Left Behind Rapture

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Simple Minded

Re: Left Behind rapture

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:
noddy wrote:i was under the impression both the catholics and the anglicans had revised that interpretation.
http://www.catholic.org/news/hf/faith/s ... p?id=51077
Pope Francis has good news for atheists. Jesus died and was raised for them as well. His redemptive embrace was for all, not just a chosen few.The choice to accept its reach is our own. The Holy Father was not teaching anything new. In fact, this hope that all who do not yet know God are not only capable of doing good - but will progress toward that knowledge of God by doing good - is ancient. The Church wants all men and women to be saved.
i realise their is wiggle room on finding god by doing good and so forth however i was still under the impression that the long running stink with the jews about if they get approval from the beard in the sky was included in this.
The Pope proclaiming that "Christians" don't have a monopoly on who gets into heaven is definitely screwing with their business model.

No wonder some "true Christians" don't consider Catholics to be "Christians."
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:
noddy wrote:
noddy wrote:i was under the impression both the catholics and the anglicans had revised that interpretation.
Pope Francis has good news for atheists. Jesus died and was raised for them as well. His redemptive embrace was for all, not just a chosen few.The choice to accept its reach is our own. The Holy Father was not teaching anything new. In fact, this hope that all who do not yet know God are not only capable of doing good - but will progress toward that knowledge of God by doing good - is ancient. The Church wants all men and women to be saved.
i realise their is wiggle room on finding god by doing good and so forth however i was still under the impression that the long running stink with the jews about if they get approval from the beard in the sky was included in this.
One major theme of Francis's pontificate has been combating, what he described as, promethean neo-pelganism. In Evangelii Gaudium, he says:
94. This worldliness can be fuelled in two deeply interrelated ways. One is the attraction of gnosticism, a purely subjective faith whose only interest is a certain experience or a set of ideas and bits of information which are meant to console and enlighten, but which ultimately keep one imprisoned in his or her own thoughts and feelings. The other is the self-absorbed promethean neopelagianism of those who ultimately trust only in their own powers and feel superior to others because they observe certain rules or remain intransigently faithful to a particular Catholic style from the past. A supposed soundness of doctrine or discipline leads instead to a narcissistic and authoritarian elitism, whereby instead of evangelizing, one analyzes and classifies others, and instead of opening the door to grace, one exhausts his or her energies in inspecting and verifying. In neither case is one really concerned about Jesus Christ or others. These are manifestations of an anthropocentric immanentism. It is impossible to think that a genuine evangelizing thrust could emerge from these adulterated forms of Christianity.

The Pope is echoed by his predecessor, then in his capacity as a cardinal in the book Looking at Christ: Examples of Faith, Hope and Charity : "The other face of the same vice is the Pelagianism of the pious. They do not want forgiveness and in general they do not want any real gift from God either. They just want to be in order. They don’t want hope they just want security. Their aim is to gain the right to salvation through a strict practice of religious exercises, through prayers and action. What they lack is humility which is essential in order to love; the humility to receive gifts not just because we deserve it or because of how we act."

This is in line with the Council of Toucy, whose father's explained, “nothing is done in heaven or on earth, except what God either graciously does Himself or permits to be done, in His justice.”
that makes sense as an honest evangelical understanding and i agree the gnostics and pelagians (! wot a word) are poor messangers.

still doesnt answer the curly question on the modern catholic (post vatican 2) viewpoint on Jews getting into heaven, the article i found early didnt go into it but im sure i remember much gnashing of teeth on the details.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote:
noddy wrote:
The Pope proclaiming that "Christians" don't have a monopoly on who gets into heaven is definitely screwing with their business model.

big tents are tricky things to manage are they not, a certain geometric shape seems to form in them quite regulary
ultracrepidarian
YMix

Re: Left Behind Rapture

Post by YMix »

“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:
noddy wrote:

big tents are tricky things to manage are they not, a certain geometric shape seems to form in them quite regulary
does this have anything to do with the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit?....... and the number 3?

or is it just us, or them, or not us or them?
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

The trinity concept is easily explained using quantum theology:
the |Father>, |Son>, and |Holy Ghost> are quantum eigenstates of the Holy Roller Hamitonian, H_hr

The general superposed state is |God> = alpha|Father> + gamma|Son> + omega|Holy Ghost> which when acted up by H_hr projects out one of the above eigenstates of the system, with probabilities alpha^2, gamma^2, and omega^2, respectively, to be determined by theological revelation.

[Thought of publishing this in the Journal of Irreproducible Results, but won't as someone might take it seriously.]
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
manolo

Post by manolo »

Hi,

Watched a doc tonight about climate change. In it there was Hannity saying that "climate change is the biggest hoax perpetrated on mankind".

Hmm - I wonder :?:

m.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

manolo wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote: Being a good person alone will not cut it.
Mr P,

That is my understanding of the Christian eschatology.

A.
So what is the question.
Censorship isn't necessary
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Once had to leave town for a month, looked for somebody for house-sitting and supervising my school age son.

Friends introduced a "respectable" lady, in here 40's .. thought, B4 committing, better interview her .. my wife and I invited her for lunch to our home

She looked respectable, very nice (and attractive) , totally mainstream .. after some conversation, conversation somehow (don't remember how) got to religion.

She said universe made in 7 days, oceans made on Wednesday, mountains Thursday and planet earth 6487 yrs old and and and

First I thought she testing us whether we crazy .. then I realized she really means it

Yes .. RUPTURE

What a disaster .. what a disaster

Seems, Trump catering to "Pat Robertson" folks .. that is why he acting the way he does .. familiar wit Pat Robertson since 35 yrs :lol:

Knowing Pat Robertson and observing how Trump behaving explains it all.

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

If not for that Rupture,
I would've upped her.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:.

Once had to leave town for a month, looked for somebody for house-sitting and supervising my school age son.

Friends introduced a "respectable" lady, in here 40's .. thought, B4 committing, better interview her .. my wife and I invited her for lunch to our home

She looked respectable, very nice (and attractive) , totally mainstream .. after some conversation, conversation somehow (don't remember how) got to religion.

She said universe made in 7 days, oceans made on Wednesday, mountains Thursday and planet earth 6487 yrs old and and and

First I thought she testing us whether we crazy .. then I realized she really means it

Yes .. RUPTURE

What a disaster .. what a disaster

Seems, Trump catering to "Pat Robertson" folks .. that is why he acting the way he does .. familiar wit Pat Robertson since 35 yrs :lol:

Knowing Pat Robertson and observing how Trump behaving explains it all.

so...... it was the babysitter that convinced you to vote for Trump...... sure why not... :lol: