Movies + TV series: Past and New Recommendation

A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.
Typhoon

Re: Movies: New Release Recommendations + Scenes from the P

Post by Typhoon »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:.

" Deep Throat "
so timely

:lol:

Only if someone is able to turn up a smoking gun.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

7g96BcnlxCU
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Justice League is one of the most disappointing and cowardly films a major motion picture studio has ever released. In its rush to repudiate everything Zack Snyder, it jettisoned any semblance of a story, pacing, most of its visual artistry, coherence, character development and entertainment factor.

This is the second disaster of a film DC has released, and this lacks even the few redeeming qualities that Suicide Squad managed to sneak past the nebbish WB executives.

Couple this with that bad Wonder Woman film and it is almost sad that Warner Brothers lost its nerve- Zack Snyder made two of the greatest (or at least, most interesting) movies of the last decade with Man of Steel and Batman v Superman, which tops and transcend its genre like a good gangster or cowboy movie.

That he was not able to, at the very least, complete his trilogy is a real shame and will look even worse as these movies are better appraised by future generations.

...yes, as silly as it sounds.

Mr.Snyder will never be forgiven for making 300- a movie I've never seen outside catching a few scenes here or there- and since then, every movie he has made has been met with the most petty and ridiculous criticisms imaginable, especially in regards to the two films mentioned above.

No one who creates such divisive and vitrolic reactions can even be half the hack he is accused of being.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

I can't take movies with guys and gals running around in cosplay outfits seriously.
Comic books were things I read as a kid, not watched films as an adult.

Have seen a few, found the story lines weak and the acting forgettable.
CGI is no substitute for talent.

The one I did like was Guardians of the Galaxy I which has some humour and wit, especially the racoon and the tree.
noddy

Post by noddy »

I can give you man of steel, it was what it was and made sense within itself.

sucicide squad was margot robbie in small shorts, i cant rember anything else, it was pretty hideous.

BvS was a complete absurdity and barring a couple of batman fight scense without redemption, from worst luther to silliest arc, it was just plain broken.

i have no idea about justice league, i wont be watching it until its on free streaming.

I will freely admit to preferring the current marvel formula - super hero movies only work as bubble gum action comedies with charismatic actors and anything more serious, or dark, or thoughtful is usually deserving of another platform such as sci fi.

Snyder isnt good as far as my tastes go, a slightly better michael bay, living on good visuals but incapable of nuance or subtlety.

a step up from oliver stone i spose -another overrated one with the deft touch of a rabid rhino.

HERE IS MY POINT - IN YOUR FACE BIATCHES - TASTE MY POINT, TASTE MY POINT, GOOD GOOD, DID I SAY I WANTED TO MAKE A POINT.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

let's put it this way, even if you don't like Zack Snyder, the Justice League movie they put out is in worst shape than it should've been because they clearly go out of their way to un-Snyder the whole movie without actually replacing Snyder.

There were maybe two or three complete scenes which were clearly directed by Snyder. Even then, there is a very noticeable overdubbing of dialogue which at parts pass the the comically amateurish "his lips are not in sync with his lines" and the color correction to de-Snyder it make scenes look a lot uglier than they should. There are lots of bits and pieces Snyder shot in the first two acts (the third is almost completely superhack Joss Whedon) which are frankenstein'd into Whedon's scenes to a jarring, confusing and overall unappealing mess.

Warner Brothers should've either taken the financial hit and delayed the movie/fired Snyder OR just rode Snyder's vision out-- both options would've been cheaper than the half a billion mess they ended up with.
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote:I can give you man of steel, it was what it was and made sense within itself.

sucicide squad was margot robbie in small shorts, i cant rember anything else, it was pretty hideous.

BvS was a complete absurdity and barring a couple of batman fight scense without redemption, from worst luther to silliest arc, it was just plain broken.

i have no idea about justice league, i wont be watching it until its on free streaming.

