The redemption of sinful borders

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Parodite

The redemption of sinful borders

Post by Parodite »

I believe in the redemption of sinful borders.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Nonc Hilaire

Re: The redemption of sinful borders

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Parodite wrote:I believe in the redemption of sinful borders.
That would be Belgium?
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Parodite wrote:I believe in the redemption of sinful borders.
That would be Belgium?
Sounds like a good start. Half of the country is French, the other Flemish/Dutch. The country is a historic freak accident.

There are Belgians who want a divorce. What must happen after that is less clear. Two Belgiums? Or one half being absorbed into the Netherlands, the other back into France? I think they will need a Super Trump to negotiate the best possible deal in case of a separation. Which is why it won't happen either way, because there are no Belgian Trumps. Belgium will remain what it is and meant to be; torn apart, at best an unhappy marriage.

I see redemption of borders in accepting them as they are. All borders are cemented with spilled blood, they are products of sin. And the sins continue every time people believe those sinful borders need a violent change to redeem the previous series of sins. But this way sinning becomes perpetual. The moment borders are accepted and never to be violently touched again.. they will start to disappear, or start to loose their teeth for starters.
noddy

Post by noddy »

doubt it.

humans form groups and those groups are defined by the differences in core rules, so unless we have ruthless empire forcing unwanted groupings on us then borders are a natural part of our behaviour.
ultracrepidarian
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

noddy wrote:doubt it.

humans form groups and those groups are defined by the differences in core rules, so unless we have ruthless empire forcing unwanted groupings on us then borders are a natural part of our behaviour.
Should have written that borders "disappear". They become like formalities, with an important function though that is natural and we cannot do without indeed. They do however not need to be a cause for war by definition. Like the border between two individuals who interact doesn't need to be the reason for a fist fight.