Computer Games

A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.
noddy

Re: Computer Games

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:Who is the artist?

-------------------------------------

you're right, it works fine in those scenarios where the game is good and/or takes to expansion well.

I still say more games should be focusing on making the sequel better.

What I don't know, as I'm out of the loop, is the modding community on PC for Doom.

Doom=modding&customization.

Maybe I've missed it but I'm surprised to have not heard anything or seen Id release tools for it.
Russel Drysdale : https://www.artgallery.nsw.gov.au/colle ... le-russell

---

snapmap : https://www.reddit.com/r/snapmap/

its not a full moddable in the amazing way og doom or quake 1 are because the new maya mapping and mega texturing requirements are no longer hobby friendly but they provide a massive collection of prebuilt rooms and corridors in every possible shape, lots of scenery and monster dropins and a quite powerful scripting system to automate and customise behaviours and movements.

mostly used to re-create the best of the old doom/quake games but apparently some people have got quite advnaced with it.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/0 ... -snapmaps/
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

WgbIJSExVFU

I wasn't as positive on this as most of the reviews I've come across have been.

The plot is that you are a protagonist who the evil MoonBearPig king cuts the head off of with his magic scissors (IIRC) and through a series of fortunate events, you get ahold of the scissors and start collecting different heads, which can give you special powers or access to other things.

About halfway through, the girlfriend who brought it over turned to me and said, "let's play Mario instead."

All the mechanics were sort of half-finished. Most often the heads act as keys to reach special areas or bypass certain bosses and boss-like enemies. You can jump but it is floaty. You can cut things out from the background with the scissors but its only when the game needs to advance the plot.... The stage setting is a real neat trick and the voice acting wonderfully over the top but as the levels get longer, it starts to become a chore.
NapLajoieonSteroids

3d Dot Heroes

1jlXKEn7tGI

This is an homage from Atlas/From Software to the original Legend of Zelda and early DragonQuest/DragonWarrior (don't know which is the name used in the US and which used overseas).

This game is almost great. It is done in by mediocre controls and the map being limited by the 2d in 3d style of the game. The whole story is the standard Hero has to stave kingdom from darkness by defeating several temples and collecting the prizes.

Not much else to add, it's a breezy take on the first Zelda with voxels.
NapLajoieonSteroids

PgQcNGjrk_0

Snagged one of these for a gift.

Years ago, we collected a bunch of roms and emulator and tried to teach someone how to use it. Unfortunately, it was a bit too much and so went unused.

With this: a simple on/off switch, very simple directions to access savestates all while using an snes controller, this should work.

Now the challenge is to figure out how to softmod it to be an action/rpg machine.

Yeah, that's not that hard in itself- the program out there is extremely simple to use and already covers 75% of the SNES catalog- the problem is most of the types of games I'm looking at are apart of that 25% which don't emulate well on the machine...like Illusions of Gaia and Secrets of Evermore and Chrono Trigger....[looking around, seems as if someone came up with a patch for Illusions of Gaia, so I'll have to track that down.]

So the current solution is to run a 2nd emulator on the machine to cover those. But it looks like it defeats the purpose and puts us back at square one in terms of ease of use for an older person.
Last edited by NapLajoieonSteroids on Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Gotta figure out which romhacks are compatible as well.

I'd very much like to put this on there.

f3fpyolSXLI

It's one of the Japanese exclusive Broadcast Satellite Zelda's which obsessives have painstakingly reassembled from almost nothing.

Looking into it, the Ancient Stone Tablets one just won't work as it's split into four parts and no one has jerryrigged them together.

But I found this website which has the recreated BS Zelda Quests; as well as a specially made "Third" and "Fourth" Quests, which gets rid of the time limit and plays like the original with additional map changes.
noddy

Post by noddy »

good luck with it.

i would doubt adding the second emulator would make for a pleasant experience - unless you could find some config that taught the frontend how to drive it.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

oh, that's not too hard from my end. The program created to hack the mini sets that up for it- you just drag and drop the second emulator into the program and add an extension to any game you will you using it on. Retroarch is the recommended emulator though I've read comments where people have used other programs.

