Microaggressions, trigger warnings, and emotional reasoning

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Typhoon

Microaggressions, trigger warnings, and emotional reasoning

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Re: Microaggressions, trigger warnings, and emotional reason

Post by noddy »

you should have put a trigger warning up before i clicked on that distressing information.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:you should have put a trigger warning up before i clicked on that distressing information.
Distressing, but encouraging. To see the intellectuals devoured by the little mindless, soulless automaton monsters they created provides great schadenfreude...... Kinda like watching parents eat their young, or spoiled children destroy the lives of their parents..... those who preach social justice are often the victims of cosmic justice.

Maybe Typhoon's point was that OTNOTer's should grow the hell up? Not you or me, or course, but we know which ones he intended the lesson for....

I'm hoping AGW melts all the special snowflakes.....
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote:
noddy wrote:you should have put a trigger warning up before i clicked on that distressing information.
Distressing, but encouraging. To see the intellectuals devoured by the little mindless, soulless automaton monsters they created provides great schadenfreude...... Kinda like watching parents eat their young, or spoiled children destroy the lives of their parents..... those who preach social justice are often the victims of cosmic justice.

Maybe Typhoon's point was that OTNOTer's should grow the hell up? Not you or me, or course, but we know which ones he intended the lesson for....

hah.

least the doomer pron tastes sweeter after articles like that, its foreplay, philosophical burlesque.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:

hah.

least the doomer pron tastes sweeter after articles like that, its foreplay, philosophical burlesque.
as we say back in the old country, "Misery loves company!" When someone says "life sucks and we are all gonna die!" might as well agree with them.

Empathy and sympathy can be as much fun as schadenfreude... :twisted:

then there's the karma lecture..... ;) "Wow! Your life does suck! You musta been a real evil MFer in a previous life!" :)
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded wrote:

. . .
This trend reminds me of the histrionic Red Guards youth during the Cultural Devolution in China who eventually ended up persecuting each other over perceived deviations from Mao's Little Red Book.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Suddenly, a wild macroaggression appears.
Romanian gymnastics world champion reveals dark side of performance in autobiography

[...]

Her book includes other similar episodes in which she describes how she or her teammates were beaten and humiliated by their coaches and even by their parents. Olaru remembers how one of her colleagues was savagely beaten by her father in front of the other team members because the coaches wanted to expel her from the national gymnastics training program. Nobody intervened to stop him. Olaru, who was 17 at that time, writes that she cried after watching the episode.

“What’s wrong with you? Do you think that anyone would cry for you,” she remembers coach Octavian Bellu telling her. “And then he gave me a few slaps as a lesson. And, boy, does he have a heavy hand,” Olaru writes, according to journalist Catalin Tolontan, who wrote the preface to her book.

[...]

Tolontan added that Maria Olaru’s book tells the story of many children in Romania who have grown up in communist and post-communist Romania, who have been disciplined and educated with the stick. “A child tells on our behalf how we were beaten at home, in school, at the workshops, at our relatives, and in boarding schools,” the journalist writes.

[...]
Nicolae Vieru, former RFG President, basically admitted that abuse was common and a lot of coaches did things a lot worse than what Olaru is telling in her book, so what she’s talking about are minor things that he isn’t interested in. He also says she wrote the book for fame and she should have just been pleased by becoming a Olympic Champion.

The Minister of Sports, former multiple Olympic medalist, said live on a tv show that she doesn’t believe Maria is telling the truth and even if she, herself, was beaten or trampled by her coaches during training she wouldn’t admit it because those people made her a champion and she respects them for that. According to her, dirty laundery must not be displayed in public, but should be kept in the family[...]
http://www.wogymnast.com/2016/06/maria- ... versy.html
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:

. . .
This trend reminds me of the histrionic Red Guards youth during the Cultural Devolution in China who eventually ended up persecuting each other over perceived deviations from Mao's Little Red Book.
Temporarily enlisting True Believers seems easier than controlling them long term. They don't adapt well to the differences between practical administration and ideology unlimited by imagination.

