Microaggressions, trigger warnings, and emotional reasoning

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Nonc Hilaire

Re: Microaggressions, trigger warnings, and emotional reason

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Simple Minded wrote:
Typhoon wrote:Quillete | The University as a Total Institution
Coined by the famed sociologist Erving Goffman, total institutions are those that seek to control every aspect of life within the organization. Goffman highlighted prisons as an example of a total institution. In a prison, life is regimented, orderly, and compliance with even the most insignificant directive is required. Prisons control what inmates watch on television, what is available to read, what and when an inmate eats, and even what passes through the mail or the phone.
Excellent article. Thanks for posting. The obvious answer is to ban post-it-notes.... except that when post-it-notes are outlawed, only outlaws will have post-it-notes....

"The world is a comedy to the person who thinks and a tragedy to the person who feels."
That law won't stick for long.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

when i attended university that crowd existed and caused public stinks but there was still a healthy amount of other types who laughed at this kind of thinking.

i cant help think that most universities will still have engineering students and other anti left wing arts types at them and these stories are isolated worst case loons.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Quillete | Attack of the Offendotrons: Tyranny of the Flash Mob
These days, it seems people will be sacked from their job — with their life and that of their family ruined — if they do something a big enough and loud enough mob doesn’t like.
Mobs are historically salient. It’s not so long ago that ‘lynch mob’ was more than metaphor. Righteousness — the belief that moral correctness of belief and action is so pressing and important that it transcends law and custom — is dangerous even in isolated individuals. When it infects a mob, it threatens everyone and everything in its path.

This, at least, has been known for a while, partly because it’s psychologically satisfying for those who indulge. Aldous Huxley observed that the surest way to work up a crusade in favour of some good cause is to promise people they will have a chance of maltreating someone. To be able to destroy with good conscience, to be able to behave badly and call your bad behaviour “righteous indignation” — this is the height of psychological luxury, the most delicious of moral treats.
The case of the Nobel laureate, Tim Hunt, whom the mob of twittering twits on Twitter managed to have sacked, instigated by some stupid bint that was present at his talk, comes to mind:

The Tim Hunt Case
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:Quillete | Attack of the Offendotrons: Tyranny of the Flash Mob
These days, it seems people will be sacked from their job — with their life and that of their family ruined — if they do something a big enough and loud enough mob doesn’t like.
Mobs are historically salient. It’s not so long ago that ‘lynch mob’ was more than metaphor. Righteousness — the belief that moral correctness of belief and action is so pressing and important that it transcends law and custom — is dangerous even in isolated individuals. When it infects a mob, it threatens everyone and everything in its path.

This, at least, has been known for a while, partly because it’s psychologically satisfying for those who indulge. Aldous Huxley observed that the surest way to work up a crusade in favour of some good cause is to promise people they will have a chance of maltreating someone. To be able to destroy with good conscience, to be able to behave badly and call your bad behaviour “righteous indignation” — this is the height of psychological luxury, the most delicious of moral treats.
Thanks for posting. well said. Give someone the ability to punish the evil while hiding in a mob all for the "common good." What fun!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
C.S. Lewis
noddy

Post by noddy »

I cant find the source but their was a great spike milligan story that went something like

"I love how you have to stand for the queen, not because i care about the queen but because i can kick anyone that doesnt get up"

captures that mindset perfectly :)
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:When one has had it.

V. D. Hanson | Monastaries of the Mind
Outstanding article from VDH as usual. Thanks for posting. Mental Monastaries are older, more reliable, and cheaper than augmented reality glasses.

Virtual reality? That's a new concept? In the old days, we called it delusion.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

4Lmyc5YpxUg
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:4Lmyc5YpxUg
The Peterson Principle is that a Jung-man has created all these monsters running amok in the first place.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Reason | Laura Kipnis, Rape Culture, and the Disappearance of Sex
A recent study in the prestigious Archives of Sexual Behavior last month has garnered significant media attention due to the bombshell revelations that Americans are having less sex than ever. Specifically, and most surprisingly, the Millennial generation appears to be having less sex than anyone, despite all the benefits that technology affords in finding casual sex. This was not the first time that research found similar results. Indeed, another study published in summer of 2016 came to the same conclusion: Millennials, despite all hype to the contrary, were the most prudish generation in a century.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:Reason | Laura Kipnis, Rape Culture, and the Disappearance of Sex
A recent study in the prestigious Archives of Sexual Behavior last month has garnered significant media attention due to the bombshell revelations that Americans are having less sex than ever. Specifically, and most surprisingly, the Millennial generation appears to be having less sex than anyone, despite all the benefits that technology affords in finding casual sex. This was not the first time that research found similar results. Indeed, another study published in summer of 2016 came to the same conclusion: Millennials, despite all hype to the contrary, were the most prudish generation in a century.
Excellent article. thanks for posting. In the first world of snowflakes, where a micro-aggression can be considered a violation, who need to be raped to claim victim status?

About 25(?) years ago, I read an opinion piece where the author looked at the then nascent culture of victimhood and predicted that a society that looked upon pity as a virtue was not going to be a nice place to live. i thought I understood that comment back then, I think I understand it better now.

Interesting form of voluntary segregation, "I tend to view myself as a victim, others who don't view themselves as victims avoid me like the plague. Why are all my friends losers?"

From what I have read, the author's experience with the media is common, if the opinion of the expert does not fit the narrative, the opinion gets deleted.

In a similar line of thought, one wonders what the effect of this ideology is on the employment rate of women from certain colleges.

I note that at college X, people of group identity A, B, and C, do an awful lot of protesting about the unfairness of life and societal injustice.

Note to HR: Don't hire people of group identity A, B, or C who attended college X. Please review our intern program list for the same.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Isn't this the crying wolf problem? Crying rape when there isn't.. then being raped and wonder why nobody believes you anymore.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded wrote:
Excellent article. thanks for posting. In the first world of snowflakes, where a micro-aggression can be considered a violation, who need to be raped to claim victim status?

About 25(?) years ago, I read an opinion piece where the author looked at the then nascent culture of victimhood and predicted that a society that looked upon pity as a virtue was not going to be a nice place to live. i thought I understood that comment back then, I think I understand it better now.

. . .
I find the belief that post-coital regret at having had consensual sex constitutes rape to be astonishing as it completely absolves an individual from any responsibility for their decisions and actions.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Quillete | The Crucible of the [Academic] Application Process
It took some time for my advisors to finally convince me to stop talking about reason, rationality, and evidence in my personal statements and interviews. The last straw came when one of my scholarship advisors told me that my views on reason and emotion were, in fact, sexist. Because ‘rationality’ was associated with masculinity and emotion with femininity, she explained, my preference for rationality over emotion was indicative of my unconscious bias against women.
Who would have thought that a ridiculous bunch of 20th century [mostly European; why?] philosophers, such as Foucault, Derrida, and Marcuse, could have such an absurd impact on the academic arts and humanities particularly in the Anglo-Saxon nations.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Typhoon wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:

. . .
I find the belief that post-coital regret at having had consensual sex constitutes rape to be astonishing as it completely absolves an individual from any responsibility for their decisions and actions.
Lots of confused people who don't understand what they want or expect and no one seriously told them that its okay to say no, or preferable in some cases.

A lot of these campus cases boil down to that and, and I'm not talking about the wacky ones that make the news; amount to being large, expensive productions to give the girls a platform to work through being dumb....

Boys who are pressured or violated or assaulted are ignored.

Definitely doesn't help with all the agitprop out there to count yourself in the victim column- what woman, outside of a nun, would ever admit they didn't attract unwanted attention or someone made an unwanted pass at them?
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:
Excellent summary. Not sure if this is a conscious effort, probably not, but a goal none the less.

"Society is to blame!"

A modern Zoo in the US is an excellent analogy. It often appears as much money is spent on infrastructure to keep the humans out of the animal enclosures, as is spent to contain the animals.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

B0W9sSqeJnA
Deep down I'm very superficial
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

My approach has sort of been ignore it and it goes away. Not part of my existence. When you survey the history of leftism this seems to be just another insane manifestation of the underlying pathology; ie not the root cause.

My thinking is just stay away from them unless they are in danger of capturing a majority, then open warfare.

Am I off base?
Censorship isn't necessary
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Lots of confused people who don't understand what they want or expect and no one seriously told them that its okay to say no, or preferable in some cases.
No, it's an agenda.
Censorship isn't necessary
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Parodite wrote:B0W9sSqeJnA
Brilliant. A very clear exposition.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Reason | Katy Perry Is Very Sorry She Once Wore Her Hair in Cornrows
The aim of the sanction against cultural appropriation is actually pretty sinister. It is to keep us in our cultural lanes. It is to lock us into our racial boxes. It's a plea for cultural purity, a rehashing in P.C. lingo of that dark, old 20th-century idea that biology or heritage should count for more than our shared humanity, and that blacks and whites will never really understand each other. Don't mix, it says. It rehabilitates segregation, or at least the segregationist imagination. "I will never understand," as Perry said. That is, she'll never understand black people. How depressing is it that this has become an acceptable and even media-praised thing to say in 2017?
noddy

Post by noddy »

Mr. Perfect wrote:My approach has sort of been ignore it and it goes away. Not part of my existence. When you survey the history of leftism this seems to be just another insane manifestation of the underlying pathology; ie not the root cause.

My thinking is just stay away from them unless they are in danger of capturing a majority, then open warfare.

Am I off base?
pretty much.

however if it ever did go mainstream and became legally enforced, id move to asia in less than half a blink.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

australia just made a step towards the darkside.

young football teams are now being disqualified if they beat the other team by a hurtful amount.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-03/w ... le/8771340
"We want to kids to have fun and you can still win, but just win sensibly."
the irony is two fold.

a) they think learning to how lose is important
b) they want to increase retention rate by not having the kids that are bad at football quit out of frustration, yet dont seem to mind the kids who are good at football quitting out of frustration.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

I find it interesting that the concern is to "win sensibly" instead of learning humility (on both sides) or cultivating a sense of sportsmanship-- which is really a dying concept and the thing that kept people from winning...insensibly.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:australia just made a step towards the darkside.

young football teams are now being disqualified if they beat the other team by a hurtful amount.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-03/w ... le/8771340
"We want to kids to have fun and you can still win, but just win sensibly."
the irony is two fold.

a) they think learning to how lose is important
b) they want to increase retention rate by not having the kids that are bad at football quit out of frustration, yet dont seem to mind the kids who are good at football quitting out of frustration.
Some schools, and children's sports leagues have done the same here, IIRC for about 2-5 years. Oddly enough, they claim it will increase their self-esteem, but in practice seems to have the opposite result.

The upside is that if you devote enough time to studying this discipline of letting your emotions strangle your ability to reason, soon you will be able to reply to people whose posts disagree with your posts with proven winning tactics such as:

1. "You insulted me!"
2. "My gang does not have to explain their thinking nor their actions to anyone, cause people are so stupid, they can't understand our superiority."
3. "It's not fair that you are ten times smarter than me. It would be better if you were only 10% smarter than me!"
4. "WWWWAAAAAAHHHHHH!" All caps text required, of course.
Last edited by Simple Minded on Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.