Spirit of the Season

Tea is nought but this: first you heat the water, then you make the tea. Then you drink it properly.
Typhoon

Re: Spirit of the Season

Post by Typhoon »

Happy Halloween.

QdbLirsZ_4Q
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

vH3-Gt7mgyM
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Happy Hanukkah.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Happy American Thanksgiving.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

A bit early, however, Merry Christmas to everyone

T-D1KVIuvjA
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Well done Typhoon, and very appropriate for this time of year...

ya know lose the hat, and Chuck Norris would look a lot like Jesus...... :)
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Merry Christmas & Happy Yalda

Merry Christmas & Happy Yalda 2014.jpg
Merry Christmas & Happy Yalda 2014.jpg (44.23 KiB) Viewed 2005 times

Yalda

Yalda (Persian: یلدا‎), Shab-e Yalda (Persian: شب یلدا Shabe Yalda‎), "Night of Birth", or Zayeshmehr (Persian: زایش مهر‎) "Birth of Mithra", or Shab-e Chelleh (Persian: شب چلّه‎; lit. "Night of Forty") is the Iranian winter solstice celebration[1] which has been popular since ancient times. Yalda is celebrated on the Northern Hemisphere's longest night of the year, that is, on the eve of the Winter Solstice. Depending on the shift of the calendar, Yalda is celebrated on or around December 20 or 21 each year.

Yalda has a history as long as the religion of Mithraism. The Mithraists believed that this night is the night of the birth of Mithra, Persian angel of light and truth. At the morning of the longest night of the year the Mithra was born.

Following the fall of the Sasanian Empire and the subsequent rise of Islam in Persia, the religious significance of the event was lost, and like other Zoroastrian festivals, Yalda became a social occasion when family and close friends would get together. Nonetheless, the obligatory serving of fresh fruit during mid-winter is reminiscent of the ancient customs of invoking the divinities to request protection of the winter crop.

The 13th century Persian poet Sa'di wrote in his Bustan:

"The true morning will not come, until the Yalda Night is gone".

Following the Persian calendar reform of 1925, which pegged some seasonal events to specific days of the calendar, Yalda came to be celebrated on the night before and including the first day of the tenth month (Day). Subject to seasonal drift, this day may sometimes fall a day before or a day after the actual Winter Solstice.

Yalda Night has been officially added to Iran's List of National Treasures in a special ceremony in 2008.[2]

Iranian Azerbaijanis call it Chilla Gejasi, which means the beginning of the first 40 days of winter.[3]

Contents

1 Yalda tradition
2 Origin
3 References
4 Further reading
5 External links

Yalda tradition
traditional sweet of Yalda in khorasanzibad.
Pomegranate is necessary for Yalda

In Zoroastrian and ancient Iranian traditions, the winter solstice with the longest night of the year was an auspicious day, and included customs intended to protect people from misfortune. On that day, people were advised to stay awake most of the night. To commemorate, people have small parties and gatherings and eat the last remaining fresh fruits from summer.[4]

In modern days, although Yalda is not official holiday in Iran, families continue to hold traditional gatherings[5] Iranian radio and television offer special programmes on Yalda.

The night of the greater Chelleh is called šab-e Chelleh or šab-e yaldā and is the occasion of special ceremonies. In most parts of Iran the extended family gather around and enjoy a fine dinner. Many varieties of fruits and sweetmeats especially prepared or kept for this night are served. In some areas it is believed that forty varieties of edibles should be served during the ceremony of the night of Chelleh. The most typical is watermelon especially kept from summer for this ceremony. It is believed that consuming watermelons on the night of Chelleh will ensure the health and well-being of the individual during the months of summer by protect­ing him from falling victim to excessive heat or disease produced by hot humors. After dinner the older indi­viduals entertain the others by telling them tales and anecdotes . Another favorite and prevalent pastime of the night of Chelleh is divination by the Dīvān of Hafez (fāl-e Hafez). It is believed that one should not divine by the Dīvān of Hafez more than three times, however, or the poet may get angry [6]..

