Quote of the Day

Tea is nought but this: first you heat the water, then you make the tea. Then you drink it properly.
Typhoon

Quote of the Day

Post by Typhoon »

From a Commie under every bush, America has moved to a Mommy behind every bush.

Can I have my Commies back?
~ Fred Reed

Famous Urinals I Have Known
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
AzariLoveIran

Re: Quote of the Day

Post by AzariLoveIran »

ONE. Give people more than they expect and do it cheerfully.

TWO. Marry a man/woman you love to talk to. As you get older, their conversational skills will be as important as any other.

THREE. Don't believe all you hear, spend all you have or sleep all you want.

FOUR. When you say, 'I love you,' mean it.

FIVE. When you say, 'I'm sorry,' look the person in the eye.

SIX. Be engaged at least six months before you get married.

SEVEN. Believe in love at first sight.

EIGHT. Never laugh at anyone's dreams. People who don't have dreams don't have much.

NINE... Love deeply and passionately. You might get hurt but it's the only way to live life completely.

TEN.. In disagreements, fight fairly. No name calling.

ELEVEN. Don't judge people by their relatives.

TWELVE. Talk slowly but think quickly.

THIRTEEN. When someone asks you a question you don't want to answer, smile and ask, 'Why do you want to know?'

FOURTEEN. Remember that great love and great achievements involve great risk.

FIFTEEN. Say 'bless you' when you hear someone sneeze.

SIXTEEN. When you lose, don't lose the lesson.

SEVENTEEN. Remember the three R's: Respect for self; Respect for others; and Responsibility for all your actions.

EIGHTEEN. Don't let a little dispute injure a great friendship.

NINETEEN. When you realize you've made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it.

TWENTY. Smile when picking up the phone. The caller will hear it in your voice

TWENTY- ONE. Spend some time alone.

Parodite

Post by Parodite »

More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
-Woody Allen
Deep down I'm very superficial
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Freedom from the desire for an answer is essential to the understanding of a problem.
- Jiddu Krishnamurti
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Without darkness there are no dreams.
-Karla Kuban
Demon of Undoing

Post by Demon of Undoing »

You can apologize for what you do at 15, but not 50. - Ricky Gervais
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Without books the development of civilization would have been impossible. They are the engines of change, windows on the world, "Lighthouses" as the poet said "erected in the sea of time." They are companions, teachers, magicians, bankers of the treasures of the mind. Books are humanity in print.

-Arthur Schopenhauer , philosopher (1788-1860)
Demon of Undoing

Parodite wrote:Without books the development of civilization would have been impossible. They are the engines of change, windows on the world, "Lighthouses" as the poet said "erected in the sea of time." They are companions, teachers, magicians, bankers of the treasures of the mind. Books are humanity in print.

Thank you for that. Explains my reverence, even when I don't get it.

Does anybody else get aggravated when they see a book mistreated or abused?
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Demon of Undoing wrote:
Parodite wrote:Without books the development of civilization would have been impossible. They are the engines of change, windows on the world, "Lighthouses" as the poet said "erected in the sea of time." They are companions, teachers, magicians, bankers of the treasures of the mind. Books are humanity in print.

I do. It provokes a disproportionate visceral reaction that has on occasion expressed itself as a forceful slap to the back of the [surprised] offender's head.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

There is hope!

No two persons ever read the same book.
-Edmund Wilson, critic (1895-1972)
Demon of Undoing

Typhoon wrote:
Demon of Undoing wrote:

I do. It provokes a disproportionate visceral reaction that has on occasion expressed itself as a forceful slap to the back of the [surprised] offender's head.
Good. The fact that you feel this as well lends validation to the idea that this reaction, even if extreme, is not unwarranted. Arigato.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Truth is truth, one, alone; it has no sides, no paths; all paths do not lead to truth. There is no path to truth, it must come to you. Truth can come to you only when your mind and heart are simple, clear, and there is love in your heart; not if your heart is filled with the things of the mind. When there is love in your heart, you do not talk about organizing for brotherhood; you do not talk about belief, you do not talk about division or the powers that create division, you need not seek reconciliation. Then you are a simple human being without a label, without a country. This means that you must strip yourself of all those things and allow truth to come into being; and it can only come when the mind is empty, when the mind ceases to create. Then it will come without your invitation. Then it will come as swiftly as the wind and unbeknown. It comes obscurely, not when you are watching, wanting. It is there as sudden as sunlight, as pure as the night; but to receive it, the heart must be full and the mind empty.

J. Krishnamurti (1895 - 1986)
noddy

Post by noddy »

if we all end up going to jail because of pirating music, i sure hope they split us by genre : anon internet wag.
ultracrepidarian
Demon of Undoing

noddy wrote:if we all end up going to jail because of pirating music, i sure hope they split us by genre : anon internet wag.
:lol:

" Riot broke out at Pelican Bay, when Texas rockabillly inmates, led by hardcore Reverend Horton Heat gang members, attacked dozens of Death Cab For Cutie rippers in the prison yard. Tensions have been high since the Kanye West factions were brutalized by acolytes of the Tori Amos brigades, who somehow managed to manufacture prison hooch napalm. All of the fans of the singer songwriter have been dispersed to various penitentiaries nation wide, but the power vaccuum set up the mass mayhem of today. The number of casualties is hard to ascertain, as emos are notorious whiners and nobody can be sure who is actually hurt and who is merely wheedling to fit in."
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

When nations grow old, the arts grow cold and commerce settles on every tree.
-William Blake, poet, engraver, and painter (1757-1827)
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Conscience is the inner voice that warns us somebody may be looking.
-H.L. Mencken
Enki

Post by Enki »

Parodite wrote:When nations grow old, the arts grow cold and commerce settles on every tree.
Sigh...I feel that lately.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

I heard this from a friend as commentary on those who are their own worst enemies: "That's why stupid is supposed to hurt!"

Another commentary on someone making a difficult yet stupid mistake is: "They stepped on their dick."
Locke

Post by Locke »

^^^

I'm reminded of a former colleague who may have been his own worst enemy. He once told me his supervisor had said something profound: no one is completely useless, they can always serve as a bad example. The ironic part is he never for a moment thought that he might be the bad example.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Enki wrote:
Parodite wrote:When nations grow old, the arts grow cold and commerce settles on every tree.
Sigh...I feel that lately.
Indeed it's depressing. It also makes me wonder if kids are not supposed to make us parents feel that way. Providers of cash, security, safety... until as hosts we are simply consumed and ready to be recycled.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Overheard at anti police brutality rally: Teenage girl: You know what is crazy? I want ti be a detective when I grow up. Teenage boy: me too! *hi5*

Context: A kid in the Bronx ran from cops for a minor possession of MJ ran up into his apartment and was gunned down in his bathroom though he was unarmed.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Emancipation from the bondage of the soil is no freedom for the tree.
-Rabindranath Tagore

Creative Unity by Rabindranath Tagore
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

When a man marries his mistress, he creates a job opening.
Maureen Dowd on Newt and Callista Gingrich

cultivate a white rose
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Simple Minded wrote:I heard this from a friend as commentary on those who are their own worst enemies: "That's why stupid is supposed to hurt!"

Another commentary on someone making a difficult yet stupid mistake is: "They stepped on their dick."
Stupid and impressive. :lol:
cultivate a white rose
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »