What would be the content of the ideal Pope speech?

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

What would be the content of the ideal Pope speech?

Postby Simple Minded » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:14 pm

Expanding the above, not just the Pope, but any ideal spiritual leader, president, prime minister, or grand poobah.
What would be your ideal content, and what would be your ideal venue?

The use of the word "your" is deliberate, and intended to bypass the usual practice of posters divining the intention of what a "good/pure/genuine" representative of "they" really think or believe.
Enquiring minds want to know. And if we don’t know, or can't know, then we’ll just imagine or project.
Simple Minded
 
Posts: 6310
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:24 pm

Re: What would be the content of the ideal Pope sppech?

Postby NapLajoieonSteroids » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:23 pm

Simple Minded wrote:Expanding the above, not just the Pope, but any ideal spiritual leader, president, prime minister, or grand poobah.
What would be your ideal content, and what would be your ideal venue?

The use of the word "your" is deliberate, and intended to bypass the usual practice of posters divining the intention of what a "good/pure/genuine" representative of "they" really think or believe.


My ideal pope would not flub his speaker notes by entitling his speech as sppech!

I think that deserves excommunication and anathema. We will put you on trial like Pope Formosus and then throw you into the nearest river or leave you in a Denny's parking lot (whichever is more convenient). :D

It's a good question, I don't think I've ever thought of it for any panjandrum out there. Usually, things are better when they just relax and keep their mouth shut. There is and should be a tremendous weight on office holders, temporal or spiritual, that those occupants should find it wiser to take great care of what comes out of their mouths, because it will cause havoc in the best of circumstances.
User avatar
NapLajoieonSteroids
 
Posts: 2924
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: What would be the content of the ideal Pope sppech?

Postby Simple Minded » Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:00 am

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:Expanding the above, not just the Pope, but any ideal spiritual leader, president, prime minister, or grand poobah.
What would be your ideal content, and what would be your ideal venue?

The use of the word "your" is deliberate, and intended to bypass the usual practice of posters divining the intention of what a "good/pure/genuine" representative of "they" really think or believe.


My ideal pope would not flub his speaker notes by entitling his speech as sppech!

I think that deserves excommunication and anathema. We will put you on trial like Pope Formosus and then throw you into the nearest river or leave you in a Denny's parking lot (whichever is more convenient). :D

It's a good question, I don't think I've ever thought of it for any panjandrum out there. Usually, things are better when they just relax and keep their mouth shut. There is and should be a tremendous weight on office holders, temporal or spiritual, that those occupants should find it wiser to take great care of what comes out of their mouths, because it will cause havoc in the best of circumstances.


My advisors still claim it was good advice. Poll numbers are up among those with learning disabilities, and illegal aliens.......

People seem to be getting tired of competent and well groomed.

I expect a bigger boost when I announce my editor is an abandoned black cat I found in a dumpster desperately scavenging for food to feed her vegetarian kittens...... ;)
Enquiring minds want to know. And if we don’t know, or can't know, then we’ll just imagine or project.
Simple Minded
 
Posts: 6310
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:24 pm

Re: What would be the content of the ideal Pope sppech?

Postby Nonc Hilaire » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:06 am

I think the Pope is pretty much spot-on in his speeches and venues.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
User avatar
Nonc Hilaire
 
Posts: 3982
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:28 am

Re: What would be the content of the ideal Pope sppech?

Postby Parodite » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:55 am

One where he declares himself redundant in a goodbye speech:

Beloved children and adolescents, you are now initiated into realms of adulthood.

No longer will you listen to the voice of any authority other than your own. This is not a guarantee you will not falter, do things you won't regret later. But it will make sure that you no longer blame others like your parents, spiritual leaders, or the head of your Church. Whose instructions and words you took for granted and often too holy.

This is what children do for as long as they need the protection of the parents and adults in their life, but can no longer afford when they themselves become parents. What happens when children were to raise children?

My continued presence would only seduce you and chain you into a child-like mode of operation. A dependency that is paralyzing your nearly adult limbs that tremble with desire to walk it alone, to do what is natural to you. When did you feel that force for the last time?

You will probably meet other travelers and make new journeys together. In turn you will want to guide and protect your new young just as I did, tell them what you found and learned. This is not about solitude or retreat.

Don't make the mistake of thinking children don't need your guidance; they crave for your protection, love and want to know the lessons you learned. You are Gods to them. Be such a God and don't deprive them of anything you learned. But you cannot protect and teach them when you yourself are still a child, or half an adult; they won't eat what you serve them.

