Gastronomy

A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.
Antipatros

Re: Gastronomy

Post by Antipatros »

Two recipes from Finlandia Vodka, 1986:

Reindeer Cutlets

(To serve eight)

One saddle of reindeer
2 onions
2 carrots
1/2 root celery
750 mL red wine
160 mL Finlandia vodka

Remove the rows of cutlets from the saddle, clean the cutlets, keep all the extra bones and trimmings. Make the marinade by simmering finely diced root vegetables in red wine for about 10 minutes, add bay leaves, white pepper, and junpier berries. Cool. Add Finlandia vodka, pour over the meat and leave for 6 hours. Remove the cutlets from the marinade, dry well and fry in a frying pan. Place the cutlets in an ovenproof dish and roast in a moderate oven for 45 minutes. Use the marinade to prepare a sauce.

Vorschmack

(To serve ten)

1.5 kg lamb
750g beef
6 herring fillets
one tin anchovies
5 onions

The meat and onions are baked in the oven. (In Finnish gourmet restaurants, the meat is gently cooked for 48 hours. Stock must be added to prevent the dish from drying. At home, 2 hours in a slow oven is sufficient.) When tender, the meat, onions and herring fillets are minced and then cooked. A generous amount of gravy and the anchovies are added and the dish is seasoned with garlic and pepper according to taste. Serve as an hors d'oeuvre with jacket potatoes baked in coarse sea salt and garnish with finely chopped beetroot and gherkin, and naturally a wee dram of Finlandia Vodka!
Be not too curious of Good and Evil;
Seek not to count the future waves of Time;
But be ye satisfied that you have light
Enough to take your step and find your foothold.

--T.S. Eliot
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

n1rvJ4l9CGc
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

Acid reflux could be a real bitch if the soup is as incendiary on the way back up.

The actor Eric McCormack (Will & Grace) was interviewed on CBS Sunday Morning this week. Included was a trip to a "Canadian restaurant" in NYC. The selected dish was poutine, a Quebec creation of freedom fries, cheese curds and gravy. If I'm to believe the Food Network, they're simply called disco fries in New Jersey.

John Candy once suggested, only half in jest, that Canadian food is simply American fare smothered in maple syrup. Most of it is, of course, simply ethnic food that the various communities brought with them. Rather than a coherent corpus of Canadian food, there certainly are regional specialties:

Newfoundland: cod cheeks and fish tongues; seal flipper pie
Quebec: tourtiere; poutine; Brome Lake duck
Prairies: varenyky/pyrohy; holubtsi
Arctic: Baffin Island sushi (raw Arctic char with HP Sauce)
Etc.
Throughout: game

--T.S. Eliot
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

For an up-close look at "ethnic" food as it's harvested and used today in a remote, bush village in Alaska, this thread on an Alaska forum is a once-in-a-lifetime chance to see it up close:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/sho ... r-Gather-r

Incredible stuff . . well worth viewing . .
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

Here's an interesting article on all aspects of creating tonkatsu, from the meat to the cooking fat to the shredded cabbage to the sauce. The sauce is what it's all about, according to the author, and he compares several brands and his homemade sauce:

Pomai, The Great Tonkatsu Sauce Shootout

http://tastyislandhawaii.com/2009/12/07 ... -shootout/

I'll be trying the katsu thing with chicken. Most of our local supermarkets have at least two brands of katsu sauce (Kikkoman plus another). Some of the Asian supermarkets have many more, I'm sure. There are also a large number of easy recipes on the infobahn. Here is one from taste.com.au:

½ cup tomato sauce
¼ cup water
2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp. caster sugar
1 tbsp. finely grated fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves, crushed
¼ tsp. ground allspice

Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until sauce thickens.

Depending on the taste of the preceding recipe, I may add some apple, an ingredient of several of the sauces tested.

--T.S. Eliot
Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

I passed a new(ish) establishment recently, Bross Izakaya Dining and Catering. Google and Wikipedia tell me that "izakaya" refers to a type of sake bar (also called a "red lantern" in Japan, for its traditional sign) where patrons are served small portions of yakitori, sashimi, and so on. The fee for a moist hand towel serves as a cover charge.

All in all, it sounds like a good place to hang out with friends. The sole Google review says something about great sushi at half the price one would pay elsewhere, so it could also be quite economical.

--T.S. Eliot
Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

My oldest and dearest friend and two of his sons dropped in from Ottawa for a brief visit. These cookies were a big hit, as they always are at my house. This is an old recipe from 100 years ago (give or take).

