Chaos & Order

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Simple Minded

Chaos & Order

Post by Simple Minded »

http://quillette.com/2018/01/27/walking ... -peterson/

In ORZ, "fix yourself before you try to fix the world."
"

So when you talk about doing the right thing for yourself, your family, and society, there is a hierarchy there? Yourself comes first?

The individual comes first because of its proximity. You are more informed about what is happening locally. Like, you are more informed about what is happening right here, than you are about what’s happening in India. You have to take your proximal concerns seriously. But the idea I have been putting forward, derived in part from Piaget, is that if you get your proximal concerns right, then you simultaneously take care of the distal concerns.

There is a reason for that. The reason has to do, in some sense, with people’s discovery of the future. Now, animals, for example, are very impulsive, they are not good at planning for the future. So, in order for you to behave properly towards yourself, you have to do what is right for you right here and now, but you also have to do it in a way that doesn’t interfere with you tomorrow, or you next week, or you next month, or maybe even you ten years from now.

So you’re actually an indefinite sequence of “you’s” stretching into the future. That means you have to regulate your behaviour now so that all those indefinite “you’s” also benefit.

There is almost no difference between having them benefit, and having people around you benefit, because the same game that will work for you in your indefinite reiterations will also work for the people around you. "

This part reminds me of the people who are slave to their own concept of group identity. They sort the data according to their preferred filter (choosing to ignore other relevant variables that may trash their narrative), then voila' the processed data proves their preconceptions!

"

Let’s talk about the gender pay gap…

It doesn’t exist. How about we do some multivariate analysis? That’s the answer to that. Men and women get paid differently. What’s your point? Do you want to add some more variables? How about we do that? Which variables?

Well, we can have an intelligent discussion about that. If you do a reasonable multivariate analysis, there is no gender pay gap. And the objection to that was, [*Peterson at this point assumes a higher pitched voice*] “Well, we don’t need a multivariate analysis.” It’s like, yeah, you do.

Is that your woman’s voice? That’s my radical feminist voice, yes. "

Peterson reminds me of the Mark Steyn of a few years back.