I will freely admit to preferring the current marvel formula - super hero movies only work as bubble gum action comedies with charismatic actors and anything more serious, or dark, or thoughtful is usually deserving of another platform such as sci fi.
Margot Robbie- the whole "I'm a damaged daddy's girl in Juggalo makeup" of a character is really...ummm....deflating.

I get the Marvel formula thing and I've seen almost all of them, because when you go to the movies with a group of people looking for a fun time (for most) it's a safer bet than the other toy-movies. All the actors they have are ultra-charismatic and people want a laugh with some punching. But so many of them range from the boring to the terrible. Suicide Squad, again, was an absolute mess of a movie but it was like a fascinating train wreck- where I was so bowled over that it was released like that....Marvel's worst like Thor in the Dark World or Captain America Civil War are just plain tedious to a point of offensiveness.

The best of the bunch- like the second Captain America- is tv movie quality made by tv directors. The original Iron Man rests of the charisma of Robert Downey Jr., James Gunn is a real director but his Guardians of the Galaxy movie shows off precisely his limits- he'll come up with a bunch of ideas that are never fully fleshed out. A personal favorite, Ant-Man, is a really bad movie which has a fun third act and some wonderfully hammy acting from Michael Douglas and the guy playing Ant-Man....the rest you could throw in the trash without losing anything.

What fun is that?
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote:Snyder isnt good as far as my tastes go, a slightly better michael bay, living on good visuals but incapable of nuance or subtlety.

a step up from oliver stone i spose -another overrated one with the deft touch of a rabid rhino.

HERE IS MY POINT - IN YOUR FACE BIATCHES - TASTE MY POINT, TASTE MY POINT, GOOD GOOD, DID I SAY I WANTED TO MAKE A POINT.

Michael Bay is an advertisement man, and almost all his movies are advertisements. He gives you precisely what you pay for. Now, I haven't seen his Transformer/Ninja Turtle/toy movies but with his others, he give you an advertisement of masculinity. Now I agree that he neither nuanced or subtle; but it is also an avenue hardly touched upon in modern Hollywood or filmed so well in a visual medium. I don't even care for the guy's movies but he gets crapped upon for achieving precisely what he sets out to do, which is something that makes a wonderful or capable director- regardless of taste.

Snyder's weaknesses are that he has a tin ear when it comes to dialogue [though he's been able to pick his spots] and clearly has a preference for wooden actors where he is more concerned with them looking good in his shots than delivering a line or winning over an audience. But I don't understand the lack of nuance charge and think subtlety is a modernist technique often misused and unhelpful in a major studio motion picture meant to play to mass markets.
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Snyder's weaknesses are that he has a tin ear when it comes to dialogue [though he's been able to pick his spots] and clearly has a preference for wooden actors where he is more concerned with them looking good in his shots than delivering a line or winning over an audience. But I don't understand the lack of nuance charge and think subtlety is a modernist technique often misused and unhelpful in a major studio motion picture meant to play to mass markets.
ok - thats probably a better way of expressing it.

I was thinking in particular about BvS and the opening scene settting the tone for batman not liking superman, yet then the terrible ledger-lite luther spends the entire movie trying to trick him into not liking superman, yet then we have the wonderously cheesy moment they both realise they have mums.

that arc just left me dumbfounded, it was written by a 14 year old boy.

.. which is fine, its a superhero movie, yet somehow the tone didnt carry that at all, it was pretending to be adult.
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:let's put it this way, even if you don't like Zack Snyder, the Justice League movie they put out is in worst shape than it should've been because they clearly go out of their way to un-Snyder the whole movie without actually replacing Snyder.

There were maybe two or three complete scenes which were clearly directed by Snyder. Even then, there is a very noticeable overdubbing of dialogue which at parts pass the the comically amateurish "his lips are not in sync with his lines" and the color correction to de-Snyder it make scenes look a lot uglier than they should. There are lots of bits and pieces Snyder shot in the first two acts (the third is almost completely superhack Joss Whedon) which are frankenstein'd into Whedon's scenes to a jarring, confusing and overall unappealing mess.

