Spirit of the Season

Tea is nought but this: first you heat the water, then you make the tea. Then you drink it properly.
Antipatros

Re: Spirit of the Season

Post by Antipatros »

Best wishes to our American friends for a safe and enjoyable Memorial Day weekend. Do something nice for a veteran (especially if it's yourself).

I'm looking forward to the concert. From last year:

A.J. Cook and Gary Sinise in the 2011 National Memorial Day Concert (Part 1)
wE9nFlymzpI

A.J. Cook and Gary Sinise in the 2011 National Memorial Day Concert (Part 2)
mLscLJvKjVQ
Be not too curious of Good and Evil;
Seek not to count the future waves of Time;
But be ye satisfied that you have light
Enough to take your step and find your foothold.

--T.S. Eliot
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

On this Memorial Day I would like to thank everyone back home that helps keep America strong. If any of you have ever had the pleasure of going to a military town you know that it is supported outside the gate by strip clubs, buffets, discount uniform shops, adult book stores, pawn shops, gun stores, used car dealerships, liquor stores with cheap tobacco outlets, cell phone stores, check cashing shops,and fifteen different types of Korean restaurants. So on this day to honor the sacrifice of our nations youth we should remember what they are fighting for.
Been busy doing stuff
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Hoosiernorm wrote:On this Memorial Day I would like to thank everyone back home that helps keep America strong. If any of you have ever had the pleasure of going to a military town you know that it is supported outside the gate by strip clubs, buffets, discount uniform shops, adult book stores, pawn shops, gun stores, used car dealerships, liquor stores with cheap tobacco outlets, cell phone stores, check cashing shops,and fifteen different types of Korean restaurants. So on this day to honor the sacrifice of our nations youth we should remember what they are fighting for.
Aurora, Illinois?

Do the Korean restaurants all claim to have the best pork bone soup?
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Don't know where else to ask this question. Posted on another forum, someone asks:
"I think I'm turning japanese, i think i'm turning japanese i really think so"

What the heck does that song even mean? It's so weird n creepy. I don't get it.

gEmJ-VWPDM4

. . . and another forum member replies:
I don't think that you want to know the answer.
Against Forum Rules, of course.
Same meaning of 'Blister in the Sun' by Violent Femmes.

So what does it mean?
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

Marcus wrote:Don't know where else to ask this question. Posted on another forum, someone asks:
"I think I'm turning japanese, i think i'm turning japanese i really think so"

What the heck does that song even mean? It's so weird n creepy. I don't get it.

gEmJ-VWPDM4

. . . and another forum member replies:
I don't think that you want to know the answer.
Against Forum Rules, of course.
Same meaning of 'Blister in the Sun' by Violent Femmes.

So what does it mean?
The urban legend that they were trying very hard not to mention is that the song is about male appearance during orgasm. In fact, the song was just about the myriad predictions of Japanese world domination making the rounds at the time. It means no more than "I think I'm turning Chinese" would at the present date.

--T.S. Eliot
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Antipatros wrote:The urban legend that they were trying very hard not to mention is that the song is about male appearance during orgasm. In fact, the song was just about the myriad predictions of Japanese world domination making the rounds at the time. It means no more than "I think I'm turning Chinese" would at the present date.
Thank you . . .
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Typhoon wrote:
Hoosiernorm wrote:On this Memorial Day I would like to thank everyone back home that helps keep America strong. If any of you have ever had the pleasure of going to a military town you know that it is supported outside the gate by strip clubs, buffets, discount uniform shops, adult book stores, pawn shops, gun stores, used car dealerships, liquor stores with cheap tobacco outlets, cell phone stores, check cashing shops,and fifteen different types of Korean restaurants. So on this day to honor the sacrifice of our nations youth we should remember what they are fighting for.
Aurora, Illinois?

Do the Korean restaurants all claim to have the best pork bone soup?
Oak Grove KY. All the authentic Korean Restaurants are also weekend Churches that serve brunch. The rest were sold years ago to the wave of Filipino wifes and usually have mexican cooks. My Buddy Jaiwan use to always check the dumpster before he would go inside. If there wasn't any food in the dumpster he wouldn't eat there. I guess soup is the last life cycle of korean cuisine and if you couldn't smell the soup rotting in the dumpster then they were to cheap to throw it out. He also only ordered food in Korean, if they can't speak it they can't cook it he would always tell me.
Been busy doing stuff
AzariLoveIran

Post by AzariLoveIran »

Isn't it amazing that George Carlin - comedian of the 70's and 80's - could write something so very eloquent ... and so very appropriate.

