Computer Games

A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.

Re: Computer Games

Postby noddy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:21 am

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:thanks for the heads up on Strife....

I had my eye on that as a Christmas gift, so I can cross it off.

I'm having the toughest time finding games that really pop out and seem to be worth a go according to everyone's tastes and inclinations.

yah, its slim pickins out there for action games, ive resorted to just throwing $10ish a month at humble bundle and seeing what the lands.
noddy

Postby NapLajoieonSteroids » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:14 pm

Axiom Verge is going under the tree:

But let's rant about Metroid.

As far as I'm concerned they've made 2 really good ones: the original NES Metroid and the first Metroid Prime. The other Prime games seem okay (watching others play them), and the rest fall into not even worth it categories.

And that includes the much vaunted Super Metroid, which has to be a major fault line between the voluble minority who populate the game industry and message boards, and the wider world.

It took almost everything great about the original and simplified it or made it lame. Some of it unavoidable, due to technology changes, but a lot of it intended to make it appeal more to kids-- which it didn't at the time, as every bargain bin was filled with it and it was a disaster-- and those kids grew up to terrorize people with this game.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Postby noddy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:33 am

i played the original black and white gameboy version back in the day - remember enjoying it.

some have said that the new doom is akin to the new 3d reboots but ive never seen those.
noddy

Postby NapLajoieonSteroids » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:00 am

That game actually didn't cross my mind because I've never played it (or seen it played); while I heard its pretty linear, it gets a big pass in my book for being a limited gameboy game; the non-Prime, non-Retro made game series has practically thrown the first two games aside by remaking them in light of Super Metroid and the cinematic ambitions of Yoshio Sakamoto- who was involved, but the not the main creator of the first two games- that would be the late Gameboy designer, and a personal favorite, Gunpei Yokoi.

The remake of that gameboy game, Samus Returns, is filled with cinematic cut scenes and ninja moves and warp points. Samus can even hang on to ledges....going out of his way to erase what made the original games great, despite it being a big ol'Aliens ripoff.

...I guess in that sense, he's Ridley Scott :D
------

Yokoi (for those lurking looking for a factoid) was responsible for the gameboy and the direction pad, and probably has my favorite concept of a philosophy of design, that one should pursue "lateral thinking with withered technology."
NapLajoieonSteroids

Previous

Return to Art + Architecture