Check your privilege

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Apollonius

Check your privilege

Post by Apollonius »

Privilege checking the privilege checkers - Tristan Flock, Quillette, 23 January 2018
http://quillette.com/2018/01/23/privile ... -checkers/

1. Words as Violence

Many will equate words with violence, claiming that harsh criticism and invective are akin to physical abuse. According to this view, violence may be inflicted upon a person merely by offending them. Anyone who claims to believe this, despite never having experienced actual fist-in-their-face, gun-at-their-back, war-in-their-streets physical violence, may need to check their privilege. ...

2. Scientism

The privilege-conscious will sometimes declare modern science to be a power structure that arbitrarily promotes the views and practices of today’s dominant culture. In essence, they think of science as a narrative produced by Western elites that, while influential, is no more reliable than folk wisdom. It is only preferred because it reinforces a white patriarchal monopoly on our view of truth.

Anyone who has never had to undergo surgery without anaesthesia, has safely flown across the world to escape the cold of their local winter, and carries the luxuries of telecommunications in their pocket, but believes the scientific method to be the reprehensible instrument of a white male conspiracy keeping minorities in bondage and cleaving us from nature, should probably check their privilege. ...

3. Capitalism & Freedom

Many of the most privilege-conscious see capitalism as an evil economic regime and think of freedom only as a propaganda term thrown about by neoconservatives. To them, capitalism is the bogeyman hiding behind all of our societal ills, and freedom is an ideal used purely to justify global abuse. If someone lives in a country graced by low levels of poverty, legitimate democratic elections, and a press that publicizes the plight of the governed, yet they wish to abolish markets and live in something more akin to a Communist state, they should check their privilege. ...

4. Believe the Victim

Many of today’s privilege-conscious believe that when grievances are filed against white men by members of historically oppressed groups, we should unconditionally believe the alleged victims. This attitude is most visible in the furor that surrounds sexual assault trials, where some commentators suggest that unequivocal belief in victims’ claims should trump due process. If a person is lucky enough to live in a state where citizens possess the right to be considered innocent until proven guilty in a fair trial, yet they’d rather use tribal markers such as skin colour, class, or sex to determine the guilt of an accused, then they should check their privilege. ...

5. Oppression in Western Civilization

Many of today’s privilege-conscious view white people and the structures of Western societies as irredeemably evil. To them, Western democratic nations are bastions of racist and sexist oppression operating under the guise of “progress.” To question the attitudes and practices of other cultures is racist, but to condemn Western society is a moral obligation. If someone (rightfully) deplores racism and sexism, yet views white males as intrinsically wicked and sees the Western pursuit of knowledge, progress, and morality as a grievous blight upon history, then they should check their privilege. ...
Simple Minded

Re: Check your privilege

Post by Simple Minded »

Excellent article. Thanks for posting Apollonius.

Obviously (?), anyone who has sufficient wealth and leisure to engage in the discussion of "privilege" is an individual who enjoys a tremendous amount of privilege, relative to most of humanity thruout history.

Imagine being so privileged as to not be concerned with actual physical violence committed against one's body (as well as disease, hunger, lack of shelter, etc.) but rather, to be able to focus upon how the violence of another's speech has affected one's self-image.

"We" (society?) need to counter this trend of hyper-sensitivity by once again teaching children the following verbal strategies to enable them to mentally cope with their potential detractors.

"I know you are, but what am I?"
"I'm rubber and you're glue. Everything you say bounces off me and sticks to you!"
"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words shall never hurt me!"

And of course, also training for parents and grandparents.

"Quit yer whining or I'll give you something to whine about!"
"You're offended by what someone at school said? When are you going to learn to grow up!"

As I have said to my wife many times, "The little things bother us only because we have no big problems."

or in ORZ "A mere truffle consoles us because a mere truffle distresses us."
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

There is a thing called the privilege of the normal case, the normal case being what is used as a common reference of type.

I suspect this became mangled into "white privilege".
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

am i feeling lucky?blessed?fortunate? for not being born poor in the wrong country.

or am i feeling guilty?racist?nasty? for not being self loathing.

am i being attacked for looking vaguely white?

so many uages of privelage, all i can say is using it as a verbal attack will likely get the wrong results.
ultracrepidarian
YMix

Post by YMix »

I checked my privilege and it looked fine. Don't know what the fuss is about.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Everybody lives off something which is always a privilege.

Part of the image name says it all: "adults-flock-scavenging-on-rubbish". The white male patriarchy produces a lot of waste to feed on for the less fortunate who instantly become the New Fortunates!

