Microaggressions, trigger warnings, and emotional reasoning

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Simple Minded

Re: Microaggressions, trigger warnings, and emotional reason

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:the trick is being able to go broke.

any business that over invests on infrastructure that doesnt pay for itself or that weighs itself down too much with middle management can go broke, then someone else can pick up the pieces cheaply.

when that happens with governments its called imperialism and frowned upon.

however, seperate to all that is rent seeking and how much humans love it and need it.

everyone wants to set themselves up as a rent collector, someone who gets paid for nothing and government work has a whole bunch more avenues than private work.
I've been thinking about opening an Amway distributor in Aussieland. With your people skills and IT knowledge, I think it would be a marvelous opportunity for you.

Aussies do use soap and toothpaste, right? Unlike the French and the British....
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:
everyone wants to set themselves up as a rent collector, someone who gets paid for nothing and government work has a whole bunch more avenues than private work.
I've been thinking about setting up an Amway distributorship in Aussieland. I think you would be a natural..... You guys do use soap and toothpaste, right?

If not, how about some religion? I got Catholic, Baptist, Muslim, Climate Science, Global Warming, Population Time Bomb, Social Justice.......
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote:
noddy wrote:the trick is being able to go broke.

any business that over invests on infrastructure that doesnt pay for itself or that weighs itself down too much with middle management can go broke, then someone else can pick up the pieces cheaply.

when that happens with governments its called imperialism and frowned upon.

however, seperate to all that is rent seeking and how much humans love it and need it.

I've been thinking about opening an Amway distributor in Aussieland. With your people skills and IT knowledge, I think it would be a marvelous opportunity for you.

Aussies do use soap and toothpaste, right? Unlike the French and the British....
i hear these new fangled lezbetians and woofters are getting all married now, they like them fancy things.
ultracrepidarian
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

I like those new aussie terms, maybe I should use them.......;>.........
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:I like those new aussie terms, maybe I should use them.......;>.........
you means soap and toothpaste....?
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

too late for dat dere.......

Bad teeth
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

jhQI4w1eV80
Deep down I'm very superficial
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Parodite wrote:jhQI4w1eV80
:) I love it. Thanks for posting Parodite. good illustration of the dangers of trying to condense 300 million world views into black and white.

but why set up shop in Costa Rica? why not Canada? much easier to get into, 99% of the border is unguarded.

not to belittle the personal experiences of the ladies in the video, but it would be interesting to interview their friends back in the US to see how many agree. offense, like beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

For the founder of the retreat, more power to you. As I have often said, voting with your feet is the most effective form of voting. But those of us who live outside NYC "know" how racist Brooklyn is. please don't paint all us Merikans with the same brush. :P

Reminds me of the Marcus Garvey movement. cycles of history?
Attachments
marcusgarvey1.jpg
marcusgarvey1.jpg (38.67 KiB) Viewed 1958 times
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Simple Minded wrote: :) I love it. Thanks for posting Parodite. good illustration of the dangers of trying to condense 300 million world views into black and white.

but why set up shop in Costa Rica? why not Canada? much easier to get into, 99% of the border is unguarded.
Look at 6:48.. a white guy, help! Maybe he is the owner making the money. Please no.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Parodite wrote:
Simple Minded wrote: :) I love it. Thanks for posting Parodite. good illustration of the dangers of trying to condense 300 million world views into black and white.

Look at 6:48.. a white guy, help! Maybe he is the owner making the money. Please no.
:lol:

I was thinking the same thing!! Was that the dude mixing concrete in the wheelbarrow? Wasn't he appropriating either Mexican or White Redneck culture?

Me thinks only children of privilege raised in the First World are aware of the existence of micro-aggressions.

If you can find some audio clips of Ken Hamblin's radio show on the internet, I think you would enjoy them. He called himself "the Black Avenger!"

I'll never forget the line he would use after a young black guy would call in all pissed off about how unfair life is,
than an older black guy would call in and chastise the young guy cause "Obviously, he has never known hard times."
then Ken and the older black guy would laugh and Ken would say "Yeah, I drove all the way into work today and never even thought about my blackness!"

Ken's other great line was "If I win the lottery, I'm gonna spend it on taking young black males from the inner city and drop them in Haiti for a few weeks. Then when they get back in the US, get off the plane and kiss the ground at the bottom of the stairs, the "black community leaders" are gonna accuse me of abusing these young black kids."

Joe: "I'm extricating myself from most of society because they don't like people like me! They're racist!"
Fred: "Did you ever think that maybe they don't like you cause you're a racist?"

