Zoroastrianism | The Obscure Religion That Shaped The West?

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Re: Zoroastrianism | The Obscure Religion That Shaped The We

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:.

How do you think Cyrus the Persian came with "universal general human right" declaration ? ? that only could come from within Zoroastrian mindset .. could a Pharaoh, or Roman emperor or a Macedonian dream such ? ? :lol: .. you see the difference ?
On this point, I think it is wrong about the Roman emperors.

The main attraction of the Imperium was the emperor's ability to beat back the haughty Romans at the expense of the subjugated nations and extend civic equality beyond the borders of Rome and its upper-classes.

Lord Acton puts it well:
"The Roman republic labored to crush the subjugated nations into a homogeneous and obedient mass; but the increase which the proconsular authority obtained in the process subverted the republican government, and the reaction of the provinces against Rome assisted in establishing the empire. The Caesarean system gave an unprecedented freedom to the dependencies, and raised them to a civil equality which put an end to the dominion of race over race and of class over class. The monarchy was hailed as a refuge from the pride and cupidity of the Roman people; and the love of equality, the hatred of nobility, and the tolerance of despotism implanted by Rome became, at least in Gaul, the chief feature of the national character."
That it existed a good 1400 years and bequeathed a legal system widely copied among divergent groups of people is a pretty good indicator of its general utility and acceptability.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:I prefer general theories before getting into specifics. Keeps things organized.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axial_Age
Interesting. I have never heard the phrase "Axial Age." Oddly enough, it has nothing to do with the invention of the wheel.

Do you think this is coincidence, or did God or the Anunnaki upgrade the human BIOS during the Axial Age?

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... q=annunaki
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Simple Minded wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:I prefer general theories before getting into specifics. Keeps things organized.

Interesting. I have never heard the phrase "Axial Age." Oddly enough, it has nothing to do with the invention of the wheel.

Do you think this is coincidence, or did God or the Anunnaki upgrade the human BIOS during the Axial Age?

God upgraded the human BIOS in a discrete event we call Pentecost. Evangelization was supposed to be about spreading this information about how to access mankind's upgraded ability to become a spiritual vessel, not merely promoting a supernatural belief system.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:

God upgraded the human BIOS in a discrete event we call Pentecost. Evangelization was supposed to be about spreading this information about how to access mankind's upgraded ability to become a spiritual vessel, not merely promoting a supernatural belief system.
Thanks Nonc. I value your input on all things theological. I think we only live about 4 hours apart. One of these days, I would like to buy you a meal and a six hour cup of coffee and pick your brain on these matters. Most of the sources/salespeople I have been exposed to have proven less than satisfactory, or are uncomfortable talking about such issues.

Now, is the Pentecost a voluntary upgrade, as one would think? After all, God is not Microsoft or Apple.

How does this tie into the concept of "the elect?" It appears to me, some people just don't "seem "have compatible hardware to accept the software upgrade. Or is it always a software issue? Such as pride, vanity, or arrogance.

In other people, it appears to be only the effect of childhood conditioning, applied before a rational, or self-directed/personally responsible thought process is possible. "Adults said so, before I could think for myself."

Thanks in advance.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Simple Minded wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:

Thanks Nonc. I value your input on all things theological. I think we only live about 4 hours apart. One of these days, I would like to buy you a meal and a six hour cup of coffee and pick your brain on these matters. Most of the sources/salespeople I have been exposed to have proven less than satisfactory, or are uncomfortable talking about such issues.

Now, is the Pentecost a voluntary upgrade, as one would think? After all, God is not Microsoft or Apple.

How does this tie into the concept of "the elect?" It appears to me, some people just don't "seem "have compatible hardware to accept the software upgrade. Or is it always a software issue? Such as pride, vanity, or arrogance.

In other people, it appears to be only the effect of childhood conditioning, applied before a rational, or self-directed/personally responsible thought process is possible. "Adults said so, before I could think for myself."

Thanks in advance.
I personally believe it was a universal upgrade, but not everybody got the memo. That is why we had this worldwide shift in religion generally classed as the axial age. Humanity moved from inward focused pagan belief systems to outwardly focused aspirational systems. The switch to a need to commune with a god rather than to placate one seems to be a universal aspect of grace.

I don't have a firm understanding the 'elect' concept. It is only a few instances in Paul, and context and rhetoric is everything in Paul.

Christianity makes more sense to me starting from Pentecost and walking the cat backwards from there. Taking only the Gospels chronologically sounds a bit silly.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Heracleum Persicum

Re: BBC - The Obscure Religion That Shaped The West

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Simple Minded wrote:
Heracleum Persicum wrote:

Well, an excellent reading Mr. Perfect, NH, SM and Doc

Now you guys understand what HP talking about.
HP,

Thanks for posting. Real question is will you ever understand what we are talking about? ;)

SM, NM, NapLajoieonSteroids .. YOU yourself should know what you talking about .. fact on the ground don't show that :lol:

Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani ?

Where are the gains for religious freedom and human rights to justify all the bombings, invasions and wars we have conducted in the lands from Libya to Pakistan—to justify the losses we have endured and the death and suffering we have inflicted?

Truth be told, it is in part because of us that Christianity is on its way to being exterminated in its cradle.

Tellin but you not listening .. Jews left the heart of the matter out .. what followed had zero to do with our beloved Zoroastrianism, in contrary, Ahriman beat Ahura Mazda, dark won over light .. Bad G_D ruling since .. Good G_D in retreat.

Happy Eastern.

NapLajoieonSteroids

The appeal of the Greeks is that for a brief moment it appeared as if men could use appeals to abstraction and beauty to forge their own destinies. Athens was a sign that it was possible, if only for a brief period....which is why when we think of the Greeks, outside of Homer we think of that 80 year period where self-determination seemed to rule.

It isn't that they were better, smarter, handsomer, superior....it is the idea that they were more fully themselves because they speculated over their own affairs and ruled themselves accordingly. That is something which animates men, and something that none of the great empires throughout history can grant anyone, no matter how benevolent, moral and wise.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Simple Minded wrote:

HP,

Thanks for posting. Real question is will you ever understand what we are talking about? ;)

SM, NM, NapLajoieonSteroids .. YOU yourself should know what you talking about .. fact on the ground don't show that :lol:

Where are the gains for religious freedom and human rights to justify all the bombings, invasions and wars we have conducted in the lands from Libya to Pakistan—to justify the losses we have endured and the death and suffering we have inflicted?

Truth be told, it is in part because of us that Christianity is on its way to being exterminated in its cradle.

Tellin but you not listening .. Jews left the heart of the matter out .. what followed had zero to do with our beloved Zoroastrianism, in contrary, Ahriman beat Ahura Mazda, dark won over light .. Bad G_D ruling since .. Good G_D in retreat.

Happy Eastern.

Thank you for the Easter greeting Azari.

Your quote from the Patrick Buchanan article reminds me of something Hegel said in his Philosophy of History , "Christendom was not to find its ultimatum of truth in the grave. At this Sepulchre the Christian world received a second time the response given to the disciples when they sought the body of the Lord there: 'Why seek ye the living among the dead? He is not here, but is risen.' You must not look for the principle of your religion in the sensuous, in the grave among the dead, but in the living Spirit in yourselves.”
NapLajoieonSteroids

Typhoon wrote:Makes me wonder if there is was an oral memory of the tail end of the great post ice age sea level rise which was eventually written down in the Epic of Gilgamesh:

It's all speculation of course but I think the event of a cataclysmic flood is a bit of a red herring when piecing together an primordial oral tradition for this story.

Sounds counter-intuitive when dealing with "flood" stories but the thing is devastating floods aren't all that uncommon. A high number of the 600 flood myths so far found probably are reports (and justifications) for an actual event- like the Australian Aborigines stories match up with the end of the Ice Age.

But the Gilgamesh-Noah story is a highly developed, wide spread theological tract (in the forms we have it) that has as much to do with agriculture as it does with a flood.
Heracleum Persicum

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:.
Typhoon wrote:.

Makes me wonder if there is was an oral memory of the tail end of the great post ice age sea level rise which was eventually written down in the Epic of Gilgamesh:

It's all speculation of course but I think the event of a cataclysmic flood is a bit of a red herring when piecing together an primordial oral tradition for this story.

Sounds counter-intuitive when dealing with "flood" stories but the thing is devastating floods aren't all that uncommon. A high number of the 600 flood myths so far found probably are reports (and justifications) for an actual event- like the Australian Aborigines stories match up with the end of the Ice Age.

But the Gilgamesh-Noah story is a highly developed, wide spread theological tract (in the forms we have it) that has as much to do with agriculture as it does with a flood.

Dardanelles & Bosphorus , were closed .. that space where Black see now is was dry, many city and villages were there .. Asia minor being prime "earth-quick" territory, a catastrophic "earth-quick" opened up Dardanelles & Bosphorus, water pored into what is now Black see .. archeologist have discovered many cities and villages at the bottom of Black see.

bosphorus_straits_n_dardanelles.jpg
bosphorus_straits_n_dardanelles.jpg (126.95 KiB) Viewed 507 times

That Noah rubbish has it's root from that event .. am not aware of Noah being part of Zoroastrianism.

Last edited by Heracleum Persicum on Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Heracleum Persicum

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:

HP,

Happy Eastern.

Thank you for the Easter greeting Azari.