The Last Supper. (One of them does look like Jordan B Peterson)

Deep down I'm very superficial
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

YMix wrote:I checked my privilege and it looked fine. Don't know what the fuss is about.
It is only a big deal to those who are able to generate a paycheck by using the word "privilege" in a post, article, or podcast.

To the other 99.99% of us, meh!

Obviously, your self-flagellation factor needs to be adjusted since you don't seem to feel the need for guilt or self-loathing.

Probably an online tutorial exists somewhere.....
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

YMix wrote:I checked my privilege and it looked fine. Don't know what the fuss is about.
+1
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Post by noddy »

heh. a wee bit more would be nice.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:heh. a wee bit more would be nice.
move to Romania.........or Canada! :P

Imagine the irony. Chirrun go to college, not to learn a skill or trade, cause fixing stuff or solving problems is too boo-schaw for them.

so you hang out with smart highly educated people for a few years so you can compare, disect, and elaborate on the relative privilege of yourself and others.

Who needs to know how to grow food, build a structure, manufacture clothing, or understand how to create and harness electricity?

Special people don't do that kind of work! :)
Apollonius

Post by Apollonius »

Color and cliterature - G. Murphy Donovan, New English Review, February 2018
http://www.newenglishreview.org/custpag ... _id=189165

... Science now has a name for ‘me too’ egoism, careerism, or adolescent selfishness. The clinical community calls it musterbating. Yes, that spelling is correct.

Musterbation is, as irony would have it, a homophone homonym; in short, indulging yourself by other means; “me” and “must” posturing as mandates.

The neologism was coined by behaviorist Albert Ellis. According to Dr. Ellis, musterbation is a series of unrealistic expectations or “shoulds” that the egoist imposes on self and those around him. Musterbation is not to be confused with aspiration. Should is a demand not simply a desire.

Mustabators are at once self-absorbed and judgmental about the world around them. Neither facts nor experience are relevant to the activist bound by self-serving rigid expectations of the cruel work outside the womb.

For the musterbator, introspection or reflection is impossible. Personal and social problems are always someone else’s fault. “It’s your behavior, not mine. That is the problem,” might be his mantra.

Black Lives Matter and #MeToo activists are now musterbating in unison. Both fail to see their behavior as relevant to social pathology. Whitey and “the man” is the excuse for BLM. Covetous men or an oppressive patriarchy are the culprits for #MeToo mustabators. Courage in both cases is lacking because hindsight is not the same as a stout heart.

BLM excoriates a small, largely innocent demographic; cops. #MeToo cuts a wider swath, demonizing men in general, nearly half the population. The two have much in common.

Hypocrisy is a hermaphrodite.

And yes, Oprah; time is up. It’s time for professional victims and celebrity whiners, male and female, to grow up and act like adults.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Apollonius wrote:Color and cliterature - G. Murphy Donovan, New English Review, February 2018
http://www.newenglishreview.org/custpag ... _id=189165

... Science now has a name for ‘me too’ egoism, careerism, or adolescent selfishness. The clinical community calls it musterbating. Yes, that spelling is correct.

Musterbation is, as irony would have it, a homophone homonym; in short, indulging yourself by other means; “me” and “must” posturing as mandates.

The neologism was coined by behaviorist Albert Ellis. According to Dr. Ellis, musterbation is a series of unrealistic expectations or “shoulds” that the egoist imposes on self and those around him. Musterbation is not to be confused with aspiration. Should is a demand not simply a desire.

Mustabators are at once self-absorbed and judgmental about the world around them. Neither facts nor experience are relevant to the activist bound by self-serving rigid expectations of the cruel work outside the womb.

For the musterbator, introspection or reflection is impossible. Personal and social problems are always someone else’s fault. “It’s your behavior, not mine. That is the problem,” might be his mantra.

Black Lives Matter and #MeToo activists are now musterbating in unison. Both fail to see their behavior as relevant to social pathology. Whitey and “the man” is the excuse for BLM. Covetous men or an oppressive patriarchy are the culprits for #MeToo mustabators. Courage in both cases is lacking because hindsight is not the same as a stout heart.

BLM excoriates a small, largely innocent demographic; cops. #MeToo cuts a wider swath, demonizing men in general, nearly half the population. The two have much in common.

Hypocrisy is a hermaphrodite.

And yes, Oprah; time is up. It’s time for professional victims and celebrity whiners, male and female, to grow up and act like adults.
Love it. Excellent summary, thanks for posting Apollonius.

musterbating is an excellent amalgam of posturing, posing, proselytizing, holier than thou, group identity addiction, etc.