Computer Games

A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Re: Computer Games

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

noddy wrote: switch sounds great, look foward to your impressions once its up and running properly.
I think I've put in enough time to give an impression now.

I really like the machine, even as its pretty obvious where they cut corners to make it as cheap as possible.

The plastic is cheap but much better than what came with the Wii U; the built in screen is plastic instead of glass; the dock doesn't have anything inside to actually prevent scratching the screen. I won't mention the custom chips because that's been hashed over a thousand times already and you aren't getting anywhere near top line power. I think the whole thing clocks in as more powerful as the Wii U but still well short of the PS4 and XboxOne.

Aesthetically, it is head and shoulders above the Wii U which looked like a Fisher-Price design. Games look great on the screen and the little kickstand it comes with has made it easy to set it down wherever and have people wander in and out of playing a game here or there.

As for controllers, I discussed this with my brother, as he has longer fingers than me while I have the wider hand. And we both came to pretty much the same conclusions though our problems were slightly different. The joycons are a bit too small for a grown man's hands, especially when you flip a single joycon on its side for on-the-go multiplayer but not enough to cause discomfort or cramping or a missed button or two.

We both really like the controllers- both the Pro-Controller and the joycons. We both found them comfortable once we figured out how to hold them to mitigate the size issue. It is really minor compared to, say, the original 3ds systems. And at no times have our hands cramped or become sore from use. They did a good job in finding a size-for-all, all these considered.

He hasn't been too impressed with the ballyhooed "HD rumble" while I've found it interesting but so far not very utilized.

The battery life is a good 20 hours, give or take, charges rather well.

The one problem has been the weak signal between the joycon controllers and the system, even after the last update which supposedly was meant to address this.

For example, if I sit on my family room couch or loveseat and put my feet up on the ottoman, I tend to lose any signal from the left joycon mid-game. Now, that makes no sense (because why would a foot interfere with a wi-fi signal) but its been my experience. What I've ended up doing is either moving the furniture a bit forward, or just sitting on the ottoman when I'm not using the pro-controller and it tends to clear up any trouble.

Again, my brother was having a similiar problem and according to him, it's due to the a combination of how everything was packed together to fit in the small joycons and something about the alkalinity of a person's hands near the area where the metal lock* is on the joycon holder being near to where it is broadcasting its signal.

there are two little strips of metal on the inside of the holder pictured above to securely lock the joycons in place.
NapLajoieonSteroids

As for the games, I have tried thus far:

Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Bomberman Switch
1,2 Switch
Snipperclips
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Splatoon 2
Arms and Disgaea 5 demos

I'll start with the games I've tried for half an hour or so:

I tried Snipperclips for ten minutes, so I don't have an opinion. My brother enjoyed it but found it too short and ultimately not worth the ten bucks he spent on it.

Same thing goes for 1,2 Switch. He brought it over and we opened it up. The minute it booted he looked at me and said, "biggest waste of 50 dollars." And he proceeded to leave it here, so I've got it collecting dust and unfortunately won't get anything for selling it as I understand people flooded the market with used copies shortly after release.

It is offensively bad. I guess they thought they'd get a party game out there but it is a tech demo that is so under-developed and stupid, I wonder who thought this was a good idea. It comes with 30 mini-games, a few which are repeated with very minor changes, and maybe 3 or 4 of them are "fun" in a party setting.

I have put it on for a group of people and it killed the party atmosphere- it's the anti-Wii Sports in that regard. And it is so obviously a tech demo, I wonder why they just didn't package it in with the system as it probably would've saved them money instead of shipping it out to die on store shelves.
My brother and I were both disappointed to say that least.

Splatoon 2 and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe -- both were belated birthday gifts from the same aforementioned brother, and neither I envision spending a whole lot of leisure time on.

Mario Kart 8 is great but a drag to have to unlock everything just because its a new system. And if you've owned the Wii U version, I'd say skip it unless you are that into Mario Kart or you're like me and are always interested in having great local multiplayer games around for guests. The port controls fine but I don't think it controls as well as it did on the original system- feels very slightly off to me, and clearly wasn't made for the new controllers.

Splatoon 2 just released and it was a matter of that or Arms for a game I'll essentially be playing against my brother; otherwise I haven't tried it out yet. The Arms Demo was fine but I couldn't see myself sitting down and wanting to play it at any point. If one has little kids and the system though, I'd probably recommend it.

