News from Forum Participants

Tea is nought but this: first you heat the water, then you make the tea. Then you drink it properly.
Hoosiernorm

Re: News from Forum Participants

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:In real news, I signed Dad into hospice care today. This is an improvement for him - he gets out of the hospital and hopefully home to die in his own house with family soon.

Hopefully Dad will get to listen to me yell at my daughter to keep her room clean and for my wife to gripe at me for "playing" on the computer and not keeping up with the housework. We may be lazy slobs but I think he prefers that to hospitals.
Figured something was up when you posted the same story to the humor thread twice within a month with little less contributed. Kind of like trying to get back to getting away from a few things. Well I would tell you I'm sorry, but then I would apologize to everyone who ever lost a family member. It's just how everything ends up whether we like it or not. Having the time to spend awkwardly with each other when you're really not sure what the right thing to do is, is one of the more assured promises of future mental distress. By the time you get good at it, it's your turn to die so I guess it works out. Time to cry, feel guilty, tell yourself you did the right thing and not sleep much. Knowing where you are and having the comfort of not dying with strangers is a good deal. Then you gotta go bury them with a bunch of strangers, well what the genuflect else can you do with him... Many nights of peace to your father and hopefully not much pain. A few meals and a few moments and a few memories and then we're off again to nothing and vapor and sleep and hopefully God. Take care, know it hurts like hell though.

God Bless
Been busy doing stuff
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Where's the voluble Enki?

Still miss ansuchin a.k.a. An.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Enki wrote a post about going to Tennessee for something but didn't say what it was. I asked how close he would be to Nashville, I wouldn't mind having lunch with him. I sent a PM to An a while back and it has been received (It moved from my out box to my sent box) so someone opened her mail and read it.
Been busy doing stuff
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Hoosiernorm wrote:Enki wrote a post about going to Tennessee for something but didn't say what it was. I asked how close he would be to Nashville, I wouldn't mind having lunch with him. I sent a PM to An a while back and it has been received (It moved from my out box to my sent box) so someone opened her mail and read it.
Note that Enki and Mr. P. have disappeared at the same time.

Did they finally decide to take my advice . . . :wink:
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Sparky hasn't posted in a while. Hope everything is OK.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

YMix wrote:Sparky hasn't posted in a while. Hope everything is OK.
Indeed.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Good to see Alph back, but actually more than a few have stopped posting or post very little. Are the fora attracting new members at all?

From where I sit, it seems lately to have devolved into, what . . the same ten or so members endlessly reiterating stuff upon which they don't agree and never will.

Or maybe it's just me . . anybody else got an opinion?
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Fish camp at our place . . just finished putting up our annual supply of sockeye salmon:

Brother-in-law: 40#
Son & family: 100#
Daughter & family: 70#
Aunt: 40#
Us: 45#

VaFSZUoHPXs

The fish are sockeye or red salmon (same fish, two names), average about eight pounds and yield about four pounds of fillets. They run so thick at times—upwards of 30,000 fish a day—that they are harvested by simply holding a net in the water from the beach or from a boat as pictured in the video above. The fishery, the Personal Use fishery, is open to Alaska residents only. Residents are allowed 25 salmon per head of household with 10 more for each additional family member. Thus my wife and I could take 35 fish, about 140# of fillets. We don't need that much . . 40# - 50# is about all we'll eat until next season.

Just another example, along with our Permanent Fund Dividend, no property tax over $150,000 valuation at 65, free lifetime hunting and fishing license at 60, free car registration at 65, and no state income tax, of living up here.
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
AzariLoveIran

Post by AzariLoveIran »

lavender

now I know who catching our (Canadian) fish

come on, Marcus, come on .. this no sportsmanship .. this rubbery :lol:

first time I see this kind Salmon fishing .. yes they Sockeye, good for barbecue, a bit too fatty .. no Coho , no Spring ? ?

Marcus

Bon appetit . . .

Post by Marcus »

AzariLoveIran wrote:.lavender
now I know who catching our (Canadian) fish
come on, Marcus, come on .. this no sportsmanship .. this rubbery :lol:
first time I see this kind Salmon fishing .. yes they Sockeye, good for barbecue, a bit too fatty .. no Coho , no Spring ? ? .

Damned right, ALI, you think we Alaskans are gonna waste fish on you Canucks? Hey . . go eat your farmed salmon . . ;)

No, it's not "sportsmanship," but neither is flossing them, which is nothing more than finessed snagging. It's about food . . nobody gives a lavender about "sportsmanlike."

Coho come later, lots of them, and we take them with rod and reel from shore or from a boat. "Springs" or king/chinook run earlier. They sometimes get into the PU nets but must be released.