The night of Chelleh is a magically potent night. Its magic however, is primarily associated with eating. For instance, in Khorasan there is a belief that whoever eats carrots, pears, pomegranates, and green olives will be protected against the harmful bite of insects, especially scorpions. Eating garlic on this night protects one against pains in the joints. Placing one’s mouth near a donkey’s ear and whispering into its ear is certain to cure any ailment, while mixing camel fat and mare’s milk and burning them will protect from insects the place where the smoke from this concoction penetrates.[6]

Foods common to Yalda celebration include watermelon, pomegranate, nuts, and dried fruit. These items and more are commonly placed on the korsi, a traditional piece of furniture similar to a very short table, covered by a wool or wool-filled blanket. People sit around the Korsi and put their legs under the blanket. Inside the korsi, heat is generated by means of coal, electricity or gas heaters. Activities common to celebration of Yalda include staying up past midnight, conversation, eating, reading poems out loud, telling stories and jokes, smoking "Ghelyoon" (water pipe), and for some dancing. Prior to invention and prevalence of electricity, decorating and lighting the house and yard with candles was also part of the tradition, but few have continued this tradition. Another faded tradition is giving the present of dried fruits and nuts to family and friends in small parchments tied with ribbon (similar to "favors" currently made for wedding and baby related parties in the United States). Prior to ban of alcohol, drinking wine was also part of the celebration. Despite the Islamic alcohol ban in Iran, many continue to include home-made and contraband alcoholic drinks in their celebrations.

Another common practice on the night of Chelleh involves young engaged men. These send a platter containing seven kinds of fruits and a variety of gifts to their fiancees on this night. In some areas the girl and her family return the favor by sending gifts back for the young man.[6]

Many Iranian-Americans also celebrate Shab-e-Yalda in America. Some go to the extent of dressing up in "mahali" (traditional regional) clothes, and making makeshift Korsi to place the food on and gather around. Others do far less, only wishing each other a happy Yalda in phone calls or on social networks. Some facilities run for Iranian-American children teach about Shab-e-Yalda and some even have Yalda parties. Iranian-American television stations and American radio stations broadcasting in Persian also commemorate Shab-e-Yalda with special greetings and specials programming. There is evidence [7] to suggest that the 40 day period is also observed in Kashmir, India
Origin
This article's remainder may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. No cleanup reason has been specified. Please help improve this article's remainder if you can. (December 2010)

The Eve of the Yalda has great significance in the Persian/Iranian calendar. Shab-e Yalda is a time of joy.

Yalda is traced back to Syriac ܝܠܕܐ, meaning birth.[8] Mithra-worshipers used the term 'yalda' specifically with reference to the birth of Mithra. As the longest night of the year, the Eve of Yalda (Shab-e Yalda) is also a turning point, after which the days grow longer. In ancient times it symbolized the triumph of the Sun God over the powers of darkness[citation needed] .

Mithra, the Sun God remained a potent symbol of worship throughout the following centuries. Centuries later, during the Achaemenid era, Mithra became a principal deity, equal in rank to Ahura Mazda (the god of all goodness) and Anahita (goddess of water and fertility)[citation needed] .

In Sasanian times, Zoroastrianism became Persia's official religion[citation needed], but Mithra's importance remained undiminished. This is evident from the bas-reliefs as Naqsh-e Rustam and Tagh-e Bustan. At Naqsh-e Rustam, Anahita bestows the royal diadem upon Nersi, the Sasanian King. At the investiture of Ardeshir I, Ahura Mazda bestows this diadem to the new King. At Tagh-e Bustan too, Ahura Mazda is again conferring the royal diadem upon Ardeshir II. Mithra is always present as a witness to these ceremonies[citation needed] .

Over the centuries Mithraism spread to Greece and Ancient Rome via Asia Minor, gaining popularity within the ranks of the Roman army. In the 4th century AD as a result of errors made in calculating leap years and dates, the birthday of Mithra was transferred to 25 December[citation needed] .

It was said that Mithra was born out of the light that came from within the Alborz mountains[citation needed] . Ancient Iranians would gather in caves along the mountain range throughout the night to witness this miracle together at dawn. They were known as 'Yar-e Ghar' (Cave Mates). In Iran today, despite of the advent of Islam and Muslim rituals, Shab-e Yalda is still celebrated widely.

It is a time when friends and family gather together to eat, drink and read poetry (especially Hafez) until well after midnight. Fruits and nuts are eaten and pomegranates and watermelons are particularly significant. The red color in these fruits symbolizes the crimson hues of dawn and glow of life, invoking the splendor of Mithra.

' The sight of you each morning is a New Year Any night of your departure is the eve of Yalda' (Sa'di)

'With all my pains, there is still the hope of recovery Like the eve of Yalda, there will finally be an end' (Sa'di)

During the long night, Iranians also practice bibliomancy with the poetry of the highly respected mystic Iranian poet, Hafez. The poems of Divan-e-Hafez, which can be found in the bookcases of almost all Iranian families, are intermingled with peoples' life and are read or recited during various occasions like Nowruz and Yalda Night.[2]
References

Jump up ^ "YALDA: The Persian Winter Solstice Celebration", Payvand News, 2008-12-20, retrieved 2010-11-25
^ Jump up to: a b Iran to celebrate Yalda; longest night of the year
Jump up ^ "چیلله گئجه سی". ahrabnews.com. Retrieved Jan 10, 2012.
Jump up ^ Culture and customs of Iran By Elton L. Daniel, ʻAlī Akbar Mahdī, Page 188
Jump up ^ Dareini, Ali Akbar (December 20, 2008), "Iranians celebrate longest night of the year" (– Scholar search), The Daily Journal, (AP wire story)[dead link].
^ Jump up to: a b c Omidsalar, Mahmoud. "Chelleh In Persian Folklore". Encyclopædia Iranica. Retrieved 2011-12-21.
Jump up ^ News Agencies. 40-day harshest winter period ‘Chillai Kalan’ begins in Kashmir. Retrieved 2013-12-18.
Jump up ^ http://www.premiumwanadoo.com/cuneiform ... anguage=id

Further reading

Price, Massoume (December 8, 1999), Shab-e Yalda, Burlingame: The Iranian
Kianush, K. (August 7, 2005), The Festival of 'Yalda', Highworth: Art Arena
Jafarey, Ali (December 19, 2002), Winter Solstice, Yule, Yuletide, Yalda, Vancouver Community Network
Chabok, Hamid R., Oormazd Night,

:D :D

Heracleum Persicum

" I Can Hear Christmas "

Qp5Dfy_X9Gc

A special duet for Christmas of the legendary Iranian singer Ebi and the Israeli/international artist and renowned peace advocate, Liel Kolet, sending together the message of unity and love between all religions.

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Happy, belated, Hanukkah.
kmich

Post by kmich »

Happy Valentine's Day!

sa0RUmGTCYY
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

And a happy Naw Rúz to you and yours.
Heracleum Persicum

Typhoon wrote:
And a happy Naw Rúz to you and yours.

Thanx, colonel

Observed by

Iran
Afghanistan
India
Armenia
Azerbaijan
Georgia

Iraq
Kazakhstan
Pakistan
Kyrgyzstan
Russia
Syria
Tajikistan
Turkey
Turkmenistan
China (Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region)
Uzbekistan ethnic and religious groups worldwide: Kurdish diaspora
Zoroastrians, Sufis, Ismailis, Alevis, Alawites, Babis, Bahá'ís and the Iranian diaspora. Also observed unofficially in Bosnia, Caucasus, Crimea, India, Macedonia, Serbia, and among Uyghurs and Salars of China.
Heracleum Persicum

nsuAoZ5IYiU
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

A belated Happy Canada Day [1 July]

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Happy US Independence Day [4 July]
10505441_833640686654092_5105778699757573351_n.jpg
10505441_833640686654092_5105778699757573351_n.jpg (76.28 KiB) Viewed 1906 times
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

a9KZ3jgbbmI
Been busy doing stuff
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Just out of curiosity, how do native Americans feel about the 4th?
Deep down I'm very superficial
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Parodite wrote:Just out of curiosity, how do native Americans feel about the 4th?
Do American Indians celebrate the 4th of July?
How do Indians observe the 4th of July? Do we celebrate? To answer, let’s turn back the pages of time. A reasonable chapter to begin in is July 1776, when the Continental Congress adopted the Declaration of Independence and 13 colonies became the United States of America. With the emergence of a nation interested in expanding its territory came the issue of what to do with American Indians. History tells us that as the American non-Indian population increased, the indigenous population greatly decreased, along with their homelands and cultural freedoms.

From the beginning, U.S. government policy contributed to culture and land loss. Keeping our focus on the 4th of July, however, let’s jump to the early 1880s, when Secretary of the Interior Henry Teller developed what has come to be called the Religious Crimes Code—regulations at the heart of the Department of Interior, Office of Indian Affairs, Code of Indian Offenses that prohibited American Indian ceremonial life.

Teller's general guidelines to all Indian agents were to end tribal dances and feasts. Enforced on reservations, the code banned Indian ceremonies, disrupted religious practices, and destroyed or confiscated sacred objects. Indian ceremonial activities were prohibited under threat of imprisonment and/or the withholding of treaty rations.