The people kooky enough to buy into the candidate's/professor's greatness, just might be the people you want to keep at a distance. Boo hoo hoo. Tough to control those masses.

I have thoroughly enjoyed that the concept of "Someone else is responsible for whether I feel offended or not" results in unhappiness for the practitioner for a long time now. Life is good. :D
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

I find it bemusing that some will take on tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands of US dollars in student loan debt in order to learn how to become close-minded trivially-offended emotion-ruled self-righteous whiners.

1st world problems.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

In the olden days, parents taught the yutes how to be unhappy at home thru the power of setting a bad example...... :o maybe they still are?

Who ever said being enlightened was going to increase the quality of one's life?

I think the ancients used to say "with much knowledge, comes much pain" or something to that effect. As my redneck friend from LA says "That's why stupid is supposed to hurt!"

Interesting to watch people campaign for social justice rather than just look around and recognize it.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Since my grandmother advised us at age 3, 4, 5, or 6, and it helped us form a workable world view, I feel the burden of responsibility of helping today's youth.

When the other kids say things that are mean, you just say "I'm rubber and you're glue, everything you say bounces off me and sticks to you." or "I know you are, but what am I?" or "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."

Pee Wee Herman's conversational strategies should be more widely taught at US colleges.........
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Simple Minded wrote:Since my grandmother advised us at age 3, 4, 5, or 6, and it helped us form a workable world view, I feel the burden of responsibility of helping today's youth.

When the other kids say things that are mean, you just say "I'm rubber and you're glue, everything you say bounces off me and sticks to you." or "I know you are, but what am I?" or "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."

Pee Wee Herman's conversational strategies should be more widely taught at US colleges.........
Unfortunately, the old rubber-glue routine has been hit with semantic drift, it's presently at, "I wear rubber and you sniff glue, whatever harms me befalls you too." ,,,kids these days much more lawyerliness.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Reason | Saying ‘On the Other Hand,’ Got a Student Reported to the Campus Bias Police
This was not the most absurd bias incident in Colby College's archives. Earlier this year, someone filed a report with the BIPR [Bias Incident Prevention and Response] Team after overhearing an offensive figure of speech. The offending phrase: "on the other hand." The BIPR Team's files note that these words were flagged for targeting people on the basis of "ability." I must therefore presume that the person offended by the phrase "on the other hand," possessed only one hand, or thought that a one-handed person might feel triggered by such a proclamation of dual-handedness.
Given my overuse of the phrase "on the other hand", I had better avoid Colby College, so as not to be forced to undergo self-criticism and reeducation by the Red Guards, er, the Bias Incident Prevention and Response Team.

If former POTUS Truman were alive today, he would find himself in serios social media trouble for joking about wanting a "one-handed economist" who could not use the phrase "on the other hand".

In other news, a college has a "Bias Incident Prevention and Response Team".

Interesting times.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:Since my grandmother advised us at age 3, 4, 5, or 6, and it helped us form a workable world view, I feel the burden of responsibility of helping today's youth.

Unfortunately, the old rubber-glue routine has been hit with semantic drift, it's presently at, "I wear rubber and you sniff glue, whatever harms me befalls you too." ,,,kids these days much more lawyerliness.
True. I blame parents. There comes a time when the adult should say "Quit yer whining or I'll give you something to whine about." Otherwise you have 20 and 30 somethings with the fragility of adolescents.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:Reason | Saying ‘On the Other Hand,’ Got a Student Reported to the Campus Bias Police
This was not the most absurd bias incident in Colby College's archives. Earlier this year, someone filed a report with the BIPR [Bias Incident Prevention and Response] Team after overhearing an offensive figure of speech. The offending phrase: "on the other hand." The BIPR Team's files note that these words were flagged for targeting people on the basis of "ability." I must therefore presume that the person offended by the phrase "on the other hand," possessed only one hand, or thought that a one-handed person might feel triggered by such a proclamation of dual-handedness.
Given my overuse of the phrase "on the other hand", I had better avoid Colby College, so as not to be forced to undergo self-criticism and reeducation by the Red Guards, er, the Bias Incident Prevention and Response Team.