Finally, Disgaea 5: I downloaded the demo as I heard it was a Tactical role-playing game, which I love, and it led right with this dumb story and very anime presentation. I immediately turned it off. Looking at reviewers I trust, lots of negatives on the story but lots of positives on how deep the gameplay gets. Almost everything about it can be manipulated stat-wise.

I could live with a mediocre or terrible narrative and the anime stuff; but not when its so dialogue heavy and you need to pay attention to learn all the mechanics of the game.
NapLajoieonSteroids

For the rest:

Bomberman Switch is an awesome multiplayer game with a very mediocre single player attached to it. The "story" of the single player is grating, and the game doesn't control as tightly in single player as it should. Still, it's a new Bomberman and the value of its local multiplayer is huge as far as I'm concerned; so its been worth it. There wouldn't be any desire to go through the single player story again if not for the fact that it accumulate in game currency for more multiplayer maps.

Puyo Puyo Tetris: I went out and bought after reading lots of positive reviews and I have to agree with them, this is a high quality game. It sounds kind of funny because Tetris you can find anywhere, but the controls are great; it comes with loads of modes, it plays well in single player, multiplayer, on the tv, hand-held or tabletop; the mixture of Puyo Puyo with Tetris is really interestingand the games can get pretty intense....

The one negative is the dumb story attached in the adventure mode; something about Tetris kids from outerspace and Earth kids are Puyo Puyo experts or something; but its easily skippable and the adventure mode itself is a nice challenge. I'm stuck somewhere in the latter levels where its actually giving me a bit of trouble keeping up with the AI on some level where you have to play Tetris/Puyo Puyo simultaneously.
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: did you happen to finish up on that retro-gaming box you were making?
the rpi thing was done and dusted however my custom joystick for it is waiting on time and motivation - i have a dastardly plan involving IMU's with multiple analog and digital interfaces.

the other other project is the full retro console based on custom microcontrollers - its together on a hardware level but i have yet to really commit to the custom operating system for it.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:
I think I've put in enough time to give an impression now.
thanks for that.

in regards the custom chip - the nvidia tegra variation they use - its absurd to compare it to a mains powered x86 and the people that do so are missing the point completely.

try running an x86 on batteries and you realise how much grunt per watt these suckers have.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Well, I think its a lot of nonsense considering the context.

I'll always be a Gunpei Yokoi guy- "Lateral thinking with withered technology". Let's see what you can MacGuyver together with X limitations.....

sad thing about our everything is software/virtual/robot age are there are less and less things to jerryrig at the consumer level. :)
noddy

Post by noddy »

I see they have ported doom 2016 to the switch now, which is kind of neat - it got a bit repetitive if you didnt keep the difficulty levels up but was a pleasant enough old school bullet-hell experience against the morbidly boring corridor shooters everyone else was doing.

the jerryrigging is getting more difficult now which is a shame but its our lazyness as consumers which makes it real - most folks are not rewarding those that do make the effort to keep their gear hackable, instead they consider lack of hackability a feature.

i prefer not to think about it.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Doom 2016 is great- I bought that for my brother last Christmas and watched him struggle through it. :D

The gap between us is wide enough that I remember how 90s first person shooters went and he doesn't. He was totally out of his element without the corridors.

Which is why I think I'll be passing on the Switch version. Too expensive for me to go out and buy a copy of a game I can borrow at anytime.

But I gotta say I'm very tempted. First, it'll be on cartridge; which I fully support. Second, it passes my quality/worth checking out criteria. Finally, and to a much smaller extent: Major 3rd party games on a modern Nintendo console can be like exotic butterflies. If you don't buy them, there is no guarantee that the sequel will be available. I'd be very much interested in a Doom II on the Switch.
NapLajoieonSteroids

It's kind of like Super Street Fighter II: Hyper Championship, this is the last Street Fighter II, we're serious! Edition.

I loved that game. I heard it controls surprisingly well on the joycons. But I cannot justify spending 40 dollars on a 25 year old game (and some crappy five minute long mode they tacked on trying to justify that price.)

30 is my limit for that sort of self-indulgence.

