Ender's Game comes to the big screen

A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.
Doc

Ender's Game comes to the big screen

Post by Doc »

I wasn't sure where to put this since there is no forum for books and movies (hint hint)
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/01/movie ... .html?_r=0
And a Child Shall Lead Them Into Space Battle
‘Ender’s Game,’ With Harrison Ford and Asa Butterfield
Richard Foreman/Summit Entertainment

Hailee Steinfeld and Asa Butterfield in "Ender's Game."
By MANOHLA DARGIS
Published: October 31, 2013

At one point in “Ender’s Game,” the boy brainiac Ender Wiggin stands on a podium waving his arms. A vast, immersive image of outer space is spread out before him, and if you didn’t know better, you might think he was playing Wii on an Imax screen. It’s an amusingly self-reflexive moment in a humorless movie about children who play war games as part of their very grown-up military training. As he furiously moves spaceships and troops across computer screens, he looks, by turns, like a superexcited kid, an orchestra conductor, Mickey Mouse as the Sorcerer’s Apprentice and even a Christ figure. Childhood can be tough in movies, but rarely do screen children suffer for our sins as they do here.
More About This Movie

Ender's Game

Harrison Ford addresses a class of potential warriors in “Ender’s Game,” the film adaptation of the novel by Orson Scott Card.

Based on the 1985 science-fiction novel by Orson Scott Card, the movie envisions a future world ruled by a monolithic militaristic government that trains children to fight large insectlike extraterrestrials called Formics or buggers. When the story opens, Ender (Asa Butterfield) thinks he’s just another runt with a monitor jammed in his neck that allows the authorities, personified by Colonel Graff who, because he’s played by Harrison Ford, should have been called Gruff, and a psychologist, Major Anderson (Viola Davis), to observe each potential warrior’s words, moods and tears. Graff believes that Ender may be the child to lead them all, a sermon he preaches as Ender is tested first on Earth and then in the outer space battle school where the movie gets its game on.

It’s no surprise that Mr. Card’s novel, which he followed with several sequels, has sold a zillion copies. The charismatic leader, the divine child, the possible Christ figure or potential Hitler stand-in (according to one notorious, widely circulated reading): Ender Wiggin is an expediently malleable figure. In the novel, he is also, shades of the Spartans, 6 when he ships off to battle school, which puts a distinctly ugly spin on a scene in the book in which he methodically brutalizes a bully, kicking the other boy repeatedly, including in the face. Ender has logically decided that by crushing the other boy, he will prevent future attacks, a prophylactic philosophy that mirrors the authorities’ attitude toward the buggers. He’s 12 in the movie, which doesn’t make that beating any better.

It’s taken decades for “Ender’s Game” to reach the screen, and it’s hard not to think that it had to wait for the right anxious moment. In the 1950s, adolescent alienation meant Sal Mineo’s Christ figure dying in the embrace of his surrogate parents in “Rebel Without a Cause.” Many years and sad stories later, the kids are still not all right, and while much remains the same, much has changed, including the familiar reality of the child who kills. Like the kids in the “Harry Potter” franchise and in “The Hunger Games,” Ender and his schoolmates do have childish moments. Yet what’s striking about the children in these pop culture behemoths is that, unlike in “Rebel,” they aren’t allowed to pretend to be adults, because the world compels them to assume those roles.

The adults in “Ender’s Game” come off as exceedingly creepy, despite Mr. Ford’s strained avuncularity and Ms. Davis’s flooding eyes. Ender is singled out because he seems to be a natural leader, which in the logic of both the book and the movie means someone who imposes his will on enemy and friend alike. He’s rational and brutal, which is a harder sell on the screen, where every punch carries an unsettling intensity that the director, Gavin Hood, has trouble managing. Mr. Butterfield is one of those young performers whose seriousness feels as if it sprang from deep within. And while he’s an appealing presence, little Ender can’t help feeling like a pint-size psycho.

Mr. Hood, whose script winnows the novel into two hours of mostly action and a fair amount of talk, does better once the story shifts to space. (Ender’s home, where crammed bookshelves line one wall and his mother bustles alone in the kitchen like a 1950s housewife, has a pointless antediluvian quality.) Among the dividends are a barking sergeant, Dap (Nonso Anozie), and a giant geodesic-dome-like room in which trainees practice in zero gravity. It’s pleasant to watch these tiny untethered bodies float like cosmic motes and to follow Ender into an appealingly detailed animated computer game, in which he tumbles down a rabbit hole and discovers a mystery that will presumably only be fully solved in the sequels. His tribulations are likely not over.

“Ender’s Game” is rated PG-13 (Parents strongly cautioned). Genocidal violence and extreme fighting among children.

Ender’s Game

Opens on Friday.

Written and directed by Gavin Hood, based on the book by Orson Scott Card; director of photography, Donald M. McAlpine; edited by Zach Staenberg and Lee Smith; music by Steve Jablonsky; production design by Sean Haworth and Ben Procter; costumes by Christine Bieselin Clark; visual effects supervisor, Matthew E. Butler; produced by Gigi Pritzker, Linda McDonough, Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci, Robert Chartoff, Lynn Hendee, Mr. Card and Ed Ulbrich; released by Summit Entertainment. Running time: 1 hour 54 minutes.