Warner Brothers should've either taken the financial hit and delayed the movie/fired Snyder OR just rode Snyder's vision out-- both options would've been cheaper than the half a billion mess they ended up with.
shudder - i cant think of 2 more incompatible styles than snyder or whedon - come to think of it whedon should have done suicide squad, atleast his bratty hipster thing would have possibly saved some characters.
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Margot Robbie- the whole "I'm a damaged daddy's girl in Juggalo makeup" of a character is really...ummm....deflating.
absolutely, the entire setup between her and ledger-lite-lite was cringe worthy and borderline unwatchable.
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:
I get the Marvel formula thing and I've seen almost all of them, because when you go to the movies with a group of people looking for a fun time (for most) it's a safer bet than the other toy-movies. All the actors they have are ultra-charismatic and people want a laugh with some punching. But so many of them range from the boring to the terrible. Suicide Squad, again, was an absolute mess of a movie but it was like a fascinating train wreck- where I was so bowled over that it was released like that....Marvel's worst like Thor in the Dark World or Captain America Civil War are just plain tedious to a point of offensiveness.

The best of the bunch- like the second Captain America- is tv movie quality made by tv directors. The original Iron Man rests of the charisma of Robert Downey Jr., James Gunn is a real director but his Guardians of the Galaxy movie shows off precisely his limits- he'll come up with a bunch of ideas that are never fully fleshed out. A personal favorite, Ant-Man, is a really bad movie which has a fun third act and some wonderfully hammy acting from Michael Douglas and the guy playing Ant-Man....the rest you could throw in the trash without losing anything.

What fun is that?
they all blur into one another - only early iron man or first guardians of galaxy are probably going to hang round as rewatchable, maybe captain america 2 and the first avengers.

barring thor and ultron (both terrible) they all still remind me of a schlocky arnold thing from the 80's/90's and i have a soft spot for that type of popcorn movie - action comedy is movies at their escapist best, so im quite forgiving even if it is unmemorable.

guardians 2 was pretty weak too now im thinking of it.

antman was fun, a low key comedy heist caper more than a superhero movie.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:let's put it this way, even if you don't like Zack Snyder, the Justice League movie they put out is in worst shape than it should've been because they clearly go out of their way to un-Snyder the whole movie without actually replacing Snyder.

I have enjoyed most of the Marvel superhero movies. They are good mix of humor and sci-fi. yep, I'm from the generation who read comics back when they were called comics. I think they are called graphic novels now. They were supposed to be fun and playful. Check out some old Legion of Super Heroes comics from the late 1960s' some time.

Superman vs. Batman was so bad, seeing that and the previews for Justice League have destroyed any interest I had in seeing Justice League. If you can't put together a decent preview.......

I think the DC crowd has realized they can't clear the bar the Marvel crowd has set and they have decided to go artsy-artsy dark instead.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Personal preference, but if I want to watch a larger than life character in costume being witty, my preference is

OAXX-tr0gzg
The entire play is written in verse, in rhyming couplets of twelve syllables per line.
The original rap.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Simple Minded wrote:

I have enjoyed most of the Marvel superhero movies. They are good mix of humor and sci-fi. yep, I'm from the generation who read comics back when they were called comics. I think they are called graphic novels now. They were supposed to be fun and playful. Check out some old Legion of Super Heroes comics from the late 1960s' some time.

Superman vs. Batman was so bad, seeing that and the previews for Justice League have destroyed any interest I had in seeing Justice League. If you can't put together a decent preview.......

I think the DC crowd has realized they can't clear the bar the Marvel crowd has set and they have decided to go artsy-artsy dark instead.
{Another Trump Wrong Gif Here} ;)

Warner Brothers has been going artsy and dark since the beginning- think of all those gangster/gun moll movies from the 30s'. Warner Brothers views itself as the major league arthouse studio, who nurtures, supports and gets out of the way of the talent. Sort of like how Disney's mission statement is to be family-friendly. How true this is in practice is another matter but Warner Brothers, until recently, hasn't been one to interfere like they have in Justice League.

So their DC movies have always veered towards seriousness from Tim Burton's Batman on down, and when they've attempted levity, it hasn't worked.

I think the Marvel crowd is a lot of people like noddy describes, who have drifted over from the action-comedy crowd as they aren't served otherwise; I just don't see how Warner Brothers captures those people, even through imitation- too much institutional memory...sort of like how the New York Mets, 60 years on, are still an organization which develops pitching very easily.

Let me ask you SM, growing up, you were the prime age for Marvel, right? The main Spiderman stories, the Fantastic Four, the Hulk....that period where kids were buying more than half a million Marvel comics a week, and DC was all but dead. There is a total different connection.

I should add that reading comic books wasn't something I did as a kid or an adult, unless I was with my mother when she would food shop- I'd sit in the comic book aisle and go through all of them.

So maybe it being different from the source material is just something which doesn't register with me.
Last edited by NapLajoieonSteroids on Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote: shudder - i cant think of 2 more incompatible styles than snyder or whedon - come to think of it whedon should have done suicide squad, atleast his bratty hipster thing would have possibly saved some characters.

It's that bad, coupled with obvious rush jobs- hair styles, costumes, faces change shot to shot....Batman goes from athletic to outright fat with a double chin and back multiple times between cut-aways.

Whedon shouldn't be near anything- I don't know if you saw Fury but David Ayer is a capable director, and in Fury he shows he can more than handle an ensemble. The problems were all on the studio end: panic after the Batman v Superman reception, coupled with a need to make everyone the star (to sell toys). They should have focused on either Margot Robbie or Will Smith as the "star" and let Ayer film it as originally intended- a movie about how even the most villainous of people can come together and do good occasionally. You see some of that in the bar scene, where Smith's character admits he's a sociopath and the fire guy puts everyone in their place by telling his story about being a gangbanger responsible for murdering his family. Instead, WB wanted Guardians of the Galaxy where everyone is a loveable rogue and Han Solo type. "Good" bad boy types; not actual bad guys...why they thought the original idea would work for a summer blockbuster is beyond me, but it's more interesting.
absolutely, the entire setup between her and ledger-lite-lite was cringe worthy and borderline unwatchable.

But sold a lot of t-shirts at Hot Topic, once they cut all the domestic violence scenes. :D That guy was absolutely terrible.

they all blur into one another - only early iron man or first guardians of galaxy are probably going to hang round as rewatchable, maybe captain america 2 and the first avengers.

barring thor and ultron (both terrible) they all still remind me of a schlocky arnold thing from the 80's/90's and i have a soft spot for that type of popcorn movie - action comedy is movies at their escapist best, so im quite forgiving even if it is unmemorable.

guardians 2 was pretty weak too now im thinking of it.

antman was fun, a low key comedy heist caper more than a superhero movie.
I think you're selling Arnold way short. A number of those schlocky movies are really good movies, even if they are B movies. Predator, Running Man, Conan the Barbarian, Twins, Total Recall, the Terminator films...there are more, but there is a real quality to them and a running theme surrounding identity and belonging. Ah-nud, in that sense, was a bit of an auteur choosing some really great ideas to put on film- even if they were dismissed at the time.