You should have walked out of here already long ago. But you kept coming back. We are now a community of children raising children, reading bedtime stories to each other, with a Priesthood that is quickly losing its mind. Where do you keep your hands when there are no adults around? Child abuse is an expected outcome when children are not allowed to grow up and must raise the next generation of children. It will also produces Priests who themselves remain children. Not needing to grow up appears a comfort, but in reality it is a pain that seeks an outlet, often abuse or revenge.

I trust you can walk without crutches. Never underestimate your own abilities! And those who are weak and fall will always find friends to help them. Remember that God does not inhabit any specific location, nor does He only speak in print, and nor does he need time for anything to be accomplished. He never is a step behind nor ahead.

The alarm bell telling it was time to really go... was when you started to look up to me, of all people, for advice and opinion on "global warming"; which is a scientific controversy never meant to be battled out in Church. If you want to form an opinion just join that battle at the science sports club. I'm hardly a good parent, let alone a scientist.

After I'm gone most of you will want to elect a new Pope, it cannot be helped. But some it may have helped to jump and be free, walk the new path in a pathless land, face the unknown. All is good, the truth is always where you are. In that I trust.


After this worthy resignation, this past-pope was often seen playing golf wearing fancy white shoes and doing naps at unexpected moments, sometimes in the middle of a game.
Outside, away from the noise, grows a flower.
User avatar
Parodite
 
Posts: 4174
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:43 pm

Re: What would be the content of the ideal Pope sppech?

Postby Simple Minded » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:14 pm

Parodite,

How about a link?

From the Sun?:

"Former Pope kidnapped and brainwashed by Ayn Rand cult released yesterday!"
Last edited by Simple Minded on Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Enquiring minds want to know. And if we don’t know, or can't know, then we’ll just imagine or project.
Simple Minded
 
Posts: 6310
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:24 pm

Re: What would be the content of the ideal Pope sppech?

Postby Simple Minded » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:31 pm

Nonc,

When the pope is in the pulpit, Amen. Full religious theory mode suits the occasion.

When the pope leaves the pulpit, and comes to congress, I would much rather see him in a "CEO of one of the wealthiest privately owned multi-national corporations testifies before Congress" mode.

As CEO of the Vatican:

In light of the refugee crises, we have opened the gates of the Vatican to all who seek assylum. All Catholic churches are hereby forbidden from locking their doors 24/7 so they may better serve the needs of refugees and the homeless.

In light of the AGW crises, all diocese's are forbidden from using air conditioning and from heating their facilities above 55 degrees Fahrenheit. My accountants tell me this will save 1% in costs, but the reduced patronage will cost 3% in revenue. To them I say these are tough times, and as an organization, we need to take the hit for the good of the planet and the poor.

Our Savior died on the cross for us, we can sweat and shiver for posterity.


Of course, this exposes the huge dichotomy between practicing one's theory, and being a responsible steward of privately owned assets. How to balance? Give away too much to help the current poor or save the planet from Armageddon du jour, and the institution you have been select to represent and protect will not exist in a few years or decades.

Without doing the above, IMSMO, preachers (both religious & political) sound hypocritical.

How often have we heard a very wealthy politician proclaim that the rich should pay their fair share, and the reporters not follow up that statement with the question "Excuse me sir/madam, would you please tell me how much money you have personally spent on lawyers and accountants in your life to reduce your personal tax burden?"
Last edited by Simple Minded on Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enquiring minds want to know. And if we don’t know, or can't know, then we’ll just imagine or project.
Simple Minded
 
Posts: 6310
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:24 pm

Re: What would be the content of the ideal Pope sppech?

Postby NapLajoieonSteroids » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:32 pm

Simple Minded wrote:
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:Expanding the above, not just the Pope, but any ideal spiritual leader, president, prime minister, or grand poobah.
What would be your ideal content, and what would be your ideal venue?

The use of the word "your" is deliberate, and intended to bypass the usual practice of posters divining the intention of what a "good/pure/genuine" representative of "they" really think or believe.


My ideal pope would not flub his speaker notes by entitling his speech as sppech!

I think that deserves excommunication and anathema. We will put you on trial like Pope Formosus and then throw you into the nearest river or leave you in a Denny's parking lot (whichever is more convenient). :D

It's a good question, I don't think I've ever thought of it for any panjandrum out there. Usually, things are better when they just relax and keep their mouth shut. There is and should be a tremendous weight on office holders, temporal or spiritual, that those occupants should find it wiser to take great care of what comes out of their mouths, because it will cause havoc in the best of circumstances.


