The self interest of generosity

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Simple Minded

The self interest of generosity

Post by Simple Minded »

https://www.seeker.com/health/mind/happ ... -the-brain

No surprise here. As I have often said, the most generous people I know are all motivated by self-interest. Being generous makes them feel good.
Typhoon

Re: The self interest of generosity

Post by Typhoon »

A cynic once observed that without the suffering masses, altruists would be unemployed.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Simple Minded wrote:https://www.seeker.com/health/mind/happ ... -the-brain

No surprise here. As I have often said, the most generous people I know are all motivated by self-interest. Being generous makes them feel good.
The NPO sector calls this enlightened self-interest. People who can coordinate generosity with self-interest make the best volunteers because they stick around and they work harder. The 'pure' altruists tend to become resentful or just flake off.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:A cynic once observed that without the suffering masses, altruists would be unemployed.
The old saw about using one hand to hold someone down so you can use the other hand to help them up comes to mind.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:https://www.seeker.com/health/mind/happ ... -the-brain

The NPO sector calls this enlightened self-interest. People who can coordinate generosity with self-interest make the best volunteers because they stick around and they work harder. The 'pure' altruists tend to become resentful or just flake off.
You picked the perfect word, resentment.

I still recall the philosophy class lecture about riˈzentmənt "Without a sense of appreciation or gratitude, happiness is impossible."

Makes sense. How does a "selfless individual" maintain their sense of self-esteem? Thru the eyes of "their" chosen audience?

“There was no such person as Mrs. Wayne Wilmot; there was only a shell containing the opinions of her friends....."

No matter how much you do or give, someone in the Peanut Gallery can always ask for more....
noddy

Post by noddy »

its hard work making other people think you are as amazing as you think you are, it can be quite tiring.

bitterness is a wonderful escape route, easy to achieve and uplifting in its removal of the burden.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:its hard work making other people think you are as amazing as you think you are, it can be quite tiring.

bitterness is a wonderful escape route, easy to achieve and uplifting in its removal of the burden.
I've come so far, yet have so much to learn...... :(

Once again, my master, I am humbled by your accurate assessment of the human condition. I am not worthy, but thankful, nonetheless. ;)

Alternating between "Hey listen up you inferior sots, I'm telling how to not be more like me and not so f**ked up!" and "Wow! You people don't accept me as your moral and intellectual superior? Your'e all a bunch of racists!" is probably a necessary strategy for maintaining one's mental health! ;)