The Foibles of Four Countries

Tea is nought but this: first you heat the water, then you make the tea. Then you drink it properly.
Torchwood

The Foibles of Four Countries

Post by Torchwood »

The Foibles of Four Countries.

I am amused that there is a real World Series in baseball, Americans do badly at it, and don't even notice.

It is of course true that those of us who speak the Queen's English are the only ones to do so without an accent :D
Simple Minded

Re: The Foibles of Four Countries

Post by Simple Minded »

Torchwood wrote:The Foibles of Four Countries.

I am amused that there is a real World Series in baseball, Americans do badly at it, and don't even notice.

It is of course true that those of us who speak the Queen's English are the only ones to do so without an accent :D
:lol: :lol:

Excellent post Torchwood!!!

We are all toooooo human, which some find to be quite humorous, and others find to be a constant source of irritation.

But like oysters who don't know enough to keep their mouths shut, many of the perpetually irritated neither produce nor cast pearls. ;)

I miss the days when one culture was obviously superior to all others..... sigh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEmJ-VWPDM4
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded wrote:
Torchwood wrote:The Foibles of Four Countries.

:lol: :lol:

Excellent post Torchwood!!!

We are all toooooo human, which some find to be quite humorous, and others find to be a constant source of irritation.

But like oysters who don't know enough to keep their mouths shut, many of the perpetually irritated neither produce nor cast pearls. ;)

I miss the days when one culture was obviously superior to all others..... sigh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEmJ-VWPDM4
:lol:

Back in the 1980's everyone was learning [turning?] Japanese. Today it's Chinese . . . for now. In the future . . . Swahili?

The English language accent that I found the easiest to understand was Canadian, although I found the southern US accent charming once I was able to understand it.

When I lived in the US, my British and Canadian colleagues matched their stereotypes:

British droll wit and understandment: wondering why a colleague was calling me late at night about "a bit of a problem" later coming to understand that this was equivalent to the American fubar.

Canadian politeness and sense of humour: watching a colleague convince an American one, while keeping a perfectly straight face, that back in his hometown they had to roll up the wooden sidewalks at night so that the beavers would not chew on them.

I've yet to experience that famous French arrogance and rudeness while in France.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote: :lol:

Back in the 1980's everyone was learning [turning?] Japanese. Today it's Chinese . . . for now. In the future . . . Swahili?

The English language accent that I found the easiest to understand was Canadian, although I found the southern US accent charming once I was able to understand it.

When I lived in the US, my British and Canadian colleagues matched their stereotypes:

British droll wit and understandment: wondering why a colleague was calling me late at night about "a bit of a problem" later coming to understand that this was equivalent to the American fubar.

Canadian politeness and sense of humour: watching a colleague convince an American one, while keeping a perfectly straight face, that back in his hometown they had to roll up the wooden sidewalks at night so that the beavers would not chew on them.

I've yet to experience that famous French arrogance and rudeness while in France.
good points Typhoon!

Always bet on the poor improving their lot by a greater percentage in the long term than the rich. The mental images that come to my mind are the photos of "redneck" solutions or the pictures of Asians transporting 1000 lbs of dead livestock on a bicycle compared to the pictures of discontented, rich, Western, college kids protesting.

I never woulda guessed from this forum that Canadians have a sense of humor....... MMGW maybe?....... ;)

I think I grew up with some of those Canadians who had a sense of humor in upstate NY.... but they thought they were either Americans or Germans or Italians or Irish or Blacks or Mexicans or Catholics or Lutherans or Bill's fans....... I think that was before it was considered chic to be sophisticated and offended. :o

Large populations both defy and encourage stereotyping. Everyone can find whatever trait they are looking for! Pretty easy actually...... ;) Everybody filters.
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

It's soccer OK, not football! 'Merika is the only place they play it!
Been busy doing stuff
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Hoosiernorm wrote:It's soccer OK, not football! 'Merika is the only place they play it!
To NoS' credit, he did mention the international baseball series.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded wrote: . . .

Large populations both defy and encourage stereotyping. Everyone can find whatever trait they are looking for! Pretty easy actually...... ;) Everybody filters.
Indeed.