Star Wars

A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.

Star Wars

Postby Mr. Perfect » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:41 am

I thought it was awful.

1) They killed Han Solo. I hear they kill Santa Claus in the next one
2) Scene by scene copy of the original
3) Return of the Jedi never really happened because the Empire bounced right back.

I was over the moon for the originals, and the prequels were among the worst movies ever made. As such my expectations were low, but I thought that the likely outcome was a serviceable action type movie in the Star Wars universe. But no, they managed to make the worst one ever.
Censorship isn't necessary
Mr. Perfect

Re: Star Wars

Postby noddy » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:20 am

cant say.

the child version of me back in the day loved the first two and thought the third one sucked - it went from a slighly edgy anti hero to a lame family thing with teddy bears and soap opera situations.

the adult of me accidently caught a section of the prequals and thought he was watching an advertisement for a computer game and left the room.
Last edited by noddy on Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
noddy

Postby Mr. Perfect » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:27 am

The only reason I went is so that I didn't have to learn about any spoilers. Now, I wish I had known the spoiler and never gone.
Mr. Perfect

Postby Typhoon » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:46 pm

Well, apparently you have George Lucas for company.
_____

I only saw the first one, now many years ago.

I'm an anomaly as it didn't interest me enough to see the rest.
So no plans to see the current on.
All the world's a stage.
Typhoon

Postby Nonc Hilaire » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:58 pm

Typhoon wrote:Well, apparently you have George Lucas for company.
_____

I only saw the first one, now many years ago.

I'm an anomaly as it didn't interest me enough to see the rest.
So no plans to see the current on.

Agreed. I found the first one trite and dissapointing.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Nonc Hilaire

Postby Parodite » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:08 pm

Haven't seen any star wars movie yet.. but did see the latest mad max: fury road which I enjoyed pretty much also because it is so well done. If the latest star wars is made very well.. maybe still worth wtaching it? I mean.. movies where the story line isn't that important and the amount of improbable nonsense is actually fun.
Outside, away from the noise, grows a flower.
Parodite

Postby NapLajoieonSteroids » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:27 am

In defense of the prequels, George Lucas set out to tell a different story (that thing wrapped around the Darth Vader melodrama) while showcasing ILM and what they had been working on. In that, he pretty much got what he wanted to do.

The way he made those films was a very controversial thing and he was all but shunned over it- I guarantee you that even if those movies were halfway decent, they still would be panned and ridiculed because of all the backroom politics going on at the time. It's almost besides the point that they completely failed to entertain. I don't think we'll ever see a blockbuster again where one guy has so much control over the product, from the production on down to the marketing.

It also should be exhibit A for why 'movie making' is a great collaborative project.

and exhibit B on why you shouldn't divorce your editor, the lady that actually made the first two films work as entertainment.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Postby NapLajoieonSteroids » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:00 am

Which makes those prequels such a good contrast to how Episode 7 panned out because they both cratered:

-It played like a very calculated fan fiction movie- an amalgamation of the first two. Even then, what they had wasn't that good, even in its context.

-It was silly and it moved much too slowly the minute grandpa showed up and started stumbling around with his blaster.

-Speaking of the original characters, I don't believe they were necessary for the story they were telling (or retelling as it were); in fact, the movie goes out of its way to portray them as failures. Anyone who sees the movie will understand what I'm getting at.

-I seem to be in the minority from what I gathered, but I thought the movie started out all right. I thought the Oscar Issacson character John Boyega character had a good, immediate chemistry and I would've preferred to follow the two of them through the movie in hindsight. Mr.Boyega plays very different parts though in the movie. In the beginning he is this novel character for the star wars films, then once he meets the female lead, he becomes a non-entity helpmeet. You could easily erase him from his scenes. They ruin his character in another way, but I wouldn't know how to go into that without getting into spoilers.

-Which brings me to the girl. She was...a prequel sort of wooden. Which was terrible because the whole thing revolves around her. And I don't know if that's her limitations as an actress or what, but it can't all fall on her because they gave her a role where she had to play a combination of the three lead archetypes from original movie- how can you possibly do that? A lot of the complaints I read centered around her being a Mary Sue character who is most perfect in every situation. And yeah, I get that, and I guess my criticism falls within that range; but I really don't care if she is stronger than X or if she breaks Star Wars mythology (or what have you) ...

I wanna know why Disney decided to shove what took three characters the first time around into one character- it clearly left a whole bunch of bloat around her. Half way through the movie you don't need anyone else because she is Hans, Luke and Leia all wrapped into one. Why bother having any supporting protagonists? It can only be chalked up to bad writing and directing.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Postby Mr. Perfect » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:41 am

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:In defense of the prequels, George Lucas set out to tell a different story (that thing wrapped around the Darth Vader melodrama) while showcasing ILM and what they had been working on. In that, he pretty much got what he wanted to do.

The way he made those films was a very controversial thing and he was all but shunned over it- I guarantee you that even if those movies were halfway decent, they still would be panned and ridiculed because of all the backroom politics going on at the time. It's almost besides the point that they completely failed to entertain. I don't think we'll ever see a blockbuster again where one guy has so much control over the product, from the production on down to the marketing.

It also should be exhibit A for why 'movie making' is a great collaborative project.

and exhibit B on why you shouldn't divorce your editor, the lady that actually made the first two films work as entertainment.

I think she cheated on him with a guy from the prop department.
Mr. Perfect

Postby Mr. Perfect » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:47 am

Well they killed Han Solo, they copied the original movie to the dots, and they negated Return of the Jedi since the Empire pretty much came right back, and Hanlukeleia basically just pissed around in the intervening decades. From galaxy conquerors to hippies trying to find themselves.

As for the new stuff, none of it worked. The girl was as you say, a copy of Luke who then absorbed Han Solo and Leia, the storm trooper fizzled fast and the new Darth Maul was a joke. I can't believe how bad that went. Some whiny emo kid with a lightsaber.

Jar Jar Abrams has only begun I'm afraid.
Mr. Perfect

Postby NapLajoieonSteroids » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:32 pm

He gave the fans what they wantedL nostalgia, where nothing has changed. They even threw a line in there that nothing will ever change (as long as they can make money on the brand).
NapLajoieonSteroids

Postby NapLajoieonSteroids » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:03 am

Hey Mr.P, you're a Star Wars fan; if I were you, I'd skip seeing the new one in theaters.

Despite the glowing reviews (which the last two very suspiciously received as well, ) it sounds from the leaks that Disney is crapping on everything the Star Wars fans liked about these films. They are not course correcting or adding to the mythos...from the spoilers, it sounds like more very bad and shallow storytelling and genuine disappointment is brewing, lots of people perturbed at some really stupid choices they made.

I spoiled it for myself because it's long been a family tradition to go see a movie on Christmas Eve, and frankly, I can't sit through another Star Wars. Yet, that's what'll be the big spectacle movie this month....so I was hoping for some [b]real[/i] reviews saying how fun and awesome it is or that Mark Hamill steals the show or that the new characters step up and the questions from the first film are answered.

nope.Nope.NopE. noPe. Nope.

It's such a turd that Disney is sending barely disguised pr people to message boards to clear up the negative criticisms and reactions from the spoilers and explain why its a "work of genius" and the "best Star Wars movie" ever and and aand....

And I'm warning you because what I read even insulted me ---there is a scene which in a most obtuse manner pisses right on any fans from the 6 other movies/the toys/the books/the video games/the toothbrushes....you know, anyone who has bought their junk for 40 years. Why should anyone subject themselves to that?
NapLajoieonSteroids

Return to Art + Architecture