WITH: Harrison Ford (Colonel Graff), Asa Butterfield (Ender Wiggin), Hailee Steinfeld (Petra Arkanian), Viola Davis (Major Gwen Anderson), Abigail Breslin (Valentine Wiggin), Nonso Anozie (Sergeant Dap) and Ben Kingsley (Mazer Rackham).
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Ibrahim

Re: Enders game comes to the big screen

Post by Ibrahim »

Doc

Post by Doc »

Ibrahim wrote:viewforum.php?f=6
My apologies I missed that completely
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
YMix

Post by YMix »

Topic moved from Philosophy.

I've read the book... 20 years ago and loved it. No need to watch a movie.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Doc

Post by Doc »

YMix wrote:Topic moved from Philosophy.

I've read the book... 20 years ago and loved it. No need to watch a movie.
Interesting that is pretty close to what my son said.

Personally I loved Ender's Game but I loved the Ender's/human race's redemption novels even more. Speaker for the dead has to be the best 300 some page metaphor for "the truth shall set you free" ever written.
YMix

Post by YMix »

A book on war appealed to me back when I was in high school. Books on redemption, much less so.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
Doc

Post by Doc »

YMix wrote:A book on war appealed to me back when I was in high school. Books on redemption, much less so.
I can imagine. Though war was a very small part of Ender's game itself. Mostly it was about preparing for war.
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

YMix wrote:A book on war appealed to me back when I was in high school. Books on redemption, much less so.
Same, especially stuff set in ancient Rome or Greece. I wasn't a huge sci-fi/fantasy nerd when I was younger, but people were always trying to get me to read Lord of the Rings, the Dune series, and the "Enderverse" novels. I only ended up reading Dune, but I'm curious enough that I definitely plan to see this movie.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Ibrahim wrote:
Same, especially stuff set in ancient Rome or Greece. I wasn't a huge sci-fi/fantasy nerd when I was younger, but people were always trying to get me to read Lord of the Rings, the Dune series, and the "Enderverse" novels. I only ended up reading Dune, but I'm curious enough that I definitely plan to see this movie.
Ymix is right the movie inherently will have to leave out a lot of things Though the "battle school", which was the original short story they are saying is much better in the movie. In the book Ender is 6 years old when he goes there. In the movie he is 12. The relationship with his Psychopathic brother and his empathetic sister is greatly reduced as well. The book BTW anticipated the internet and basically what the NSA is doing now. Though under a sort of UN arrangement of militaries . .
Doc

Post by Doc »

OK Saw it don't bother. Too Violent to take a kid to and to shallow otherwise. I mean the Violence Ender dishes out while less than the book is extremely violent. They changed teh ending However mostly a thinned out rehash of the book. Kind of like the Readers Digest version of Shakespeare.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Thanks for the review. It's pretty much what I expected.
Doc

Post by Doc »

YMix wrote:Thanks for the review. It's pretty much what I expected.
The only movie I ever saw that was better then the book was Congo. That wasn't so hard because the book wasn't very good.

The strange thing about Hollywood is they don't seem to have a clue. I know of a lot of books that would make great movies but the movies will never be made.
YMix

Post by YMix »

I had the misfortune of reading "Where Eagles Dare". It taught me to appreciate the movie.
Doc

Post by Doc »

YMix wrote:I had the misfortune of reading "Where Eagles Dare". It taught me to appreciate the movie.
Yeah I wonder what the book "Plan Nine from Outer Space" was like :lol:
Nonc Hilaire

Re: Ender's Game comes to the big screen

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

My family is reading Ender's Game aloud before bed now. Its not bad for a juvenile novel, but how is the rest of the quintet? The publishers seem to demand a serial format these days, and that can really cripple what might have made a good novel.

Does the movie cover all of the series, and is the rest of the series worth reading? Four more books is a serious time investment.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Doc

Post by Doc »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:My family is reading Ender's Game aloud before bed now. Its not bad for a juvenile novel, but how is the rest of the quintet? The publishers seem to demand a serial format these days, and that can really cripple what might have made a good novel.

Does the movie cover all of the series, and is the rest of the series worth reading? Four more books is a serious time investment.
The rest of the quintet is very different. The movie was a waste of time. It only covers part of the first book. I liked the latter books more than the first. But that is just me. They are mostly about expressing psychology, anthropology, politics and even chemistry from a completely different, out of every day context, perspective. Which science fiction is often used to do.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

I've seen the movie and read The Speaker for the Dead now. Speaker was a much better novel, and in the preface Card notes that Ender's Game was originally a novelette and that he had to rewrite it as a novel to serve as a prequel for the series.

I agree that the movie was a disappointment. The novel was a psychological thriller, but it was filmed as an action movie. The movie was dull because most of the action takes place in Ender's head where it cannot be photographed but only suggested. The production company chose the wrong screenwriter.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Doc

Post by Doc »

There are a whole long series of books actually. "Xenocide" and "children of the mind" were also decent books to read. The ones after that were OK. Just not as good as the others.

I think all are full of a lot of imaginative thought provocation on Card's part. Like Demosthenes' Hierarchy of Foreignness The list is here: http://ansible.wikia.com/wiki/Hierarchy_of_Foreignness

But out of the context of the latter three books, does not mean as much as it does in the books
Last edited by Doc on Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doc

Post by Doc »

YMix wrote:I had the misfortune of reading "Where Eagles Dare". It taught me to appreciate the movie.
The movie Congo was like that for me. Not that it was a great movie Just that the book was soooooo bad.