Bill Cosby: "Then I ask, what is so great about cocaine? And they say it enhances your personality. And then I say, but what if you're an asshole?"
kmich

Post by kmich »

Parodite wrote:jhQI4w1eV80
I really don’t begrudge these ladies their vacation. Hope they had a good time. However, if they believe that there is not rampant racism in Costa Rica or anywhere in Latin America, they have not stepped outside the resort and spent serious time with the less affluent locals. Much of South and Central America still struggle with the vestiges of traditional, plantation cultures to this day, where race, ethnicity, and color determined your strata and freedom in society and still impacts upon people's lives.

The one problem I have with what these women are doing is this. While any basic study of our history and culture would show that race and ethnicity as well as discrimination are deeply rooted in our history and also continue to challenge us to this day, racial justice can only be obtained through moral courage and not through isolation in such things as “healing retreats,” ”safe spaces”, and from hurtful words.

M. L. King understood that justice for African Americans was not just for them but for white people as well. Discrimination and oppression degrades both the victims and the perpetrators. He knew that the destinies of the races are tightly bound in our culture and history, an understanding that is rarely shared today across the political spectrum, and King was challenged by both white segregationists and black separatists who did not get this either in his own day. Being fundamentally a preacher, he also understood his non-violent resistance to oppression as redemption for both races. So, when he marched, he faced all kinds of physical and verbal abuse, but he faced these directly with love, not as “emotional bosh” in his words, but with real spiritual courage. Christian love was offered to the oppressors not because those who beat, jailed, and cursed him and others were somehow good or worthy, but because we are all unworthy sinners in God’s eyes in need of Christ’s redemption.

King preached and acted to make our souls and worlds larger to embrace "all God's children," while "giving up" on our mutual destinies, and fractious identity politics, both on the left and the right, makes our worlds so much smaller. This is not only a recipe for social decline and disintegration, it also is a path to intellectual, moral, and spiritual decay.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Well put kmich.

MLK Jr was appealing to the better nature of humans regardless of race. Timeless wisdom that may not seem hip to many today. IMSMO, this is the mindset of a problem solver.

The lady running the "Resentment Resort" in Costa Rica is trying to make a buck and targeting a very specific group of potential buyers who see her view point as currently chic. In ORZ speak "Misery loves company." IMSMO, this is the mindset of a problem promoter.

Two different world views, hence the two very different marketing strategies.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Seconded.
I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

~ MLK
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Mr. Condell is in fine form.

-VC74t7fubk
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Ermm we have been warning about that for 30 years. Most of you sat and watched. Little late to complain now.
Censorship isn't necessary
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Mr. Perfect wrote:Ermm we have been warning about that for 30 years. Most of you sat and watched. Little late to complain now.
"Don't blame me! It's all your fault!"

- the sermon from the molehill, author unknown
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

I don't think the "love thy neighbor as thyself" or the equivalent golden rule "don't do unto thy neighbor what thee not wantesth him to do unto thyself" requires adopting your neighbor into your own Household, or you to merge into his respectively. Then that rule, which presupposes there are private territories, can logically not make any sense.

Merging into Oneness, which of old is some sort of religious Utopia, may not be for reality on the ground as we know it.

Withdrawing with others into some safe-space that feels safe(r), for real or imagined reasons, is not a bad thing for as long as it doesn't hurt any neighbor that resides in some other real or imagined safe-space/territory.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Simple Minded wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:Ermm we have been warning about that for 30 years. Most of you sat and watched. Little late to complain now.
"Don't blame me! It's all your fault!"

- the sermon from the molehill, author unknown
Some of us have been warning of it from childbirth, others shrugged until it was too late. Nothing really complex about it.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Typhoon wrote:Mr. Condell is in fine form.
Indeed!
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Condell is now having videos deleted on youtube.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Mr. Perfect wrote:Condell is now having videos deleted on youtube.
Looks like it.

Cm2BDMmuucw
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Typhoon posted something of Teka Zn but it seems gone? Not sure it was here but was gooood.

VMKASCU-jv0

+1 for his channel. Funny, creative but about very sad realities.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Parodite wrote:Typhoon posted something of Teka Zn but it seems gone? Not sure it was here but was gooood.

VMKASCU-jv0

+1 for his channel. Funny, creative but about very sad realities.
+1. Am I allowed to agree with this guy, or is that cultural appropriation?

me thinks tears of teenage existential angst and self-pity...... I was there sweetie.... it really sucked!
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Parodite wrote:Typhoon posted something of Teka Zn but it seems gone? Not sure it was here but was gooood.
. . .
Posted in the Tea Time/Political Levitas thread.