Guardians 2- I thought it had a lot of great set ups, and the all great (and cheesy) Kurt Russell but no pay off. Some of the shots and energy of the scenes were above the usual Marvel movie, but that's nothing to write home about. Like the original, there aren't any really great scenes, like it's just beyond their reach but maybe if you watch a little bit more, it'll get there.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Typhoon wrote:Personal preference, but if I want to watch a larger than life character in costume being witty, my preference is

OAXX-tr0gzg
The entire play is written in verse, in rhyming couplets of twelve syllables per line.
The original rap.
It's a lot easier when you are time tested for close to 4oo years. ;)

Alas, I grew up on the Steve Martin version, Roxanne, as it was a staple of cable tv. It veers well into the treacly, like a lot of Steve Martin movies.
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote:
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Snyder's weaknesses are that he has a tin ear when it comes to dialogue [though he's been able to pick his spots] and clearly has a preference for wooden actors where he is more concerned with them looking good in his shots than delivering a line or winning over an audience. But I don't understand the lack of nuance charge and think subtlety is a modernist technique often misused and unhelpful in a major studio motion picture meant to play to mass markets.
ok - thats probably a better way of expressing it.

I was thinking in particular about BvS and the opening scene settting the tone for batman not liking superman, yet then the terrible ledger-lite luther spends the entire movie trying to trick him into not liking superman, yet then we have the wonderously cheesy moment they both realise they have mums.

that arc just left me dumbfounded, it was written by a 14 year old boy.

.. which is fine, its a superhero movie, yet somehow the tone didnt carry that at all, it was pretending to be adult.
Au contraire-

Jesse Einsenberg's Lex Luthor had nothing in common with Heath Ledger's Joker; the most salient difference being his lack of nihilism [like every character in Christopher Nolan's Batman movies].

Lex Luthor, in this movie, is metafictional commentary; he is not Ledger but a lampoon of nerdy fanboys and all the internet rage they produced after man of steel- "My superman doesn't kill...." stuff. Out of all the characters in the film (not named Lois Lane or Martha Kent) he really believes in Superman. He isn't an abstraction (like he is for the talking heads or congressmen) or a frightening, unknown threat beyond people's control or comprehension (like for Batman); he is a living, breathing demigod who Luther decides must act a certain way in his headcanon. Superman is more real for Luthor than the people around him. He treats those people despicably, beneath him; he's entitled, petulant, passive-aggressive, lacking compassion, brazen- he complains about how menacing Superman is, but has nary a second thought about unleashing an apocalyptic beast on a terrorized population, to make Superman conform to his idealized version of him.

He's the fanboy who really, truly believes in his comic book characters but cannot stand the thought of them being treated as real characters out of their control and not merely as avatars they can read themselves into. [see: the scene where Luthor introduces the two main protagonists as if he were a little kid playing with action figures. The scene is even blocked so that he is standing in the middle of them, his hands raised just enough to suggest he's holding them by the waist (like a child does with figurines) and mimicking a real conversation.] I'd also point to the big "f-you" mid-credit stinger in the middle of the film Snyder places to "tease" the other heroes. The "Luther file" spells out: 4 U CIA, has "Bill Wilson" on the top of the page (the CIA character in Dark Knight Rises the meme is based on was named) and its superhero files are "too big"...Luthor (Snyder) actually baneposts in the middle of the movie.

As far as Batman is concerned, he convinces him of nothing. This is my favorite portrayal of Batman, maybe more so because Ben Affleck is a terrible, uncharismatic actor. He is the actual villain of the movie and a real tragic figure- and not in the Frank Miller Dark Knight way, where he romanticizes the most ugliest of things. This Batman isn't cool because of his debilitating trauma, he's sick and pathetic, disgusting, closed off, a real monster in the shadows; who, as one of the guys Kent interviews in Gotham about the Batman says, is get crueler and crueler by the year. [I should say that I'm pretty sure that was a scene only in the extended cut]. This Batman has long resigned to any pretense that he's doing justice and is out on the streets getting revenge on anyone who causes him or others to experience something out of his control. Enter the very unsubtle 9/11 PTSD-triggering situation caused by alien super beings so far out of his league that he's rendered as helpless as that child he's cradling...a replay of the scene where his parents are shot- the children actors are making very similiar faces of fear- but this time Bruce Wayne can do something about it.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon wrote:Personal preference, but if I want to watch a larger than life character in costume being witty, my preference is

OAXX-tr0gzg
The original rap.
It's a lot easier when you are time tested for close to 4oo years. ;)
Indeed.