The Secretary of the Interior issued this Code of Regulations in 1884, 1894, and 1904 through Indian Affairs Commissioner's circulars and Indian agent directives. Indian superintendents and agents implemented the code until the mid-1930s. During this 50-year period, Indian spiritual ceremonies such as the Sun Dance and Ghost Dance were held in secret or ceased to exist. Some have since been revived or reintroduced by Indian tribes.

In response to this policy of cultural and religious suppression, some tribes saw in the 4th of July and the commemoration of American independence a chance to continue their own important ceremonies. Superintendents and agents justified allowing reservations to conduct ceremonies on the 4th of July as a way for Indians to learn patriotism to the United States and to celebrate its ideals. That history is why a disproportionate number of American Indian tribal gatherings take place on or near the 4th of July and are often the social highlights of the year. Over time these cultural ceremonies became tribal homecomings. American Indian veterans in particular were welcomed home as modern-day warriors. The Navajo Tribe of Arizona and Pawnee of Oklahoma are two examples of tribes that use the 4th of July as an occasion to honor their tribal veterans.

Pawnee Indian Homecoming recognizes returning veterans. Pawnee, Oklahoma. This year's homecoming takes place July 4 through 7. Photo courtesy of Pius Spottedhorsechief, vice president of the Pawnee Indian Veterans. Used with permission.

During these celebrations, tribal flag songs and veterans’ songs are sung. More than 12,000 American Indians served during World War I, and after the war, the American flag began to be given a prominent position at American Indian gatherings, especially those held on the 4th of July. This symbol of patriotism and national unity is carried into powwow and rodeo arenas today. It is extremely important to note that before the Reservation Era, when most Indians saw the American flag coming toward their villages and camps, it symbolized conflict, death, and destruction.

Today tribes hold ceremonies and celebrations on or near Independence Day for different reasons. The Lumbee of North Carolina and Mattaponi of Virginia use this time as a homecoming for tribal members to renew cultural and family ties. The Kiowa Tribe of Oklahoma holds Gourd Clan ceremonies on the 4th of July because the holiday coincides with their Sun Dance, which once took place during the hottest part of the year. The Lakota of South Dakota and Cheyenne of Oklahoma continue to have some of their annual Sun Dances on the weekends closest to the 4th of July to coincide with the celebration of their New Year. Some American Indians do not celebrate the 4th of July because of the negative consequences to Indian people throughout history, while others simply get together with family and have cookouts, like many non-Native American citizens.

Jumping ahead to the present: To find out how American Indians across the country spend their 4th of July, we went to Facebook. This handful of replies represents both the diversity of responses we received and the direction of the discussion:

Carnegie, Oklahoma: We celebrate every 4th Gourd Dancing, camping, and visiting my Kiowa people while we’re here, listening to the beautiful Kiowa songs. For three days we are just in Kiowa heaven. Been doing this for years. Now my parents have gone on, but we will continue to attend the Kiowa Gourd Dance Celebration.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma: Do American Indians celebrate the 4th of July? Answer: Yes, it represents freedom in the United States of America. Freedom to continue to worship Creator, freedom to dance my prayers, freedom to sweat, freedom to rise early and pray the day in and be up late to pray the day out. We, the Host People, celebrate the 4th of July every day!

Prewitt, New Mexico, and the Navajo Nation: No, I do not celebrate. Because I as a Diné will never relinquish my belief or understanding that we as a people and a nation have the right to be loyal to the Holy Ones before all others, including the United States of America, since we as a people existed long before there was ever a United States.

Taos, New Mexico: Taos is a very close knit community, and even more so at Taos Pueblo nearby. Both have had many citizens serve in America's military in the heartfelt belief that they are protecting our nation. One of our honored tribal elders is Tony Reyna, 97, who survived the Bataan Death March in World War II. I have been told many times that, for us, the idea of protection goes deeper than for most Americans, because this land is where our people emerged, and that any threat to it is met from a place of deep, deep meaning. People here celebrate Independence Day pretty much as they do everywhere. It's a day off, and there are parades and fireworks displays. But for many we remember WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan, and the sacrifices our people made. I wish all people could remember that, especially those who allow blind bigotry and hate to cloud their judgment.

Parshall, North Dakota, and the Three Affiliated Tribes: The 4th is the celebration of independence, which Native people have practiced as sovereign nations for generations.

Shawnee, Oklahoma: No, I do not celebrate Independence Day, simply because the Declaration of Independence labels my people "our enemies, the merciless savages of our frontiers." You notice they were already calling the frontiers "ours" when the land was not theirs. Because I do not celebrate Independence Day does not mean I am not proud of our Native American veterans and soldiers. I am very proud of them and of the fact almost all Native American families have a family member who is a veteran and/or an active member in the Armed Forces.

