What Is Christianity For ?

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Nonc Hilaire

Re: What Is Christianity For ?

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Rather scattered essay. I can't make much out of it. The guy is sort of thinking out loud without any solid direction.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Maybe a little too emotionally involved, but rather gets to the heart of the matter

YnEFt20qe0o
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
noddy

Post by noddy »

christians created reactionary progressives and for that they will have to have a good long hard look at themselves.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:christians created reactionary progressives and for that they will have to have a good long hard look at themselves.
Pretty sure the whole point of believing in Jesus is to escape Karma dude.

Maybe the nuns at Catholic school had that part wrong?
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

I don't consider Peterson a Christian. More like a humanist mystic 8-)
Deep down I'm very superficial
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Simple Minded wrote:
noddy wrote:christians created reactionary progressives and for that they will have to have a good long hard look at themselves.
Pretty sure the whole point of believing in Jesus is to escape Karma dude.

Maybe the nuns at Catholic school had that part wrong?
Let's see if I can explain this summat.........

The hidden meta-message behind sub-christian presupposition is no effort will be put into creating civilisation, culture or science if we won't live to see it........

Given our limited lives and faulty abilities, there is no cash value in future orientation - why not remain happy lil' tree dwellers with no thought of what happens after the jungle cat puts the munchie on your cranium? Christ represents the Divine Individual in two ways. First, He defeats death. Because He is part of G_d - the Infinite and the All - the Christ exists outside of time. He is here from the beginning to the end and once more, he is responsible for it, He holds Himself responsible for it, He assumes responsibility of His own free will and His heroic response is to take on the mission of mankind with a vision of hope and direction. Of purposeful behaviour where time makes sense and past and future generations share the table and become as one family.......

Second, the Christ makes the divine sacrifice. The ability to sacrifice means something beyond delaying gratification, it means trading off an immediate benefit in the present for a greater and more lasting one in the future. More importantly, it means trading for a greater good or benefit that the individual making the sacrifice will not fully see or enjoy; but will serve the group into the future beyond the lifespan of the one making the sacrifice. Something greater and more lasting than the life of the individual and what the group now and into the future can use and build on.....

The Christ as an archetype is the design model of humanity Christianity sought to bring into being, and which WE..... take for granted. Christ's Sacrifice echoes even in the great wars fought in history whether we like that or not, because humans regarded existential threat worthy of great destruction and death in order to avoid it, and that the future was dear to the present and worthy of giving up life, limb and treasure in order to save and protect. The Sacrifice is present in all heroic acts saving and salvaging life at great cost and also in every effort, grand or small, which will not be seen by those persons initiating it, though they bring joy and sustenance, great or small, to faces they have no names for and who will have no names for their own.....
Parodite wrote:I don't consider Peterson a Christian. More like a humanist mystic 8-)
Equal parts of Jung and Jamesian Pragmatism with more than a leavening of Joseph Campbell thrown in. He is a clinical psychologist who fears our postmodern self meddling might prove dangerous if we don't look carefully at what we do and what we're attempting to change or discard.......'>.........
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

This is just more of Rod Dreher doing his usual shtick of posturing and making an exhibition of it.
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Does the Religious Right’s Decline Help the Alt-Right ?
liberals should hesitate before dancing on the grave of the religious right

Yes, organized conservative Christians were a major hindrance to certain progressive victories. And with the religious right in disarray and Christianity as a whole experiencing long-term decline, the progressive agenda may face fewer roadblocks on cultural issues in the future. Yet according to Beinart, we should not forget the progressive influence that Christianity has had on American culture and politics, or the role Christian institutions play in building social capital.

It is not true that Christianity has served only reactionary ends. In fact, Christianity may have been one of the few forces keeping explicit white identity politics in check. No longer shackled to Christian notions of love and equality, the religious right’s remnants may embrace the racial right.

Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:
Parodite wrote:I don't consider Peterson a Christian. More like a humanist mystic 8-)
Equal parts of Jung and Jamesian Pragmatism with more than a leavening of Joseph Campbell thrown in. He is a clinical psychologist who fears our postmodern self meddling might prove dangerous if we don't look carefully at what we do and what we're attempting to change or discard.......'>.........
I've seen a number of his videos and followed his fight against SJW on campus and in uni boards in Canada. Linked to the same video here. :)

I think he is one of those professors you'd like to have listened to as a student.
Deep down I'm very superficial