Which raises an interesting point. How will these costumed superhero films stand the test of time?

Thirty years from now will a few be considered classics or will all be forgotten?
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Alas, I grew up on the Steve Martin version, Roxanne, as it was a staple of cable tv. It veers well into the treacly, like a lot of Steve Martin movies.
Will watch it someday.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Let me ask you SM, growing up, you were the prime age for Marvel, right? The main Spiderman stories, the Fantastic Four, the Hulk....that period where kids were buying more than half a million Marvel comics a week, and DC was all but dead. There is a total different connection.

I should add that reading comic books wasn't something I did as a kid or an adult, unless I was with my mother when she would food shop- I'd sit in the comic book aisle and go through all of them.

So maybe it being different from the source material is just something which doesn't register with me.
I really don't recall DC comics being darker than Marvel comics, but IT WAS 50 FREAKIN YEARS AGO, I WAS STILL IN SINGLE DIGITS! :)

I suspect that you are right, the hey day of Dc was probably in the 19040s & 1950s. I can only intellectualize so much about whether movies I seen today in my late 50's are philosophically and intellectually true to the source material I read when I was 7 years old! :?

Both are consumed in their respective time periods as entertainment and escapism.

Yesterday I googled some pictures of the Legion of Super Heroes (the story line took place in the 30th century) comics. the pictures looked so dated. How could comics from the 30th century looked dated today?

I suspect that comics and movies are like all classic/timeless religious, philosophical, and scientific reference material. What is in the source material, and what the consumer reads/views/interprets can vary tremendously. What one brings to the party may be more important than the party itself.

"I read that same phrase in the Bible 50 years ago, but it didn't say that back then."
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: . . .

I think you're selling Arnold way short. A number of those schlocky movies are really good movies, even if they are B movies. Predator, Running Man, Conan the Barbarian, Twins, Total Recall, the Terminator films...there are more, but there is a real quality to them and a running theme surrounding identity and belonging. Ah-nud, in that sense, was a bit of an auteur choosing some really great ideas to put on film- even if they were dismissed at the time.
. . .
Enjoyed "Total Recall". Arnold was smart in the he knew his limitations and surrounded himself with talented people: directors, actors, etc.
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Au contraire-

ok - ill have to rewatch it one day when the missus is out (she hated it) and see if any of that is apparent to someone who didnt do the supplementary reading.

I cant say so from the disjointed thing i remember seeing.

eisenber as ledger-lite wasnt in the nihilist character motivations, just the performance.

stuttering, twitching creeper instead of the usual aloof "kevin spacey" sinister pervert representation.
Typhoon wrote: Enjoyed "Total Recall". Arnold was smart in the he knew his limitations and surrounded himself with talented people: directors, actors, etc.

total recall is excellent.

Simple Minded wrote:
I suspect that comics and movies are like all classic/timeless religious, philosophical, and scientific reference material. What is in the source material, and what the consumer reads/views/interprets can vary tremendously. What one brings to the party may be more important than the party itself.

"I read that same phrase in the Bible 50 years ago, but it didn't say that back then."
Typhoon wrote: Which raises an interesting point. How will these costumed superhero films stand the test of time?

