely well said Kmitch. Thanks.

"Obamaitis" as a label may be a bit too narrow and chic. Perhaps "POTUSitus" is more fitting term.

As long as I can recall (40+ years) the POTUS has been either a white knight or dragon for many adults on both sides. It seems very similar to children becoming engrossed with fairy tales.

In my experience, very few incumbents fail to bring the wrath of the people upon themselves. Those who do not claim to possess the mojo to slay both the imaginary and the real dragons of the voters will fall prey to their opponents who do claim to have the mojo.

A wonderful trait when the zeitgeist is positive, not so much when it turns down. The heroes of the bull market often become the villains of the bear market. People seem to have a very strong psychological need for heroes and villains.

Of course the MSM and the talking head/commentary industry feed these perspectives. Producers market the products the customers desire to buy.
Bingo.
In our brief national history we have shot four of our presidents,
worried five of them to death, impeached one and hounded another out of office.
And when all else fails, we hold an election and assassinate their character.

~ P.J. O'Rourke
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:Extremely well said Kmitch. Thanks.

Bingo.
I recently had the opportunity to watch the movie Network.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_qgVn-Op7Q

The scene with Faye Dunaway meeting the angry black female communist activist revolutionary reminded of this site. :D

"Hi, I'm Diana Christensen, a racist lackey of the imperialist ruling circles."
"I'm Laureen Hobbs, a bad-ass commie nigger."
"Sounds like the basis of a firm friendship. We're gonna need more chairs."

Especially amusing is the scene where the angry black female communist activist revolutionary starts complaining that all the people she has to pay off in her organization reduces her income! :D

People ain't nothing but consistent....
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Just sounds like people that don't go to church trying to make a church.
manolo

Post by manolo »

Folks,

The fact that economies are hard wired to fossil fuels is rarely mentioned by politicians, but it is the elephant in the room. To his credit, George Bush said "America is addicted to oil." Unfortunately his party's only answer to this addiction is to find some more.

Alex.