Architecture

A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.
Typhoon

Re: Architecture

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:Wright was a famous early F*head. Fallingwater was so loud the owner couldn't live in it. Wright's stool designed for the receptionist at the Johnson Wax building was so stylish the receptionist kept falling over. People still must stand at a weird angle to view works in the screwy part of the Guggenheim.
Well, his Imperial Hotel in Tokyo was knocked down to make way . . .

Still, I'm partial to many of the concepts espoused by the Prairie School back in a time when most people of means were building faux castles,
the forerunners of today's McMansions.

I don't know if it has always been the case, but there now seems to a set of celebrity architects that can do no wrong:
Hadid, LIebskind, Gehry, Starck [creator of the infamous Golden Turd of Tokyo],

and a few others.

Just as it was once true that "no one gets fired for buying IBM", it now seems that in architecture no selection committee is ever fired
for choosing one of the celebchitect submissions to a competition.

However, the committee who chose Hadid's design for the 2020 Olympic Stadium should be fired:

dcJska8QtUw

When I first saw the presentation, the first thought that came to mind was US$ 1 billion for Godzilla's bicycle helmet?
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

1zw5h5IYlic
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:.

all at the push of a button

I was going to post this remarkable house with swiveling rooms, but I seen that you have already done so.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

veNf-bz99cI
Been busy doing stuff
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

Hoosiernorm wrote:veNf-bz99cI
I keep dreaming of having cities built "underground", leaving the above ground for recreation and food production. Will the Chinese dig as fast as they build up?...
noddy

Post by noddy »

Typhoon wrote:
Heracleum Persicum wrote:.

all at the push of a button

I was going to post this remarkable house with swiveling rooms, but I seen that you have already done so.
it doesnt make sense to me, why wouldnt you just build it permantly folded out ?

thats a whole bunch of expensive machinary to maintain for dubious benefit.
ultracrepidarian
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Amazing chapel. Follow the link to see the other views.

http://gorillafeed.com/this-church-in-b ... -designed/
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Nonc Hilaire

China plans amethyst crystal hotel

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Teresa of Ávila
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

93XWzqZntqw
YMix

Post by YMix »

-D2WRFPUxUg
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
noddy

Post by noddy »

https://shanghai.ist/2018/09/24/penis-b ... fireworks/
According to the Nanning Daily, the building is called Guangxi New Media Center and was finished in August after nearly two years of construction. Although its appearance has garnered widespread mockery, local media explained that the original intent behind the building was to model it after the familiarity of the terraced landscape dominant in Guangxi and Yunnan Provinces. While the architect may have had these southern sloped farming planes in mind, well, just tell us what you see:

feZkBT_A-ec
ultracrepidarian
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Deep down I'm very superficial
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

noddy wrote:feZkBT_A-ec
Sometimes the best thing you should do when you're caught out on such an expensive and highly public venture is to double down.....'>........
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Oy2QIiSQT2U
Deep down I'm very superficial
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

thanks for posting. where is Howard Roark and his dynamite when we need them?

https://americanrhetoric.com/MovieSpeec ... nhead.html
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded wrote:

Greatly enjoyed the book, the views espoused were so different, so foreign to me, but I found the film unintentionally funny.

On the other hand, I could not finish the book Atlas Shrugged.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

CRIMES IN CONCRETE
In a recent debate in Prospect magazine on the question of whether modern architecture has ruined British towns and cities, Professor James Stevens Curl, one of Britain’s most ­distinguished architectural historians, wrote as his opening salvo:

Visitors to these islands who have eyes to see will observe that there is hardly a town or city that has not had its streets—and skyline—wrecked by insensitive, crude, post-1945 additions which ignore established geometries, ­urban grain, scale, materials, and ­emphases.

This is so self-evidently true that I find it hard to understand how anyone could deny it, but modern architects and hangers-on such as architectural journalists do deny it, like war criminals who, for ­obvious reasons, continue to deny their crimes in the face of overwhelming evidence.
https://www.firstthings.com/article/201 ... n-concrete
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Colonel Sun wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:

Greatly enjoyed the book, the views espoused were so different, so foreign to me, but I found the film unintentionally funny.

On the other hand, I could not finish the book Atlas Shrugged.
I understand completely. I think Rand, like most humans who achieve celebrity, got just a bit too impressed with herself, and too verbose. IIRC, John Galt's court room speech lasted 75 pages in the book. Overall I think the Fountainhead was better. Her concepts don't transfer well to the big screen.

One of the most interesting aspects IMSMO, of Rand, is how the interpretation of her is dependent on the zeitgeist. She is either revered or reviled by the contemporary advant guards of intellectual fashion. Very few can meet the job requirements of both god and devil. Which I think say more about humans in general than it does about her work as an author/philosopher.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Curr Aff | Why you hate contemporary architecture
And if you don’t, why you should…