And for those of you who don't know any better than to eat Canadian (or Norwegian or Chilean) farmed salmon, here's a "color chart" used by the manufactures of food for farmed salmon . . pick the color you want your farmed fish fillets and the appropriate dye is added to their food:
SalmFan.jpg
SalmFan.jpg (11.1 KiB) Viewed 11788 times
As Jacques Pepin would say, "Happy cooking."
--- Richard Nixon
—John Calvin
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Diverticulitis, sick, all day at the Doctor's office. CT scan to check and see if my appendix had ruptured. Still feel like hell, could be worse.

Hurts when I laugh

laugh when I lavender myself

God I hope this doesn't last forever

Everything they give me antibiotic wise gives me diarrhea, not sure how I'm suppose to figure out when I'm feeling better.
Been busy doing stuff
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Hoosiernorm wrote:Diverticulitis, sick, all day at the Doctor's office. CT scan to check and see if my appendix had ruptured. Still feel like hell, could be worse.

Hurts when I laugh

laugh when I lavender myself

God I hope this doesn't last forever

Everything they give me antibiotic wise gives me diarrhea, not sure how I'm suppose to figure out when I'm feeling better.
Sounds unpleasant [says Captain Obvious].

U.S. National Library of Medicine | Diverticulitis

It's fiber time.

One of the problems with antibiotics is that they may also kill off the natural and necessary bacteria in one's gut -> the runs

Have you considered trying a probiotic supplement such as Align?
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Have been using Acidophiles milk and eating a pro biotic yogurt. My diet has changed dramatically and I'm only eating about 1800 calories a day. No bread, no fast food, have added Chia Seeds to my orange juice, I eat enough spinach that my feces has already turned green from all of the greens that I have added. The only thing that I'm really not making the mark on currently is my cholesterol intake due to my two eggs in the morning and my sodium which is still between 3500 and 3800 mg per day (That's still half of the average American intake). I thought that I was doing really well on my diet and have even been working out. I don't drink sodas and really don't eat much fat. I'm wondering if my protein powder(Muscle Milk) has left too much undigested whey protein in my colon. I have to go back this afternoon for a follow up and I think to get my order form for a colonoscopy tomorrow.

I've lost 24 lbs (about 2 lbs per week) since I started my diet and have quite a bit further to go (I still weigh 288lbs). I'm waiting to get my dietary restrictions from my doctor and hope that it doesn't change my diet too much further.
Been busy doing stuff
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Started Chantix this morning and I guess I'll see if this stuff works. I've been hesitant about taking something that can seriously alter my brain chemistry but every other option has yielded no results. Hope this doesn't scramble my pumpkin too awful badly.
Been busy doing stuff
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

Hoosiernorm wrote:Started Chantix this morning and I guess I'll see if this stuff works. I've been hesitant about taking something that can seriously alter my brain chemistry but every other option has yielded no results. Hope this doesn't scramble my pumpkin too awful badly.
My own as well as some relatives' experience make me believe that the only efficient way to stop smoking, is stopping smoking... Simple cold turkey. Dramatic at first - at least for some people - it will soon lead to a permanent solution to the problem. Assuming you have a minimum strength of will not to cave in when things get tough. I stopped smoking 45 years ago and never felt like going back. My wife did it a couple of years ago and, although having gone through a very difficult period, is now completely smoke-free.
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Endovelico wrote:
Hoosiernorm wrote:Started Chantix this morning and I guess I'll see if this stuff works. I've been hesitant about taking something that can seriously alter my brain chemistry but every other option has yielded no results. Hope this doesn't scramble my pumpkin too awful badly.
My own as well as some relatives' experience make me believe that the only efficient way to stop smoking, is stopping smoking... Simple cold turkey. Dramatic at first - at least for some people - it will soon lead to a permanent solution to the problem. Assuming you have a minimum strength of will not to cave in when things get tough. I stopped smoking 45 years ago and never felt like going back. My wife did it a couple of years ago and, although having gone through a very difficult period, is now completely smoke-free.
I quit last year but only for a few months. I have tried the vaporizing cigarettes and have tried the patches as well. I just can't seem to be able to get myself where I need to be right now. I think a lot of my smoking is stress related but if I could reduce the effect the nicotine it may help my brain to sever the connection it has to smoking. I have read about all the side effects and the horrible dreams that people have while taking it but I already have that right now and if it can top my dreams about murder, rape, cannibalism, and arson then I'll reconsider my options.
Been busy doing stuff
Doc

Post by Doc »

Hoosiernorm wrote:
Endovelico wrote:
I quit last year but only for a few months. I have tried the vaporizing cigarettes and have tried the patches as well. I just can't seem to be able to get myself where I need to be right now. I think a lot of my smoking is stress related but if I could reduce the effect the nicotine it may help my brain to sever the connection it has to smoking. I have read about all the side effects and the horrible dreams that people have while taking it but I already have that right now and if it can top my dreams about murder, rape, cannibalism, and arson then I'll reconsider my options.

