An Appreciation of Salt.....

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

An Appreciation of Salt.....

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Chemically speaking, salt is an ionic compound comprised of an equal ratio of irony and bitterness ions, formed in a polyhedral lattice structure of excellent memetic stability. Salt is one of the earliest products of human civilisation. The word 'salary' derived from the Roman word for salt, and sophists of all stripes in the ancient world were paid in full with it. Salt is one of the basic human tastes, of equal parts envy, resentment, mockery and wicked humour........

So have at it..... find examples, posts examples. Kosher not exactly required.....'>.......

She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
NapLajoieonSteroids

Re: An Appreciation of Salt.....

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

I've never looked into this so take it with a gain of...well, ummm..... :? salt

but

I once read the claim by a less loopy perennialist that the spread of salt in diets correlates with social prohibitions against blood drinking and cannibalism.
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:I've never looked into this so take it with a gain of...well, ummm..... :? salt

but

I once read the claim by a less loopy perennialist that the spread of salt in diets correlates with social prohibitions against blood drinking and cannibalism.
Id say that would be dependant on the area in question - protein is the other valuable resource which is not always available and leads people down that path.

coastal peoples usually have plenty of salt and protein, inland peoples can be lacking in both.

I had never thought of this before, so i like the idea of it all

---

the original is still the best when it comes to the salty memeosphere.

ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

shaudenfraude makes the modern world go round, this is exemplified by "salty" as a refinement of detail in the nuances of the type of pleasure involved

we arent allowed to smash the folks we dont like anymore so this is as good as it gets.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

0pN7nmzuvNc
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

taCv1a8AUJo
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

gg1Wl-NmzWg
Deep down I'm very superficial
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote:shaudenfraude
Why go with dumb German words when English already has a word with the same meaning in epicaricacy.

I am kinda salty about this. :P
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote:
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:I've never looked into this so take it with a gain of...well, ummm..... :? salt

but

Id say that would be dependant on the area in question - protein is the other valuable resource which is not always available and leads people down that path.

coastal peoples usually have plenty of salt and protein, inland peoples can be lacking in both.

I had never thought of this before, so i like the idea of it all
yeah, it's a neat, novel theory, as far as I know. Whether it's true or not is another matter.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:
Why go with dumb German words when English already has a word with the same meaning in epicaricacy.

this may be pedantic, but don't it kinda suck when you use a word that can't be defined without using the word your don't wanna use?

https://www.google.com/search?q=epicari ... e&ie=UTF-8
noddy

Post by noddy »

thats a pretty lavender word, very close to Epicurean in spelling and sound, also lacking in the appropriate strength of tone for the subject matter.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote:

this may be pedantic, but don't it kinda suck when you use a word that can't be defined without using the word your don't wanna use?

zigazckery
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:

zigazckery
Hey, this ain't Napster yer squawking to, How the Hell am I supposed to know what that word means?....
noddy

Post by noddy »

ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Simple Minded wrote:

Im Gegenteil, mein Freund; Es ist das ältere Wort, ein Lehnwort aus dem Griechischen mit einer viel längeren Geschichte als das deutsche Wort. Wenn überhaupt, ist es das deutsche Wort, das ist der Usurpator und es ruht auf den anderen für seine Bedeutung!
noddy

Post by noddy »

Im Gegenteil, mein Freund; Es ist das ältere Wort, ein Lehnwort aus dem Griechischen mit einer viel längeren Geschichte als das deutsche Wort. Wenn überhaupt, ist es das deutsche Wort, das ist der Usurpator und es ruht auf den anderen für seine Bedeutung!

Code: Select all

Oh contraire, you sordid potato dumpling with pickled cabbage; It is the older word, a loan from the Greek with a much longer history than the German word. If at all, it is the German word, that is the usurper and it rests on the other for its meaning!
ultracrepidarian