A Message by George Carlin:

The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings but shorter tempers, wider Freeways, but narrower viewpoints. We spend more, but have less, we buy more, but enjoy less. We have bigger houses and smaller families, more conveniences, but less time. We have more degrees but less sense, more knowledge, but less judgment, more experts, yet more problems, more medicine, but less wellness.

We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast, get too angry, stay up too late, get up too tired, read too little, watch TV too much, and pray too seldom.

We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often.

We've learned how to make a living, but not a life. We've added years to life not life to years. We've been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet a new neighbor. We conquered outer space but not inner space We've done larger things, but not better things.

We've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul. We've conquered the atom, but not our prejudice. We write more, but learn less. We plan more, but accomplish less. We've learned to rush, but not to wait. We build more computers to hold more information, to produce more copies than ever, but we communicate less and less.

These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion, big men and small character, steep profits and shallow relationships. These are the days of two incomes but more divorce, fancier houses, but broken homes. These are days of quick trips, disposable diapers, throwaway morality, one night stands, overweight bodies, and pills that do everything from cheer, to quiet, to kill. It is a time when there is much in the showroom window and nothing in the stockroom. A time when technology can bring this letter to you, and a time when you can choose either to share this insight, or to just hit delete...

Remember; spend some time with your loved ones, because they are not going to be around forever.

Remember, say a kind word to someone who looks up to you in awe, because that little person soon will grow up and leave your side.

Remember, to give a warm hug to the one next to you, because that is the only treasure you can give with your heart and it doesn't cost a cent.

Remember, to say, 'I love you' to your partner and your loved ones, but most of all mean it. A kiss and an embrace will mend hurt when it comes from deep inside of you.

Remember to hold hands and cherish the moment for someday that person will not be there again.

Give time to love, give time to speak! And give time to share the precious thoughts in your mind.

AND ALWAYS REMEMBER:

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Torchwood

Post by Torchwood »

Happy Diamond Jubilee QE2 (or more properly, ER II) ! Date is a bit arbitrary, she acceded to the throne in February 1952 and was crowned in June 1953.

If she makes another four years she will beat Victoria to be the longest reigning British and Empire/Commonwealth monarch

Some friends of ours have a flat overlooking the Thames - fourth floor, but with a lift that takes a wheelchair, fortunately -so we went to see the River Pageant earlier today. Excellent spectacle with 1000 boats, pity about the crap weather but that too is traditional - it rained on her Coronation and on the Silver Jubilee in 1977.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Happy Canada Day.

upsZZ2s3xv8

NFB | National Film Board
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

Typhoon wrote:Happy Canada Day.

upsZZ2s3xv8

NFB | National Film Board
Thank you. And happy Independence Day to our American friends.

--T.S. Eliot
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Happy 4th of July

RSY8un8VTwk
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Yes an entire week of private fireworks displays accompanied with the sounds of fire trucks and the smell of grass fires abound. I'm sure you could go out on the street and find about half of the population isn't really sure what they are celebrating except for a day off of work.
Been busy doing stuff
Demon of Undoing

Post by Demon of Undoing »

Hoosiernorm wrote:Yes an entire week of private fireworks displays accompanied with the sounds of fire trucks and the smell of grass fires abound. I'm sure you could go out on the street and find about half of the population isn't really sure what they are celebrating except for a day off of work.

Oh, don't be so cynical. Go out and do a mag dump, celebrate it the right way.

Personally, I'm going to grill out front with an American flag doo rag on my head, with my AR on a single point sling, cooking two slabs of ribs and corn on the cob, shirtless, listening to the Allman Brothers at eleven, pouring cheap American pisswater beer all over me every few minutes for the tanning effect. I may rent a Camaro for the day and put it up on blocks. Something.

n92AZIlMmsQ
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Hoosiernorm wrote:Yes an entire week of private fireworks displays accompanied with the sounds of fire trucks and the smell of grass fires abound.
Thereby demonstrating one of the key aspects of individual liberty - a founding principle - personal responsibility for one's actions, no matter how ill-considered or face-palm stupid.

SAnkqQFaRw4
Hoosiernorm wrote:I'm sure you could go out on the street and find about half of the population isn't really sure what they are celebrating except for a day off of work.
Really?

Half the population is not aware that they are celebrating the defeat of the alien invaders by Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum?
Demon of Undoing

Zionist covering, for the Jew Jeff Goldblum. Col Sun is a Japanese Jew.