Your quote from the Patrick Buchanan article reminds me of something Hegel said in his Philosophy of History , "Christendom was not to find its ultimatum of truth in the grave. At this Sepulchre the Christian world received a second time the response given to the disciples when they sought the body of the Lord there: 'Why seek ye the living among the dead? He is not here, but is risen.' You must not look for the principle of your religion in the sensuous, in the grave among the dead, but in the living Spirit in yourselves.”

Hegel right,

" Why seek ye the living among the dead ? .. You must not look for the principle of your religion in the sensuous, in the grave among the dead, but in the living Spirit in yourselves ”

Specially Christianity, much lesser degree Islam, not at all Judaism so much into looking graves among dead .. religion should be about life
Joy of life, enjoyment of life.

BTW :
Hegel.JPG
Hegel.JPG (19.02 KiB) Viewed 506 times
NapLajoieonSteroids

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:.
Typhoon wrote:.

Makes me wonder if there is was an oral memory of the tail end of the great post ice age sea level rise which was eventually written down in the Epic of Gilgamesh:

Dardanelles & Bosphorus , were closed .. that space where Black see now is was dry, many city and villages were there .. Asia minor being prime "earth-quick" territory, a catastrophic "earth-quick" open the passage and water pored in to what is now Black see .. archeologist have discovered many cities and villages at the bottom of Black see.

bosphorus_straits_n_dardanelles.jpg

That Noah rubbish has it's root from that event .. am not aware of Noah being part of Zoroastrianism.

This is a fairly popular hypothesis that has its own problems.

It has something to do with Zoroastrianism-- we can conjecture the story of Yima shares in the same tradition as Gilgamesh/Noah. As we are talking about ancestry of ideas and myths, Typhoon was pointing out an instance where there may be some sort of antique kernel of commonality.

I was saying that kernel, in this case, may be something agricultural and the spread of agriculture.
NapLajoieonSteroids

BTW :
Hegel.JPG
Hegel was also writing two centuries ago, when a lot less research was available and the intent of many scholars was to strip religions down to their primordial, natural revelations and practices on the assumption that could easily do so.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

The business of picking, choosing and then decorating certain ideas/belief systems with the honor of being some sort of pre-mordial source from which others only borrowed later on... is interesting.

Why wanting to be the first, the last, or if possible both? As opposed to the more rational and scientific observation that causes and effects are always compound and intermediate steps in an ongoing evolution of a complex world without singular causes.

Even in climate science there is this trap of mono-causality where CO2, which is just one of many variables in a very complex and non-linear climate system, is treated as a singular (or "the main") cause for one arbitrary aspect of climate change: global warming. Without much proof. If the proof is hard but you want something to be true nevertheless, try divine revelation or just bullying opponents into silence! Divine revelations tend to cause lots of conflict because different revelations usually are contradictory if not mutually exclusive entirely. God has a red beard, no a blue one! etc.

I would say that in general competing fantasies have a great impact in human history and more often than not a negative one. Facts and thusly truths can dampen the effect of delusions. War over the color of God's beard can last forever, but the question if the earth is like a flat pancake or more like a sphere is usually settled at one point where we can all peacefully agree.
Deep down I'm very superficial
NapLajoieonSteroids

Someone whose name escapes me at the moment opined that the situation between "East" and "West" is constant battle in one system. And what he meant by that due to migration patterns, geography, language and finance making for closely related peoples (by blood and/or ideas); the lands of the Caucasians (for lack of a better shorthand) in Europe, the Near East and petering out into India&North Africa are far too big for any one hierarchical system to dominate, settle and homogenize which has led to centuries upon centuries of rage and tumult. Heaven and Earth are never rightly ordered as long as the other guy on the other side of the system is top dog and there is always the means to overthrow him.

His opinion was just as their finally seemed to be a settlement, with the European branch "winning" over the others; guys like Edward Said reignited the war by outright rejecting the "peace" of colonizing powers and the idea that the "West" has the moral standing to judge and define the east-- in other words, no mandate from heaven for you!

I'm not sure if I totally buy into this sort of analysis of the situation but found it interesting enough. And it provides an explanation for this constant back and forth of who did what first- the first one there gets to be king of the hill....

and it goes without saying that the Chinese (for example) are condescended to because no one in the system cares all that much if and when they have accomplished anything, first, last or in between. It's not important to the battle at hand.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Half the battle with our knowledge is about ordering our histories, our societies, our species or planet...down to our atoms. That's what we do, we order things, compare'em, track them, speculate on their beginnings and endin's, construct time tables.

It's a pernicious psychology that because religion is involved, the believer must have an axe to grind and so he or she must atone for this with lots of soul searching and head wagging on why he or she is so illiberal and narrow-minded.

