Tiger Woods and multiculturalism

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
manolo

Tiger Woods and multiculturalism

Post by manolo »

Folks,

I was listening to a radio programme some time back. There was an American sports commentator talking about US golfing greats. He mentioned each of them by name, but when he came to Woods he said “The Woods phenomenon.” This interested me. Why were the other guys named and then Woods is a ‘phenomenon’?

Coincidentally, the question has come up again.

“Tiger Woods embodied, in microcosm, the new multiculturalism that was redefining the United States in the 1990s.” (1)

I suspect that the commentator I listened to was not keen on the redefining process mentioned, and wonder if there are those who resist social progress even today?

Alex. :mrgreen:

(1) America, Empire of Liberty, David Reynolds, Penguin History, 2010.
Simple Minded

Re: Tiger Woods and multiculturalism

Post by Simple Minded »

alex,

Who knows what the commentator meant. I would (no pun intended) have assumed that "The Woods phenomena" was a tribute to Tiger's domination of the sport for several years. Kinda like the Mick Doohan or Valentino Rossi phenomena.

Tying it into multi-culturalism does sound more intellectually elitist and would (there's that word again), no doubt sell more copies.

Continual proof that no matter what the transmitter intends, interpretation is the realm of the receiver. Some of those wankers just can't get it right...
noddy

Post by noddy »

i thought the woods phenomenan was having an eagle eye for randy blondes.
ultracrepidarian
manolo

Post by manolo »

Simple Minded wrote:alex,

Who knows what the commentator meant.
Alex.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

manolo wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:alex,

Who knows what the commentator meant.
Alex.
I read a lot about the psychic powers of Tory squirrels on the internet...... they are most impressed with themselves.... ;)

How does a selfless creature do it?