What about Randy Quaid?
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Demon of Undoing wrote:Zionist covering, for the Jew Jeff Goldblum. Col Sun is a Japanese Jew.

What about Randy Quaid?
One day I got on the bus, and when I stepped in, I saw the most gorgeous blond Japanese girl.

I sat beside her.

I said, 'Hi', And she said, 'Hi', and then I said, 'Nice day, isn't it?'.

And she said, 'I saw my analyst today and he says I have a problem.'

So I asked, 'What's the problem?' She replied, 'I can't tell you. I don't even know you.'

I said, 'Well, sometimes it's good to tell your problems to a perfect stranger on a bus.'

So she said, 'Well, my analyst said I'm a nymphomaniac and I only like Jewish cowboys... By the way, my name is Yumi.'

I said, 'Hello, Yumi. My name is Bucky Goldstein.'.
Demon of Undoing

Yipie- kai- yay, baby.
:lol:
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Do we wait 'til after the date to get the punchline?.........

Or..... if this is an example of what we call, 'creative writing', maybe we can open a thread for that....'>..........
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:Do we wait 'til after the date to get the punchline?.........

Or..... if this is an example of what we call, 'creative writing', maybe we can open a thread for that....'>..........
This is one of the two threads that I try to refrain from being a wise-guy, the other being the birthday thread.

I've tried to post only genuine greetings.

I used to think that Americans were immune to sarcasm, just as Japanese are oblivious to irony, but a post a fireworks video and look what happens :wink:

Something has changed in the USA since I lived there . . . and DoU's lead in was simply too attractive to resist . . .
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Typhoon wrote:Something has changed in the USA since I lived there . . .
Not really, I think it's honestly that technology has finally made it to the average guy and he can show the rest of the world all of his moments of mediocrity punctuated with sheer moments of stupidity. For the rest of the world the only access it had to everyday America was newsprint which was usually the standards "NY Times" and banner print media like "Life" or "Time" magazine. The images of everyday life had to make it past a review board and were edited for aesthetics. Nowadays you get raw unfiltered America doing a lot of really stupid things and then posting them online. Everything from butt fireworks to shoplifting videos to cats playing piano. The rest of the high cultures of the world look at every day America and scratch their heads (These assholes really run the world). It's gotta suck for Iranians to have a few millennia of recorded history see butt fireworks and wonder why they don't run the world. The Russians are probably still trying to figure out how they lost the cold war to those coarse unsophisticated Yankees. The Chinese are busy building ships and enjoy selling us our means of societal destruction while the Canadians sneer at us for being what we are, comfortable in our nothingness. Oh well it's national drink beer in the front yard day, enjoy.
Been busy doing stuff
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Hey I know the world is ending and we are running out of everything and the economy sucks and there isn't any tomorrow but man have the folks around here spent some money on fireworks. I think every damn one of them has bought high dollar explosives. It sounded like one of the big re-enactments that you would go to in PA or VA. If folks are pessimistic about the future they sure aren't showing it, people are really celebrating tonight.

I think it has been at least 6 years since I have heard the equivalent amount of booms and blasts.
Been busy doing stuff
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Hoosiernorm wrote:
Typhoon wrote:Something has changed in the USA since I lived there . . .
Not really, I think it's honestly that technology has finally made it to the average guy and he can show the rest of the world all of his moments of mediocrity punctuated with sheer moments of stupidity. For the rest of the world the only access it had to everyday America was newsprint which was usually the standards "NY Times" and banner print media like "Life" or "Time" magazine. The images of everyday life had to make it past a review board and were edited for aesthetics. Nowadays you get raw unfiltered America doing a lot of really stupid things and then posting them online. Everything from butt fireworks to shoplifting videos to cats playing piano. The rest of the high cultures of the world look at every day America and scratch their heads (These assholes really run the world). It's gotta suck for Iranians to have a few millennia of recorded history see butt fireworks and wonder why they don't run the world. The Russians are probably still trying to figure out how they lost the cold war to those coarse unsophisticated Yankees. The Chinese are busy building ships and enjoy selling us our means of societal destruction while the Canadians sneer at us for being what we are, comfortable in our nothingness. Oh well it's national drink beer in the front yard day, enjoy.
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but as the 4th is now over across most of the US,

I should note that the Chinese and especially the Russians are more than holding their own in the new fail video arms [or should that be butts] race.

Don't know about the Iranians. Perhaps Azari can enlighten us.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Happy Bastille Day.

x5dl9x_mireille-mathieu-la-marseillaise-le_music