Even that sounds too high when I factor in: not having time to get good at Street Fighter again, not seeing that being a popular choice around family and friends, and probably never being good enough to compete with the fanatics who make up the online community.
noddy

Post by noddy »

yah - i only buy games that have fallen into the bargain bin, rarely at full price, i got doom when it was on sale.

i even paid money for quake champions early access, which i somewhat have remorse for but it was only $30 - that was pure nostalgia for me as i consider quake1 the greatest immersion that has ever happend and have patiently waited for another game to have ultra fast air movement instead of sluggish swimming in oil movement.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Kind of hard to do when Nintendo (or Nintendo of America) is anti-bargain bin.

Years from now, near the end of the console, we'll finally the "millions-seller" discounts where they'll repackage Mario or Zelda (maybe) for 20-30 bucks....

It's like being an Apple-sucker- total lifestyle for a fool!
NapLajoieonSteroids

Best bargain bin pick up ever? Skyrim on PS3 for $2.50. Never played a Marrowind game before.

That was great until it crashed.
noddy

Post by noddy »

i also got skyrim on ps3 from the bargain bin - $10 for me.

i didnt last long playing it

- the huge loading times between world/town/room made going to towns and doing stuff so tedious i couldnt be arsed doing all the tedious stuff you are meant to do in these games.
- the grind to level up in yet-another-cave-of-the-same-crap in a combat system which was not fun meant i couldnt keep the story going

ive never been much of an rpg person tho many of my friends are so i did want to play it and see.

fallout ditto, tho i did last longer - rage was the version of that i actually didnt mind, barring it was way too short and the ending was truly awful.

since becoming a wage slave adult my gaming time is quite limited - a few stolen hours a week - i tend to stick to the things that are easy to learn, hard to play - like puzzle games or 90's shooters.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:Kind of hard to do when Nintendo (or Nintendo of America) is anti-bargain bin.

Years from now, near the end of the console, we'll finally the "millions-seller" discounts where they'll repackage Mario or Zelda (maybe) for 20-30 bucks....

It's like being an Apple-sucker- total lifestyle for a fool!
:)

my household will always remain apple free, i just cant even.

in theory id get a nintendo but in practice using my coding machine (gaming laptop) and steam/gog/humblebundle (ultra bargain bins) are a very low commitment to a very large amount of gaming.

the ps3 was good for me at the time because i didnt have a smart tv and i wanted the bluray and digital tv features, i have no interest in a ps4 because between chromecast and the smart tv, thats all obsolete to me now.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Fallout...4....I think....

I go in to a game shop for something and the guy behind the desk tried to hard sell me this game.

His pitch was that he was 200 hours in, and hadn't even started the main quest- he was doing some fort building or whatever the mode is in that game....

anyway, he told me he didn't understand my question when I asked him "why is that fun?" and, "why not just play Minecraft if you are that into building things?"

It was like I was speaking to an alien.

I'm with you in the main on RPGs....Western modern Japanese RPGs particularly....because they become hundreds of house of grinding through terribly written stories and dull, brown, whatever backgrounds....and a number of them think it cute to limit your choices in one way or another (overtly or covertly). That's before you get to the problem of bloat and how un-fun some of them turn out to be for reply purposes. It's like a whole genre of frustrated screenwriters/adventure game players.

What I liked about Skyrim (besides the price which helped things along) can be summed up as

After the start the game, when I had no clue what was going on (as a warrior character) I accidentally stumbled onto a magician's college- applied -was given a room and became a half magician/half warrior. More than half the time, I remained clueless, and the game let me do what I wanted to do. And while no doubt cheesy, a lot of care was taken to craft all that dialogue and mythos....I started a mini-library of the books I had come across just so I could read them at a later date.

I purposely avoided as much grinding as possible and wasn't intending to explore every nook and cranny and what I was left with was a nice little adventure of my own choosing where I felt I was in a world and not gaming the computing (at least as far as I got).

You are right- the loading was awful, a lot of it was copy&paste sameness, the combat was bad and the game buggy (I heard the PS version was the buggiest of them all). For those reasons, I never restarted the game once the crash wiped my data. But it was a good first step, in my opinion, of the type of freedom and world building more RPGs should embrace. If the coding was better, I'd probably have played through a 50 to 80

I don't know about the Fallout series, maybe it's great on all those front- but once I start hearing 200+ hours for one playthrough....it sort of turns me off from testing it.
NapLajoieonSteroids

There was one game I left out of reviewing and that was Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

I have not finished it due to time constraints. But it is indeed a masterpiece and one of those games which make the system worth purchasing.

