I prefer the term special snowflake or abundant self-esteem

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Nonc Hilaire

Re: I prefre the term special snowflake or abundant self-est

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Narcissism is a part of every healthy personality, and with young people a lack of balance is to be expected.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

its a full time job of constant self promotion and positive reinforcement to maintain the illusion of being special against the onslaught of realities contradicting opinion.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

One would think that with sufficient bandwidth, the internet would usher in a new era of ubiquitous special uniqueness, common victimhoodality, and harmonious social utopia.

Perhaps free access to a huge write only database that everyone can access? heresmylifestory.org

I recall hearing an interview with a biologist years ago, who noted that even in the animal kingdom, there was a need to belong to the greater herd/pack/flock first, and then to establish one's unique self identity. First, I want to like everyone else... but not disappear in the herd, then I want to be unique... but not singled out as different, then I want......
noddy

Post by noddy »

well, we do obviously need a new word for special now that their are 7 billion+ special things.

maybe we could call it 'normal' :P
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:well, we do obviously need a new word for special now that their are 7 billion+ special things.

maybe we could call it 'normal' :P
I recall a segment that discussed the 298 different ways parents spelled their baby's name "Unique." :shock:

Normal sucks!

I think the write only database app is a moneymaker. ;)
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

I was playing in a baseball game in the seventies and someone actually did that after failing to successfully slide into third.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/29106/

I hope they still provide the little tubs of paste with the built in brushes. IIRC, that stuff tasted like peppermint. 8-)
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Simple Minded wrote:http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/29106/

I hope they still provide the little tubs of paste with the built in brushes. IIRC, that stuff tasted like peppermint. 8-)
They cut those out 'cuz everybody thought rubber cement was to keep the condom from slipping off.

Teresa of Ávila
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/29106/

They cut those out 'cuz everybody thought rubber cement was to keep the condom from slipping off.
Stupid kidz! Everyone knows yer supposed to sniff the rubber cement...