If Person A says 16 different scribes wrote the Illiad and B comes around and claimed Homer wrote the original but it was redacted by a second hand and I claimed there was no Homer and no Homer-text until much much later....no one bats an eye; no need for hand-wringing about the futility of it all and how much of a despairing enterprise it all is.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Parodite wrote:The business of picking, choosing and then decorating certain ideas/belief systems with the honor of being some sort of pre-mordial source from which others only borrowed later on... is interesting.

Why wanting to be the first, the last, or if possible both? As opposed to the more rational and scientific observation that causes and effects are always compound and intermediate steps in an ongoing evolution of a complex world without singular causes.
its like finding the first arrow head, a moving target of incomplete facs that lets various folks hold up some virtual trophy of their own cleverness due to something that may or may not have happened a few thousand years ago.
ultracrepidarian
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

noddy wrote:
Parodite wrote:The business of picking, choosing and then decorating certain ideas/belief systems with the honor of being some sort of pre-mordial source from which others only borrowed later on... is interesting.

its like finding the first arrow head, a moving target of incomplete facs that lets various folks hold up some virtual trophy of their own cleverness due to something that may or may not have happened a few thousand years ago.
Indeed :) In general giving some specific meaning to life turns out not so easy.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:
I thought Triangulators invented the arrowhead.... which resembled our early, less successful attempts at the wheel.....
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:Someone whose name escapes me at the moment opined that the situation between "East" and "West" is constant battle in one system. And what he meant by that due to migration patterns, geography, language and finance making for closely related peoples (by blood and/or ideas); the lands of the Caucasians (for lack of a better shorthand) in Europe, the Near East and petering out into India&North Africa are far too big for any one hierarchical system to dominate, settle and homogenize which has led to centuries upon centuries of rage and tumult. Heaven and Earth are never rightly ordered as long as the other guy on the other side of the system is top dog and there is always the means to overthrow him.

His opinion was just as their finally seemed to be a settlement, with the European branch "winning" over the others; guys like Edward Said reignited the war by outright rejecting the "peace" of colonizing powers and the idea that the "West" has the moral standing to judge and define the east-- in other words, no mandate from heaven for you!

I'm not sure if I totally buy into this sort of analysis of the situation but found it interesting enough. And it provides an explanation for this constant back and forth of who did what first- the first one there gets to be king of the hill....

and it goes without saying that the Chinese (for example) are condescended to because no one in the system cares all that much if and when they have accomplished anything, first, last or in between. It's not important to the battle at hand.
the orientalist view is lacking, mainly becaue the chinese arent actually that different to english to my outsiders view on each - sure you can find plenty of differences but on core levels they are surprisingly simmilar.

(eg: anglochinese colonies like hong kong and singapore are so succesful with each of the cultures quickly understanding the other)

and it goes without saying that the Chinese (for example) are condescended to because no one in the system cares all that much if and when they have accomplished anything, first, last or in between. It's not important to the battle at hand
yes this is the crux of it, the dickwaving brigade needing to validate their own puny existance.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote:
noddy wrote:
I thought Triangulators invented the arrowhead.... which resembled our early, less successful attempts at the wheel.....
:lol: :lol:
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:

Thanks in advance.
I personally believe it was a universal upgrade, but not everybody got the memo. That is why we had this worldwide shift in religion generally classed as the axial age. Humanity moved from inward focused pagan belief systems to outwardly focused aspirational systems. The switch to a need to commune with a god rather than to placate one seems to be a universal aspect of grace.

I don't have a firm understanding the 'elect' concept. It is only a few instances in Paul, and context and rhetoric is everything in Paul.

Christianity makes more sense to me starting from Pentecost and walking the cat backwards from there. Taking only the Gospels chronologically sounds a bit silly.
i re-read the original wikipedia and certain things stood out more clearly this time, now that im less rushed.
Jaspers described the Axial Age as "an interregnum between two ages of great empire, a pause for liberty, a deep breath bringing the most lucid consciousness".[5] It has also been suggested that the Axial Age was a historically liminal period, when old certainties had lost their validity and new ones were still not ready
this seemed rather an apt way of describing the current situation :)
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote:and it goes without saying that the Chinese (for example) are condescended to because no one in the system cares all that much if and when they have accomplished anything, first, last or in between. It's not important to the battle at hand
yes this is the crux of it, the dickwaving brigade needing to validate their own puny existance.[/quote]

...you can stab a person with a knife, or you can use it to cut smaller portions of food to masticate on and digest.
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: ...you can stab a person with a knife, or you can use it to cut smaller portions of food to masticate on and digest.
sometimes subtlety is overrated.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

The apparent change in human consciousness during the Axial Age may be explained by needing to address more permanent settlements. The developed "I" and all the philosophizing that pops up from China to the Mediterranean in our physical artifacts - the caveat remains that when it comes to reconstructing the past as omniscient outside observers, we know nothin' about nothing.