Thirty years from now will a few be considered classics or will all be forgotten?
as per simple minded - they have already been around 70 odd years.

thor and loki a thousand or more years and its not like most of those old tales had that much more to them - not all were witty or moral fables, some are just action/entertainment.

robin hood is barely above comic book levels of literature and its had a good lifespan.

mindless action comedy will continue for as long as people have [wage] slavery and need to remember for a few moments thats not all there is.
Last edited by noddy on Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

and whilst im riffing on action comedy - how far has it fallen from the days of arnie, bruce willis, mel gibson, eddie murphie etc in the 80's and 90's

i looked at the list post 2000 and can only see a few which are watchable - "tropic thunder" (robert downy charisma strikes again) and the "nice guys" , neither of which are block busters. and expendables 1 (for mr p)

maybe 1 or 2 early guy richie movies should be added to that.

now, we have (X) fast (X) furious abortions or toy advertisements , so yep, this makes marvel the default winner as best toy advertisement.

--------------
speaking of which

just finished watching punisher on netflix - never seen a show so conflicted with itself, it was simultaneously almost good and almost terrible, i still dont know if i liked it.

doing nihilist gun maniac porn during the biggest anti gun sentiment of all time is a task too large for the show runner.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote:and whilst im riffing on action comedy - how far has it fallen from the days of arnie, bruce willis, mel gibson, eddie murphie etc in the 80's and 90's

i looked at the list post 2000 and can only see a few which are watchable - "tropic thunder" (robert downy charisma strikes again) and the "nice guys" , neither of which are block busters. and expendables 1 (for mr p)
Red with Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, and Helen Mirren. Old school reunion.

Stretching the category a bit, the first two Bond films with Daniel Craig, Casino Royale and Quantum of Solace.
noddy wrote: maybe 1 or 2 early guy richie movies should be added to that.
Indeed. Snatch, Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels, and esp Rocknrolla are brilliant.

9AKGT8OZxk4

Ritchie's London underworld is an alternate universe the I can get into.

His two Sherlock Holmes films are entertaining.

Can recommend the underrated The Bank Job with Jason Statham.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Typhoon wrote: Red with Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, and Helen Mirren. Old school reunion.
yes, i forgot that, it was fun
Typhoon wrote: Stretching the category a bit, the first two Bond films with Daniel Craig, Casino Royale and Quantum of Solace.
my tastes cant stretch them into action comedy and I might even struggle to think of them as action (heh)

Typhoon wrote: Indeed. Snatch, Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels, and esp Rocknrolla are brilliant.

9AKGT8OZxk4

Ritchie's London underworld is an alternate universe the I can get into.

His two Sherlock Holmes films are entertaining.
yeh - that first batch had a nice spark to them,however the second sherlock and onwards seem to be heading off into self parody.
Typhoon wrote: Can recommend the underrated The Bank Job with Jason Statham.
never heard of it - thanks.

which reminds me of another i had forgotten - crank.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:

Typhoon wrote: Which raises an interesting point. How will these costumed superhero films stand the test of time?

as per simple minded - they have already been around 70 odd years.
I suspect the actual comics will be remembered longer than the films.
noddy wrote: thor and loki a thousand or more years and its not like most of those old tales had that much more to them - not all were witty or moral fables, some are just action/entertainment.
From what little I know, the Norse gods were, like the gods of ancient Greece, very human.

Which raises an interesting point. Why are Scandinavian countries not whinging about cultural appropriation?
Or rather, why are the US SJWs not taking it upon themselves to whinge on the Scands presumed behalf?
noddy wrote:
noddy wrote:robin hood is barely above comic book levels of literature and its had a good lifespan.

mindless action comedy will continue for as long as people have [wage] slavery and need to remember for a few moments thats not all there is.
All for mindless action comedy as long as it is well done.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Typhoon wrote:
Which raises an interesting point. Why are Scandinavian countries not whinging about cultural appropriation?
Or rather, why are the US SJWs not taking it upon themselves to whinge on the Scands presumed behalf?
Hah, I know the answer to this one: it's not a real culture. Instead, it's a form of spoken violence people who think of themselves as white use to monopolize and subjugate black, yellow and red bodies in institutional and systemic ways.

Come'on, this answer is obvious