The tough part is on the user end, as Retroarch is has its own text menu...and a text menu is a big 'X" for my purposes here.
noddy

Post by noddy »

i was under the impression it had several gui frontends now, i may be mistaken.

emulationstation wraps them all up nice and text menu free ?

ill know for sure soon when i revisit this during my soon to be unemployed downtime.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Super Mario Odyssey

wGQHQc_3ycE

I'd recommend it. It is just enjoyable to play through, feels great, and moves quickly. That being said, it's like a bowl of ice cream, fun to have but never becomes something more than that. The 1000 stars you can collect probably isn't a fun time but the game gives players a bit of freedom to set their own goals and to figure out when they've had enough. And so in that sense it has lots of replay value. Which, in my book, puts it up with Mario 64 and Mario Land 3d as the only 3d Marios worth trying out.
Last edited by NapLajoieonSteroids on Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote:i was under the impression it had several gui frontends now, i may be mistaken.

emulationstation wraps them all up nice and text menu free ?

ill know for sure soon when i revisit this during my soon to be unemployed downtime.
no I was mistaken and making mountains out of molehills, psyching myself out. I got everything up and running as smoothly as possible. Even some of the questionable framerate games didn't seem to be a problem on my end. So fingers crossed, it works when I finally hand it over.
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

I rarely play games (except occasionally on emulators) these days but as a lifelong Sonic fan, I absolutely had to pick up Sonic Mania. Overall, a lot of nostalgic fun. The remixed levels are actually quite good but I disliked most of the new zones, especially Press Garden and the awful final zone.

6lhm7ZvAw68

I also recently snagged a Model 1 Sega Genesis with original box on eBay and had a play-through of the original Sonic The Hedgehog. Every bit as fun as the day I first saw it and not just because of nostalgia. The smooth, momentum-based gameplay was simply brilliant and has aged very well.

v-0eYNZ1pL0

A fascinating and very well-done video was posted a few months back analyzing Sonic's aesthetic (which has also aged pretty well, IMHO). Well worth watching!

hY740NlQLmA
noddy

Post by noddy »

ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote:Image
I must be playing on the easiest difficulty because that is 100% bewildering
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

https://www.google.com/doodles/celebrat ... ids-coding
Today, during Computer Science Education Week, we celebrate 50 years since kids programming languages were first introduced to the world with a very special creation (and furry friend): our first ever kids focused coding Google Doodle! Today’s Doodle was developed through the close teamwork of not one or two but THREE teams: the Google Doodle team, Google Blockly team, and researchers from MIT Scratch!
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:
just a symptom of your inherit privilege overlayed with toxic masculinity leaving you blind to the horrors implied by the word normal.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:https://www.google.com/doodles/celebrat ... ids-coding
Today, during Computer Science Education Week, we celebrate 50 years since kids programming languages were first introduced to the world with a very special creation (and furry friend): our first ever kids focused coding Google Doodle! Today’s Doodle was developed through the close teamwork of not one or two but THREE teams: the Google Doodle team, Google Blockly team, and researchers from MIT Scratch!
never been sure if i approve of the simplified clicky programming - its not actually any easier.

we dont teach children baby talk.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote:
just a symptom of your inherit privilege overlayed with toxic masculinity leaving you blind to the horrors implied by the word normal.
Understood, and I'll internalize my guilt and externalize my shame once the right self-criticizing video game comes out.
NapLajoieonSteroids

MmjklOhBLOU

I have not tried this one out but its supposed to be Quake-clone mixed with roguelike gameplay.
noddy

Post by noddy »

noddy wrote:
Understood, and I'll internalize my guilt and externalize my shame once the right self-criticizing video game comes out.
sounds like an opening in the market.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:MmjklOhBLOU

I have not tried this one out but its supposed to be Quake-clone mixed with roguelike gameplay.
got it with my humble bundle this month, was eager to try it as quake 1 is my definition of how a relaxing splatathon should be done.

played strafe 3 times, hated it, very unlikely to pick it up again.

* rogue like means random levels, means lavender layouts with no care on placements of weapons, enemies and pickups - no balance.

* very few health pickups and enemies which run straight at you means backward corridor funneling as the only method of survival
because its too risky to take on damage in open battle - no strafing.