My intention hasn't been to 100% it, still isn't. Yet I find myself, time and again, setting out to complete some objective, look at the horizon, see something interesting, telling myself I'll just check it out quickly and be on my way...getting there doing X,Y and Z then seeing something else in the distance and, and, and....

finding myself on the other side of the map, with 10 different objectives added to the list besides the one I had my eye on.

It's the first game in a long time, since maybe the NES era/earlier computer adventure games where people I meet in real life are excited to talk about different little bits of a game and how they got through it. "Oh, you went went to X and you see something mysterious; well, I found Y over to the east and..."
There is also the freedom the physics and logic puzzles afford. For example, an objective very early in the game which I've heard 4 different first-hand accounts of how they solved it.

It all adds up to give one of the best current examples of player freedom I've ever seen in an open-world game. It takes a lot longer than the average one before you start seeing all the seams of the different modules used to make the game. And contrary the moaning of a lot of weirdos on the internet, the weapon-breaking system (everything but the Master Sword breaks after so many uses, that "powers down" for a set number of minutes) is one of the most fun aspects of the game and helps to keep things interesting for a while.

That isn't to say its perfect, but the game does almost everything well and maybe what is most well done are the extra attention to details which are often overlooked in these sort of sprawling games. It is the best Zelda game since, and an actual Arcade/RPG successor to, the 2 NES games and maybe the first few Game Boy ones. It's like they almost dumped all the crappy text adventure stuff they had been accumulating since the third game; which has been really weighing the series down.

Now, what they do underwhelming:

-like all these games I suppose, there does come a point where you are sufficiently powered and then overpowered for most of the enemies. Depending on your skill level that can come early in the normal mode....

-...and the hard mode will cost you an extra 20 bucks in the DLC. Now, I did purchase that- because the game is that fun, I had the money to spare, and I foresee multiple play-throughs of this game, making it worth it. Nintendo is really nickel+diming this thing for all its worth. 120+ dollars for the ultra special edition, 15 dollars a piece for 8+ figurines to unlock all the items, the twenty dollars for the dlc- that so far isn't worth it (the second part of the dlc hasn't been revealed as far as I know) unless you are totally invested in the game. The DLC is pretty much how much I myself will indulge but I would advise against it. And it is all these micro-transaction-type behavior that everyone else but Nintendo is called out for. It's not right and will be remembered going forward.

-things which to me are more nitpick-y could drive others up a wall: instead of tradition dungeons there are 120 shrines: something like 100 puzzles and 20 fights....all of them take place in the same level design scheme, even some of them are copy and paste jobs, some puzzles are repeated and all the fights are against the same enemy type....they are short enough that I don't find them repetitive (like Skyrim) but some do.

-The actual dungeons are one big puzzle with a boss fight at the end. Hardly any enemies or danger....something may change going forward but I've done three of the five in total (counting the final castle) and it's sort of underwhelming. One of the boss fights is so easy (due to a certain mechanic they were afraid players wouldn't understand) that it is embarrassing the kill the thing as it doesn't even bother attacking you and barely moves. I do not know how they released it in that state or why there aren't more complaints about it.

-There are certain things you can collect which will turn it into a never ending collect-a-thon. To me, this is not a game for an obsessive completionist and designed to discourage that sort of playing; playing it like that would make the game awful. The way it is designed makes it seem perfect for actual role playing and multiple play-throughs. The important things can be gathered in one play-through, so it isn't like Skyrim, as that's been mentioned, where each time through you have to play as a different character/class to be able to get the majority of the game. Depending on the person, this could be disappointing.

-It's still an open world/sandbox type game. So it can become tedious, after a while you figure out how to game the system if you want....that it suspends that longer than most doesn't mean they've completely solved this type of game.

-The non-playable characters and their dialogue are still as lame as ever. This may be a translation thing but Zelda and words are not a strong suit. (The English voice acting stinks). At the same time, they've cut the necessity of sitting through most of it out; and really cut down on wasting players time and taking control from the player. So it isn't bothering me much but your mileage will vary.
noddy

Post by noddy »

you are right the size and scope of the bethesda romps (fallout/skyrim) is excellent and deserving of the praise as you do get a whole lot of content for your dollar and you do somewhat get to play your own game within the core thread.

i personally dont find the story good enough to deal with the half arsedness of the mechanics but thats me being time poor as much as anything - i think you once mentioned being bored of the gibberish high fantasy names for everything and i just glaze over and lose track of it all when too many of those are in play :)

Ive heard nothing but good things about zelda, atleast until you get overpowered and ontop of it all.

speaking of open worlds i must say that red dead redemption is my favourite of those so far despite being a 3rd person shooter (my least favourite thing) as it just seemed to nail every damn thing perfectly.

the open desert and small towns hides the limitation of these things so well - you dont have endless houses with welded shut windows and doors, you dont have so many useless NPC's actiing like barynyard chickens, everything in the game can be part of the game and the wildwest is a natural setting for lawless chaos behaviour.