Lemon Refrigerator Cookies

American Bungalow, Spring 2001

Yield: 5 dozen

Rind, juice and pulp of 1 large lemon
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract
1 ½ tsp. lemon extract
2 ½ cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 ½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt

Grate the rind of the lemon and set aside. Slice in half, remove seeds, and ream juice and pulp. Cream butter, sugar, eggs and lemon rind with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Blend in vanilla and lemon extracts, along with juice and pulp.

Sift flour, baking powder and salt together. Add to lemon mixture. Form dough into 2-by-6-inch logs, seal in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. [Or wrap well and freeze until needed.]

Preheat oven to 285°F. Cut dough into ½-inch slices and space 2 inches apart on greased cookie sheets. Bake for 16-20 minutes; avoid overbaking. Allow to cool 5 minutes before transferring to cooling racks. Dust with powdered sugar if desired.

--T.S. Eliot
Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

Another old Beth Elon recipe from the Jerusalem Post:

Green Sauce with Capers

This Mediterranean green sauce is a delicious complement to eggs, and is also great with chicken and fish. The capers give it a pleasing tang like that of a Mexican tomatillo sauce.

1 small garlic clove, peeled
½ cup parsley sprigs
1 tbsp. capers, rinsed
¼ cup diced onion
1 or 2 tbsp. chopped fresh basil
3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp. strained fresh lemon juice (or more to taste)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 to 3 tbsp. water, if needed

In small food processor, chop garlic. Add parsley, capers and onion and chop together. Add basil, oil and 1 tbsp. lemon juice and puree until blended. If sauce is too thick to pour, add a little water and blend again. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and add more lemon juice if needed. (Makes 4 servings.)

--T.S. Eliot
Nonc Hilaire

McJapan Burger

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

g8gJOCwBuFc
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
AzariLoveIran

Post by AzariLoveIran »

noddy

Re: McJapan Burger

Post by noddy »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:g8gJOCwBuFc
i dont usually watch the videos (cant at work and my home connection is phone based and erratic) but i buffered my way through this.

a 2 minute noodle spectacular!
ultracrepidarian
Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

An old Shaker recipe from North Union Shaker Village, Ohio:

Sister Abigail's Blue Flower Omelet

(Blue Flower of the Chive)

4 eggs
4 tbsp. milk or water
½ tsp. salt
⅛ tsp. pepper
1 tbsp. minced parsley
1 tsp. minced chives
2 tbsp. best butter
12 chive blooms

This delicious omelet can be made only when the chives are in full bloom.

Take the eggs and beat them just enough to blend whites and yolks well. Add milk or water, seasoning, minced parsley, and chives. Melt butter in a heavy iron skillet; pour in the mixture. When the edges of omelet begin to set, reduce the heat. With a broad pancake spatula, stir uncooked eggs to the bottom of skillet until all ingredients are cooked. (This gives the omelet a golden color when folded over.) Then sprinkle the washed blooms over the omelet and fold. Serve immediately on hot platter. The blue blossoms add a delicious flavor to the dish. Serves 4.

(Amy Beth Miller and Persis Fuller, The Best of Shaker Cooking (Revised and Expanded Edition 1985))

--T.S. Eliot
AzariLoveIran

Post by AzariLoveIran »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

A fine New Jersey wine

Confirms my prejudices :wink:
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
AzariLoveIran

Post by AzariLoveIran »

2F976jHQ2IA
6ULbLpjWw1U

Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

There is an excellent charity book sale here every June. Although the usual mountains of cookbooks produced by church groups or clubs – often the most interesting material, in my view – were not in evidence, I did locate some worthwhile volumes. Among these is Mme. Jehane Benoit, The Canadiana Cookbook: A Complete Heritage of Canadian Cooking (1970). Here is a small sampling of the recipes, with Madame Benoit’s prefatory notes.

Quebec:

Soupe aux Quatorze Affaires

The true pea soup, slowly simmered to perfect goodness, was so named because fourteen ingredients had to be used to make it perfect. Part of these ingredients were the famous ”herbes salées” [see also here] which some still make. Freezing improves the robust pleasant texture and flavor of the soup.

1 lb. salt pork, lean and fat
1 tbsp. dry mustard
1 lb. dried peas
8 cups cold water
1 large onion, sliced thin
½ tsp. savory*
¾ tsp. wild or dried mint*
⅛ tsp. thyme
¼ cup fresh parsley, minced*
1 clove garlic, minced
1 can hominy corn
1 cup dried bread chips
1 tbsp. coarse salt*
1 tbsp. butter

Rub the salt pork with the dry mustard. Cover and refrigerate for 12 hours. Meanwhile sort, wash then soak the peas in the cold water for 12 hours.

