Star Wars

A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.
Mr. Perfect

Re: Star Wars

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Do you know about bathos?
Censorship isn't necessary
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

But I'll agree with you that killing him off on that bridge with the dumb, obvious parallels was so lame and anticlimactic. He did have a point in dying though, his son was a big disappointment and that's JJ Abrahms&co. personal opinion about sons "today" in general: failures. 'Cause it's supposed to rhyme (in Lucas-speak) with the disappointment of Fathers from the original trilogy. While another lame trope in the hands of hacks, the difference is this: it's much easier to buy into the "bad dad" thing as an audience member because you can root for the son who in no way is responsible for whatever the father did (Luke/Vader). When the writer makes it "bad son" syndrome, and the conflict is familial between father and son, you better have a d*mn good reason why the son sucks or else the audience will not be all that invested because the father raised him to begin with. Making him whiny puts the whole blame on the parents, and specifically on Han Solo.

So he's gone from lovable rogue and most popular character of the series to dirtbag dad- someone(s) sat in a board room thinking that was a brilliant idea.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Look, you can go on endlessly about the horror show that is modern Star Wars. The last 5 movies have been crimes against humanity, and the first 3 as a string were among the best ever made, so the dichotomy is an endless black hole of horrific wonder. Exploring the catastrophe of the later movies is an endless fruitless exercise, exhausting and inexhaustible.

And I appear to be stuck in this hell as my young relatives will be dragging me to these for the rest of my life.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:But I'll agree with you that killing him off on that bridge with the dumb, obvious parallels was so lame and anticlimactic. He did have a point in dying though, his son was a big disappointment and that's JJ Abrahms&co. personal opinion about sons "today" in general: failures.
Could be. But man I just don't care what Jar Jar thinks about anything.
'Cause it's supposed to rhyme (in Lucas-speak) with the disappointment of Fathers from the original trilogy. While another lame trope in the hands of hacks, the difference is this: it's much easier to buy into the "bad dad" thing as an audience member because you can root for the son who in no way is responsible for whatever the father did (Luke/Vader). When the writer makes it "bad son" syndrome, and the conflict is familial between father and son, you better have a d*mn good reason why the son sucks or else the audience will not be all that invested because the father raised him to begin with. Making him whiny puts the whole blame on the parents, and specifically on Han Solo.

So he's gone from lovable rogue and most popular character of the series to dirtbag dad- someone(s) sat in a board room thinking that was a brilliant idea.
Man are you right about that.

I think the biggest villain in the universe is Kathleen Kennedy.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Mr. Perfect wrote:Look, you can go on endlessly about the horror show that is modern Star Wars. The last 5 movies have been crimes against humanity, and the first 3 as a string were among the best ever made, so the dichotomy is an endless black hole of horrific wonder. Exploring the catastrophe of the later movies is an endless fruitless exercise, exhausting and inexhaustible.

And I appear to be stuck in this hell as my young relatives will be dragging me to these for the rest of my life.

Hardly fruitless for some of us, even if that boils down to being for the sake of understanding what it is that we are watching.

Personally, I think every one of these movies past the 1st one could be tossed into a garbage can without anyone missing anything. That being said, the last 2 of the original trilogy are wildly popular, which can't be dismissed; and still possess some sort of entertainment value. Moreover, there are aspects of the 2nd trilogy which possess something redeemable about them- whether it is the historical value about the fight over computer graphics taking over the movie industry or just a great example of poor choices in the whole film making process. [see: the volumes of written and taped discussion since the prequel trilogies came out]

Don't let them develop poor taste
noddy

Post by noddy »

post bucaneer viewing.

* all baddies leaders are men, all goodies leaders are women, tolerant of spunky but impulsive and violent men.
* chewbacca gets shamed into being a vegan, or something.
* mary sue ray is still mary sue ray
* kylo actually was more interesting than his previous whiny version, must have been a mistake.
* snoke? goes down with darth maul (and chrome stormtrooper) as the most incomplete, vague hand waving of a cool villain that dies before you give a lavender.
* better add an irrelevant side quest with black and east asian folks , just in case the diversity clints have a whine.
* cant remember any more - if i wait a week I wont even remember the above.
ultracrepidarian
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Looks like Solo is whimpering out. Lowest gross yet. Marvel keeps outdoing itself while Star Wars is in a freefall.

It blows my mind that they managed to kill Star Wars. Greatest movie series of all time, now dead in it's tracks.

Jar Jar Abrams and Kathleen Kennedy. Career suicide.