Ive also been playing a bit of just cause 3, another recent bargain bin from steam but i suspect its not going to get finished as the sameness has become a grind - the cartoon physics destruction can only be amusing for so long.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

You're right about the names and the story was subpar. I wouldn't have felt so lost if I knew any of the names of people were tossing around about characters and locations. As for the story- something about a Republic and Empire and dragons- who cares? In Trumpian terms, when these people send us their storytellers, they're not sending us their best.

As I remember it though, the dialogue, which was still that high fantasy stilted style, was a lot better than the usual video game quality. It wasn't good but characters had motivations, were ambivalent about certain things...actually felt placed in a fantasy world and didn't read to me like a lot of this stuff does, fan fiction of high fantasy....which may be the pathetic type of writing in existence.

I dunno. High fantasy is such a difficult genre to write and most of the people who go into it, shouldn't have. In a video game, it actually benefits them that they can get a point, theme, whatever across visually and let the player fill in the blanks. Problem with that is that the higher budget, sprawling, "next gen", these games get, the most it seems the pressure is to write and more and more.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Point in the Doom column:

Bethesda says that the Doom cartridge will have the full single player game and the after-purchases update will only be the online multi-player segment.

Great pro-consumer move considering how often it is the opposite, and you have to download the single player and the whole disc will be obsolete in 10 years.
noddy

Post by noddy »

i couldnt believe that when they had a a game which is pretty much single player action game of the year, all the DLC and secondary content was for a bland multiplayer that noone played.

in the grand list of very confusing business decisions that one is near the top.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

I'll go the opposite tack and say it's great they decided not to bloat the experience.

There is a particular video game blogger I check in with from time to time who jokingly suggests he'd pay for anti-dlc, where they'll remove features and items to clean up the bloat.

The other one I get a kick out of his is his maxim, "hi-scores are for winners; achievements and collect-a-thons are for loser". Very to the point and generally related to the anti-dlc rantings.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Other random games from the past:

On the art-y/narrative-driven/puzzle side of things: Image

...but not the more vaunted Shadow of the Colossus....

Ico is, by my estimation, the greater game and the one worth checking out.

Shadows of the Colossus is an epic action/adventure-puzzler with great boss and vista designs in a minimalist style; overall, it is quite cleverly crafted. Cleverness isn't great by itself though. The controls are clunky [Ico's control don't fare much better] and hamper the experience, especially since it is more action/adventure oriented. The pacing is off, the emptiness of the world is dull (again: no matter how clever it plays into ludo-narrative), and I never found an incentive to go on and finish it.

It's about a 20 year old game now, so I don't think I am spoiling anything by saying that there are essentially 16 boss fights in a row to get to the end. And for me, it played like it needed another number...I got to about 11 before giving in.

Ico, on the other hand is a much more elegant, tighter affair. Taking place entirely in the castle of a witch-queen; it's a great time going from puzzle to puzzle (even if the controls make combat a chore).
noddy

Post by noddy »

DLC is like books broken up into multiple releases - it works when the universe/game is so good you actually did want more of it, it mostly doesnt work because the magority of things arent that good, so its a cynical cash grab.

ICO leaps out at me due to the cover art - its one of the few art styles that really speaks to me and my favourite australian artist was heavily influenced by it

ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Who is the artist?

-------------------------------------

you're right, it works fine in those scenarios where the game is good and/or takes to expansion well.

I still say more games should be focusing on making the sequel better.

What I don't know, as I'm out of the loop, is the modding community on PC for Doom.

Doom=modding&customization.

Maybe I've missed it but I'm surprised to have not heard anything or seen Id release tools for it.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Here is another one that is mostly puzzle driven adventure/storytelling done pretty well.

You play as the two brothers (simultaneously) who, after losing their mother, set out to the tree of life to retrieve a potion to prevent their father dying from his illness.