If former POTUS Truman were alive today, he would find himself in serios social media trouble for joking about wanting a "one-handed economist" who could not use the phrase "on the other hand".

In other news, a college has a "Bias Incident Prevention and Response Team".

Interesting times.
This is the old adage "To the person who thinks, life is a comedy, and to the person who feels, life is a tragedy" in real time.

I wonder if they make the offenders that are found guilty supply their own rats and cages.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

x5uaVFfX3AQ
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Reminds me of the paranoia in the Scientology church.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:x5uaVFfX3AQ
:D :D Typhoon, you made my day. My schadenfreude cup runneth over.

Few things are as gratifying as watching people reap what they sow. Both on the positive and the negative sides.

The Vice President for Academic Development, Diversity, and Inclusion: ".... sometimes things don't go the way we planned." :lol:

No doubt mommy & daddy are going to be supporting the little monsters they created well into their 40's and still referring to them as "children." Perhaps the high unemployment rate of America's college grads should not be so surprising after all.

"..capitulation to the pre-suppositions of adolescence." In the old fashioned, simple minded terms of my youth, "Why don't you grow the Hell up?"

Also fits in well with the The rise of the [pseudo]intelligentsia classes thread. Ignorance vs. confidence......

My newest green idea: Useful Idiots are a continuously renewable resource. Get your cannon fodder here!

Life is the first world sucks for some, but is great for most of us. :)
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Parodite wrote:Reminds me of the paranoia in the Scientology church.
Reminds me of the youthful self-righteousness and zealotry of the Red Guards.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Reason | Outrage Over U. Chicago Trigger Warning Letter Shows Power of Political Correctness
Our commitment to academic freedom means that we do not support so-called "trigger warnings," we do not cancel invited speakers because their topics might prove controversial, and we do not condone the creation of intellectual "safe spaces" where individuals can retreat from ideas and perspectives at odds with their own.
Good for Uni Chicago.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:Reason |
Outrage Over U. Chicago Trigger Warning Letter Shows Power of Political Correctness

Our commitment to academic freedom means that we do not support so-called "trigger warnings," we do not cancel invited speakers because their topics might prove controversial, and we do not condone the creation of intellectual "safe spaces" where individuals can retreat from ideas and perspectives at odds with their own.
Good for Uni Chicago.
+1! Also an excellent screening strategy. Good management, and integrity.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Simple Minded wrote:
Typhoon wrote:Reason |
Outrage Over U. Chicago Trigger Warning Letter Shows Power of Political Correctness

Good for Uni Chicago.
+1! Also an excellent screening strategy. Good management, and integrity.
Big govenment social control systems are breaking down, and critical thinking is in comeback mode.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Big govenment social control systems are breaking down, and critical thinking is in comeback mode.
but the U of C, and the New Black Panther Triangulators can only do so much.

Hopefully parents are once again dope-slapping their children out of adolescence. 40+ years in puberty is unsustainable for any culture.

"If you didn't like my micro-aggression, you not gonna like getting a kick in the ass from my size 10 boot either!"

"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid!" - John Wayne
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Quillete | The University as a Total Institution
Coined by the famed sociologist Erving Goffman, total institutions are those that seek to control every aspect of life within the organization. Goffman highlighted prisons as an example of a total institution. In a prison, life is regimented, orderly, and compliance with even the most insignificant directive is required. Prisons control what inmates watch on television, what is available to read, what and when an inmate eats, and even what passes through the mail or the phone.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:Quillete | The University as a Total Institution
Coined by the famed sociologist Erving Goffman, total institutions are those that seek to control every aspect of life within the organization. Goffman highlighted prisons as an example of a total institution. In a prison, life is regimented, orderly, and compliance with even the most insignificant directive is required. Prisons control what inmates watch on television, what is available to read, what and when an inmate eats, and even what passes through the mail or the phone.
Excellent article. Thanks for posting. The obvious answer is to ban post-it-notes.... except that when post-it-notes are outlawed, only outlaws will have post-it-notes....

"The world is a comedy to the person who thinks and a tragedy to the person who feels."