Is Tarantino the modern day Shakespeare

A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.
Azrael

Is Tarantino the modern day Shakespeare

Post by Azrael »

The over the top violence, the witty, ornate dialogue, the genera stuff, especially revenge plays, the over the top violent finales, the pop culture references -- Shakespeare sounds a lot like QT.

And while critics sometimes claim that Tarantino has hardly ever read any literature, how do we know that Shakespeare could read and that he didn't dictate his plays for someone else to write down?

Consider that there is little if any evidence that Shakespeare wrote anything besides his literary works, and that there are multiple versions of each of his plays. This could indicate that Shakespeare could have dictated his early drafts to one scribe and made revisions at a later time using another scribe.

I'm not saying that Shakespeare was completely illiterate, only that those who claim that Shakespeare from Stratford on Avon couldn't be the "real" Shakespeare because he wasn't educated enough may be missing the point.
cultivate a white rose
noddy

Re: Is Tarantino the modern day Shakespeare

Post by noddy »

i still like shakesphere the pub owner as my favoured theory - someone who can soak up the drunken stories from all sorts high and low and is good with everyone.

which is actually simmilar on some levels to tarantino the video shop guy watching videos from all sources high and low and dealing with all sorts that come on in.
ultracrepidarian
Enki

Post by Enki »

I said that to my English teacher in HS to piss her off once.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Considering the little evidence we have about Shakespeare's life outside the stage; the pub owner theory is better than some theories that are considered respectable. And there are definitely parallels with Tarantino. I think that if the real truth, whatever it is, were known, it would piss off a lot of English teachers.
cultivate a white rose
Enki

Post by Enki »

Azrael wrote:Considering the little evidence we have about Shakespeare's life outside the stage; the pub owner theory is better than some theories that are considered respectable. And there are definitely parallels with Tarantino. I think that if the real truth, whatever it is, were known, it would piss off a lot of English teachers.
Teachers tend to have this idea that everything from the past was better or cooler than what we have now. Kind of like Spengler forum participants.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

:lol: Brilliant!
cultivate a white rose
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

A friend on another forum came up with a twist on Sturgeon's Law, suggesting that those who really like something - an author, a genre, an entire media - like it so much that 90% of it is rubbish......;)........
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........