My advisors still claim it was good advice. Poll numbers are up among those with learning disabilities, and illegal aliens.......

People seem to be getting tired of competent and well groomed.

I expect a bigger boost when I announce my editor is an abandoned black cat I found in a dumpster desperately scavenging for food to feed her vegetarian kittens...... ;)


Speech by committee is almost the perfect excuse to start drinking, heavily. :lol:
User avatar
NapLajoieonSteroids
 
Posts: 2924
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: What would be the content of the ideal Pope sppech?

Postby NapLajoieonSteroids » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:38 pm

Simple Minded wrote:Nonc,

When the pope is in the pulpit, Amen. Full religious theory mode suits the occasion.

When the pope leaves the pulpit, and comes to congress, I would much rather see him in a "CEO of one of the wealthiest privately owned multi-national corporations testifies before Congress" mode.

As CEO of the Vatican:

In light of the refugee crises, we have opened the gates of the Vatican to all who seek assylum. All Catholic churches are hereby forbidden from locking their doors 24/7 so they may better serve the needs of refugees and the homeless.

In light of the AGW crises, all diocese's are forbidden from using air conditioning and from heating their facilities above 55 degrees Fahrenheit. My accountants tell me this will save 1% in costs, but the reduced patronage will cost 3% in revenue. To them I say these are tough times, and as an organization, we need to take the hit for the good of the planet and the poor.

Our Savior died on the cross for us, we can sweat and shiver for posterity.


Of course, this exposes the huge dichotomy between practicing one's theory, and being a responsible steward of privately owned assets. How to balance? Give away too much to help the current poor or save the planet from Armageddon du jour, and the institution you have been select to represent and protect will not exist in a few years or decades.

Without doing the above, preacher (both religious & political) sound hypocritical. How often have we heard a very wealthy politician proclaim that the rich should pay their fair share, and the reporters not follow up that statement with the question "Excuse me sir/madam, would you please tell me how much money you have personally spent on lawyers and accountants in your life to reduce your personal tax burden?"


The Vatican has asked dioceses across the world to not use their air conditioning units in the summer and keep the heaters low during the winter- which left quite a few people upset enough for this to be a 'thing' to complain about not too long ago. My diocese seems to have complied but I can't talk about other ones.

As for using churches for refugees and the homeless- I don't know where you've been living, but I've seen that first hand in Europe and Florida.

So many of these things require the compliance of the local ordinary and the local laws. You'd be surprised how touchy states get about not following their protocols on these matters.
User avatar
NapLajoieonSteroids
 
Posts: 2924
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: What would be the content of the ideal Pope sppech?

Postby Parodite » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:38 pm

Simple Minded wrote:Parodite,

How about a link?

From the Sun?:

"Former Pope kidnapped and brainwashed by Ayn Rand cult released yesterday!"


:D Don't tell anyone! "From where the odd is the rule"
Outside, away from the noise, grows a flower.
User avatar
Parodite
 
Posts: 4174
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:43 pm

Re: What would be the content of the ideal Pope sppech?

Postby Simple Minded » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:01 am

Hmmm..... I did not foresee the personal attachments. I was hoping this thread would stay in the purely theoretical realm of"according to my ideals, my ideal of a great leader would make the following PR speech." Forget the preservation of the institution, or the personal interest of the speaker.

OK, forget the Pope and the Catholic church.

Tomorrow morning Quasar, an ET from an advanced civilization, or a spiritual realm, or another dimension, that YOU consider to be very highly evolved, and far more advanced than the blow average humans on planet Earth, lands on Earth, and hacks into all TV, radio, and electronic broadcasts.

Since Quasar is your ideal of an advanced being, what does he say?
Enquiring minds want to know. And if we don’t know, or can't know, then we’ll just imagine or project.
Simple Minded
 
Posts: 6310
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:24 pm

Re: What would be the content of the ideal Pope sppech?

Postby Simple Minded » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:08 am

Quasar:

"To all humans on Planet Earth, don't be an durian! Don't look at the guy next to you.... Yeah, that's right, I'm talking to you. You know when you are being a dork. Knock it off. Go forth and don't multiply, cause yer killin the planet. Gossfark bless you!"
Enquiring minds want to know. And if we don’t know, or can't know, then we’ll just imagine or project.
Simple Minded
 
Posts: 6310
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:24 pm

Re: What would be the content of the ideal Pope sppech?

