Could cyber space be multi-versed?

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Simple Minded

Could cyber space be multi-versed?

Post by Simple Minded »

Has the time come to split up cyberspace into fragments, non-cyberspace, yourspace, myspace, safespace, 2D, 3D, 4D, etc. for the common good of the people?

It's always when those below average people start talking to each other and interacting that the trouble starts.

Remember when your parents stopped you from fighting with your siblings by making each of you stand in separate corners......
noddy

Re: could cyber space be multi-versed?

Post by noddy »

its doing that quite naturally by itself i think.

the birds of a feather is a hard thing to stop.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

As usual, I miss the obvious. That's why you're my hero. My people need your people more than we like to admit.

Modern day Tower of Babel! Holy Theology Batman! God is running the internet!

Remember the old days? You meet some one new, share a couple stories about how each of you have a crazy Uncle Fred. You're both surprised, and it was a bonding experience!

The other day, I walk into a diner, and see an older couple (70-80ish) at a both. She is staring at her smart phone and he is looking at her. I walk other an tap the guy on the shoulder. They both look up and I say to the guy "Remember when she used to look into your eyes like that?" He & I laugh, she smiles sheepishly and looks back down at her phone.
noddy

Post by noddy »

the interesting bit is how the groups are now forming across national borders instead of within them - this is giving some marginal points of view the numbers they never had before and its also probably going to cause the breakdown in national government.

this wont happen in our lifetime but the groundwork will be done.

im not sure i care about the staring at phones as much as some do but my family wasnt much for idle gossip - we used to just stare at books instead :)
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:the interesting bit is how the groups are now forming across national borders instead of within them - this is giving some marginal points of view the numbers they never had before and its also probably going to cause the breakdown in national government.

this wont happen in our lifetime but the groundwork will be done.
I think you might be on to something here. The concept of the nation state being an anachronism, reminds me a bit of this, but I read it over 15 years ago, so I'm a bit foggy. https://www.amazon.com/Sovereign-Indivi ... 0684832720

When the big idea of a united Europe or saving the world from AGW or saving the world from the infidel or achieving Social Justice on Earth can excite more passion in large numbers of diverse individuals than being French, American, Canadian or a Brit, then the current keepers of national power will have many sleepless nights. Freedom of association doesn't necessarily mean stability.

How in a world of instantaneous information flow can Big Bro & Big Sis keep the currently faithful congregation enrolled in the current belief systems? Easy to see a parallel between nation states and religion.

ET false flag threat? Zombies? Microbes? Satan & God only work for some. Where's the safe space?
noddy wrote:im not sure i care about the staring at phones as much as some do but my family wasnt much for idle gossip - we used to just stare at books instead
I've heard about those things called books. That's how they spread the dangerous ideas among the elites in the past, wasn't it?
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

An infinite number of potential friends and foes..... how will one ever find the time to like, hate, fear, or loathe all of them?

We're gonna need more software and AI to be "worldly" in the future.
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

noddy wrote:its doing that quite naturally by itself i think.

Self segregation is one thing, and has always existed since the days of private BBSes and Usenet. But balkanization at the infrastructural level is far more concerning. We've been seeing that since the turn of the century with state censorship and, in the last decade, the rise of more obtrusive walls in the form of user accounts, app stores, and strict control of hardware.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Zack Morris wrote:
noddy wrote:its doing that quite naturally by itself i think.

Self segregation is one thing, and has always existed since the days of private BBSes and Usenet. But balkanization at the infrastructural level is far more concerning. We've been seeing that since the turn of the century with state censorship and, in the last decade, the rise of more obtrusive walls in the form of user accounts, app stores, and strict control of hardware.
I used to be concerned about that but now i just accept it as inevitable, im just glad im older and wont see the worst of it.

the chaotic internet will become like the traditional telco infrastructure with tight controls over who connects and with what devices, the only question is how long it takes.

apple and googles walled gardens using apps instead of generic web pages is also unstoppable, the plans for an open free form of publishing that all devices could use was comically sheltered university thinking.

you will sit in the old folks cafe listening to the horror stories of the wild west internet that existed before the governments took control, pedophiles and rapists lurked on every click and hackers could take out critical infrastructure using dodgy unlicensed web cams.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:
I used to be concerned about that but now i just accept it as inevitable, im just glad im older and wont see the worst of it.

the chaotic internet will become like the traditional telco infrastructure with tight controls over who connects and with what devices, the only question is how long it takes.

apple and googles walled gardens using apps instead of generic web pages is also unstoppable, the plans for an open free form of publishing that all devices could use was comically sheltered university thinking.

you will sit in the old folks cafe listening to the horror stories of the wild west internet that existed before the governments took control, pedophiles and rapists lurked on every click and hackers could take out critical infrastructure using dodgy unlicensed web cams.
Exactly. A generation or two younger than Zack will laugh at him in just a few short years, when he tells the stories of his youth and how things used to be freer, and people had more choices. Just like Zack now laughs at his elders. "Really Uncle Zack, you guys were so freaking stupid you thought the polar ice caps were gonna melt and flood the Earth? That's as crazy as great grampa's stories that they used to ride weird devices with only two wheels called bicycles!"

Or me, listening to my elders tell how you used to be able to drive anything you wanted on public roads and no one had ever heard of a driver's license. 12 year old kids driving big farm trucks with no license, really?

Our 5th thru 25th years establish our norms, anything else isn't "quite right." Those who now believe in AGW as gospel "know" that they are smarter than their predecessors who foolishly feared "The Coming Ice Age," "Y2K," "Population Time Bomb," "Silent Spring," "a shortage of whale oil," "acid rain," "fear of commies, Nazis," etc.

"Throw me in chains but feed me (and keep me safe from them* or it *)!"

* - to be determined as future situations and phobias warrant.

After all, you can do a lot more damage with a computer, than with a gun, and guns are regulated, right? Whoa, what about the stuff that is inside the heads of programmers.....