Movies + TV series: Past and New Recommendation

A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.
Typhoon

Re: Movies: New Release Recommendations + Scenes from the P

Post by Typhoon »

Watched Deadpool, some amusing wisecracks but was completely underwhelmed.

Lack of an interesting plot, a coherent plot, character development, interesting characters, etc.

The comic book superhero, so-called, genre a.k.a. Men in Tights, does not work for me.
The only exception so far has been Guardians of the Galaxy as a comedy.

https://youtu.be/p-APzEjrklc?t=14m21s

Guess I've gotten old :wink:
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

I've been watching, of all things, a quiz show online.

It is a quiz show, produced by the BBC and hosted by the inimitable Stephen Fry.

It is wonderfully eccentric, as questions are often most difficult, and the the four panelists

1/ receive marks for being interesting, not necessarily correct and

2/ lose marks for giving an answer that is generally believed to be true, but is actually wrong.

To my surprise [and great pleasure] I get most of the jokes [at least I think that I do]:

pElFm4EVYlo

Brilliant stuff.

The 2nd such show that I've ever found interesting.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy,

I recently saw Mad Max, Fury Road.

makes me appreciate your people even more.

the people who built those vehicles must have had the time of their lives!!!

Hmmmm.... possible starting points:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-Military-5 ... 1890729906

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MRAP-Military-V ... 2057715793

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Chevrolet- ... 1895394825

what do you recommend?
noddy

Post by noddy »

some criticized that show for not being about mad max.

the real tragedy was the lack of Pursuit Special or Interceptor, max's iconic muscle car.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=1973 ... ord+Falcon

that particular model was famous in australia before mad max as it was the last of the GT HO overpowered street cars that the government told ford to stop making, for being way too dangerous.

by modern standards they had lots of motor and hardly any breaks or suspension - all go, no slow :)
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:some criticized that show for not being about mad max.

the real tragedy was the lack of Pursuit Special or Interceptor, max's iconic muscle car.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=1973 ... ord+Falcon

that particular model was famous in australia before mad max as it was the last of the GT HO overpowered street cars that the government told ford to stop making, for being way too dangerous.

by modern standards they had lots of motor and hardly any breaks or suspension - all go, no slow :)
The good ole days of the Muscle Car era! I don't recall the Mad Max model ever being sold in the US. the closest model would have been a Gran Torino. My oldest brother still has a 69 Mach 1 Mustang he bought in 1972.

always interesting to try to see how filmmakers attempt to repackage cult movies that are more than a generation past to the young'uns.

the new Mad Max was an interesting mix of proselytizing on environment, humanity (or lack thereof), religion, mob behavior, fear of outsiders, etc.

me thinketh these attempts are revealing of how marketeers view their target herds.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

As part of my lifelong self-improvmint program, I've made April 2016 Strine cultural appreciation month:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTExiWzvJlo

best with subtitles....
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

NApJNjPTqZs
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

I have not watched The Man from Earth in a couple years. I think I will remedy that in the next week or so.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... eo%20clips

Interesting low budget flick about watching some intellectuals try to come to grips with data that does not confirm their chosen bias/area of expertise. good movie.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Xa2OCI_M4zo
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote:I have not watched The Man from Earth in a couple years. I think I will remedy that in the next week or so.

Interesting low budget flick about watching some intellectuals try to come to grips with data that does not confirm their chosen bias/area of expertise. good movie.

reviews look interesting, ill have to see if i can find it.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:I have not watched The Man from Earth in a couple years. I think I will remedy that in the next week or so.

reviews look interesting, ill have to see if i can find it.
Just watched it again last night. Maybe the fourth time in 8 or 10 years. Excellent presentation of people struggling to deal with data that lies outside their chosen comfort zone. Since the "experts" have the most to lose, they need to try the hardest. Cause it would suck not being an expert anymore.... :(

i would suggest trying the evil free market. That is where "they" keep all the good shite!
noddy

Post by noddy »

the even free-er and evil-er bittorrent market has provided :) will watch on the weekend.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:the even free-er and evil-er bittorrent market has provided :) will watch on the weekend.
Be careful out there is cyberspace. Nothing makes people more discontented and bitter than having instantaneous access to whatever whim enters what used to be their minds.

Who is Max Headroom?
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

1EevEHh58B0
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

50-fWCXvhAY
Deep down I'm very superficial
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Cute movie. Really enjoyed it. Vanity, mortality, communication gaps. All the good stuff.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5023260/
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

I enjoyed it. Nice mixture of 1984 with the yute dream that "We can solve all of society's problems if we can monitor everyone at all times."

High tech society "We" becomes religious cult.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCOXARv6J9k
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Just saw "The Admiral " on Netflix. Good costume drama about 17C Netherland naval conflict w/England.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

I've been watching the Icelandic detective series "Trapped".

Very well done.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:Just saw "The Admiral " on Netflix. Good costume drama about 17C Netherland naval conflict w/England.
Seconded, this was very well done.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

H9U-rhVp1CQ
Deep down I'm very superficial
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Twin Peaks-- I am not much of a David Lynch fan but,

[ spoilers ahead, do not read ahead if you intend to watch the final season at some point]
>

Twin Peaks ended up being some sort of retelling/deconstruction/commentary upon Alfred Hitchcock's Notorious. 50 hours (or however long the series as a whole is) of incorporating the source material, its cultural significance and its artistic significance to Hitchcock's career as an analogy to Lynch's own. And in Season 3, Lynch really hits you over the head with the connections...which makes it kind of funny that the general internet milieu is so caught up in interpreting it through the Mulholland Drive lens-- which inadvertently has ended up more important as its timing coincided more with the rise of the social media internet (and obsessively revising the pop culture they grew up with) than Twin Peaks. That same audience is primed to use Buzzfeed as a cypher and not film history.

It's obvious that this was not the original intention of the show and I bet you can point to the exact moment of the shift in the material. I take Mr.Lynch at his word when he says the original intention was to use the death of teenage prom queen as more of a table-setter and that went out the window as it became the primary draw for an ever impatient (wide) audience not to keen on any of the other threads. So he gives you what you want--if that's what you want-- and wraps it all together in a clever way. If you like Lynch you'll like it, if you don't you won't....
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Twin Peaks premiered when I was living in the Midwest, so I didn't have to wait what always seems like forever to see it.

It has my interest until Laura Palmer's murder was solved. After that, for me, the thread was lost.
I vaguely recall reading that the business types pressured Lynch to do so, but can't confirm.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

A friend of mine was in Toronto covering TIFF.

Told me about this premiere. Looks interesting.

2FTxKFsWz60