Anadarko, Oklahoma: I am Kiowa/Delaware/Absentee Shawnee, my mom is a Kiowa/Comanche, my uncle is a vet, as many of my other relatives are, as well as my stepdad (Comanche/Caddo). My Delaware grandma always said, “This is not our holiday. Out of respect we will honor their day, because our people helped them.” She said, “I will mourn on this day.” She would wear a black dress that day.

Laguna, New Mexico, and the Pueblos of Acoma and Laguna: I celebrate the 4th of July and I do so proudly. . . . When you have been lucky enough to travel and see life in other places, you come to appreciate the home and land you live on. Maybe I'm not as bitter as some of my other Indigenous brothers and sisters because my tribes were not relocated and have been lucky to remain on ancestral lands. Our Pueblo people . . . fought against the Spanish in the Pueblo Revolt, but also learned to harmonize with the Catholic Church. Many years—even centuries—of healing have taken place to get us to this point. And I think by celebrating the 4th of July, I feel I am honoring that healing my Pueblo ancestors have prayed for. . . .

Sawmill, Arizona, and the Navajo Nation: I recognize Independence Day as a day off, as time with family. I recognize that the United States declared its independence on that day, but Native people weren't a part of their envisioned emancipation. As Native people, we recognized our independence through our prayers and practicing our traditions. We didn't need a special day to mark our freedom, we just were. So on the 4th of July, I will practice my American heritage and celebrate this country's Independence Day. But my heart knows I don't need a day to recognize my autonomy.

Oklahoma City and the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma: I think of the 4th of July as American Ideals Day. If only America would live up to its own stated ideals, none of what happened to American Indian people would have happened. Today, if those ideals were finally acted upon, American Indian sovereignty would be fully recognized and the treaties would be kept intact. The fireworks celebrate the great ideals that could be America, if only greed were not allowed to pervert them.

Norman, Oklahoma: My 13-year-old son (Comanche/Cherokee) is currently reading the U.S. Constitution (just because). When I asked him about the 4th the other day, he kind of shook his head and said that most people just don't get it. Reading the comment above on American Ideals Day made me think of how true it is—how little we know about America's ideals of the past and where we hold them now.

Wichita, Kansas: My people, Kiowas, have always held this time of the year as a gathering of all our bands. They would celebrate for a week, indulging in each society’s dances, renewing friendships, visiting relatives, and so on. As we progressed into this modern society we are a part of, we recognized the importance of this celebration even more so. To honor our freedoms and the men and women who sacrificed for us today is truly a reason to celebrate the 4th of July. Does it mean we are to forget our struggles and the plight of our people? NO, but it commemorates the beauty of our land and the resolve of this nation we call America.

As Americans everywhere celebrate the 4th of July, I think about how many American Indians are taking their yearly vacations back to their reservations and home communities. All across Indian Country, tribes hold modern celebrations— including powwows, rodeos, and homecomings—that coincide with the United States’ Independence Day celebrations.

As for me, I just may join thousands of other Americans on the National Mall. I’ll go with my two daughters and watch the huge fireworks display!

—Dennis Zotigh, NMAI

Dennis Zotigh (Kiowa/San Juan Pueblo/Santee Dakota Indian) is a writer and cultural specialist at the Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indian in Washington, D.C.

http://blog.nmai.si.edu/main/2013/07/do ... -july.html
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Great respect for native Americans that choose to create a better present despite a past that could keep them mad with anger for centuries.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Parodite wrote:Great respect for native Americans that choose to create a better present despite a past that could keep them mad with anger for centuries.
Amen Bro! There is no future in living in the past.

In my personal experience, those who cling to a sense of group identity, are the unhappiest people I know.

I doubt there is a human alive who does not have both oppressors and victims in their ancestry. Whether one decides to feel inferior or superior due to ancestry in an act of selective focus.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Simple Minded wrote:
Parodite wrote:Great respect for native Americans that choose to create a better present despite a past that could keep them mad with anger for centuries.
Amen Bro! There is no future in living in the past.

In my personal experience, those who cling to a sense of group identity, are the unhappiest people I know.

I doubt there is a human alive who does not have both oppressors and victims in their ancestry. Whether one decides to feel inferior or superior due to ancestry in an act of selective focus.
Amen and amen again. The forces that direct our focus... :roll:
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Happy Halloween.

_MMqlzXo1k8
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

She irons her jeans, she's evil.........