Place in a soup kettle — the peas and their water, the pork, onion, savory, mint, thyme, parsley and garlic. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer them 3 to 4 hours, or until the peas are tender and the soup appears to be creamy. Add the hominy and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the bread chips, salt and the butter. Taste for seasoning and serve.

*These five ingredients may be replaced with ¼ cup salted herbs.

Green Tomato Soup

I have never seen this soup served anywhere in Canada except in Quebec. The following is a recipe from my family.

3 cups green tomatoes, unpeeled and chopped fine
1 onion, chopped
¼ tsp. cinnamon
⅛ tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. sugar
¼ tsp. pepper
2 cups water
¼ tsp. soda
3 tbsp. butter
3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
4 cups milk

Place in a saucepan — the tomatoes, onion, cinnamon, ground cloves, sugar, pepper and water. Bring to a boil and boil for 30 minutes. Add the soda.

Melt the butter and the flour. Mix and add the milk. Cook until creamy, stirring constantly. Add the green tomatoes to the cream. Mix thoroughly. Salt to taste and serve.

Canard à la Rhubarbe
(Rhubard Duck)

The first rhubarb was brought to Quebec by the English. It had come to England in the 1700s by way of Padua in Italy. A guide who lived with the Indians for most of his life had learned and mastered many a way to cook duck. He believed that rhubarb restored a man’s strength and he used lots of it.

2 wild ducks or 1 domestic duck
2 tsp. ground ginger
6 cups rhubarb, diced
1 tbsp. cinnamon
1 cup sugar
½ cup honey
1 cup cold water
2 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. flour
1 cup apple or orange juice
1 tbsp. honey
Salt and pepper to taste

If you do not care for the flavor of wild or domestic duck, remove the skin and all visible fat and rub all over with the ginger, or leave the skin on and rub all over inside cavity with the ginger.

Mix the rhubarb, cinnamon, sugar and honey. Use 1½ cups of this to stuff the ducks. Place the duck in a deep cast-iron saucepan. Pour the water on top, and fill the pan with the rhubarb mixture. Be sure to cover the entire duck at least one inch deep. Add more rhubarb if necessary. Cover tightly. Place in a 375⁰F oven for 1½ hours. My guide used to leave the pot 6 to 8 hours buried in the breakfast embers. Lower the heat to 350⁰F after 1 hour.

When done remove duck to a hot platter. Melt the butter, add the flour, stir together and add the apple or orange juice, honey, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring all the time, until creamy. Pour into the rhubarb in the pan. Simmer together for 10 minutes. Pour some over the duck. Serve rest of sauce in a bowl.

Ontario:

Trout in Corn Husks

This recipe is an old idea, learned from the Indians who were masters of cooking small fish in this marvellous way....

Because this is an open-fire cooking technique, it is suitable for the modern-day backyard barbecue as well as open fires on camping trips. You can use trout, or any pan fish, such as perch.

Clean and scale the fish, and place a lump of butter or melted salt pork in the cavity. Sprinkle with black pepper. Wrap each fish in a whole husk of corn, from which the corn and silk have been removed. Smooth down the husk and tie at the silk end. Place at edge of fire. Cover with live coals. It cooks to perfection in 15 minutes.

New Brunswick:

Oyster Stuffed Halibut

Not every day fare, but a truly elegant dish — perfect for a buffet supper.

2 slices halibut 1 inch thick
1 cup oyster stuffing
¼ tsp. salt
⅛ tsp. pepper
2 tbsp. lemon juice
½ cup white wine

Oyster stuffing:
½ pint oysters
½ cup bread crumbs
2 tbsp. butter
1 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. onion juice
¼ tsp. mixed herbs

Wipe fish. Place one slice in a lightly buttered fireproof baking dish which can be sent to the table. Cover with oyster stuffing. Top with a second slice of fish and sprinkle with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Cover with wine. Bake for ½ hour in 375⁰F-400⁰F oven.

N.W.T.:

Potted Char

1½-2 lbs. char
1 cup clam juice or white wine
1 cup water
Juice of half a lemon or 1 tbsp. bottled lemon
1 small onion, chopped
1 carrot, diced
1 tbsp. parsley, chopped
½ to 1 cup melted butter

Clean fish. Place in saucepan with the clam juice or white wine, the water, lemon juice, onion, carrot, and parsley. Simmer 20 minutes. Cool in bouillon. Remove skin and bones, break into pieces. Place in earthenware pot. Pour melted butter on top. Cover and bake in 350⁰F oven for 30 minutes. Cool, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Potted char will keep two to four weeks refrigerated.