There is a breath mint that comes in a small blue tin that works pretty good. I can't remember the name now but they seem to be in a lot of airport concessions.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

˙ʎןpɐq ooʇ dn ǝɯ ssǝɯ ʇ,upıp xıʇuɐɥɔ
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Hoosiernorm wrote:
Endovelico wrote:
It's estimates that about 1/3 of people who smoke do it as a form of self-medication.

Nicotine is being actively researched for it's beneficial psychoactive properties.

From the rare dream that I do remember, I'm glad that I don't remember my dreams.
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
˙ʎןpɐq ooʇ dn ǝɯ ssǝɯ ʇ,upıp xıʇuɐɥɔ
:shock:
Been busy doing stuff
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

There was an interesting post on the "Cool Tools" blog about 'vaping'. Evidently the Blu electronic cigarette has developed into much more sophisticated drug/flavor delivery systems with better quality equipment and a wide variety of substances. One can now smoke Bavarian Cremes and licorice jelly beans.

http://www.madvapes.com/
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Typhoon wrote:
Hoosiernorm wrote:
Endovelico wrote:
It's estimates that about 1/3 of people who smoke do it as a form of self-medication.

Nicotine is being actively researched for it's beneficial psychoactive properties.

From the rare dream that I do remember, I'm glad that I don't remember my dreams.
I think the real hurdle for me is dealing with stress. I smoke to calm myself probably 1/3 of the time. The rest of it is just habit and addiction. I wish I could just smoke when I needed to and not have the constant nagging habit of nicotine addiction. I've been having such vivid disturbing dreams as of late it really made Chantix less of an obstacle, the last one about the rape, murder, dissection, and cannibalism of a friend from high school was disturbing enough to really open the gate to the possibility of opening up my subconscious. I only woke up from the stress of how I was going to lie about doing it while the police where unpacking his butchered corpse from my freezer all wrapped up in butchers paper and labeled in my handwriting. :roll:
Been busy doing stuff
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Endovelico wrote:
My own as well as some relatives' experience make me believe that the only efficient way to stop smoking, is stopping smoking... Simple cold turkey.
This is what my grandfather did. He came back from the war with a cigarette habit and my grandmother said "stop it. It's a dirty habit and we can't afford the cigarettes." So, he quit cold turkey and hasn't smoked one since. It must have been tough; but he isn't a complainer, and hardly talks much to begin with. He's in his 90s now and grandma is 89. They live in the Redneck Riviera.
Dramatic at first - at least for some people - it will soon lead to a permanent solution to the problem. Assuming you have a minimum strength of will not to cave in when things get tough. I stopped smoking 45 years ago and never felt like going back. My wife did it a couple of years ago and, although having gone through a very difficult period, is now completely smoke-free.
Congratulations to you and your wife for quitting smoking, Endovelico. And double plus good for staying off them.

Good luck to you, Hoosiernorm.
cultivate a white rose
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

As of today, my brother has a BSEE and a new job starting in two weeks, though offers from other companies are still rolling in. I am very happy for him and very proud of him.
Torchwood

Post by Torchwood »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:There was an interesting post on the "Cool Tools" blog about 'vaping'. Evidently the Blu electronic cigarette has developed into much more sophisticated drug/flavor delivery systems with better quality equipment and a wide variety of substances. One can now smoke Bavarian Cremes and licorice jelly beans.

http://www.madvapes.com/
Yeah, I tried coffee flavoured and chocolate flavoured e-liquid, disgusting. I have settled on a Turkish/American tobacco blend flavour with a hint of menthol to give extra kick. I use a low resistance atomiser on the refillable e-cigarette, that makes it more like a real ciggie, although the batteries need recharging a lot and I always carry a spare with me.

Hoosier, I empathise with your battle with the dreaded weed, you are not the only one. I have tried patches, gum, hypnotism ("you are now asleep and have lost all desire to smoke" I could hear the hypnotist saying. "No I am not and no I haven't" a little voice said in my head...). Oh, and Chantix, which had no effect - did not warp my brain (well, no worse than usual) or stop me wanting to smoke!

Vaping is the best, although I still have lapses. I realised that it was the oral process of smoking that gave as much satisfaction as relieving the chemical addiction. In other words the addiction is as much in the head as in the body chemistry.

I converted to ecigs - then last year's illness and death of the wife, it was a question of getting through each day, went straight back to the Real McCoy. Emotionally I am doing fine since she died, physically I need to get in shape. Lost 6kg/14lbs last year it is all back now, but then, what a way to go on a diet. Cholesterol not too bad, but blood pressure a bit high even with the pills, and blunt (and justified) warning from son: " I have lost one parent to cancer, I don't want to lose two".