Computer Games

A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.

Re: Computer Games

Postby noddy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:21 am

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:thanks for the heads up on Strife....

I had my eye on that as a Christmas gift, so I can cross it off.

I'm having the toughest time finding games that really pop out and seem to be worth a go according to everyone's tastes and inclinations.

yah, its slim pickins out there for action games, ive resorted to just throwing $10ish a month at humble bundle and seeing what the lands.
noddy

Postby NapLajoieonSteroids » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:14 pm

Axiom Verge is going under the tree:

But let's rant about Metroid.

As far as I'm concerned they've made 2 really good ones: the original NES Metroid and the first Metroid Prime. The other Prime games seem okay (watching others play them), and the rest fall into not even worth it categories.

And that includes the much vaunted Super Metroid, which has to be a major fault line between the voluble minority who populate the game industry and message boards, and the wider world.

It took almost everything great about the original and simplified it or made it lame. Some of it unavoidable, due to technology changes, but a lot of it intended to make it appeal more to kids-- which it didn't at the time, as every bargain bin was filled with it and it was a disaster-- and those kids grew up to terrorize people with this game.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Postby noddy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:33 am

i played the original black and white gameboy version back in the day - remember enjoying it.

some have said that the new doom is akin to the new 3d reboots but ive never seen those.
noddy

Postby NapLajoieonSteroids » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:00 am

That game actually didn't cross my mind because I've never played it (or seen it played); while I heard its pretty linear, it gets a big pass in my book for being a limited gameboy game; the non-Prime, non-Retro made game series has practically thrown the first two games aside by remaking them in light of Super Metroid and the cinematic ambitions of Yoshio Sakamoto- who was involved, but the not the main creator of the first two games- that would be the late Gameboy designer, and a personal favorite, Gunpei Yokoi.

The remake of that gameboy game, Samus Returns, is filled with cinematic cut scenes and ninja moves and warp points. Samus can even hang on to ledges....going out of his way to erase what made the original games great, despite it being a big ol'Aliens ripoff.

...I guess in that sense, he's Ridley Scott :D
------

Yokoi (for those lurking looking for a factoid) was responsible for the gameboy and the direction pad, and probably has my favorite concept of a philosophy of design, that one should pursue "lateral thinking with withered technology."
NapLajoieonSteroids

Postby NapLajoieonSteroids » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:07 am

LA Noire (remastered) -

a (mostly) point-and-click adventure set in an open world environment with cinematic pretensions.

It is a very odd game; one of a kind in a sense as it was a dead end of game-making, fraught with a disastrous, abusive production and motion capture which still stands out several years after its initial release (and more than a decade since it began production). It also is closer to the type of computer game I generally rail against for being on a console.

There is something about this game which is highly compelling and almost perfect- now that (most of) the terrible bugs have been cleaned up in the remaster- almost to a point I wish other people and companies would explore when it comes to those wishing to make their interactive movies.

I can't quite put my finger on it yet but in retrospect, some of the criticisms I've read about it, are strengths in my opinion. Yes, the game world is mostly empty, there is a lot of repetition [get case, go to scene of crime, point and click for clues, interview everyone with shifty eyes, then do XYorZ to wrap it all up} and it is really bare-bone when it comes to side-quest and doodads to collect. This is all to its benefit. At no point did I feel like the game was wasting my time like a standard open world game might nor losing my attention like a standard point and click adventure might. By making it "open world", the game makes the player affirm every move while going through the story and it gives a greater sense of participation. It does an excellent job of leading you along without advertising that because it makes you affirm every move and doesn't bog you down in a collect-a-thon or showing off their open world. If anything, the few collectibles are probably too much because it does border on the ridiculous to be working a case and stopping just to get shiny object #1 of 30 in most instances. The only one which works are "extra" newspapers which further the story with little cut scenes. Now, most of this is unintentional; as its intention was obviously a grand theft auto competitor supposed to be released sometime around 2004...but somehow its a superior Assassin's Creed or the much better choose your own adventure- detailed but discrete...I'm gonna hafta think about this some more. There are plenty of problems and you it expects you to buy into the pulp story (which I guess caused some controversy) which YMMV...but it turned out a lot better than I expected.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Postby noddy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:40 am

i tried it briefly after a whimsical ps3 bargain bin purchase.

didnt last long - i remember the stumbling block was you having to read plastic faces and stilted dialog to guess if they where telling lies and i found that killed any interest as the engine wasnt good enough to make it a fun idea.

generally, I cant stand any of those 3rd person adventure things - assassins creed or uncharted, full of busy work and cutscenes, i consider it the opposite of gaming.

i am about to try http://store.steampowered.com/app/390030/DESYNC/ , which had interesting reviews - puzzle based and arena - shooting my 2 favourite genres

yay for steam and $5 games.
noddy

Postby NapLajoieonSteroids » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:10 am

Tried out Skyrim VR- gave me a strong case of motion sickness. Really felt it jumping off a cliff and then riding a horse.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Postby NapLajoieonSteroids » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:11 am

noddy wrote:i tried it briefly after a whimsical ps3 bargain bin purchase.

didnt last long - i remember the stumbling block was you having to read plastic faces and stilted dialog to guess if they where telling lies and i found that killed any interest as the engine wasnt good enough to make it a fun idea.

generally, I cant stand any of those 3rd person adventure things - assassins creed or uncharted, full of busy work and cutscenes, i consider it the opposite of gaming.

i am about to try http://store.steampowered.com/app/390030/DESYNC/ , which had interesting reviews - puzzle based and arena - shooting my 2 favourite genres

yay for steam and $5 games.