* extremely cluttered "faux retro" graphics with almost zero distinction between pickup types , shrapnel and general enviro clutter
makes managing the room and choosing your moments impossible - no tactics.

the movement is kinda fast and fun and some aspects of the art style are vaguely cool but finding a new map pack for quake 1 has more enjoyment in it.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

speaking of quake - the new quake champions is largely dead now, they stuffed up every aspect they could stuff up and its currently got less than ~100 players world wide when ive tried to play - I really regret throwing money at an always online loot box infected POS, live and learn.

which brings me to loot boxes and the wonderful stink they have created over the last few months, its really going to be interesting to see how AAA gaming evolves.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

These loot-gambling things are a horrible idea which will only grow now that the two biggest video game companies are diving in. They'll get some sort of prohibitory slap on the wrist, where they can only be in games 18&up, but that isn't going to stop them. For my part, I'm not going to purchase these games for myself or others as long as I can hold out.

The Star Wars game is an obvious nickle&dime'ing around a license agreement they over-payed for.

...and these triple AAA games in general, are not 60 dollars anymore. Could some of these get away with raising the price by 5 or 10 dollars just to slow these practices? Maybe- or in others words, no. Everyone likes that cellphone pay to play model where a bunch of white whales finance the whole thing.
noddy

Post by noddy »

the price of AAA devel is the excuse offered however if that means 100 up front and more appearing via DLC its all plain and obvious to the consumer what they are getting in for.

the blurry line is of course spread from DLC -> cosmetic loot -> pay to win loot and its the latter which is the hidden time bomb for parents at christmas time, the first two are atleast apparent up front.

the whales get harpooned just fine off cosmetic loot without directly entrapping struggling parents in surprise bills
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote:the price of AAA devel is the excuse offered however if that means 100 up front and more appearing via DLC its all plain and obvious to the consumer what they are getting in for.

the blurry line is of course spread from DLC -> cosmetic loot -> pay to win loot and its the latter which is the hidden time bomb for parents at christmas time, the first two are atleast apparent up front.

the whales get harpooned just fine off cosmetic loot without directly entrapping struggling parents in surprise bills
I suppose you're right. I'm quickly becoming a cranky old man who doesn't have time to figure out how the dlc works from game to game. Sometimes it's just cosmetic, sometimes it (still) works like an old-school expansion pack, sometimes you need the dlc to win or unlock half of the game....and of course, if you wait a few years, the HD, 3d, VR, Rumble version with zombies will be in a local bargain bin. :)

The funniest part of the EA Star Wars Jabba the Hutt-like tactics is that there is the initial outrage, EA then insults people by insincerely claiming the big character is only unlockable by an obscene amount of time because they don't want anyone to feel badly for not being skilled enough to unlock it quickly- ensuring more rabble.

Then EA, in its generosity knocks the price down for all the characters by 75%....without telling anyone they are also knocking down the reward bonus/money you get by 75%.

Who, in a sea of executives, thought the audience was too dumb to realize that? :)
NapLajoieonSteroids

thanks for the heads up on Strife....

I had my eye on that as a Christmas gift, so I can cross it off.

I'm having the toughest time finding games that really pop out and seem to be worth a go according to everyone's tastes and inclinations.

Last year it was Doom, Stardew Valley, and the SteamWorld games which were great hits with the people I have in mind. And as a professional cheapstake, they were all relatively budget-able to boot- so extra frugal points and smart shopping.
Last edited by NapLajoieonSteroids on Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
noddy

Post by noddy »

DLC with half the game is bad but it still only takes a review or 2 to make it apparent and the costs are upfront.

star wars type "pay to win" loot boxes are especially insidious because unlike regular dlc, they are only a chance to win dlc!

you might get the super powerful character with better weapons and bigger healthstack or you might get a new icon for the menu.
'
if the RNG gods arent on your side you can spend hundreds on nothing.
The funniest part of the EA Star Wars Jabba the Hutt-like tactics is that there is the initial outrage, EA then insults people by insincerely claiming the big character is only unlockable by an obscene amount of time because they don't want anyone to feel badly for not being skilled enough to unlock it quickly- ensuring more rabble.

Then EA, in its generosity knocks the price down for all the characters by 75%....without telling anyone they are also knocking down the reward bonus/money you get by 75%.

Who, in a sea of executives, thought the audience was too dumb to realize that? :)
many companies still havent adjusted to the new reality of geeks and internet forums instead of compliant magazine reviewers.
ultracrepidarian