[Arctic char is a salmonid fish whose flavour is even milder than that of trout or Atlantic salmon.]

Yukon:

Slumgullion

Take any minced meat from game. Season and shape into patties. Brown in fat then stew for 1 hour with 1 large can of tomatoes, a spoonful of sugar or molasses, salt, pepper and cooked noodles added in the last 20 minutes. The whole is well simmered and eaten with a spoon.

--T.S. Eliot
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Antipatros wrote:I passed a new(ish) establishment recently, Bross Izakaya Dining and Catering. Google and Wikipedia tell me that "izakaya" refers to a type of sake bar (also called a "red lantern" in Japan, for its traditional sign) where patrons are served small portions of yakitori, sashimi, and so on. The fee for a moist hand towel serves as a cover charge.
It's basically the Japanese equivalent of a British pub.
Antipatros wrote:All in all, it sounds like a good place to hang out with friends. The sole Google review says something about great sushi at half the price one would pay elsewhere, so it could also be quite economical.
It should be. The basic idea is that it's an inexpensive place to hang out with friends, eating and drinking, after work.
Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

Typhoon wrote:
Antipatros wrote:I passed a new(ish) establishment recently, Bross Izakaya Dining and Catering. Google and Wikipedia tell me that "izakaya" refers to a type of sake bar (also called a "red lantern" in Japan, for its traditional sign) where patrons are served small portions of yakitori, sashimi, and so on. The fee for a moist hand towel serves as a cover charge.
It's basically the Japanese equivalent of a British pub.
Antipatros wrote:All in all, it sounds like a good place to hang out with friends. The sole Google review says something about great sushi at half the price one would pay elsewhere, so it could also be quite economical.
It should be. The basic idea is that it's an inexpensive place to hang out with friends, eating and drinking, after work.
I've still not tried it, but I look forward to a visit.

Quite a number of these establishments are springing up here -- it seems to be the latest trend. Perhaps it's a logical development when, in many parts of the city, there seems to be a Japanese restaurant on every corner. People already love the food, so how can one go wrong by adding alcohol?

--T.S. Eliot
Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

The mystery box challenge on Master Chef on Tuesday evening was cooking domestic rabbit. Some of the contestants did surprisingly well, considering that it's not the most common protein on North American tables. Of course, none matched Chef Graham Elliot when he joined in the fun.

Gordon Ramsay has previously demonstrated his approach to cooking lagomorphs.

Kill your Meat before you Eat - Gordon Ramsay - Hare
23kdHf0zej0

What follows is another recipe from Madame Benoit. Remember that an Imperial pint is 20 ounces, not 16, so don't be stingy with the ale.

N.W.T.:

Hare cooked in beer

1 large hare
1 pint ale
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. pepper
1 bay leaf
4 onions, sliced thin
1 carrot, peeled and grated
¼ tsp. allspice
¼ tsp. nutmeg
½ cup bacon fat
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. paprika
6 potatoes

Cut the hare in pieces. Wash in some beer.

Place in a large bowl, the beer, garlic, salt, pepper, bay leaf, onions, carrot, allspice and nutmeg. Place the hare in this mixture. Mix well together, cover and marinate for 24 hours in the refrigerator.

Heat the bacon fat. Place in a bag the flour, salt and paprika. Remove the pieces of hare from the marinating mixture and wipe with absorbent paper. Put in the bag with the flour; shake well to coat with flour.

Brown in the hot bacon fat over medium heat. Add the marinating mixture with its vegetables. Cover and simmer for 1½ hours or until the hare is tender.

Peel the potatoes and slice ¼-inch thick. Place on top of the hare ½-hour before the end of the cooking period. Cover and simmer until the hare and the potatoes are cooked.

how to skin / prepare / cook a rabbit
jwsLHs5pc58

--T.S. Eliot
Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

While we were camping in the Cypress Hills, a hideous din broke the stillness not more than 50 yards away. It was not grouse drumming -- a familiar sound at a certain time of year -- but rather wild turkeys gobbling excitedly and scurrying into the brush. (Wild turkeys are not native here but were introduced from the eastern U.S. for sporting purposes.)