Postby manolo » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:49 am

Folks,

"I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion."

Kerouac.

Alex.
User avatar
manolo
 
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:46 pm

Re: What would be the content of the ideal Pope sppech?

Postby noddy » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:41 am

manolo wrote:Folks,

"I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion."

Kerouac.

Alex.



hah, its so rare when we agree. :)

not that i agree much with kerouac, but that comment is nice :P
noddy
 
Posts: 5418
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: What would be the content of the ideal Pope sppech?

Postby Simple Minded » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:01 pm

manolo wrote:Folks,

"I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion."

Kerouac.

Alex.


:lol:

The best part is since the supply is infinite, we can all afford to be generous! :)

Kinda hurts though, when the world says "Sorry! Not interested!"

According to Wiki, In 1969, aged 47, Kerouac died from internal bleeding due to long-term alcohol abuse. Given the above quote, he seems a very honest man.
Enquiring minds want to know. And if we don’t know, or can't know, then we’ll just imagine or project.
Simple Minded
 
Posts: 6310
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:24 pm

Re: What would be the content of the ideal Pope sppech?

Postby noddy » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:27 pm

Simple Minded wrote: Kerouac died from internal bleeding due to long-term alcohol abuse.


chances are good to high that i will agree with this aswell . cough.
noddy
 
Posts: 5418
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: What would be the content of the ideal Pope sppech?

Postby YMix » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:23 pm

noddy wrote:chances are good to high that i will agree with this aswell . cough.


The Chunder Games?
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
User avatar
YMix
 
Posts: 4330
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:53 am
Location: Department of Congruity - Report any outliers here

Re: What would be the content of the ideal Pope sppech?

Postby noddy » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:33 am

YMix wrote:
noddy wrote:chances are good to high that i will agree with this aswell . cough.


The Chunder Games?


Image
noddy
 
Posts: 5418
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: What would be the content of the ideal Pope sppech?

Postby Simple Minded » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:04 pm

Armageddon or the End is Near always seems to sell well.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw
Enquiring minds want to know. And if we don’t know, or can't know, then we’ll just imagine or project.
Simple Minded
 
Posts: 6310
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:24 pm

Re: What would be the content of the ideal Pope sppech?

Postby noddy » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:48 am

noddy
 
Posts: 5418
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: What would be the content of the ideal Pope sppech?

Postby YMix » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:42 am

The Pope pulled some sheet at a meeting. :|
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
User avatar
YMix
 
Posts: 4330
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:53 am
Location: Department of Congruity - Report any outliers here

Re: What would be the content of the ideal Pope speech?

Postby manolo » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:38 am

Folks,

A previous Pope, John Paul, ended a book with the words "Christianity is our only hope". Such existential doubt would be a refreshing addition to any Papal speech. :)

Alex.
User avatar
manolo
 
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:46 pm

Re: What would be the content of the ideal Pope speech?

Postby Simple Minded » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:17 am

manolo wrote:Folks,

A previous Pope, John Paul, ended a book with the words "Christianity is our only hope". Such existential doubt would be a refreshing addition to any Papal speech. :)

Alex.


Alex,

I think you misheard, he said either "Christianity is my only hope." or "Christianity is your only hope." ;)

Mass is at 10am sharp, bring your wallet...... these clothes don't dry clean themselves, and there is no Mrs. Pope!
Enquiring minds want to know. And if we don’t know, or can't know, then we’ll just imagine or project.
Simple Minded
 
Posts: 6310
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:24 pm

Re: What would be the content of the ideal Pope speech?

Postby manolo » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:57 am

Simple Minded wrote:
manolo wrote:Folks,

A previous Pope, John Paul, ended a book with the words "Christianity is our only hope". Such existential doubt would be a refreshing addition to any Papal speech. :)

Alex.


Alex,

I think you misheard, he said either "Christianity is my only hope." or "Christianity is your only hope." ;)

Mass is at 10am sharp, bring your wallet...... these clothes don't dry clean themselves, and there is no Mrs. Pope!


SM,

In fact, there is an ambiguity in his words. He could have meant that Christianity is our only hope if it is true, or Christianity is our only hope because it is true. The fact that he used "our" inclines me to the first interpretation and it chimes nicely with my agnosticism.

Alex.
User avatar
manolo
 
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:46 pm


Return to Philosophy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest