Practical Triangulation for Dummies

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Simple Minded

Practical Triangulation for Dummies

Post by Simple Minded »

Since we don't have a chapter called, "Things I shoulda learned in school," or "Lessons from Life," I'll put this here, for now. Modulators, re-position as yee see fit.

Thanksgiving at the in-laws.

Things are going well. At some point Mom-in-Law (ML) suggests that Dad-in Law (DL) leave some food for the rest of us. Shortly after, ML who is 60 pounds over weight and wearing yellow suggests that DL should not wear green, since it makes him look fat. DL who is 60 pounds over weight and wearing green suggests that ML should not wear yellow, since it makes her look fat. Since I've seen mirrors in the house, I'm pretty sure they both know the "truth," but each decide to live in denial.

The Binoids at the table break into rehearsed choruses of "Mom, you're not fat!" or "Dad, you're not fat!" But as a Triangulator, I am responsible for showing others the way to the high ground, so I say "Personally, I think you both look great! I just hope your daughter and I can be as happy as you two when we have been married as long!"

Around the table, the women swoon and give me puppy dog eyes. The men suppress a laugh and give me "You are a butt kissing wise ass" looks.

With great power, comes great responsibility.

Early Triangulators expressed their timeless wisdom as removing the beam from own's eye rather than focusing on the splinter in the eye of the other.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Re: Practical Triangulation for Dummies

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

This dialogue originates in the eternal US elections thread. I think it more appropriate in this one in the philosophy section, so I placed my response here.
Mr. Perfect wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:It seems hard to believe that in 2016 someone wouldn't know what a triangulator is or the definition.

Or that triangulation and binaphobia go hand in hand.
Repeately calling someone a "triangulator" or "binophobic" is not sufficient to find fault in or discredit their argument.
It is when they are triangulating or being binophobic.
The SFWs proscribe spamming such as repeated and unsupported spams about "triangulation" or "binoidism".
Personal accusations of such will be summarily deleted.

Any sane person of even modest intelligence is usually capable of holding an opinion and understanding beyond "X bad, Y good'.
That is a strawman argument. Pointing out a false binary choice, or triangulation, whatever, is always relevant because it exposes a fallacious tactic.

It's just pointing out fallacy.
Politics is irreducibly a binary of friend or foe, not good or evil- though I imagine we all like to think of our friends as the tops of the top and our foes as dastardly evil mustache-twirlers and would make the case for why we think as we do in a heartbeat....

Any political action is always a group effort; which is why triangulation is tantamount to saying:

A) I'm above the socially-lived life and do not wish to engage others

or

B) I do not believe in democratically channeled efforts and would prefer despotic rule of some type or another to eliminate the conflict inherent to politics with its competing interests

or

C) A rhetorical thrust- sometimes in good faith; sometimes bad- to shut off opposition and debate.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

If there is one thing that societies do not lack, then it is people who are convinced that their way is the correct and only way.

This would be fine as long as they kept their beliefs to themselves.

However, rather than questioning their beliefs when confronted with reality,

such people invariable try to change reality to conform to their beliefs.

Often believing that they are doing so for supposedly altruistic reasons.

If such people happen to be in positions of power and/or influence, that's when the trouble invariably starts.

The world needs fewer binoids with "monstrous certainty" and more triangulators.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

The most entertaining aspect, IMSMO, of discussing politics with Binooids is that the more they try to convince you that they are different (and therefore better) than their ideological foes, the more they seem to me to be identical.

Does the viewpoint that there are two kinds of people, Binoids and others, make me a Triangulator, or a Binoid?
Last edited by Simple Minded on Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:If there is one thing that societies do not lack, then it is people who are convinced that their way is the correct and only way.

This would be fine as long as they kept their beliefs to themselves.

However, rather than questioning their beliefs when confronted with reality,

such people invariable try to change reality to conform to their beliefs.

Often believing that they are doing so for supposedly altruistic reasons.

If such people happen to be in positions of power and/or influence, that's when the trouble invariably starts.

The world needs fewer binoids with "monstrous certainty" and more triangulators.
Well said. Most people probably think "I'm right, you're wrong." or at least "I am more right than you." Add in the corruption of power, and then they decide to start purifying humanity.
noddy

Post by noddy »

to misquote the cliche, their is cut the baby in half compromise and their is time sharing of the baby compromise.

not all triangulators are equal.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote:to misquote the cliche, their is cut the baby in half compromise and their is time sharing of the baby compromise.

not all triangulators are equal.
Some are more equal than others.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Post by noddy »

as per SM 's example up top, i would triangulate by saying that they are both fat.
ultracrepidarian