Cool Maps

A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.
Typhoon

Re: Cool Maps

Post by Typhoon »

Reminds me of some misadventures I had with the Midwest dialect when I first moved there.

1/

Me [at a restaurant]: "What do you have on tap?"

Waitress [with offended look]: "On tap [top] of what?"

2/

Me [at a store]: "I would like to buy some racks."

Sales woman: "You want to buy some racks?"

Me: "Yes, to put on a wall."

Sales woman: "You want to put racks on your wall?"

Me: "Yes."

This line of discussion goes back and forth several times . . .

Sales woman: "Okay. Why do you want to put racks on your wall?"

Me: "To hold books and other things."

Sales woman: "Oh. You want racks [rhaahcks]. I thought you meant racks [rocks]."
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

I have the opposite experience. After living in Kentucky (which is not a southern state by any stretch of the imagination) my family up in Indiana tell me that I have an accent. I can't hear it when I talk though and most of my neighbors and members of my church are from Wisconsin and Minnesota so I'm not really sure what I sound like to them.
Been busy doing stuff
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Hoosiernorm wrote:I have the opposite experience. After living in Kentucky (which is not a southern state by any stretch of the imagination) my family up in Indiana tell me that I have an accent. I can't hear it when I talk though and most of my neighbors and members of my church are from Wisconsin and Minnesota so I'm not really sure what I sound like to them.
The strong southern US dialect was like another language to me until I started dating a southern belle from the state of Mississippi.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

Typhoon wrote:
This map was created by Massimo Pietrobon and shows the countries of the world as they were thought to look in prehistoric times. This single, big continent was called Pangaea.

[Click on the image for a larger version]
Seeing where Portugal is, could it be the reason why we are so fond of cod?... :P
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Endovelico wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
This map was created by Massimo Pietrobon and shows the countries of the world as they were thought to look in prehistoric times. This single, big continent was called Pangaea.

[Click on the image for a larger version]
Seeing where Portugal is, could it be the reason why we are so fond of cod?... :P
I find it interesting that Australia was once south of the Antarctic.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

The literal meaning of places around the globe

Kyoto -> Capital capital

as opposed to

Tokyo -> Eastern capital
YMix

Post by YMix »

"Teleorman is a county of Romania, in the historical region Muntenia, with its capital city at Alexandria. The name Teleorman is of Cumanic (Turkic) origin. It literally means crazy forest (Deli orman) and, by extension, "thick and shadowy forest" in the Cuman language."

The city of Vienna is known in Magyar, Slovak and archaic Romanian as "Becs", "Beč" and "Beci". They are pronounced almost the same, with the "cs", "č" and "ci" being the equivalent of the English "ch". The name comes from the Cuman word "beç", which means "fortified".

The Turks call the Mediterranean Ak Deniz, which means "White Sea". As opposed to Kara Deniz, the Black Sea.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Typhoon wrote:Urban Observatory
Looks like a very informative and fun site. I think I could spend hours there (but not much time for that today).

Thanks. I'll definitely take advantage of it.
cultivate a white rose
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

ethno-linguistic map of former Soviet central Asia

full resolution here

It appears that the capital of Kazakhstan, Astana (formerly known as Aqmola or Akmolinsk), is in territory mainly inhabited by Russians.
cultivate a white rose
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

NukeMap 3D

Play Dr. Strangelove.
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

more cool maps

40 maps that explain the world

for larger maps, and accompanying articles, follow link [top of this post] to the Washington Post site
cultivate a white rose
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon,

I have no idea what that first map means, but if I wanted to sell black market viagara, my target market would be the Northeast. :)
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Perhaps we should send our Canadian friend on an anthropological expedition to visit the Komi, Udmurts, Mari, etc.

There appear to be some uncharted redheads over there.
cultivate a white rose
noddy

Post by noddy »

i do like the "simplified" tokyo underground map, love to be running late and on the wrong train there.
ultracrepidarian
YMix

Post by YMix »

“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Gosh that is a very accurate map.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

SPY-hr-8-M0
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Typhoon wrote:SPY-hr-8-M0
Computers are amazing. Just set your system date back a few centuries, launch Google Street View . . .
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Enki

Post by Enki »

http://opportunityindex.org/

I don't know how to link a picture from the page, but it's got data on opportunity score, economy score, education score and community score.

Apparently Vermont has the highest opportunity. The Midwest as a region is the best, up there with New England, while the Southeast and Southwest aren't doing so hot.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Apollonius

Post by Apollonius »

Some of those maps are very good. Others are pretty speculative or even downright wrong. For example, the map which purports to show what Africa might look like if it had never been colonized.

Cyon drew these boundaries based on a study of political and tribal units in 1844, the eve of Europe's "scramble for Africa."

Before the European partition of Africa, the continent was divided into approximately 10,000 independent political units, not counting those societies which recognized no authority wider than the extended family.