While I see your point, I had a blast reading the plastic faces and going through the stilted dialog, as it remained head and shoulders above the rest of the stilted dialog found in these types of games. And sure engine wasn't great but I guess I'm cutting it some slack for being so old and looking, to me, better than a lot of current games.

Compared to Uncharted 4, which I watched my gal friday plow through during the last snow storm:

cut scene- learn button- longer cut scene- loading scene-- about an hour of useless moping about Uncharted guy's house- cut scene- play Crash Bandicoot on a PS1 inside the game just to show it off/nostalgia/cross-promotion/another pointless cutscene/game really starts/cut scene/jump a cliff/cut scene....

and the little battles in between are a chore making you wish you get to the next cut scene as soon as possible. And Uncharted is a super detailed character- to show off PS4 we were speculating- whereas some of the other character models were really off and jarring next to Uncharted.

All the "look at me" locations blend together as you race to just get to the finish line. Number 4 may have been the most uninspired, bland mess yet- which is impressive in itself.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Postby noddy » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:47 pm

in the same vein i got "quantum break" from my humble bundle and it was hideous, i didnt make it out of the first section.

"watch movie, press w to walk to next movie"

glitch ended up being boring , no puzzles, just a dinky shooter with a graphical style that got tedious fast.

next up in my humble bundle is civ 6 - i havent played civ since civ 1 and i didnt like it much .....
noddy

Postby Typhoon » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:22 am

Train drifting | AGDQ [Awesome Games Done Quick] 2018

Considering how many times I've taken the Hankyu line, I'm glad the driver has not tried try "multi track drifting".
All the world's a stage.
Typhoon

Postby NapLajoieonSteroids » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:54 am

Typhoon wrote:Train drifting | AGDQ [Awesome Games Done Quick] 2018

Considering how many times I've taken the Hankyu line, I'm glad the driver has not tried try "multi track drifting".

:thumbsup:
NapLajoieonSteroids

Postby NapLajoieonSteroids » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:37 pm

noddy wrote:in the same vein i got "quantum break" from my humble bundle and it was hideous, i didnt make it out of the first section.

glitch ended up being boring , no puzzles, just a dinky shooter with a graphical style that got tedious fast.

next up in my humble bundle is civ 6 - i havent played civ since civ 1 and i didnt like it much .....

Quantum Break was that one Microsoft had a tv show planned for, right? It was at the Xbox One unveiling, and originally you were supposed to play the game and watch the show and eat the cereal and vote one some choice they gave you which effected show and game? :)
NapLajoieonSteroids

Postby NapLajoieonSteroids » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:44 pm

noddy wrote:in the same vein i got "quantum break" from my humble bundle and it was hideous, i didnt make it out of the first section.

As for civilization 6-

that looks like it had clash of clans/smartphone customers in mind.

I haven't played anyone of them since 3 and my understanding is that by 4 and beyond it hits a ditch and has yet to recover.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Postby noddy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:31 am

all the resource games are dead to me - all i can see is a spreadsheet and i dont find accounting interesting.
noddy

Postby NapLajoieonSteroids » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:45 pm

I love spreadsheet games, puts my mind at ease

but...

they almost never live up to their ambitions.

Either computing power isn't there yet or they'd be too complicated for all but a very narrow user base or....

Civilization has the name and can crow about being first on the scene but not much else. Everything it does is done 10x better by other games.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Postby NapLajoieonSteroids » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:52 pm

Still very early in the development process but still exciting news.

And to go with that, the original Age of Empires is receiving a "Definitive Edition" facelift treatment and will be out before March.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Postby noddy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:18 pm

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:I love spreadsheet games, puts my mind at ease

but...

they almost never live up to their ambitions.

Either computing power isn't there yet or they'd be too complicated for all but a very narrow user base or....

Civilization has the name and can crow about being first on the scene but not much else. Everything it does is done 10x better by other games.

I actually want to find one i like - the fact i havent liked one up till now is disappointing.

in theory they would provide an amusing tinker toy whilst my subconscious is busy solving a tedious structural problem without me :)

i think their are a fair few of them building up in my unplayed steam games list due to acquiring the 5-10 game collections on special but the act of downloading them and trying them seems a chore, so thats not happening.

if you have memories of any that you did find amusing, i wouldnt mind a shortlist to check against my unplayed catalog.
noddy

Previous

Return to Art + Architecture