Intellectual distortion field

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Nonc Hilaire

Intellectual distortion field

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Strategy
1) Eliminate independent reportage and opinions. Replace reporters with talking heads who only read press releases and the police reports. Replace analysts with polarizing propagandists.

2) Control the direction of academia via government grants and industrial underwriting.

3) Discourage critical thinking. Reduce all issues to two simplistic opposing emotional and ideological choices.

4) Micromanage using NLP techniques.

5) Create fear and uncertainty whenever possible. It makes human behavior more controllable.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Simple Minded

Re: Intellectual distortion field

Post by Simple Minded »

Nonc,

I salute you. You have given this some serious thought.

IMSMO, this is a simplified (but what topic of discussion isn't simplified for time & format,) but accurate assessment of much of the political/MSM/entertainment/chic-hip culture. Seems hard to discern one from the other three much of the time.

Eventually even "bread & circuses" reach their respective limitations. But with today's technology, the limits of circuses are greater than they have ever been.

Less difference than ever before between the "right" & the "left" is easy to understand. Both hire the same pollsters, the same experts, and both play the Yeah, "I may have sucked last time I was In power, but now that you are in power, you suck even more than I did" blame/evasion game.

I don't expect the focus on stagecraft to protect turf and power rather problem solving to change anytime soon.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Yet here we are at OTNOT...throwing information and opinions at each other with the WWW at our fingertips. Not so bad...
Deep down I'm very superficial
noddy

Post by noddy »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:Strategy
1) Eliminate independent reportage and opinions. Replace reporters with talking heads who only read press releases and the police reports. Replace analysts with polarizing propagandists.

2) Control the direction of academia via government grants and industrial underwriting.

3) Discourage critical thinking. Reduce all issues to two simplistic opposing emotional and ideological choices.

5) Create fear and uncertainty whenever possible. It makes human behavior more controllable.
1 is kind hard now, it was certainly easier when it was just tv and newspapers.
2 over values the worth of academics.
3 becomes more amusing to me the older i get, i know what critical thinking means to me yet whenever someone else uses that word for their agenda i shudder.
4 yes.
5 yes, tho one wonders how much that is latently their anyway, its probably harder to create a calm and brave environment.
ultracrepidarian
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Parodite wrote:Yet here we are at OTNOT...throwing information and opinions at each other with the WWW at our fingertips. Not so bad...
...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;...
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Parodite wrote:Yet here we are at OTNOT...throwing information and opinions at each other with the WWW at our fingertips. Not so bad...
regarding your latest signature..... are you sure?

;)
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
What about the sexist, male chauvinist pigs??? ;)
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Simple Minded wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:
What about the sexist, male chauvinist pigs??? ;)
... The fewer men, the greater share of honour.
God’s will! I pray thee, wish not one man more. ...

A-yZNMWFqvM

Teresa of Ávila
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Simple Minded wrote:

;)
I will fight uncertainty till my last breath... knowing I can never win. :P
Deep down I'm very superficial
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Parodite wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:

;)
I wish you success! :D

"The greatest battles of life are fought out daily in the silent chambers of the soul."

"The greatest obstacle to any discovery is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."

Translation: "We" are all full if it!
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote:
Parodite wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:

;)

"The greatest battles of life are fought out daily in the silent chambers of the soul."

"The greatest obstacle to any discovery is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."

are you certain of that ? :)
ultracrepidarian
manolo

Post by manolo »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:Strategy

Nonc,

Excellent, you have Fox 'news' in one. :)

Alex.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Intelligent people like to tell each other that they aren't liberal or conservative but independent; that Fox and MSNBC are biased and can't be trusted, that partisanship, "special interests" and "lobbyists" have destroyed America; in essence, that they are not ideologues but practical, reasonable people who just want the system to do what's right. Then you ask them what exactly "right" is, and the yelling starts.

Intelligent people, like racists, are fluent in describing themselves in opposition to what they are not, but ask them to define themselves by what they are, tell you what they do believe in, and they're lost. They have opinions on issues, sure, but ask for an overarching ideology and their face botoxes. Overarching ideology? Only people with manifestos have ideologies, not having an ideology is the whole point of being independent, the only thing they deal in is "facts" or "reality", and gun to head if they believe in anything it's "science." Not physics or chemistry, but evolution. You know, whatever ideologues hate.

I phrase it this way not to insult a group, but to show you how very easy it is to brand identify a group, because when a group becomes a demo it loses most of its freedom of action and becomes baa baa black sheep. Do you want to see the consequence? Turn on CNN.
How Does the Shutdown Relate to me

The power of the press is to suppress- always has been, always will be.

How much has the decline of the humanities hurt?
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:
Parodite wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:

;)

are you certain of that ? :)
I think so?

but it kinda depends on what the words mean..... right?
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

"jIH net be... vaj, insane 'e' vIHar."

or

"SoH net be... vaj, vISov naHlet!"

Who needs intellectual distortion fields?
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

View from inside the US intellectual distortion field

jH8dejYGa5A

Teresa of Ávila
YMix

Post by YMix »

Intelligent people like to tell each other that they aren't liberal or conservative but independent; that Fox and MSNBC are biased and can't be trusted, that partisanship, "special interests" and "lobbyists" have destroyed America; in essence, that they are not ideologues but practical, reasonable people who just want the system to do what's right. Then you ask them what exactly "right" is, and the yelling starts.

Intelligent people, like racists, are fluent in describing themselves in opposition to what they are not, but ask them to define themselves by what they are, tell you what they do believe in, and they're lost. They have opinions on issues, sure, but ask for an overarching ideology and their face botoxes. Overarching ideology? Only people with manifestos have ideologies, not having an ideology is the whole point of being independent, the only thing they deal in is "facts" or "reality", and gun to head if they believe in anything it's "science." Not physics or chemistry, but evolution. You know, whatever ideologues hate.

I phrase it this way not to insult a group, but to show you how very easy it is to brand identify a group, because when a group becomes a demo it loses most of its freedom of action and becomes baa baa black sheep. Do you want to see the consequence? Turn on CNN.
That's an interesting quote, but I think the author misses a point. I'm pretty sure that one of the reasons why intelligent people like to think that they aren't either/or is the US obsession with identity and labels and the tendency to prejudge based on those labels. I can offer Mr. Perfect, the Mad Labeler and Chief Inquisitor of our own forum, as an excellent example of why some people may refuse to assume an identity.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

YMix wrote:
That's an interesting quote, but I think the author misses a point. I'm pretty sure that one of the reasons why intelligent people like to think that they aren't either/or is the US obsession with identity and labels and the tendency to prejudge based on those labels. I can offer Mr. Perfect, the Mad Labeler and Chief Inquisitor of our own forum, as an excellent example of why some people may refuse to assume an identity.
Mr. Perfect is far from alone in that aspect. IMSMO, the trend towards binary definition of reality seems to be true for almost all political activists, candidates, and apparatchiks.

Most aspects of life are so complicated, they must be simplified, or hyper-simplified to discuss in a palatable period of time.

Lacking that time to present, or enormous attention span from an audience, it is easier to create a boogeyman, or a strawman, or in a two party system, claim the "others" are worse than "us"....... so "we" are the only hope "your group" have.

"Choose wisely!"