Another Madame Benoit recipe:

Saskatchewan:

Roast grouse with apricot dressing

A well cooked bird with moist meat and crisp skin

2 grouse
¼ cup butter or margarine
¼ cup onion, chopped
1 cup apple, chopped
1 cup dried apricots, chopped,
OR
1 cup dried prunes, chopped
3 cups soft bread cubes
½ tsp. salt
⅛ tsp. pepper
2 tbsp. bacon fat
¼ cup dry bread crumbs
1 cup water

Sprinkle grouse inside and out with 1 tsp. each of ginger and lemon juice. For game birds over three pounds in weight use 1½ tsp. each of ginger and lemon juice. Place in a plastic bag and refrigerate for at least two hours, preferably overnight. Rinse thoroughly in cold water, drain and dry.

Melt fat, cook onions until tender, add apple, apricots or prunes, bread cubes, salt and pepper. Spoon lightly into cavity of bird. Close opening with skewers and string. Rub bird with bacon fat, roll in crumbs. Place on rack in lightweight roaster. Add water. Cover and cook at 350⁰F for 2½ hours.

--T.S. Eliot
Demon of Undoing

Post by Demon of Undoing »

Just went to a locally owned and actually Japanese, not Vietnamese or Chinese, steak house. Appetizer was a Gyozo dumpling, fried but good. Had a strip, thought of getting Kobe beef, but at $50 for an 8 oz cut, decided against it. Two large Kirin Ichiban and bribed our chef to cook my steak illegally rare. A good night out with the family, it's been a long time.

Col Sun, thoughts on Kobe beef?
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Thanks for posting that. I haven't had rabbit or squirrel for years. We would salt ours after field dressing it and then soak it when we got home. The dog always got the inners for a treat and never complained. Wash off the fur and blood with a canteen and a rag and dinner was ready to be brought home and cooked. My mother kept asking them to get shake and bake for rabbit and squirrel but they never got it at the grocery store. We just fried them in lard after they soaked an hour and breaded them with flour. MMMMMmmmmmm MMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmm.
Been busy doing stuff
AzariLoveIran

Post by AzariLoveIran »

for some time, instead of chicken, I eat Pintade .. I prefer it to chicken .. better flavor, more delicate, less fatty .. much better

Pintade sold in France next to chicken

Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

AzariLoveIran wrote:.

for some time, instead of chicken, I eat Pintade .. I prefer it to chicken .. better flavor, more delicate, less fatty .. much better

Pintade sold in France next to chicken

That's "Guinea fowl" for us tin-ears. Very likely available from a butcher near you, along with pheasant, quail, chukar, etc.

--T.S. Eliot
Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

Hoosiernorm wrote:Thanks for posting that. I haven't had rabbit or squirrel for years. We would salt ours after field dressing it and then soak it when we got home. The dog always got the inners for a treat and never complained. Wash off the fur and blood with a canteen and a rag and dinner was ready to be brought home and cooked. My mother kept asking them to get shake and bake for rabbit and squirrel but they never got it at the grocery store. We just fried them in lard after they soaked an hour and breaded them with flour. MMMMMmmmmmm MMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmm.
Our local jackrabbit population usually fluctuates wildly. Several wet years in a row have led to a sustained population explosion. It’s a rare day that I don’t have jackrabbits in my yard in the morning and see a dozen more on my way. They certainly look fat and happy, but I’d be checking their livers very carefully before cooking them.

Yet another recipe from Madame Benoit, who really was a treasure:

N.W.T.:

Hare with bacon

3-4 lb. hare
½ cup flour
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
½ tsp. curry
3 slices salt pork
9-10 slices bacon
2 large onions, sliced
¾ cup water
1 tbsp. parsley, minced

Cut the hare into individual pieces. Mix together the flour, salt, pepper and curry. Roll the pieces in the mixture. Set aside the remaining flour.

Melt 3 slices of salt pork in a cast-iron saucepan. Add the onions and brown. Remove with a skimmer.

Wrap each piece of floured hare in a slice of bacon. Brown in the fat remaining in the saucepan. Remove the pieces as they are browned. Replace the onions in the bottom of the saucepan and cover with the hare and also ¾ cup water.

Add the hare liver and kidney, chopped with a knife. Cover and simmer 1½ to 2 hours over low heat or until the hare is tender.

To make the gravy, remove the hare from the saucepan and place it on a warm platter. Thicken the sauce with the remaining flour blended in 1 cup cold water. Bring to a boil, stirring, until the gravy thickens. Add the parsley and serve.

--T.S. Eliot