What music are you listening to? | 2

A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.
Yukon Cornelius

Re: What music are you listening to? | 2

Post by Yukon Cornelius »

KV2ixprDrK8
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Do non-guitarists appreciate the difference between steel string and nylon string acoustic guitar? Electric guitarists muscle through everything. Steel string acoustic has a short natural decay that only the best artists can play with, but that decay is degrees of magnitude longer and more subtile with nylon string guitars. Even the bracing of a classical guitar is entirely different - more fan shaped and less rectilinear - than a steel string guitar.

The short decay of a steel string allows some creativity in hammering on a single fretted note and other creative interruptions but a classical nylon string demands every touch be respected and built upon and not overstepped. It is not just a sonic difference, but an essential connection between instrument and musician.

The male musician here uses a plectrum and sort of squashes the tune's integrity from both ends. The female musician follows her instrument's response, and is by far the superior artist. Both are exceptional performers, but there are subtleties in play here.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

EUcwo_R_8vk
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

NGw7KtRxfgU
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
kmich

Post by kmich »

For a beautiful spring day...

puM1k-S86nE
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

BClZoVLwZCE

[CC for English subtitles]
Apollonius

Post by Apollonius »

Già si desta la tempesta (from Didone abbandonata) - Nicola Porpora (1686-1768) ; Franco Fagioli, countertenor ; Academia Montis Regalis directed by Alessandro De Marchi
EQmTOpFOXGg

Vorrei spiegar l'affanno (from Semiramide riconosciuta) - Nicola Porpora (1686-1768) ; Franco Fagioli, countertenor ; Academia Montis Regalis directed by Alessandro De Marchi
b6EcV23MJJ4

Here is Fagioli in a live concert singing Porpora and Handel:

Porpora and Handel - Franco Fagioli, countertenor ; Academia Montis Regalis directed by Alessandro De Marchi
D4o5NWsAmho
Apollonius

Post by Apollonius »

A couple of Vivaldi oboe concertos played on copy of an ivory oboe, a masterpiece worked by Johannes Maria Anciuti, conserved at the Parisian Musée de la Musique:

Concerto per oboe, archi e continuo in Fa maggiore, RV 457 - Antonio Vivaldi (1678-1741) ; Simone Toni, oboe, Silete Venti directed by Simone Toni
wAaXOtAE3-c

Concerto per oboe, archi e continuo in Do maggiore, RV 449 - Antonio Vivaldi (1678-1741) ; Simone Toni, oboe, Silete Venti directed by Simone Toni
3NgXSHZmxpY

Simone Toni talking about this ivory oboe. It's in Italian with no subtitles. But near the end you can see him, the ivory oboe, and Stilete Venti playing.

Vivaldi e l'angelo d'avorioSlbpifJTzOg
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

GZCT6013Skg
The Egyptians have long been known as the Arab world’s masters of comedy. True to form, they’ve now managed to turn even the Islamic State’s most powerful anthem against the group.

“Saleel al-Sawarim” (“The clanging of the swords”) is a nasheed, a purely vocal chant, since music with instruments is forbidden according to the Islamic State’s fundamentalist interpretation of Islam. It is just as slick and professional as IS’s other media products, and has been a key factor in strengthening the group’s appeal. Its haunting message of martyrdom and apocalyptic struggle has helped the group recruit young people from all over the world at an unprecedented pace.

However, in the hands of 18-year-old Egyptian computer geek and amateur musician Karem Farok, the jihadi nasheed has now been remixed into a dance pop hit.

“‘Saleel al-Sawarim’ was getting very popular and it stuck in my head too, since it is a good tune,” Farok admitted. “So I wanted to transform it into a tool for mocking the Islamic State. And I managed to turn it around completely, from death and violence to dance.”

This way, listening to the remix becomes an act of defiance in what Farok sees as a psychological war.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

bNYnVrBsx4U
Deep down I'm very superficial
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Thinking about those catchy Nasheeds... how it feels, the origins, maybe this? The promise of oasis yonder, the thirst, the scorching desert sun... mirages, mirages of mirages of the mind.

Deep down I'm very superficial
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

cU8HrO7XuiE

and pretty gurls in this one.....'>......

Ki-fATpXa00
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

IuexxtDGo5c
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

9_HlKl1Xypw

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Tip of the hat to T Bone Burnett

p4zluA60hjs
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Azari Music & Dance

_QAfXSTuDek

kmich

Post by kmich »

Rest in peace, Ben E.King, and thank you for blessing me the anthem of my childhood:

hwZNL7QVJjE
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

H5UZtlQY1O4

kRKxlYIyA6g
Heracleum Persicum

L1EDbqwzGv8
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

XnBbjc5hmho
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

qKzTmMUhu2k
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

hoPugqYMISM
Heracleum Persicum

Best of the best
:D

VfYh3PLRqbQ