Film as short story?

A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.
Nonc Hilaire

Film as short story?

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Has Netflixing the *miniseries* relegated the role of the film to a short story?

The development of secondary plots is minimzed in the <2hr format. Can we translate "Moby Dick" adequately into a single film?

"Great Expectations", "Bleak House", "Emma", "Jayne Eyre" and "Wuthering Heights" have all been translated as <2hr movies and also as mini-series. I think the mini-series format always best translates the interlocking sub-plots of a proper novel.

Almost all novels today require at least a three part series to seduce Hollywood, even if it is repetitive claptrap. The repetitive series is valid, but not equivalent to the complex novel.

I see the mini-series as an expansion of artistic form. It is rarely recognized today, but I believe it will be. We are interpreting the TV series less as episodic and more as an integral and cohesive entity.

Comments?
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila