Graphics Card Problem

Tea is nought but this: first you heat the water, then you make the tea. Then you drink it properly.
feck

Re: Graphics Card Problem

Post by feck »

check ur HDD controller, take two Turing tests, and call me in the morning
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Post by monster_gardener »

Elusahaumma wrote:Hey, I upgraded my graphics card and PSU today and ever since Windows has been a lot slower - slower starting up and slower in general also. Performance is better in games though, which is good as that's why I bought the graphics card.
The light on my case is ALWAYS blinking and I can ALWAYS hear the little whirring sounds, both things that used to occasionally occur when opening a programme or generally when the computer was thinking, but when I check my CPU usage it is not high at all (at 5% right now). My memory is also only just under half full.
I cannot think what the problem is, I'm sure I've done something wrong - here are my specs:

Intel Core 2 Q9400
Asus P5Q-Pro
Radeon HD 6950
4GB RAM
XFX 850w
Windows7 64-bit

My old specs were the same but with two HD 4850s and a Storm 900w PSU.

Thanks.

Thank you very much for your post, Elusahaumma but I think you are posting in the wrong place..........

Regarding your problem: to speed up your computer, from personal experience I suggest that you keep as few icons as possible on the Desktop and reduce the number of fonts that Windows uses after doing some research about what fonts you must have for Windows to run...........

A good source of Computer Information in general is the Kim Kommando Computer Show

http://www.komando.com/

and

the people at PCMECH might be able to help

http://www.pcmech.com/

There are people here who probably can help more than I can but try these too..................

PCMECH will probably be the place to start.........
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
noddy

Post by noddy »

simple answer for windows after a significant hardware change is backup your stuff and reinstall ... unless you enjoy spending hours on forums and tinkering with drivers and registry settings.
ultracrepidarian
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Post by monster_gardener »

feck wrote:check ur HDD controller, take two Turing tests, and call me in the morning
Thank you Very Much for your post, feck.
take two Turing tests, and call me in the morning
Good one!

;)
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
YMix

Post by YMix »

Moved to Tea Time for lack of a better option. Current Events is not the place for technical advice.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
noddy

Post by noddy »

ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Elusahaumma wrote:Hey, I upgraded my graphics card and PSU today and ever since Windows has been a lot slower - slower starting up and slower in general also. Performance is better in games though, which is good as that's why I bought the graphics card.
The light on my case is ALWAYS blinking and I can ALWAYS hear the little whirring sounds, both things that used to occasionally occur when opening a programme or generally when the computer was thinking, but when I check my CPU usage it is not high at all (at 5% right now). My memory is also only just under half full.
I cannot think what the problem is, I'm sure I've done something wrong - here are my specs:

Intel Core 2 Q9400
Asus P5Q-Pro
Radeon HD 6950
4GB RAM
XFX 850w
Windows7 64-bit

My old specs were the same but with two HD 4850s and a Storm 900w PSU.

Thanks.
1/ Assume you have good anti virus software installed. If not, first suspect is a virus.

2/ Suggest uninstalling the GPU driver and doing a full clean [re]install making sure to download and use the most recent release if you have not already done so.
In my experience, at least on nvidia cards, this typically solves most graphics cards problems.

3/ Have you downloaded and installed the most recent MS updates for W7 x64>

4/ Under each disks Properties -> Tools -> Defragmentation: run it for each disk

5/ Under each disks Properties -> Tools -> Error Checking: as this include the C:\ it will only run after you reboot and will take some time.

6/ As other posters have suggested, if the problem persists, google to see who else has encountered a similar problem

Good luck.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

You guys, this is obviously a spammer. Look at his profile. The sure-fire signs are seemingly innocuous (but oddly irrelevant, in a forum like this) hobbies and the URL to an online store. Expect a flood of these guys now. The best way to deter them that I've found is to set up a QA filter for registration with questions having to do with the nature of this forum, although if we want to attract new members who were not prior members at Spengler's, that will be difficult. Another possibility is to moderate the first one or two posts but I found this to be inadequate because the member list would become overwhelmed by bots (many of which did not post right away), making it difficult to keep tabs on legitimate members.
feck

Post by feck »

Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Once you've been captcha'd, resistance is useless.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Zack Morris wrote:You guys, this is obviously a spammer. Look at his profile. The sure-fire signs are seemingly innocuous (but oddly irrelevant, in a forum like this) hobbies and the URL to an online store. Expect a flood of these guys now. The best way to deter them that I've found is to set up a QA filter for registration with questions having to do with the nature of this forum, although if we want to attract new members who were not prior members at Spengler's, that will be difficult. Another possibility is to moderate the first one or two posts but I found this to be inadequate because the member list would become overwhelmed by bots (many of which did not post right away), making it difficult to keep tabs on legitimate members.
Fool me once . . .
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
crashtech

Re:

Post by crashtech »

feck wrote:Image
^ That's cool!
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Sparky wrote:Once you've been captcha'd, resistance is useless.
You win every thread you post on......XDDDDDDDp...........
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Sparky wrote:Once you've been captcha'd, resistance is useless.
:lol: Very good.